UNC Health Care Employee Reviews

Excellent career move
Patient Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 14, 2018
The benefits are awesome, you can’t beat the pto. If I had better relationships with the management I could have worked there for ever. Most of the physicians very friendly.
Benefits
Cons
Management communication
What YOU make it
Call Center Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 8, 2018
Some people do not like working at UNC however it depends. I worked in food service and of course like anywhere there was drama etc., but I stayed out of it. It pays wells for what I did in a hospital setting. Benefits are GREAT!!! and in my dept. PTO... You can use your pto hours as long as you have them OR you can sell them, your choice. Working here was not bad, but I moved and the commute was blah. I will say it was a high turnover rate in my department as well. The level of respect. from my managers, was decreasing my last few months there. That may be another reason I left. All in all... it is what you make it. The "higher ups" are amazing people. They really care about the people that work there and their concerns. One of them bought me food. I wasn't hungry but he did not want to see me go without eating... REALLY?!? and I love food lol.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Pto
Cons
short lunch break, pay to park, SOME staff members
Unc
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 6, 2018
UNC Hospital can do it all.
When it comes to your healthcare needs UNC has the qualified professionals on every level to provide top notch healthcare in its ever growing industry.
The people are friendly and patients seem to enjoy their customer experience.
A Great Place to Find Yourself
CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 1, 2018
In my work as a CNA 1, I have been credited with an unbeatable bedside manner. It's as simple as letting your true self out for the duration of a 12 hour shift and being able to exercise compassion for another human being in a meaningful way that will positively impact another person's life. That, to me, is satisfying employment. Further, UNC Hospital's culture is full of opportunities to expand one's knowledge base and further one's career goals. The medical industry is fascinating, and being a human face to mediate the terrifying experience of hospitalization is truly humbling. The management is supportive and attentive, and very honest. The workplace hustle can be intimidating at first, but finding where one belongs in the daily grind of patient care tasks is all a part of the experience!
Pros
Very little labor, a lot of time to sit and study, interesting work, good conversation, changing atmosphere
Cons
Competitive, Communication problems, few breaks
UNC is a wonderful place to work
Interventional Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 28, 2018
I enjoyed my job at UNC-Healthcare and think the opportunities to learn daily are always present. The staff is wonderful and management listens. It is an awesome hospital.
Tarheel Proud
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 25, 2018
It is always a Great Day To Be A Tar Heel! Situated on the historic campus of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, this hospital is a proven leader in excellence all the way from the classrooms at the med school to the ICUs and Operating theaters in the hospital.
Pros
state benefits
Cons
have to pay the university for parking
Worked from home
Director (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 23, 2018
Worked from home. Allowed to make decisions on my own. Very seasonal work. Busy times and slow times during the year. Lots of travel. Met lots of wonderful people.
enjoyed my time at work
Discharge Planner (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCMay 20, 2018
staff were very easy to get along with & care about what they do. would probably go back if there was a position ideal for my schedule. always enjoy going back to see those whom I used to work with.
Depends on if you are content
Part time-Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCMay 12, 2018
I have learned that these companies work best if you fit into the culture of not wanting anymore then they are willing to give you. Unless you are salaried and you dont mind being controlled, this is a great fit for you.
Pros
wages
Cons
poor management/ hr is not neutral. they are for the employer
An Average place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCMay 10, 2018
Not a bad company to work for. Had usual problems that all hospitals seem to have. Problems with retaining employees, heavy staff loads. Staff shortages. Overall did not bother employees.
awesome
Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 8, 2018
this is a great place to work, if and when you find your ninche, and get in where you fit in-- overall this company could provide more support for its employees, like day care etc.
Great company fun place to work
Medical Assistance Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 6, 2018
Screen and evaluate patients for existing insurance coverage, federal and state assistance programs, or hospital charity application.
Obtain legally relevant medical evidence, physician statements and all other documentation required for eligibility determination.
Complete and file applications.
Initiate and maintain proper follow-up with the patient and government agency caseworkers to ensure timely processing and completion of all mandated applications and accompanying documentation.
Participates in ongoing, comprehensive training programs as required.
I love my job, but my workplace leaves much to be desired
Pharmacy Technician, Informaticist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 6, 2018
UNC Healthcare has a culture of acceptance, tolerance and diversity. The general work environment is quite good. The benefits are average considering it's a red state and very much against universal healthcare.
The biggest problem is the pharmacy department itself. Technicians are not highly regarded. For the average technician in the Inpatient pharmacy duties are dumbed down to the point of discouraging independent thought. There is only one technician classification and job description. Any technicians who advance their skills and education and achieve specialties fall under the same job description and classification as a regular delivery technician. The only marker for raises is years of service. So the salaries for specialties like chemo, IV, investigational, informatics and such are not only the lowest in the immediate area but, in some cases, the lowest in the nation.
It's a direct result of pharmacy management. The issue has been talked about and considered for years but is constantly pushed aside. There simply isn't the regard and respect given to technicians as given to other positions in the pharmacy.
It also means the turn-over rate for technicians is extremely high.
It's especially frustrating since I consider UNC's pharmacy to be extremely modern and forward thinking in its core objectives. There aren't many places where the healthcare training and experience of pharmacy technicians is better. The rewards, however, are, in my opinion and experience, abysmal.
Pros
Decent benefits, good life/work balance, excellent training, modern techniques
Cons
poor compensation
Fun place to work
Medical Office Assitant/Referral Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 3, 2018
Checked in-out patients. Received and transferred phone calls.
Increased knowledge of the computer.
Management was easy to work with.
Nice work environment.
The 12 hour shifts were a little tiring.
The work environment was enjoyable.
Was a good place to work with a team of helpful co-workers
Front Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 2, 2018
A Typical day was very well. My co-workers were very helpful and assisted when needed. I didn't get a lot of interaction with my manager only when something came up that needed to be address.
The hours was not good for my lifestyle and I decided to leave
Pros
Good PTO time
Cons
Work hours
clerk
Claims Processor/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 26, 2018
sorted mail and keyed in claims...i attended in a volunteer role at UNC . aided claim deciphering role as well . i learned the computer system to a degree.
Pros
the work wasnt difficult
Cons
lot of manual labor
My Review
Internship (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 25, 2018
My day at work there were typically very nice and the people I worked with were very nice. As long as the work was done correctly in a timely manner the business was very nice to work for.
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 24, 2018
I was an intern so my experience does not reflect the company as a whole. I found that they took interns with no plans as to what to have them do as well as no intentions of keeping them.
Love the patients
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kenly, NCApril 22, 2018
I enjoy helping the patients. Every morning I pray to be a light to somebody that day and God always brings somebody that shares something with me. I like to think I make a difference at the clinic.
Administrative Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 21, 2018
A typical day would be challenging and always changing. There was never a dull moment as this is a fast-paced, energy driven workplace. The most enjoyable part of the position was the fact that it was never the same thing day after day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNC Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight