UNC Health Care Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to be a nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 4, 2018
This is a great organization to work for that offers benefits exceeding similar employers in the area. A solid work culture and active human resources department add to the appeal.
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 2, 2018
Great place to work if you want opportunities to learn and use your brain. Had autonomy working in the ICU that was not available at the other hospitals I worked at. Good relationship with unit management.. I had many different ways of furthering my education that the hospital contributed reimbursement..
Pros
University Hospital with many learning possibilties
Cons
congested traffic
Great place to work and move up in the company5
Patient Transportation (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 31, 2018
U N C Hospital is a great work environment with plenty of helpful friendly faces and excellent healthcare and customer service that ensures the patient comes first
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Dealing with sickness
A typical day at work
Nursing Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 31, 2018
Work hard at UNC. We are always short of staff. Use a lot of float pool and traveling staff. No breaks are give but it appears as if you took a lunch because they clock you out for lunch where you take it or not.
Pros
Cons
no lunch breaks
Patient Financial Service Rep- QA Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 31, 2018
The pay needs to be better but in general a good place to work. There needs to be more opportunities to grow. There is not a lot of room to grow in certain clerical positions.
Refreshing and Empowering.
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 30, 2018
I have been an employee in the UNC Flex team for about a year now, and I must say it has been amazing. I love the control over my schedule that I have. My compensation is wonderful and actually allows me to work less than at previous jobs, with many opportunities to work more if I wish. Everyone from my manager to all of the staff on the various units I float too are always appreciative of my presence as a flex team member and they regularly say thank you for my services. UNC truly seems to care about their nursing staff and provide opportunities for us to pursue more education, conduct small quality improvement and research projects, and have a voice in hospital affairs.
Pros
Great for growth, cultural variety, great resources
Cons
Parking if you work day shift, traffic around the campus.
Great place to work (i think) just be careful what floor
CST (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 28, 2018
The self scheduling is not true! If you not in the click you won't get far. But kissing is not the job for me. Don't get sick you better get the Dr to test you for everything so you have documentation because if not that's held against you.
Cons
Self scheduling, management, short/no breaks
Good working environment
Assistant Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 26, 2018
The work culture at UNC is positive and opportunities for advancement are there for the taking. Staff are friendly and helpful. Management listens to suggestions/ideas.
UNC Health Care
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 26, 2018
There are pros/cons to every job, my most recent job has been plagued by having a direct manager who is woefully inept in her job performance, communication, and understanding of what we do. Overall, UNC is a great place to work; however, there are some real bad apples in upper management who need to go.
UNC Healthcare
Helpdesk Support Specialist, Sr (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 22, 2018
UNC Healthcare is a decent company to work for. Co-workers were average and management seemed a bit bias on who they would consider hiring for position within the organization.
CLINICAL STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 19, 2018
Great place for fieldwork opportunity. face paced, great team, great company, cares about patients and family members. great quality service provided to patients.
review
Nurse Care Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 18, 2018
Unc was a great place to work. I learned team work and flexibility. Helping people is what I like to do. Unc provided me with the tools to take care of patients properly daily.
Pros
good workers
Cons
no benefits
Hospital
REGISTRATION TEAM MEMBER, HIGH POINT REGIONAL (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCJuly 15, 2018
I worked there for 17+ years. Many days were enjoyable, others were not. I have enjoyable interactions with many patients. The hospital has undergone ownership changes twice in the last few years.
I am currently a floater
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27514July 13, 2018
Lucky for me, as a floater I have been able to get assignments that were flexible with my schedule since I do have another job and the supervisors have all been supportive. The only con is that if you can't fully commit to full days, it may affect how soon or how many assignments you get. The position is per diem if you don't work, you don't get paid (that includes holidays). I believe at this time you have to wait at least a year in the position before you can apply for anything full time with the hospital.
Pros
Flexibility, Variety, Good Pay
Cons
No paid time off for holidays, no benefits
productive workplace environment
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 12, 2018
A typical workday would be to clock in and answer a multi line phone system while using the epic system to check in and check out patients, fax and scan documents, and file appropriately,.
Pros
parking
Cons
some of the nurse staff looks down on the admin staff
not so Much
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 9, 2018
Drawing blood is very exciting and I love it,love it love it. Working at UNC was great. I learn alot abot the difference types of blood draws and cultures.
Great working hours
Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 9, 2018
Working at UNC was great, Management could be better as far as holding everyone accountable for his/her job duties.The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I helped someone whom was sick to get better.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Can be stressful at times when management plays a part in making situations stressful.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 5, 2018
Worked at University of North Carolina Health Care as a nurse for several years as a nurse. Ok place to work at a major medical center well known in the area.
Unch
Dietetic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 2, 2018
Very poor management, the work and environment would be better if it wasn't for the poor management. but other than that the benefits are good even though the salary is low. Does get stressful at times to work in the Nutrition services department but its worth it as the patients are satisfied.
Great benefits, poor management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 28, 2018
UNC is a great organization that provides quality care to patients. The higher management does value the staff but management in the 2 departments that I've been in have proven to me that if you don't brown nose you will only get bullied. If you don't find your niche you'll only report to work unhappy and miserable which will result in burn out!
Pros
Benefits, great PTO
Cons
Park and ride, pay to park, toxic work environment, favoritism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNC Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight