Umpqua Bank Employee Reviews

Enjoyed the Culture
Store Manager III (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAJuly 17, 2018
Umpqua Bank is a community bank that despite the economic hardships on the industry is still trying to do what's right for the community and the people that they serve. It's an ethical company and they believe in what they do.
Customer Centric changing to Sales Culture
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 8, 2018
Culture has changed with Umpqua. Existing employees confused with indentity though it is necessary to evolve and become more effecient and profitable.
Pros
Community based
Cons
Job roles conflict
Hardworking helpful team members
Home Lending Team Support (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 15, 2018
The department I am in is full of talent and knowledge. As a company overall they have experienced quite a bit of growth in the past five years and are now streamlining their processes and finding their voice, so it is a great opportunity to help shape the company culture or even your department. They are also conservative and consistent when it comes to banking strategy, so you do not have to worry about a tarnished reputation.
Pros
Encourage volunteer work
Cons
Brand is not streamlined
Overall a decent place to start your career
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 7, 2018
Typical days involve a "motivational moment" which is a required team-building activity every morning. They heavily promote involvement in the community including volunteering, using company property for community events, handing out ice cream, etc. The job was wonderful and all the people there want to do their best, but they are under-staffed in many areas, which causes key associates to be burned out easily.
Pros
paid volunteer time
Cons
poor work/life balance for some
Underwriter
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJune 1, 2018
There is no way to improve your position or career. Umpqua did not offer any training or opportunities to obtain certifications for underwriters. For example, no FHA or VA training.
Fun Place to work
Mortgage Loan Servicing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 30, 2018
Great Perks. Free coffee once a month, fun activity each morning to motivate you, free healthcare for employee, lots of paid time off, lots of activities. opportunities to advance.
Pros
Free Healthcare, Gym on Site, Mass Transit Reimbursement
Cons
Can be stressful to the point of affecting home life.
High stress, no fun at all
Store Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Roseburg, ORMay 23, 2018
With our recent merger and subsequent shakedown of management, the bank is not the same. All the perks that made things bearable are gone, and the Umpqua Bank culture with it.

They would rather rate us annually on our 'feelings' than on the actual work we do.
Benefits
Cons
Was* a great place to work until they became very sales driven.
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarkston, WAMay 10, 2018
Umpqua’s mission statement is great but they don’t live by it. Certain managers need to learn how to properly manage their employees and not play favorites. Don’t ever work for this bank!
Cons
Long hours, horrible management, stressful environment, limited advancement opportunities
The most enjoyable part of my job
Construction/Renovation Processor (Former Employee) –  Washington StateMay 8, 2018
Was being able to make custom homes dreams come true for the customers and working with some amazing loan officer's who enjoyed the construction mortgages as much as i did.
If you want to work in banking, this is the best place to do it
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 2, 2018
Umpqua cares about its employees. You are treated incredibly well by management and everything is done with a team approach. Depending on what location you are based in, your day to day will look very different. In my location there was lots of down time and our day was primarly focused on trying to bring new business into the bank.
Pros
Incredible benefits, incentives, positive work environment
Cons
base salary
Fast paced working environment
Store Lead Associate MLO (Current Employee) –  Yuba City, CAApril 20, 2018
Every day you are challenged to find new ways to create unique solutions for customers. If you enjoy a fast paced work environment where the hours fly by this is the bank for you.
Pros
Learn to perform all aspects of banking
Cons
Salary, management
Retail Environment Brutal, Cutthroat
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 17, 2018
Umpqua Bank retail isn't the world's greatest bank; far from it.

You have to be young to work there, or just clinging to your job if you were prior Sterling.

Management is inexperienced and uninformed. They keep asking what they can do to make things better, and we kept telling them. Ignored. Completely.
Wire Transfer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97201March 31, 2018
do not recommend the wire transfer department of the bank, very easy for things to get overlooked. very stressful work environment, people cussed on daily basis, or just got up and walked out of room at times.
Umpqua cannot keep up with the banking industry
PERSONAL BANKER (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CAMarch 27, 2018
The culture is cut-throat. If you do not drink the coolaid then you dont stand a chance. It is very cult like. They treat employees like kindergartners. Pennies for an annual raise. Rewarded with treats and jeans day. Very high expectations with no return. Cut positions, hours and quartely incentives.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Favoritism. Low pay. Terrible culture. No upgraded technoligy
productive and fun place to work
IP Specialist III Item Processing (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 25, 2018
the most enjoyable part of my job was the work, I enjoyed balancing and doing data entry for the daily bank transactions. Also I have met and made great friendships with some of the co-workers. workplace culture is fun and encouraging. As I got to know some of my managers in my department I was disappointed of their biased and unfair treatment. They were in it all for themselves and not helping others advance. the work was stress free and relaxing environment, unless the system crashed and then we needed to pull overtime.
Pros
free lunches, lots of prizes, great atmosphere, lots of celebrations
Cons
micromanagement, biased manager
Better than average job experience
Regional Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMarch 9, 2018
The idea of the culture is fantastic, but not all departments embrace the culture. Love the benefit of being paid up to 40 hours per year to volunteer.
Pros
40 hours per year to volunteer, paid
Cons
better career development and grooming
Great culture and compassion
Senior Technology & Digital Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 7, 2018
Overall, Umpqua Bank is a really wonderful place to work, and there is true work life balance, which really embodies the spirit of a community bank and it's people and commitment to local first. Based on the number of Associates and bank's assets, we are no longer a small, community bank; however, our people have that level of caring and compassion and empathy.

One of many things I really think is phenomenal, EVP, SVP, and VP's and encouraged to highlight people on his or her team who lives Umpqua Values either per project or throughout the fiscal year, and the recognition is a small but very meaningful way to say "thank you -
your work helps of all - and you matter to this bank".

Collaborative
Curious
Customer-Obsessed
Horrible place
Universal Associate II (Former Employee) –  Bandon, ORFebruary 23, 2018
Since day one I worked there the management sucked, went through 3 managers while I was there and they pulled some type of favoritism towards certain employees, and those employees weren’t even the hardest workers. No team players which made it hard everyday to be there and then all the gossiping and backstabbing was horrible.
Pros
Medical, dental
Cons
Management, backstabbing
co-workers make it nice
Wholesale Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORFebruary 21, 2018
It has been a long time since I worked here. I remember that the manager favored a lot of different employees. Sometimes it is difficult to get help. Close to home.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
favoritism
Fast paced environment, Many responsibilities
Drive up Teller (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORFebruary 16, 2018
It was a very fast paced environment with many responsibilities. I learned that not every customer was happy to be at the bank. I also learned how to read customer's body language and not try to push product on them if they acted uninterested. The culture was great, I knew many customers on a first name basis and always went above and beyond for every customer. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system and all of the product we had to offer. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting more responsibilities once my manager saw I could handle them. Also, building professional relationships with customers was pretty rewarding.
Pros
Free designer checks, hour lunch breaks, good health benefits
Cons
Untrusting customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Umpqua Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight