Unc-chapel Hill Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
ok
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 12, 2018
mostly repetitive task with little supervisor. A lot of independent work. Not hard work easy to learn and accomplish deadlines on time. Little room for growth
Great Employer, excellent benefits!
Employment Specialist- TEACCH (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 7, 2018
I worked with TEACCH at UNC Chapel Hill and I loved it! They provide great medical and dental benefits as well as pto and sick pay. Everyone is very friendly and understanding, I would highly recommend working for UNC!
Top notch institution
Director (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 20, 2017
From faculty to staff, it is an innovative and entrepreneurial environment. Good work-life balance. Highly devoted employees. A keen sense of place in terms of past, present and future.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 5, 2017
I worked there for 6 months and I just could take the racist comments from crew leader towards the Burmese/Karen workers to the zone director blatant racism. The zone manager also lazy and rude could not stand it anymore, for it being UNC awful work environment.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
good place to do research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 19, 2017
Lots of friendly, hard working people excited about doing research. The Computer Science department is nicely focused on helping graduate students do research.
Great work place!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCAugust 3, 2017
I truly enjoyed this environment. My work environment was great and I was able to learn how to use different survey tools as well as excel. The management was great and definitely facilitated an environment to learn!
Corrupt environment that doesn't police bad behavior
Physician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 21, 2017
Departmental leaders in certain clinical pediatric divisions engage in self-serving and protective behavior that compromises patient safety and departmental cohesion. Nepotism is rampant as are cover ups of poor outcomes and unethical behavior. Furthermore, whistle blowers - even those putting patient outcomes and safety first - are aggressively discouraged and punished.

In short, while the vast number of clinical employees are compassionate, competent and ethical, incompetent leadership is quick to turn a blind eye to bad behavior - even enabling and engaging poor practice.
n/a
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 13, 2017
the work place was a good environment to be around and my former employees were respectful. I never had a problem with management nor with any employees.
looks good to me
Electrical Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 6, 2017
Working at UNC is a great opportunity to build skills,the environment is invigorating,friendly and progressive.The workday is challenging and rewarding,providing contact with both students and staff that keep you stimulated and actively engaged.I have been a temp there for three years and need to find solid employment. Tx Pete.
Pros
no such thing as a free lunch
Cons
none at all
Great place tor work.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 24, 2017
A typical day included answering the telephone, backing up the human resources coordinator, writing SOP's, writing a bi-weekly newsletter. I learned how to be an administrative assistant. Management was very supportive and created a workplace culture of learning.
Pros
I was contantly learning new things.
Cons
There was no place for growth.
Ever changing and challenging
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 21, 2017
Schedule jobs and watching the queues in order to make sure jobs are not running smoothly. I am always open to learning something new. The most challenging is to understand what a customer is asking for. I enjoy helping customers and making them happy.
life at unc
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 29, 2017
I work 3rd Shift at UNC the hardest part would be trying to have a social life after you get off. depending on which zone you are placed in the work load will be different.
have worked for UNC a couple of times and have had bad experiences
Resident Advisor (RA) (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 27, 2017
I don't know what it is about working at UNC, if it's working at a Univsersity or what, but I had a terrible experience. People get promoted on personality rather than knowldge or experience. There was a ton of gossip and backbiting among employees about employees and clients.
Opposite of a top-rated school
Technician (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 9, 2017
Despite being a top university, the buildings are in squalor (lead paint, mold, asbestos, exposed fiberglass) and are not ADA compliant. After working as temporary employee for several months, I took a 20% pay cut (well below market) to switch from temporary to permanent. Meanwhile, management enjoys excellent pay. Parking is paid by the employee!
Pros
Decent vacation and sick time policy
Cons
Poor working conditions (unhealthy and low pay)
Love working with this research team
Research Assistant/Pilot Study Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCFebruary 12, 2017
This was a research pilot study utilizing a modified version of the Weight Wise program, tailored to pregnant women. Our target audience was low-income women in Onslow County, NC. We gained wonderful insights to the challenges faced for this population in regards to finances, time, and support to establish and maintain a healthy pregnancy and post-partum lifestyle.
great place
Behavioral Neuroscience Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 20, 2017
I have no complaints about UNC Chapel Hill. I was a graduate student and did not experience a usual employee work day, since the job is not a 9 to 5 type job.
Good Internship
Around Campus Group Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INDecember 20, 2016
Was a pretty solid summer internship for an incoming senior. Getting to experience legendary UNC was a definite plus while I trained in a pretty great environment full of managers willing to help and colleagues all striving to be good at the job. The culture instilled in us during training was very strong and I thoroughly enjoyed everyone around me.

Being placed in little Valparaiso,Indiana may not have been the best outcome for me as it is a very small town and many of the businesses there have smaller revenues, thus smaller budgets for advertising. That being said, I think I did the best I could with what I had and would probably reccommend the internship for anyone representing around campus in a big city.
Pros
weekly pay, great training experience, great people
Cons
small commission, short experience
Laid Back
Student Wellness Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 20, 2016
This job was very laid back. It is a work study job at the university and provides me a lot of interaction with different students.
Excellent Staff!
UNC Campus Recreation Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 27, 2016
The people at UNC Campus Rec are energetic and positive. They are happy people and love what they do which carries over to the student employees and patrons.
Great People, Great Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 25, 2016
People are very nice, great academic environment. Students have access to great resources.

Professor gives you guide, classmates help you, people are really nice and helpful.