UNC Health Care Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Company
NICU RN (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 13, 2018
Great company to work for. Takes care of its nurses. Flexible scheduling. Great shift differential. Great company culture. Pension Great retirement plans.
benefits
Cons
only 12 hour shifts
I am currently a floater
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27514July 13, 2018
Lucky for me, as a floater I have been able to get assignments that were flexible with my schedule since I do have another job and the supervisors have all been supportive. The only con is that if you can't fully commit to full days, it may affect how soon or how many assignments you get. The position is per diem if you don't work, you don't get paid (that includes holidays). I believe at this time you have to wait at least a year in the position before you can apply for anything full time with the hospital.
Pros
Flexibility, Variety, Good Pay
Cons
No paid time off for holidays, no benefits
productive workplace environment
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 12, 2018
A typical workday would be to clock in and answer a multi line phone system while using the epic system to check in and check out patients, fax and scan documents, and file appropriately,.
Pros
parking
Cons
some of the nurse staff looks down on the admin staff
not so Much
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 9, 2018
Drawing blood is very exciting and I love it,love it love it. Working at UNC was great. I learn alot abot the difference types of blood draws and cultures.
Great working hours
Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 9, 2018
Working at UNC was great, Management could be better as far as holding everyone accountable for his/her job duties.The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I helped someone whom was sick to get better.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Can be stressful at times when management plays a part in making situations stressful.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 5, 2018
Worked at University of North Carolina Health Care as a nurse for several years as a nurse. Ok place to work at a major medical center well known in the area.
Unch
Dietetic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 2, 2018
Very poor management, the work and environment would be better if it wasn't for the poor management. but other than that the benefits are good even though the salary is low. Does get stressful at times to work in the Nutrition services department but its worth it as the patients are satisfied.
Great benefits, poor management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 28, 2018
UNC is a great organization that provides quality care to patients. The higher management does value the staff but management in the 2 departments that I've been in have proven to me that if you don't brown nose you will only get bullied. If you don't find your niche you'll only report to work unhappy and miserable which will result in burn out!
Pros
Benefits, great PTO
Cons
Park and ride, pay to park, toxic work environment, favoritism
Race is and isn't an issue
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 27, 2018
Race is and isn't an issue at UNC. There are some that get away with just about everything and nobody has the backbone to enforce stated policies...Then you have the other end of the spectrum - someone's doing everything right, but won't get promoted because of it. Hopefully you don't end up having either experience. I will say that it felt like being with family at times where teamwork thrived. That is definitely a major plus and management supports you in doing your job.
Pros
Teamwork, family atmosphere
Cons
"favoritism" "race"
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 25, 2018
I ennoy working here. Every department is different and their rule vary from department. The dress code is the same way. Great place for advancement. Good luck
good organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCJune 19, 2018
The company is exceptional. the pay id good. Great employees. if you know the right people they can help you move up. other than that you're stuck in that position.
Pros
Great benefits, pay, discounts and vacation pay
Cons
The occurrence system is unacceptable. not willing to give entry level applicants a chance.
Large faciltiy nice place to work for.
Nutrition Assistant/ Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 17, 2018
Enjoy going around meeting the patients entering there diets in the computer and explaining about the new system at the hospital fun place to work. Well manage work place.
Excellent career move
Patient Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 14, 2018
The benefits are awesome, you can’t beat the pto. If I had better relationships with the management I could have worked there for ever. Most of the physicians very friendly.
Benefits
Cons
Management communication
What YOU make it
Call Center Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 8, 2018
Some people do not like working at UNC however it depends. I worked in food service and of course like anywhere there was drama etc., but I stayed out of it. It pays wells for what I did in a hospital setting. Benefits are GREAT!!! and in my dept. PTO... You can use your pto hours as long as you have them OR you can sell them, your choice. Working here was not bad, but I moved and the commute was blah. I will say it was a high turnover rate in my department as well. The level of respect. from my managers, was decreasing my last few months there. That may be another reason I left. All in all... it is what you make it. The "higher ups" are amazing people. They really care about the people that work there and their concerns. One of them bought me food. I wasn't hungry but he did not want to see me go without eating... REALLY?!? and I love food lol.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Pto
Cons
short lunch break, pay to park, SOME staff members
Unc
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 6, 2018
UNC Hospital can do it all.
When it comes to your healthcare needs UNC has the qualified professionals on every level to provide top notch healthcare in its ever growing industry.
The people are friendly and patients seem to enjoy their customer experience.
A Great Place to Find Yourself
CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 1, 2018
In my work as a CNA 1, I have been credited with an unbeatable bedside manner. It's as simple as letting your true self out for the duration of a 12 hour shift and being able to exercise compassion for another human being in a meaningful way that will positively impact another person's life. That, to me, is satisfying employment. Further, UNC Hospital's culture is full of opportunities to expand one's knowledge base and further one's career goals. The medical industry is fascinating, and being a human face to mediate the terrifying experience of hospitalization is truly humbling. The management is supportive and attentive, and very honest. The workplace hustle can be intimidating at first, but finding where one belongs in the daily grind of patient care tasks is all a part of the experience!
Pros
Very little labor, a lot of time to sit and study, interesting work, good conversation, changing atmosphere
Cons
Competitive, Communication problems, few breaks
UNC is a wonderful place to work
Interventional Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 28, 2018
I enjoyed my job at UNC-Healthcare and think the opportunities to learn daily are always present. The staff is wonderful and management listens. It is an awesome hospital.
Tarheel Proud
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 25, 2018
It is always a Great Day To Be A Tar Heel! Situated on the historic campus of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, this hospital is a proven leader in excellence all the way from the classrooms at the med school to the ICUs and Operating theaters in the hospital.
Pros
state benefits
Cons
have to pay the university for parking
Worked from home
Director (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 23, 2018
Worked from home. Allowed to make decisions on my own. Very seasonal work. Busy times and slow times during the year. Lots of travel. Met lots of wonderful people.
enjoyed my time at work
Discharge Planner (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCMay 20, 2018
staff were very easy to get along with & care about what they do. would probably go back if there was a position ideal for my schedule. always enjoy going back to see those whom I used to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNC Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight