Underwriters Laboratories Employee Reviews

I give it a negative 5
Inside Sales Representative - Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 4, 2018
I truly thought that this was the most perfect fit for me. Based on my education, professional path as well as my ability to excel.

I was treated so poorly- I had zero chance of success in that god forsaken place -
RUN
Pros
Leaving
Great Location!
Meeting Planner (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 23, 2018
Great location with a small office. Ideal day was making sure the conference room was ready for meetings, ordering catering, calling for drivers, backup to the front desk.
Cons
Office building has a gym!
Job security but not much room for advancement
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJune 20, 2018
Not able to advance at a quick pace, mediocre pay and increases but job security. Flexibility of schedule and ability to work remote depends on the manager you have.
A challenging job assignment
Customer Service Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJune 10, 2018
UL conducted a 8 weeks training program to get us to the point where we could take service requests and requests for quotes on safety projects. Inbound Call Center and plenty of responsibility to complete work on inbound call requests.
Pros
Excellent job opportunities
Cons
Should be more management above supervisors
Nice place to work
Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Camas, WAMay 20, 2018
Depending on your job, a good place to work. ISR job is getting unrealistic with the work load. Hard to keep up but management keeps saying "I know we are giving a lot to do, but we know you can do it"
Productive and fun place to work
Regional Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 18, 2018
UL was a great place to work that allowed an appropriate amount of work/life balance. Some of the managers really did understand the theory of happy employees make productive employees. They did allow a great amount of professionals to work autonomously and make the most of their sales business.
Whirlwind of change
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 16, 2018
In 3 years my division was reorganized 7 times. I reported to 6 different managers in this span of time and each had their own methods and best-practices.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Everything else
Productive, Extremely fun and friendly, place to grow
QA Software & Hardware Tester (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 13, 2018
Awesome place to work in. Everyone is extremely friendly and there are many opportunities for you to learn, grow and develop a career. Everyone is willing to help you out and teach you new technologies.
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 9, 2018
Great place to work, great learning environment. typical day at work includes working on projects inside a lab. Testing for potential failures. hardest part of the job would be diagnosing failures and having to inform the clients of the negative results.
Good company poor management
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 28, 2018
My manager was very poor and unprofessional, unapproachable, noncomminicative, only saw negative. I loved my job and the company was good. I only left because of my manager. There were several others leaving for the same reason. I don’t understand how the company kept this boss and even promoted them when the department they managed was a revolving door of good people. This manager was smart and experienced but should not be a people manager. Always stressed and complaining how hard things were this person was not happy and shouldn’t be in a director position. HR was awful and the worst I’ve experienced. Other than that it’s a good company, beautiful campus. Area is very high cost of living so most everyone commutes a long distance.
Pros
Campus, benefits, free parking, can occasionally work at home
Cons
My manager, invisible executives, do not treat women well
Directioness
Marketing (Former Employee) –  GlobalMarch 21, 2018
Constant changes in strategy, hodgepodge of point solutions, and heavy turnover, especially in management leads to an air of directionless meandering.
Great place to start your career
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newton, IAMarch 20, 2018
Everyone in the company was nice to me, and they were all willing to help me for any issues I had. Great communication within a team, and if you need help with other department, they are more than willing to collaborate to make overall project successful.
Pros
Great place to start your career
Cons
My branch was located in the middle of nowhere
Great employees and supportive atmosphere
Sales (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 18, 2018
Employees were great to work with and the reason for staying in the job even if the job was unclear and not enjoyable. Learned quite a bit about safety testing.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 12, 2018
A typical work day includes working at your desk. And completing the tasks assigned to you. If they are projects than that is your task. What I've learned is that this place is all about money. If you make alot of money for the company they will allow you to do what you want and work when you want. The management here are managers and not leaders. They are not committed to helping the team become better as a team they are only committed to the financial portion of this company. It takes time to learn everything in this job and the hardest part is to try and learn fast without proper training. The most enjoyable part of this job is fridge benefits.
Pros
Heathcare, 401k, no clock to punch in
Cons
Favoritism, pay is low, raises are not fairly given.
Typical corporate
Associate Chemist II (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTMarch 12, 2018
This ran like a fairly typical corporate entity. The upper management never really cared about the individual workers, as long as work was getting done. As soon as the location stopped turning a profit compared to their expenses they shut down the location. Before they even finished the shut down process, they announced the purchase of another company that did the exact same work we had been doing.

I could have kept my job if I moved to Boston, but they wouldn't have increased my wage so it would be like taking a pay cut to keep my job and moving away from all my friends and family.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Unstable
An established company with an amazing record
Winner of UL Engineering Challenge 2013 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2018
I wasn't an employee of this company, but a student collaborator. I spent 2 weeks at their headquarters in Chicago, IL. During my brief stay, I learned a lot from the employees at UL. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and also continued to work in collaboration with UL for the next two years.
Productive and busy environment.
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 9, 2018
Productive and busy environment. Lots of travel. Good benefits. Training is a plus. I have had many opportunities for learning a variety of areas with electrical components. Opportunity exists to elevate career.
Na
Machine Learning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 8, 2018
There's not much to talk about. In good ways, there is a great deal to learn if you work there. You will be able to see different people that would challenge you on common sense and refresh your horizon of definitions.
Great Place to Retire From
Consumer Technology Division Engineer, 40HRS (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 6, 2018
People are very knowledgeable in their field of study. I worked at a cell cite and still felt like I was part of the team at RTC. The kind of place you want to retire from.
Great Atmosphere
Fiber Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARMarch 4, 2018
Working at Underwriter's Laboratories was a great experience, however the role I was in was not one I felt particularly suited for. I would absolutely recommend applying to a friend however.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Underwriters Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight