UMass Medical School Management reviews

Summary
Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJuly 5, 2018
UMass is not a fun place to work. The do not know how to treat there employees. The pay is decent for being a medical school but other than that the environment is negative.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 27, 2018
I am very happy with UMASS medical school research environment, work culture and management. This is a wonderful place for high quality basic and translational research.
No Summary
Fire Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 13, 2017
No Summary, not interested in telling more about my employer. The management there is very tough to work with and there is little help from HR department.
good work life balance
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMay 18, 2017
Good work life balance, good training programs. The company, supervisor and management cares about the employees. The company is conveniently located
Typical old style run it till it fails and blame the maintenence mentality
Engineer Building Systems Operator/ Control Tech (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 24, 2016
Mid Management is a bit old school. My position is very demanding as I am understaffed. Equipment is antiquated and inefficient but aesthetics overrules efficiency I guess.
There are many good workers there with great attitudes but are frustrated by the ones who can't do there jobs but are only there because they are friends with someone high up like the director or a Senator, typical in many institutions.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Lazy workers frustration
Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 7, 2016
Worked at UMass Med for 8 years. Collaborated with great scientist and faculty. HR/Management was disconnected with employees which made getting information more difficult that it should be.
Pros
great labs and research
Cons
HR and Management
Fast paced
Desktop Engineer System Admin (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 13, 2015
Sometimes fast can get in the way of getting things done, but fast paced keeps you moving and improvising on solutions.
It's fun working with a variety of customers such as students, faculty, administrative staff and senior executive.
A Living Nightmare
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAMay 23, 2015
I worked for UMass Medical School for a couple years. In my time with the school I was devalued as an employee and under the constant harassment of an unqualified supervisor who was threatened by my credentials which far exceeded hers. Management created a hostile work environment and instigated coworkers to form allegiances against other employees. You will be working among many bitter, middle aged women. Human Resources and the Union workers were of no assistance in resolving or even addressing these matters.

The building was absolutely filthy and had poor ventilation. I had a vent over my desk that would put out some thick yellow dust. I would need to sanitize my desk and area a couple times throughout the day to eliminate most of it. All you will hear is coworkers coughing and sneezing. The carpets would go a long time unvaccumed or cleaned. It was at everyone's discretion to clean their individual cubicle area (most opted not to do so). I had one woman personally scream at me because the chemical smell of a Lysol wipe was causing her breathing problems so I'd wait until she was not around to clean my area.

The micromanaging was unbelievable. We would spend more time explaining/justifying our actions than actually doing our job. Bathroom breaks timed, had coworkers keeping an eye on each other incase something was missed by Supervisor, etc. I was headed toward a mental breakdown always worried what the next criticism/attack would be! It was a very easy job made unnecessary difficult.

I was advised by my Supervisor I couldn't use a personal day to attend a family
  more... member's funeral and reprimanded for attending despite exemplatory attendance. I was reprimanded for attending.

They look for reasons to deduct from your paycheck. They take a lot out towards retirement, you don't put in for Social Security, they charge for parking (@ least $416 a year) and look for reasons to fine you in parking lot, union dues, etc.

I strongly recommend anyone considering employment to really explore all your options because serious changes need to be made to promote a healthy and thriving work environment. Many departments have little to no advancement opportunities. I was advised upon hire there was plenty of advancement opportunities; however, long standing employees painted the same bleak picture I saw.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Micromanaging, bullying, dirty work environment, many deductions from paycheck
Not recommended
Veterinary Technician I (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 25, 2014
Worst management in my entire career, poor work environment, the employees are very downcast and discouraged
Pros
good compensation
Cons
poor working atmosphere
Large Company - Small Department feel
Project Coordinator/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MANovember 25, 2013
Initially, I enjoyed the culture of the company. However, after upper management changed 3 times, so did the culture. I was however, part of a small group of individuals that made the organization feel like a small company, which was nice. Although the company was very large, being part of the 'small' group I could see where I had an impact on the company. I enjoyed being part of the project I was working on. Everyday I experienced something new and was continuously multi-tasking, which I enjoy.
Pros
Working on a very important project, which allowed my to multi-tasking and utilize the majority of my skills.
Cons
Frequent change in upper management. Eliminating consultants.
Flexible
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 1, 2013
• Administering and proctoring several exams throughout the academic year, typing correspondence, memoranda, reports and minutes, filing, and maintain filing system, etc.
• Responsibilities included coordinating travel arrangements, travel reimbursements, telephone appointments, and meetings
• Office Management
• Assist with other duties/projects as assigned
UMass Medical School
Administrative / Financial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 18, 2013
I started in 1985 as a medical secretary working for 2 extremely busy orthopedic surgeons. My responsibilities were all medical transcriptions from clinic visits. Travel Reimbursement
In 1990 I changed from Orthopedics to urology as the division secretary. In 6 months I was promoted to the Division Manager responsible for budgets, recruitment of faculty, residents and secretarial support. This position was eliminated in June of 1995.
I temped in Human Resources from July of 1995 to May of 1996, at which time I was hired as an administrative assistant for Facilities Management. During my time there I was promoted to a financial analyst IV and then to an Administrative Assistant III.
Pros
Diverse department always changing leadership
Cons
No career advancement
Worse job I ever had
Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlestown, MAFebruary 14, 2013
UMASS is divided up into many smaller units each with their own structure and culture. There's a lack of leadership guiding the units so the directors of each unit does whatever they want without repercussion from upper management or human resource. If you're fortunate enough to fall into the correct unit then the job here should be fine, but if not, run. Run and don't look back. This place is a career killer. Job advancement and movements within the organization is nonexistent. Gossip, drama, and backstabbing is high and encouraged. The turnover rate is high, I've seen half my unit fired or quit in 2 different instances in 2 years (a unit of 15 people). I wouldn't wish employment here on my worse enemy.
Pros
plenty of vacation time, holidays, sick time. easy job.
Cons
high turnover rate, too much drama, poor management, hr always sides with management, lack of leadership and direction from up top, poorly structured organization
OK place to work
Service Provider Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 24, 2012
Some managers are not well organized and don't know how to support hard working employees.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
some managers need more training.