Umpqua Bank Employee Reviews

worst management
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 22, 2019
if you notice they are constant hiring and that is due the the lack of leadership. They can not hold on to employees in the boise area. It is hard to work for the management, as they provide very little training
Pros
its a job
Cons
horrible place to work
Seasoned bank staff avid this one.
Universal Banker mlo (Former Employee) –  Yuba City, CAJanuary 18, 2019
Okay place to work. In over 15 months no pay raise. They are trying to compete with big banks instead of focusing on what made them a good community bank. Switching from UA and UB to more of a traditional platform and teller set up. Very little room for growth. High turnover, manager accountability needs a ton of improvement. Area managers do not monitor managers enough. Employees get thrown under the bus for bad managers system wide. Horrible disjointed training.
Pros
Slower locations closed weekends
Cons
No pay raises
Stuck in the past
Risk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 7, 2019
Silo's, entrenched "old school" mentality and hostile work environment in the FID. While the company spouts "open discourse," if you avail yourself of that you will find yourself retaliated against and soon the "problem" yourself.

Stay away.
Pleasant team
Rover (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJanuary 3, 2019
The team here is very pleasant, they are very understanding and accepting. I would definitely recommend working here. You learn a lot and take the experience here to any other location. Ample amounts of opportunity to grow in this establishment.
greet employees, customer service is excellant, diverse company.
Customer Experience Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario, ORDecember 12, 2018
Throughout the day, a teller at Umpqua Bank is interacting with customers in person, over the phone, and drive thru. They are expected to know regulations, procedures, fraud systems, basic customer needs, store cash shipment, and product rates/ information. They are trained in Teller, possibly have a notary, and wires. Working for this company I have learn how to provided a customer with great one-on-one customer service, handle sanative situations with grace and be compassionate, and financial needs/ benefits. Umpqua is filled with laugher, positivity and a great work environment. I love who I work with, work for, and the community I serve.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly environment, company wants you to be successful.
Cons
short staffing, store goals
Okay not great
Vice President / Senior Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 12, 2018
The job turned out to be something that my manager and I didn't expect and didn't fully utilize my abilities. It is a great place for those who are a fit.
Pros
Evolving culture with a goal of being a top tier bank
Cons
Execution of directives - communication to local offices.
Fun workplace, love what they stand for
Bank Manager (Current Employee) –  Roseburg, ORDecember 10, 2018
I have worked for Umpqua for over 13 years, I have enjoyed growing with this company and if I could take them with me, I would. My goal at this time is to relocate to the east coast.
Pros
Community orientated
Best bank to work for!
Lead Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORNovember 30, 2018
Great company that cares about their employees as much as they do their customers. Great place to work! I worked over many years with different managers and associates, everyone always very kind and helpful. Hard to find employers like these.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Advancement
Great People
Back Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 29, 2018
The Spokane experience I had was great. I was a Sterling employee first, then became an Umpqua Associate. The company did great things and was good to me and my family. I would work there again and I choose to continue to do all of my personal banking there.
Pros
Great products, great people
a sales culture
Contact Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 25, 2018
Umpqua operated with several levels of management.

Little empowerment and their was little work/home balance.

Travel was required every 2 months.
My time with Umpqua Bank
Customer Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 7, 2018
In my time with Umpqua bank I was hired as a part time 20 hour teller. When a position came available for a 31 hour position I was told by the manager "It is easier to hire for the 31 hour position then it is for the 20 hour position, so we will have you stay at the 20 hour position." Then another position came available for 40 hours and I was told my the manager, "The regional manager and area manager solved my problem by hiring an outside person from a credit union." That was when I gave my notice.
Life at Umpqua
VP Private bank credit manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 30, 2018
Excels at telecommuting. Has no issues with geography. Excellent community support for team members that are generally active and engaged. Work/life balance can be an issue depending on what function of the bank you work in, but generally an excellent employer.
High Pressure Sale Culture
Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Washington StateOctober 30, 2018
Job originally hired for an operational position which was changed after 45 days of employment to a high pressured sales position. Unreasonable goals and highly micromanaged. Management uses intimidation, humiliation and fear tactics as motivators. 5 of the 6 staff members quit in 9 months. Cold calling is the culture as well as Wells Fargo like sales tactics.
Pros
Incentive Pay
Cons
No scheduled breaks. Salary adjustments
Friendly Local Bank
Loan Officer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, OROctober 25, 2018
The front lines of the Bank try to exemplify the mission statement of “World’s Greatest Bank” in earnest. Most everyone I interact with tends to be genuinely pleasant and customer focused. Unfortunately, upper management is dominated by old white guys and the boys’ club attitude that comes with that. And the age gap developing leaves a lot to be desired in terms of inter-office discourse.
enjoyed my mananger and co-workers
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Riggins, IDOctober 11, 2018
Enjoyed meeting all Umpqua Bank employees, great interaction. Excellent health benefits and 401k plans. paid volunteer hours to help local community.
Pros
paid volunteer hours for community
Great Company
DIGITAL CLIENT ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 3, 2018
For the majority of my experience, this company cares about the employees and continues to do what is best for the employees and their customers. There is always room for improvement though.
Pros
Work/life Balance
Cons
Promotes Volunteering although it is difficult to get time off to do so!
Nice people
Branch Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WASeptember 22, 2018
I really enjoyed working with all the people in the office, they were always willing to help with any questions I had. The one on one training could be a little longer especially for a person new to the industry.
productive very quiet place
CEA-Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Arbuckle, CASeptember 19, 2018
I learned a lot of new things working here, meet lots of wonderful customers. Management wasn't too great, a lot of racism going on that made me feel really uncomfortable. Overall everything else was great!
Pros
Great people & benefits
Cons
Bad management
Small friendly bank
Universal Associate I (Former Employee) –  Healdsburg, CASeptember 10, 2018
Their motto is worlds greatest bank, and try to teach all the employees to think that way and provide the best service they can to customers in every aspect of the company.
Strong Culture Under Attack
Executive (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 28, 2018
Umpqua Bank has a strong brand with a withering culture. There is a great group of individuals who are holding this company together. The Bank has some great inspirational leaders looking at how to bring it around from an old school "Relationship in Person" bank to a modern digital enabled experience.

I truly support the vision and hope they thrive and are not picked up in an acquisition.
Pros
culture, commitment to community
Cons
stressful change of leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Umpqua Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight