Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace Employee Reviews

Cashier is entry level
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMay 14, 2019
Worked there for two years as a PT cashier. If you're young and want an afterschool job, this is perfect, but the cashiers all have drama with eachother because they all go to school together. If you're mature and can float above it or you're an adult looking for FT work, it's a great place to work. Most employees and management are very friendly. Music gets annoying.
Pros
50% off lunch, flexible hours
Cons
Rude customers
Horrible
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYApril 10, 2019
The management was horrible. Very pervy and inappropriate. They did barely any work, and always put up a fake front whenever the owners would come by. And they would come by a lot. The morning shift team were a bunch of bitter women who thought they were better than you only because they were older. Favoritism and ageism is a huge issue there. My coworkers who were around my age are the best people I've ever met. But there is a lot of drama there, more than my high school. Every shift was stressful, and there was no movement for a more comfortable schedule. Glad to have left.
Pros
Half off lunchs
Cons
Everything else
Stressful, unorganized
Front End/Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ramsey, NJApril 4, 2019
Fast paced day, unorganized, always understaffed. Schedules never on time, not consistent with what promised. Not paid a liveable wage either. had to have second job
A great place to work
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 23, 2019
I love my co-workers and managers! We are a family here.
This is the best grocery store on long island. I have worked at a few. Its is very fast paced and hard work but that makes the day go by fast and is very rewarding.
My managers really listen and i feel like i am part of a team.
the company provides a manager in training program now and i hope to get into this next year.
Pros
great discounts!
Worst job of my life.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMarch 10, 2019
I worked there along time ago about a year ago and it was the worst management of my life. I needed off for somthing a month in advanced and they said no because they already " made the schedual" well guess what ITS YOUR JOB TO FIX IT!!! I know you need a job badly if your on this site. But please aviod this place. Unless your 20+ and can se your soul to uncle G then dont.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Everything else
Hard work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  East Meadow, NYFebruary 22, 2019
Uncle Giuseppe's in my opinion was one of the hardest places I have ever worked at and they over work you and pay you little to nothing. Favoritism is a big problem at the workplace and it makes it less enjoyable to work there. The only thing I really do enjoy about this place is it is like a big family and you get to know pretty much everyone so its easy to get along with people.
Pros
discount on groceries
Cons
short breaks, some management issues
It's a thankless job
scanning coordinator (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NY 11787February 11, 2019
It's a thankless job and it's a mess. Things were stolen from my office, frequently. There was minimal, ineffective, and disrespectful communication involving most management and people in higher up positions.
Pros
it's a cool store
Cons
everything else
Oy
Scanning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYFebruary 6, 2019
If you like being disrespected and having 0 communication with management, then this is the job for you.

The store is awesome, the job is awful. I literally had panic attacks at work.
Pros
insurance, good food, live entertainment, gift cards at Christmas
Cons
disrespectful employees and people in authority, no communication, improper training, unhealthy work environment
Main office personnel need to be taught manners
Scan Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYFebruary 1, 2019
I love working with everyone in the store all the way up to the store mrg. I had a blow out with main office personnel over signs. He play the blame game with me saying I was not doing my job. I was only half train and follow what the person who train me. He say I fail and gave me attitude about it say it was my fault. He was jerk. they tell you one thing than change it 2 seconds laters. Unless you want to get yelled then by guy who only show up on weekends and think he can talk down to you like your a dog or child. Avoid at all cost. Find somewhere better to work.
Pros
50% lunch
Cons
No 15 min break, some people in main office are jerks
Review
Candy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Massapequa, NYJanuary 21, 2019
Relaxed environment when it is not the holiday season. Management is great and understanding, the only con is that they cut your hours when the store is slow.
Pros
50% of lunch
Cons
short breaks
Port Jeff Bakery Job- Terrible
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYOctober 18, 2018
The first day I walk in and there was no structured training. I got zero training and had to teach myself everything. Half the employees didn't speak English and if they could speak English they usually didn't and spent a lot of their time talking about the people who weren't in their "group". I wanted to be friendly with them but they always had the guards up and felt threatened by anyone that didn't speak their language. We weren't allowed to throw out garbage in "their" cans etc. Very terrible work environment. Also, whipped cream products are NOT supposed to sit out all day, but on weedends they let whipped cream lopster tails etc sit all day from Friday-Sunday. I expressed my concerns and they said "not my problem". Disgusting!!!
Pros
Time off, flexible
Cons
Other employees, hours, no training, uniforms
Family-owned Italian Marketplace
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYOctober 4, 2018
One of the qualities I enjoyed most about Uncle Giuseppe's was their drive to provide excellent customer service. I can honestly say I've learned the most about the in's and out's of customer service from working there than any other job. I've even had positive, sophisticate conversations with the cooperate members that visit there on a weekly basis.
The direct management were also very friendly and professional. Being able to work with them on a daily basis was a learning experience. I also took great pride in my work, especially when the owners visited on occasion. It gave me the chance to display what I was capable of in terms of customer service, sales, organization and personal motivation.
I would definitely recommend this company to just about anyone.
Pros
50% off selected lunch and drink items. Professional attire
Hard
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  East Meadow, NYAugust 15, 2018
I was tought how to do every thing. I made sure I did my best with the tasks I was given. The place was unsanitary. management was offering good benefits.
Cons
unsanitary
Stressful and quick paced work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ramsey, NJAugust 5, 2018
My experience working here was very stressful especially on the weekends, over crowded and the loud Frank Sinatra entertainer made it impossible to work. This place is usually very over crowded all the time, so your lunch would be pushed back and rushed. You get no 15 min break. On holidays they have a strict black out rule for the whole week, So no calling out or requesting off. And you also don’t get paid more if you do work holidays.
Pros
50% off lunch
Cons
No 15 min break, overworked, overcrowded, stressful
Unhealthy work experience
Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYJuly 18, 2018
Basically, you work your life away for minimal pay, no raises but unlimited overtime (only if you're a manager).

During the holidays don't expect to go home working 48hrs+ straight. While store managers give you no help whatsoever.

Even during the summer don't expect to get time off to see your family.

Corporate are rude, curse at their employees and the owners are modern day mob bosses and their rude friends treat you like dirt off the street.

They promise you the world when you're hired, but save your time.
Poor Management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMay 15, 2018
Very nice in the beginning until you get to know more you start noticing poor management skills, company needs to be better organized on evaluating people.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Bleak and Boring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ramsey, NJMay 15, 2018
It was an easy manageable job, but when the day was slow in the grocery store there wasn't much to do. It was boring to just stand there with old Italian music blasting over and over again. The hardest part of my day is when I get over-loaded with customers at the check-out line. Learned customer service and how to operate a cash register. Also picked up some people skills, trying to convince the customer to get a rewards card.
Pros
Discount at lunch, 15 minute paid breaks
Cons
Hours are fixed, it is hard rescheduling
Review of Uncle Guiseppe's
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYApril 26, 2018
Good first starting out part time job. Learned a lot about retail. Got some beginning leadership experience when I was put in charge of sample stations, assigning other sample girls to each station and sometimes picking the sample food for that day.
Nice people
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYApril 18, 2018
Everyone that works there are really good people, the work place in general is really nice. There is a 50% discount for your break. The cons would be the pay. The people who work with food should get paid more because working with food is harder. You have to make sure to always wear a hairnet and gloves. Then all the equipment has to be clean, all of your work area has to be cleaned. There has to be boxes carried thats are 10-20 pounds. Just many more things that go on and people who work with food get paid the same as someone who just works as a cashier in Uncle Giuseppes.
It’s an ok workplace
Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYMarch 12, 2018
I was paid very fairly and had flexible hours although I didn’t like the work culture. At one moment I had a small confrontation with my boss and didn’t give me any chance to defend myself or speak my side. Also they play the same 10 Italian songs EVERYDAY and it’s not a good experience by any means.
Pros
Hours
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7