UNC Health Care Employee Reviews

Overall I love working here
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 16, 2019
I love working here. I love the benefits and the work life balance is awesome. My management team is exceptional. The culture is a little different than what I am used to but I can deal.
Great Atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27514February 13, 2019
The culture at UNC is amazing. Everyone loves their job and speaks highly of their position. Separate units work well together and different disciplines work hard to give the best care to the patient.
Good first job
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  NCFebruary 6, 2019
Good introductory job for career in healthcare field. Fast-paced environment with opportunity to learn as much as you wanted to. Very limited opportunity for growth.
my volunteering experience was not good
PACU-Post-Op Assistant - Internship (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 3, 2019
volunteering there as a college student was not a good idea. I gained zero related experience to my field of education. My recruiter told me that this would give me good experience if i wanted to become a PA later on but all i did was fold bedsheets, clean beds, tables, and take patients out the hospital.
It's a job
Claims Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 31, 2019
UNC Healthcare (UNC Physician Network) is an ever evolving work environment. I have found it very difficult to advance due to the culture in the particular department where I currently work. I have found that in order to advance within certain departments that it is not what you know but who you know that gets you into better career or professional career opportunities. I have heard on many occasions that it does happen and it comes with most places of employment. But does that make it right? I do love my current team and my supervisor however I feel because I have witnessed as well as experienced the "culture" personally with applying for growth opportunity positions that I believe that upper management does not operate with fairness when it comes to hiring/promoting qualified candidates. Also, they have taken away most of the flexibility that made the job an ideal position for individuals with families over the last couple of months. With that, I've found that I cannot accumulate as much paid time off as I was once able to due to having to use time for appointments and family obligations whereas previously you could work a flexible schedule to accommodate for appointments, whether doctor/dentist, school, etc.
Loved working in the operating room. As a teaching institution you are able to see and learn things you will not in other settings
Staff RN n the OR (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 25, 2019
The OR at UNC is fast paced and interesting. Alsys learning new things. Have the opportunity to learn procedures not done anywhere else. Work with well trained professionals.
Pros
great staff
Cons
parking
Great Place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 22, 2019
One of the best places I've worked. They care about their patients and will go above and beyond to help them. The CICU has a remarkable team! Pay is not the best though.
Pros
everything
Cons
pay
great organization
Health Unit Coordinator (HUC) (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 21, 2019
a diverse organization great workplace many advancement opportunities within the nursing field. a great teaching environment. most enjoyable part of job is the patients.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
12 hour shifts/
Not recommended for RNs
RN (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 21, 2019
You are a number with a license - that is all. Your skills don't matter. Your personal life doesn't matter. All that matters is maintaining an appearance of value with the patient.
Good work place
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 17, 2019
Good opportunity to advance. Fun work place. Good work environment. Good benefits and competitive wages. 4 cafes to choose from for lunch. Friendly folks to work around.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Too much construction

Want to know more about UNC Health Care?

Ask a question
Good organization for APP’s
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 15, 2019
Overall UNC is a great place to work. Somehow it seems to attract genuinely nice people. Full time clinical practice as an NP can be very busy day to day, but they do offer competitive compensation. I do struggle with work life balance as a full time clinician.
My time at UNC was...
Imaging Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27517January 14, 2019
Rewarding. I was fortunate to have been employed with this organization and to see myself grow professional. I would say that this organization truly allowed me to flourish all while continuing to challenge me every day.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
As healthcare changed, we were required to do more with less.
Going down hill fast
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 5, 2019
Management is so bad what they just sit in their offices all day and ignore the issue people in this department have been fleeing for the last year ( over 15 employees ) have left due to work conditions most days people work full shift with no breaks and are not able to actually sit anywhere but break room. Hours are crazy and rough and staff are fighting with each other’s constantly because they are highly over worked I’m saying 400 patients to draw with only 5 staff members on duty. When I started it was a very happy place but due to years of neglate and very very poor management it is now a mean rough mean place to work. I had to leave because i could not handle the abuse. Only benifit was retirement and health care benifits In this department that’s is it!
Helping patient
Oncology Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 3, 2019
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help
to help a cancer patient.

Being a good listener

Letting patient know they are not alone

Prioritize patient care
Awesome
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 2, 2019
I really enjoyed working at this position. There was opportunities for advancement and there were also opportunities for education. Distance was the only issue for me for I lived in Durham and had to commute to Chapel Hill daily. I did not have a vehicle at that time.
Nice place to work
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJanuary 2, 2019
Great place to work with a wonderful team. Would have loved to stay but the pay wasn't all that great. Benefits were top notch. Just needed more money to compensate the gas for travel.
N/a
Critical Care Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 18, 2018
I found Management there to be lack luster at best, they seem to promote incompetence and they drove the good employees away especially if they saw you as a threat. if they did not like you for any reason at all the messed with your schedule and they fought change tooth and nail if they thought it would make someone else look good.
Pros
great medical director
Cons
management
Productive and fun place to work. Employees and Employers were like family!
Radiologist Practitioner Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCDecember 17, 2018
I loved where I worked, I loved the people. But, after 15 yrs of working there in the role I was in, I never got a raise. I was looking to advance in my career or I would have never ever left there. Great place to work overall.
Pros
Set hours, no weekends, holiday work, or call.
Cons
Wanted to do more things, wanted a chance of advancement
horrible leadership
Phlebotomist II (Former Employee) –  highpoint ncDecember 16, 2018
leaders and management were poorly informed, trained, and lacked motivation. pay and compensation were on average about 20% below other local hospitals.
Employees are not treated fairly. Raises amount to about 25 cents and do not cover cost of living.
Support Services (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 15, 2018
Doctors and nurses get better treatment, raises, and premium pay percentages. Service workers are regarded as expendable and not treated fairly. Management is poot and unsupportive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNC Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight