Umpqua Bank Employee Reviews

Strong Culture Under Attack
Executive (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 28, 2018
Umpqua Bank has a strong brand with a withering culture. There is a great group of individuals who are holding this company together. The Bank has some great inspirational leaders looking at how to bring it around from an old school "Relationship in Person" bank to a modern digital enabled experience.

I truly support the vision and hope they thrive and are not picked up in an acquisition.
Pros
culture, commitment to community
Cons
stressful change of leadership
Typically understaffed with stressful goals pushed out
Treasury Management Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 23, 2018
Work demand highly outweighs staff abilities without causing high stressful environments and creates a sense of need to work additional hours or cut breaks short for free as management doesn't understand the staff can't complete all duties assigned in a standard work day.
Poor Management
Deposit Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 22, 2018
Management was out of the loop on day to day operations. Management not know how to solve problems when they came up. Unsupportive Manager with terrible time management skills.
summary
LOAN ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORAugust 22, 2018
Very cut throat and everyone is trying to beat the other person to a management position. The management in the Roseburg area is terrible and leadership is less than desirable.
Company Review
Loan Closing Associate for Multifamily Division (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 20, 2018
This company is an up and growing bank with some great management team in the multi family division however the company has communication issue between departments.
Pros
They have momo which is a teams motivations moment every morning
Cons
Lack of communication within departments and many system issues
Day at umpqua
Universal associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, OR 97239August 16, 2018
It is really nice, the culture is nice, i feel like the pay can be a bit better, overrall pretty good company i do enojy working here, it is si much better than the bigger banks
Mixed emotions
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 15, 2018
Many cultural items are discussed for treating all with kindness and thoughtfulness. However, there is a major disconnect with this mode of company interaction from the senior level management to front line employees.
Love working here
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 15, 2018
Umpqua Bank is a great company to work for, the culture here is amazing. We focus on customers and build a relationship with them, we get to know who they are.
loved this company
Proofer (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORAugust 1, 2018
The work was fast but easy. We learned multiple functions in our area and it was great. It was one of those jobs that, even-though the tasks were the same everyday, it was a different job everyday.
Working for Umpqua
Lead Associate (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, ORJuly 26, 2018
I cant rave about this bank enough. I love our culture, and our hand in the communities we serve. I love that Umpqua pays its employees to help out in the community through volunteer work.
Wonderful Bank
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 24, 2018
Umpqua Bank is a wonderful bank to work for, I have worked for other banks and Umpqua really stands out. Takes time to give back to the community, really emphasizes great work ethic. Everyone was always cheerful and happy and extremely helpful!
World's greatest bank?
Universal Associate III (Former Employee) –  Copperopolis, CAJuly 23, 2018
If the first half of my employment there, It was amazing. After the second merger, culture was lost and never found. During my time there, I went thru three mergers. My favorite thing was the culture, I loved my job, once they lost sight of community, customers got frustrated. It was hard on the customers, it's STILL very frustrating going into the bank today.
Pros
close to home
Cons
unrealistic monetary and sales goals
Enjoyed the Culture
Store Manager III (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAJuly 17, 2018
Umpqua Bank is a community bank that despite the economic hardships on the industry is still trying to do what's right for the community and the people that they serve. It's an ethical company and they believe in what they do.
Benefits are great and associate perks
Universal Associate (Former Employee) –  Othello, WAJuly 15, 2018
Excellent culture and bank to work for. Very diverse and great products. Just didn't feel the hourly pay rate was efficient for the amount of work you did or how much more was needed of you.
Pros
Paid vacation, 401k, benefits
Cons
Hourly pay, weekly calls n constant changes
Customer Centric changing to Sales Culture
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 8, 2018
Culture has changed with Umpqua. Existing employees confused with indentity though it is necessary to evolve and become more effecient and profitable.
Pros
Community based
Cons
Job roles conflict
Hardworking helpful team members
Home Lending Team Support (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 15, 2018
The department I am in is full of talent and knowledge. As a company overall they have experienced quite a bit of growth in the past five years and are now streamlining their processes and finding their voice, so it is a great opportunity to help shape the company culture or even your department. They are also conservative and consistent when it comes to banking strategy, so you do not have to worry about a tarnished reputation.
Pros
Encourage volunteer work
Cons
Brand is not streamlined
Overall a decent place to start your career
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 7, 2018
Typical days involve a "motivational moment" which is a required team-building activity every morning. They heavily promote involvement in the community including volunteering, using company property for community events, handing out ice cream, etc. The job was wonderful and all the people there want to do their best, but they are under-staffed in many areas, which causes key associates to be burned out easily.
Pros
paid volunteer time
Cons
poor work/life balance for some
Underwriter
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJune 1, 2018
There is no way to improve your position or career. Umpqua did not offer any training or opportunities to obtain certifications for underwriters. For example, no FHA or VA training.
Fun Place to work
Mortgage Loan Servicing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 30, 2018
Great Perks. Free coffee once a month, fun activity each morning to motivate you, free healthcare for employee, lots of paid time off, lots of activities. opportunities to advance.
Pros
Free Healthcare, Gym on Site, Mass Transit Reimbursement
Cons
Can be stressful to the point of affecting home life.
High stress, no fun at all
Store Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Roseburg, ORMay 23, 2018
With our recent merger and subsequent shakedown of management, the bank is not the same. All the perks that made things bearable are gone, and the Umpqua Bank culture with it.

They would rather rate us annually on our 'feelings' than on the actual work we do.
Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Umpqua Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight