UNC Health

Found 346 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,263 reviews

UNC Health insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

State job

Job security is decent - however this means bad managers are also entrenched and stay forever. Not a humane culture towards working class staff. Good benefits if you can stick with it. Terrible parking. Nickel and dime employees for petty stuff - not generous.

Pros

State job

Cons

Bad management

Great environment for anyone in security/healthcare field

I was employed as a protective services officer! My Leadership (Dir. Main,Manager W.Thomas and Day Shift supervisor D.Palmer) was amazingly supportive and very knowledgeable of their role and how to make officers feel supported. Role wasn’t difficult, responsibilities were clear and precise! Great benefits and work life balance. Reason I left is to pursue a higher purpose! But would absolutely go back if North Carolina ever circle back around in the cards.

Pros

Healthcare, supportive leadership, yearly schedule.

Cons

I can’t think of any

Great Place to Work

I have worked for UNC for three years have really enjoyed working for them as a healthcare system. I feel that the work I do is impactful and know that gets me through some of the more frustrating times. Throughout my time here, I have had great management who have always been understanding and encouraging, even going as far as helping me find a new position when my manager knew I wasn't happy with the work I was previously doing. I also feel UNC handled the COVID pandemic very well, which made me feel like a valued employee.

Pros

Benefits, management

Cons

Riding the bus from the parking lot to and from the hospital

Appreciate the support of my direct managers

I feel very supported by my direct managers. They are always there to listen and make sure that if we bring things to them they are addressed. Overall, I do feel the compensation could be improved.

great place to work

Great place to work. You have opportunities to move up in the various departments and find jobs to help with work/life balance. The hardest part of the job is dealing with not so nice patients. Great benefits.

Pros

great benefits

Cons

short breaks, unruly visitors

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great Place of Work

Great benefits, highest pay for my job title. Self scheduling. Overall a great place to work. Every company has pros and cons. But the pros out weigh the cons.

It’s ok but too much drama, manager has no idea what she’s doing and our squad did not get a long at all. Too much gossip at UNC. But overall as a company they have great benefits

Good place for new grads

Academic teaching hospital. Great place for new grads. MICU was supportive. Bedside isn’t for everyone. Burnt out from COVID Icu nursing. Good benefits.

Pros

Good learning opportunities

Cons

Haven’t used PTO the whole year

Ok place to work.

Hours are good, plenty of work and overtime if you are so inclined. Management is lacking, like most places, it depends on who you are. Co workers are snitches meaning they tell every little thing that happens, significant or not.

Pros

Pay, Hours

Cons

Employees have to pay for parking based on your salary level.

UNC Health is a great place to work. I guess it depends on what team you are on but I enjoy my team. My manager and team is supportive and the work is fulfilling. I would recommend working at UNC Health

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Pay could be a little better

Jobs at UNC Health

See more jobs

Fair place to start as new grad

Loved my coworkers, patients and unit manager. Unfortunately, overall system more focused on saving money than nurse satisfaction and patient safety (unsafe floating practices, short staffed, etc). Mutiple times concerns voiced by nurses without any intervention. Definitely worse since pandemic because before rlly loved job.

Pros

coworkers, patients, benefits

Cons

feeling undervalued/understaffed, management

Good

Good place to develop skills for new nurses.Great 401k plan with company match.Improved since electronic charting and MAR/TARwere put in place.Would recommend

Great place to learn and start nursing career

Great place to start and learn if you're a new nurse. Busy hospital with a lot of sick people. The unit I worked in was supportive and interested in how I was adapting to this new environment. For the most part, my peers and unit providers were respectful, willing to help, and available when I needed them. Of course, there were a few that weren't this way, but the support I got other placed outweighed that. Great night/weekend differentials. Not sure about benefits other than 401K because I already had insurance.I wish my unit had more support staff, parking stinks if you work dayshift, and the way this facility handled COVID was kind of a slap in the face. While I did not work in the MICU, but I felt for these nurses because I knew several of them. With that, a LOT of our patients were coming to this hospital from others with unknown COVID status. I also was not a huge fan of the area. I lived in Chapel Hill and had to drive 30-40mins to Raleigh to do anything fun/interesting. Also, a lot of the equipment is old/dated (ex. IV pumps, wall suction doesn't always work). Feel indifferent about management because I worked mostly weekend nights and never really saw them except in passing.

Pros

Good pay/differentials as a new grad, lots to learn, great unit culture

Cons

Parking, COVID protocols, location of main campus

Not too bad

Not a bad place to work at. Staff overall are really nice to work with. Its a small place which is nice. Dont feel so overwhelmed when you start working.

Benefits

Cons

Short staffed, overtime

Flexibility

I started with this company 6 years ago and have found there is no room to advance. You basically have to know "the higher ups" in order to advance. There were several occasions I tried to move up and was shot down. My ideas are constantly overlooked. Nothing is ever set in stone and they are constantly changing things without communicating with employees. Some employees get to do whatever they want to do without facing consequences. The benefits suck. I had to take out a Care Credit card just to cover some of my daughter's medical expenses. Dental only pays up to 1,000 max for dental work. They don't like to cover life changing medications and if they do, they are so expensive you cannot afford them. Also, the PTO they promise you--you basically have to pay yourself for the major holidays. With 13 major holidays every year-that eats up your PTO and not to mention having to take off for doctor appointments either. So you basically don't get any PTO. Favoritism is a big part of UNC. Your either one of them or not one of them. Lastly, pay sucks. I know people that work in a factory making more than me and I have a 2 year degree. All these combined, it is a toxic environment-but that is just my opinion.

Pros

Easy commute to work, Flexibility for time off

Cons

Benefits aren't what they seem, Favoritism is the work place, no room for advancement, pay sucks

great place

worked there for over 15 years. moving around helps to stay there. Great benefits and sometimes you can get flexible hours with different departments. Workplace culture could be better

As an entity great place to work

As an entity UNC Health is a great place to work. Some departments do show favoritism when it comes to promotions and advancement. Pay could be better

Pros

Great benefits as a state employee

Cons

No room for advancement, favoritism, pay

It's just alright

The pay is a little low and many people are overworked both lowest level paying jobs and mid-tier jobs. I wish there was better compensation and a better work life balance.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Compensation for time, working weird hours

Positive environment

Nothing bad to say about this job. Stupendous benefits, plentiful time off. Excellent work environment. Amazing leadership. Positive cash flow and bonuses.

Exemplifies a top of the line teaching healthcare system, excellence and equity describes UNC for patients and employees.

UNC listens to their employees, provides opportunities for advancement , has an excellent working culture, encourages work-life balance, excellent benefits and my higher ups and co- workers are encouraged to have important conversations that keep this spectacular company forward facing. They kept ALL ( no one laid off!!) employees employed during the pandemic by reassigning employees to other areas, and provides top of the line healthcare to all! My 13 years with them flew by!

Pros

Excellent benefit, excellent work-life balance, excellent leadership

Cons

Hospital Parking can be a bit pricey

Employee relations was good. Great job security.

I enjoyed working at UNC. The benefits were great. The work hours were good. Loved working with the patients. Racial relations with management was a little disturbing. Manager was not a good manager and made unit uncomfortable many times. Over all UNC is an excellent place to work.

Pros

Great benefits and great people

Cons

Manager not fair to workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNC Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight
  • UNC Health
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?