UMFS Employee Reviews

Guilded but corrupt school
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 12, 2019
The Charterhouse sector of UMFS is a very corrupt money machine. Teachers, support coaches, and therapist don't get the respect they deserve for the hard work they do. I have seen lower level administrative members make mistakes, and then fire subordinates using false stories - to cover themselves from getting in trouble with admin elite. I have seen admin fire workers merely for advocating for staff/student rights. Leadership has no accountability, sadly.

Whats even worse, I have see admin straight up lie to public schools, parents, and LEA at IEP meetings about services that they provide(transitional services, summer school, etc)
Pros
great medical benefits
Cons
a sad, sad place
It’s a nice place to work ceo is a great guy
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 23, 2019
Made a lot of friends here love working for them. The time off is good the pay is great and they take care of you. The maintenance department has a lot to do but everyone there shows there Appreciation
Everyone is focused on improving the lives of youth's from start to finish of each day.
FFT Clinician (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 24, 2019
I really love the culture. I am the only Male in my office and sometimes its difficult. Worked at many places and I can't say these things about them.
Pros
All employees work very hard for the organization
Cons
Have not seen any negativity.
A wonderful cause, but very political.
Foster Parent Recruiter (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 6, 2019
I adored my work with UMFS, but often found that despite my skills or ideas, the organization was stuck in the past, not often ready to explore new ideas and concepts. The mission and vision are truly admirable, and there are many kind folks at UMFS.
Pros
Feel good work life
Cons
political, not much room for advancement, old school, regimented
I enjoyed the campus, the friendly and intelligent staff.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 4, 2019
I assisted with journal entries, reconciliations, financials and other assignments presented to me. Worked with Development Department on donation reconciliations.
rewarding and stressful
Exceptional Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 25, 2019
If you are going to do anything but teach this is an amazing place to work. The stress that teachers have is intense and when the management changed a few years ago, the new management doesn't seem to care.
Loving Coworkers
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 18, 2019
For a job as a social worker (which is generally disheartening if you do not have supports), this job is wonderful. The coworkers are like family and make sure you are well valued. The pay is low, but it IS a non-profit organization. You do qualify for PSSLF while working here as a social worker. Most importantly, when you come across a crisis, your people are 100% there for you and will help you before blaming you.
Pros
Work environment, guarenteed to never work over 40 hours, the occasional team-building luncheon
Cons
Low pay, not many holidays
Umfs
Youth counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2019
A typical work day started at 1pm and until 11pm unless someone was late and did not come in for their night shift. Management did not always help but was first to complain when you did not reach out.

Allowed some staff to do one thing but bashed another employee for doing the same thing (favoritism)
Pros
great co workers, great children that wanted to do better
Cons
managemnt
Productive and Fun workplace
Leland House (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Centerville, VAJanuary 9, 2019
A typical day at work is very productive and fun with lots of interaction with the youth. Individual session, group session, family session and outing activities.

Management are involved in see to daily function of the center, with support in any area to all therapist on floor. supervision is held with each therapist areas that needs support.

Diversity is huge at the center and that create a huge workplace culture with respect and honor.

The hardest part of the job is having family session, where families do not agree on what is best for the youth.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when a youth successfully complete their treatment and are discharging, going back to home and their community.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short break
fun place to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 23, 2018
Fun nice kids and do a lot of things with the kids ex: take them on trips , movies , sport games , Concerts and more and you can also adopt kids from there if eligible
Pros
alot of trips
Cons
no relieve
Great non-profit agency to work for
Intern (Former Employee) –  South Hill, VADecember 10, 2018
During my internship at UMFS was amazing. Co-workers worked well together and very supportive of others and clients. Work was fast-paced and stressful, but reward fulling.
Not very employee friendly
Day School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 24, 2018
Then atmosphere was all about the management team. The workers were left to cover work while the managers attended social functions on campus.
Decisions were made for the medical department by nonmedical managers.
Pros
Schol closed for bad weather
Cons
Not many cudos for a job well done, Managersa liked to party and have fun while the workers were doing the job.
Second Career/Career Switcher - GREAT PLACE TO WORK
FSP/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 18, 2018
I am currently working at UMFS and I love it. Best culture I have ever worked in. Families and children are CLEAR priorities. Co-workers are friendly and open - a very collaborative atmosphere is encouraged.
If you like helping kids and families, you'll love working at UMFS!
Family Support Partner (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 10, 2018
Great place to work. Everyone is passionate about helping at-risk kids and families. Employees are empowered to make changes that will benefit the families we work, other members of the team and the organization as a whole.
While the company has a couple hundred employees in Richmond and there is a great deal of upward mobility, the NOVA office only has 15 employees, and there's not much room to move up. The positive side of the small local office is that I have been able to work on several projects in 5 years as a part-timer here.
The management really gets to know everyone and does a great job making employees feel valued and heard.
Difficult Staff and Management
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 2, 2018
The work environment is very unprofessional. There are employee cliques. Also, upper management is clueless to what happens in the cottages. They provide impractical solutions to cottage life problems. The kids have no sense of accountability due to the company policy which has a "no consequences" view. Staff is not supported.
UMFS is constantly looking to improve their work with youth and families
Residential Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 2, 2018
UMFS offered various trainings and valued continuous research of evidence based practices. Staff were committed to the needs of the children and wanted to enrich each and every child's life by truly getting to know them.
Helping the Youth of Central Virginia
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 21, 2018
United Methodist Family Services is an organization that works with foster and adopting children. They offer programs for students who have been placed in this environment. Students go to school all year round.
Family oriented
Family Support Partner (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 13, 2018
Great place to work. The management is great. They are there to help you succeed and help you do your best. They are caring and understand the importance of family.
Internship -
Social Work Case Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 10, 2018
This was a great experience. I learned so much, and my supervisor was very helpful, encouraging, and willing to give me more levels of responsibility as my skills grew. A truly great organization.
Pros
Atmosphere, Mission
Cons
Emotionally taxing at times
Low pay , poor management & dangerous,
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 31, 2018
This company sucks with LOW PAY , poor management and the place is dangerous wilth no security. The birth parents, employees and kids are a danger to the workers. They come on campus with threats and the police stays there all the time.
Pros
non
Cons
too many clicks....