UMKC Employee Reviews

the pay is as low as moral
Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 11, 2018
There have been a lot of layoffs because of state budget issues but even before that, there were plenty of issues. Salaries are lower than the market rate and raises are rarely given and when they are approved, they are never more than two percent. It has been years since UMKC has given out raises. There is very little room for advancement and a 75% of employees have said they have thought about leaving the university.
Pros
decent amount of time off
Cons
salary, moral is low, difficult students
Fun workplace
Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 11, 2018
Kansas City is a very fun workplace with lots of very nice students and faculty. The most enjoyable part of my job was the students that I was able to work with.
It's alright
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSApril 20, 2018
I dont have time to put the thought into giving a legitimate review. It is almost the end of my semester and I'm overloaded as it is. This is completely irrelevant to me.
Great place to learn and a wide variety of projects to work on
Senior Media Producer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 20, 2018
We get to work with many clients, so it allows for a variety of work (i.e. magazines, billboards, brochures, logos, websites, emails, invites, etc.) The workplace culture is very supportive and collborative.
a good place to work however the layoffs are not beneficial.
Cook Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 27, 2017
I like working for UMKC but the hours are not equal to the pay I should receive and the layoffs are not beneficial

I enjoy the diversity of individuals who work for this company. Everyone gets along well and the staff is helpful;.
UMSystem is vulnerable to Budget Cuts
SYSTEM SUPPORT ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  KC MOOctober 6, 2017
Whenever the state decides it needs to balance the budget by cutting education, get ready for layoffs. It doesn't matter where you are or who you are. No job is safe.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No opportunities
Umkc
International Student Liaison/Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 25, 2017
Highly recommend working here. The staff and benefits are hard to beat and I thoroughly enjoy what I do everyday. The university is a great atmosphere to be in.
Home away from Home.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 21, 2017
This job did not pay much but it worked well with my schedule while I was working at the IRS and being a full time student. They will and forever will be my family.
ok to work here but pay is horrible
Telecommunication Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 13, 2017
good to work here but management is horrible and do nothing and make all the money.. meanwhile you work and get paid chump change. it is not a stressful job though. worst part is they know employees are underpaid and they do not fix it..
Pros
easy going
Cons
not enough pay
Horrible Treatment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 30, 2017
They are awful and very inconsistent. They are unfair, discriminatory, and do not follow the standards that they are supposed to as some student workers are treated better. For example, I never got a break not for lunch or anything, even when i worked 12 hours straight. when I did use the bathroom or take a break, they would hold that against me.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything, bias, rude, unfair, play favorites
The workplace was very relaxed and group oriented
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 26, 2017
The laboratory was group based work. It consisted of titrations, distillations, NMR Spect, thin layer chromatography, etc. I was also responsible for maintaining a safe and sanitary environment.
Productive and fun
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 14, 2017
I like studying at UMKC. The professors and stuff are very helpful and nice. I love studying statistics and it is an integral part of my mathematics knowledge.
n/a
Internship (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 7, 2017
A typical day as an intern is showing up, checking in with my supervisor to get the days work, work until lunch,come back finish up anything my supervisor had assigned me for then day then leave.
Incredible Journey of Community Collaboration
Project Director of GEAR UP/Project SHIFT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 18, 2017
My experience as the Project Director of GEAR UP/Project SHIFT was life changing! The support of the UMKC staff was bar none the best in the world! Every manager supported our efforts to help more than 3000 students in the Kansas City area realize their dream of entering and graduating from an institution of higher learning. The workplace culture was collaborative and supportive of professional and personal goals. The hardest part of the job is that it was a 6 year grant and that it ended in 2006! I would gladly return to UMKC if the opportunity presented itself!
Good place
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 19, 2017
I love to work for this place again. Great place to work for, great school. UMKC is the best. Good management, great professors.
A good teaching job to learn how to be a teacher.
Spanish Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 5, 2017
I taught one section of Spanish III and also I was a grader in the History department.

I enjoyed teaching in this university and also I learnt from experience because I was independent to chose how to teach my own classes.
UMKC is wonderful place to learn. The environment is very friendly.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 2, 2017
UMKC has a wonderful environment. All the faculty and staff is very helpful. School of pharmacy has very broad research interest.
ok job
Building Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 18, 2016
I do everything there I run machine, Check log sheet, stack supplies class e license have to be able to save money for the budget building Maintence
Pros
school for discount
Cons
short staff
Knowledgeable space
SASSO Tutroing (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 15, 2016
I like working here. Its an ever learning environment. The coworkers are really helpful and the management manages it really well.
Productive and Fun Workplace
UMKC One Card Office Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 2, 2015
It's a very much customer service based job where you help students and faculty/staff members with any queries or problems they may have.