Underwriters Laboratories Employee Reviews

Mixed Messages
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Camas, WA 98607September 21, 2018
They like change a lot, so if you are not into a constant change culture this is not the place for you.

Some of the time it seems that middle management is not on the same page as upper management. At the same time rarely is the front line employee actually heard prior to changes that effect their workflow being implemented.
Pros
many positions have flexible work schedule/hours
Cons
the company wants to empower their staff but middle management can be a hindrance to that
Great Place To Work
Associate General Counsel (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILSeptember 17, 2018
Great Place to Work. Opportunities are there but you have to find them. Can be a bit too political. Need turn over in top management.
Fun place if you like to learn; always new issues to deal with.
Pros
Balance
Cons
Pay lags
It's a job
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousSeptember 1, 2018
It's ok. I work in one of the business units that is not part of the core UL business. There used to be opportunities and a sense of camaraderie but that has been extinguished through a combination of weak leadership, a soul crushing bureaucracy, and every decision being dependent on the bottom line to the detriment of what we do. There are still a number of great people and a few good managers here but from a career perspective this place is a dead end.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent benefits, company name has brand recognition
Cons
Management is weak, compnay direction changes every six months, no career advancement unless you're at the headquarters
Flex-Time
Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCAugust 25, 2018
Flex time and automatic 10 days of vacation upon hiring. 9 AB days per year. It is extremely important to take advantage of opportunities for self-development and training.
Pros
Food Delivery
Cons
Na
Work/Balance
Accounts Payable Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAAugust 24, 2018
Great company to work for, I would say this was the best company I have worked ever worked for. The management was great and treated us with respect. We could use our time wisely and if needed to be out for any child care or family issues that was no problem.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Head Quarters is located in Chicago
It was an ok place to work!
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAAugust 15, 2018
Basically I did the same thing everyday which was mainly production work and some office work. I did learn how to test different machines for customers and drive a battery operated fork truck.
Pros
Flexible work hours when needed.
Cons
There was no room for advancement.
Very Productive and out-going company
Account Payables Specialist (Former Employee) –  UL Northbrook Head QuartersAugust 1, 2018
UL was the best experience I had had in a very long time with a company.
I treasure my memories with this company and the AP Unit I worked with...
My working career with Underwriters will always bring a Smile. There are some very Wonderful know work there. Many I still keep in touch with.
I am Grateful for the experience...
Great place to buld a career
IT Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJuly 12, 2018
Start work at 5:54 a.m.., review any night time issues that may have come in to our queue & assign accordingly. Review jobs or projects for the day & respond or setup. Finish work by 3 p.m.
Pros
great culture
Cons
decisions made at the wrong level of management
I give it a negative 5
Inside Sales Representative - Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 4, 2018
I truly thought that this was the most perfect fit for me. Based on my education, professional path as well as my ability to excel.

I was treated so poorly- I had zero chance of success in that god forsaken place -
RUN
Pros
Leaving
Great Location!
Meeting Planner (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 23, 2018
Great location with a small office. Ideal day was making sure the conference room was ready for meetings, ordering catering, calling for drivers, backup to the front desk.
Cons
Office building has a gym!
Job security but not much room for advancement
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJune 20, 2018
Not able to advance at a quick pace, mediocre pay and increases but job security. Flexibility of schedule and ability to work remote depends on the manager you have.
A challenging job assignment
Customer Service Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJune 10, 2018
UL conducted a 8 weeks training program to get us to the point where we could take service requests and requests for quotes on safety projects. Inbound Call Center and plenty of responsibility to complete work on inbound call requests.
Pros
Excellent job opportunities
Cons
Should be more management above supervisors
Nice place to work
Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Camas, WAMay 20, 2018
Depending on your job, a good place to work. ISR job is getting unrealistic with the work load. Hard to keep up but management keeps saying "I know we are giving a lot to do, but we know you can do it"
Productive and fun place to work
Regional Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 18, 2018
UL was a great place to work that allowed an appropriate amount of work/life balance. Some of the managers really did understand the theory of happy employees make productive employees. They did allow a great amount of professionals to work autonomously and make the most of their sales business.
Whirlwind of change
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 16, 2018
In 3 years my division was reorganized 7 times. I reported to 6 different managers in this span of time and each had their own methods and best-practices.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Everything else
Productive, Extremely fun and friendly, place to grow
QA Software & Hardware Tester (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 13, 2018
Awesome place to work in. Everyone is extremely friendly and there are many opportunities for you to learn, grow and develop a career. Everyone is willing to help you out and teach you new technologies.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 9, 2018
Great place to work, great learning environment. typical day at work includes working on projects inside a lab. Testing for potential failures. hardest part of the job would be diagnosing failures and having to inform the clients of the negative results.
Good company poor management
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 28, 2018
My manager was very poor and unprofessional, unapproachable, noncomminicative, only saw negative. I loved my job and the company was good. I only left because of my manager. There were several others leaving for the same reason. I don’t understand how the company kept this boss and even promoted them when the department they managed was a revolving door of good people. This manager was smart and experienced but should not be a people manager. Always stressed and complaining how hard things were this person was not happy and shouldn’t be in a director position. HR was awful and the worst I’ve experienced. Other than that it’s a good company, beautiful campus. Area is very high cost of living so most everyone commutes a long distance.
Pros
Campus, benefits, free parking, can occasionally work at home
Cons
My manager, invisible executives, do not treat women well
Directioness
Marketing (Former Employee) –  GlobalMarch 21, 2018
Constant changes in strategy, hodgepodge of point solutions, and heavy turnover, especially in management leads to an air of directionless meandering.
Great place to start your career
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newton, IAMarch 20, 2018
Everyone in the company was nice to me, and they were all willing to help me for any issues I had. Great communication within a team, and if you need help with other department, they are more than willing to collaborate to make overall project successful.
Pros
Great place to start your career
Cons
My branch was located in the middle of nowhere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Underwriters Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight