Uncle Julio's Employee Reviews

Good money. Constant customer base, but unfair labor practices.
Bartender and Head Server (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 20, 2018
A lot of unpaid "side work" if you are a server or bartender. They underwent a lawsuit recently for unfair labor practices and lost. The company started laying off minimum wage employees which would do basic side work and placing the burden of those chores on the tipped employees. If you were working a 5-6 hours dinner shift you would spend an average of 1-2 hours on the side work after your shift which you weren't compensated for.
Pros
Busy
Cons
no benefits, no vavcation
Loved the Culture but didn't take care of their managers
FOH Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 11, 2018
Overall, the food and quality of training was phenomenal. Job security and overall compensation didn't work. Relocated to Atlanta, GA and was barely compensated for the major increase in cost of living expenses. Started out at a low base salary of $42k considering the work, establishment of company, and sales volume. Very cutthroat with 5 managers per store all fighting for a promotion, if one didn't do well, the rest were left hanging until they got it or got fired/moved.
Run far away
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXApril 14, 2018
Its was absolutely horrible ! They made so many promises to get you in the door and by the second week of working there , 9 people had already quit. They wouldn't work with your school schedule or other job schedule , make you work for hours OFF the clock, took the majority of your tips, worked you until you were so ran down and sick theyd have no choice but to let you go home and even then they would still expect you to magically get better overnight or risk being fired for missing another day . Management was unprofessional and rarely helpful . WORK ANYWHERE BUT HERE
Pros
Cons
no benefits, long hours, low pay, high tip out, no recognition
Fired for taking another part time job.
Grill Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth Convention Center, TXFebruary 16, 2019
I was told on Indeed that this position starts at $13.50 an hour.
When I was hired for AM line cook I was offered $11.50 an hour but took it because AM restaurant jobs are few and far between.

My first week I was scheduled at 7:30-3:00 and things were okay, but my second week my hours were cut in half as I was asked to come in from 10:00-2:30.

When I was hired somewhere else only on weekends after my usual endtime at Uncle Julio's I was promptly fired.

This is a terrible place to work, management does not care about you or your problems. Find something else.
Stressfull, Over worked & underpaid.
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VADecember 19, 2018
I had to deal with disrespect multiple times throughout the week. I took my complaints to management, but it was like they didn't care. Even though I consider myself the strongest, fast and most efficient worker in that location of the business, I still feel like I'm underpaid and unappreciated. The managers are pathetic, and favor Spanish culture over any other cultures. I wouldn't recommend anyone that I know to work at Uncle Julios'.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Racism
Good work enviorment
Busser (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJuly 5, 2018
Fun place to work, co workers are nice is Good work enviorment,its fast paced but not enoghh salary for me. Its a big company , if u willing to grow with the company
Pros
Works around my schedule
Cons
Short breaks
Sloppy management that plays favorites
Server (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 10, 2018
Working at this restaurant was a trap. The managers seem nice and friendly at first, but after awhile you start to notice that only the 'favorites' get the opportunity to make decent money while the rest of the servers will walk away with less than $50 every day. The managers do not seem at all concerned about the health, happiness or well-being of its servers, compete for power amongst themselves, never give promotions and often take out their personal issues on the staff. Every day you will need to walk on eggshells because depending on who is the floor/kitchen manager for that day can determine if the entire restaurant will be a disaster or not. There are no official breaks and managers do not make cuts in a timely manner.
(taxed/ $2.13) Tips only is NOT worth the way managers belittle you.
Pros
The food is decent
Cons
Poor management; Money just isn't worth it
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 14, 2018
Not much to say. Great food, great team members for the most part. Most management hired from within understands culture. Work life balance needs work. I would have liked to see a more trusting environment.
Pros
Team members know their roles for the most part
Cons
Work life balance needs significant improvement
Coworkers make it hard to leave
Server (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VASeptember 27, 2018
I worked at UJ's for 3 years -- starting from the day it opened. Management went downhill when our original GM left for another store. The current GM does not know how to handle his anger issues and projects it onto his employees. He speaks to you in the most condescending manner and then argues with you like a child. There is no communication between managers and then the consequences just fall on you. If you stand up for yourself (in a respectful manner) the GM will hold it against you and have it out for you. The relationships I built with my coworkers made it hard to leave and the money was so good for the amount of shifts I specifically worked. If you need a day off, you will need to get on your knees and beg (throw money) at people to take your shifts. Very unfortunate people aren't willing to just help you out when needed. Specific managers don't care if you are dying, you better have someone covering your shift.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Hard to get shifts covered, management is poor
Revolving door
Host (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 19, 2019
constant people getting hired and getting fired/quitting. No one cares about their job. Servers are too eager for tables that they harass the hosts. management never stayed the same as well.
Pros
free food
Cons
pay, work environment, flexability
Fast-Paced environment
HOSPITALITY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 23, 2019
The store where I work is a fast paced, high stress environment. I work 8-10 hours a day as a manager, and the pay is decent. Although, it is not quite high enough for the area. If I weren't living with roommates, I wouldn't be able to survive. The company culture is good, stressing that all guests leave with good memories, but they track it through the wrong means that leave some employees feeling unappreciated.
If you’re not a manager they don’t care
Server (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 30, 2018
If you need a day off good luck, no one will pick up shifts. Some of the managers are genuinely good people but the rest are complete trash. Most of the employees are drunks and pot heads and will smoke in the back room of the restaurant. The hours were horrible and they never cut when they say they will. Overall horrible place to work. The tip out is also crazy ridiculous. You won’t make money unless you’re a head wait. Coworkers were also super shady, fake right in front of your face.
Pros
Discounted meals and good music
Cons
Management sucks, fake employees, can’t request time off
Negative focused micro management
Server (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 19, 2018
Often times I wouldn’t get sat for 2-3 hours after clocking in. The hosts would sometimes double or triple seat you and then they wonder why you get wheated. There are not enough food runners because you will be yelled at to run food when you need to greet your own tables or get their drinks. I learned time management. The new management wouldn’t even say hello or acknowledge you until you did something wrong. They threatened write ups for every little mistake made. I wouldn’t say that they cared about the well-being of their employees because they’d rather see them pass out than eat a protein bar. The hardest part of the job was not being recognized for the positive reviews and good words that guests had for you, but instead punished for every bad review. The most enjoyable part of the job was some of my coworkers who were the only reason I stayed as long as I did.
Pros
Discounts on some food
Cons
No healthcare, workplace culture, tourist location
Absolutely the worst place I have ever served.
Server (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXAugust 8, 2018
The tip share is extremely high. It is about 6% of your sales. No matter if you make $70 or $15. They WILL still take your money to pay THEIR employees. They play favorites. They will skip seat rotation and sit someone who has been there for a while. If you’re new to the company, don’t expect to be a part of the crew for another 6 months. Very poor management. They DO NOT care about your life outside of that job. If you request days off they will not accommodate. Every shift was less than $60. Night or day. We all know why we go into the service industry and this place is not worth the time. They will treat you like a slave and still expect you to smile. I will never recommend this company to anyone. Overall, I think they are a very greedy company that doesn’t value their employees.
Pros
50% off food after your shift.
Cons
Just about everything
Uncle julios employment
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXAugust 5, 2018
I would not recommend this place to a bum to work at management does not care about peoples financial needs and definitely caters to their favorite employees. Anytime you come to them with a concern they ignore your request and go about their business. Then ask why everyone takes things personal they claim that their employees are like family yet they treat them like slaves or dogs and like they have no common sense. It's doesn't matter how hard you work your work ethnic will never be recognized and appreciated. Before they throw you in the corner to make $30 after a horrendous tip pool for people who don't do what their suppose to do although you still gotta tip them out. And go home with $20. Long story short if your a good worker and have good work ethnic take it else where you won't be appreciated.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything.
fast paced and competition
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 19, 2018
there was always something to do, no down time. The work wasn't worth the amount you got paid which was insane. They'd make you come in when you were snowed in even
Pros
free food during double shifts
Cons
pretty much everything else
Great food, great area, too many servers
Server (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 5, 2018
At this restaurant there is great potential to make money with it being a tourist area and how amazing the food is, and the pricing being higher than your average night out to a Friday's or Red Lobster. Great menu options as well, that you wouldn't normally find anywhere else. However, they do schedule too many servers on the floor, in my opinion, which leaves everyone with a low amount of tables per shift and it's hard to make money if you're not closing.
Overall Presented as a great opportunity
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 30, 2018
There are many opportunities presented and they are definitely focused on rapid expansion. A major concern is that they don't completely follow their mission statement. The training is decent in some locations however it is not consistent across the board. They definitely show favor to those members who have a longer tenure despite claiming tha teverything is based on productivity and seniority/tenure is not officially acknowledged. There is initially an aggressive training program which even sends you out of state however, once that is complete the training and development is pretty stagnant.
Pros
Great tex-mex
Cons
Inconsistent
High-paced restuarant
Host/Busser (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILFebruary 2, 2019
Uncle Julio's is a restaurant that is very fast paced and offers ways to be promoted throughout the company, many managers worked up the ranks to the management position.
Do not waste your time
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 26, 2018
This location is terrible. Managers yell at you and demand things and always threaten to fire you. If they dont like you, they will definitely make sure you know and always give you bad sections and barely any tables. Also, you are not allowed to request any days off. You have to get any shift covered or bring a doctors note or they wont accept you back.(unless you're in the circle of coarse.) i thought high school was bad. This place is a lot worse. You will hate your life going to work.
Pros
Discount on food, Good music
Cons
Pretty much everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Uncle Julio's. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight