Underwriters Laboratories Employee Reviews

Life at UL
SENIOR LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Camas, WADecember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working at UL for most part. The downsizing part of UL is hard to take when I have worked there for over 30 years. At times work load would become heavy but manageable for most of the time. I have learned to be patient and saw what it take to be in business. I enjoyed the people at UL and the job was pleasant too.
Pros
The flex time
Cons
Down sizing
Great company to work for
IT/Business role (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJNovember 27, 2018
Company has a great culture that fosters innovation and autonomy. Employees work together to achieve results. There are few silos and all employees are encouraged to take ownership of the success of the company.
Great place to work flexible work environment and excellent leadership
Global Director Customer Solutions (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILNovember 7, 2018
Fantastic company to work for there is a strong mission focus on all that is done by this company and a great sense of accomplishment knowing you are helping make the world a safer place.
Lots of travel for consultans
Senior account executive/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 19, 2018
I worked int the transaction security division as a payments consultant and trainer. It was about 75-80% travel domestic mostly, but some international.
Cash Posting Specialist
Cash Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILOctober 10, 2018
Download bank statements
Only posted kickouts.Their system was automatic
Management was okay
I liked the job because I am good at this type of work.
I DO NOT like collection work at all. Cash Posting and Collection work are to very different things.
Mixed Messages
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Camas, WA 98607September 21, 2018
They like change a lot, so if you are not into a constant change culture this is not the place for you.

Some of the time it seems that middle management is not on the same page as upper management. At the same time rarely is the front line employee actually heard prior to changes that effect their workflow being implemented.
Pros
many positions have flexible work schedule/hours
Cons
the company wants to empower their staff but middle management can be a hindrance to that
Great Place To Work
Associate General Counsel (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILSeptember 17, 2018
Great Place to Work. Opportunities are there but you have to find them. Can be a bit too political. Need turn over in top management.
Fun place if you like to learn; always new issues to deal with.
Pros
Balance
Cons
Pay lags
It's a job
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousSeptember 1, 2018
It's ok. I work in one of the business units that is not part of the core UL business. There used to be opportunities and a sense of camaraderie but that has been extinguished through a combination of weak leadership, a soul crushing bureaucracy, and every decision being dependent on the bottom line to the detriment of what we do. There are still a number of great people and a few good managers here but from a career perspective this place is a dead end.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent benefits, company name has brand recognition
Cons
Management is weak, compnay direction changes every six months, no career advancement unless you're at the headquarters
Flex-Time
Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCAugust 25, 2018
Flex time and automatic 10 days of vacation upon hiring. 9 AB days per year. It is extremely important to take advantage of opportunities for self-development and training.
Pros
Food Delivery
Cons
Na
Work/Balance
Accounts Payable Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAAugust 24, 2018
Great company to work for, I would say this was the best company I have worked ever worked for. The management was great and treated us with respect. We could use our time wisely and if needed to be out for any child care or family issues that was no problem.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Head Quarters is located in Chicago
It was an ok place to work!
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAAugust 15, 2018
Basically I did the same thing everyday which was mainly production work and some office work. I did learn how to test different machines for customers and drive a battery operated fork truck.
Pros
Flexible work hours when needed.
Cons
There was no room for advancement.
Very Productive and out-going company
Account Payables Specialist (Former Employee) –  UL Northbrook Head QuartersAugust 1, 2018
UL was the best experience I had had in a very long time with a company.
I treasure my memories with this company and the AP Unit I worked with...
My working career with Underwriters will always bring a Smile. There are some very Wonderful know work there. Many I still keep in touch with.
I am Grateful for the experience...
Great place to buld a career
IT Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJuly 12, 2018
Start work at 5:54 a.m.., review any night time issues that may have come in to our queue & assign accordingly. Review jobs or projects for the day & respond or setup. Finish work by 3 p.m.
Pros
great culture
Cons
decisions made at the wrong level of management
I give it a negative 5
Inside Sales Representative - Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 4, 2018
I truly thought that this was the most perfect fit for me. Based on my education, professional path as well as my ability to excel.

I was treated so poorly- I had zero chance of success in that god forsaken place -
RUN
Pros
Leaving
Great Location!
Meeting Planner (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 23, 2018
Great location with a small office. Ideal day was making sure the conference room was ready for meetings, ordering catering, calling for drivers, backup to the front desk.
Cons
Office building has a gym!
Job security but not much room for advancement
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJune 20, 2018
Not able to advance at a quick pace, mediocre pay and increases but job security. Flexibility of schedule and ability to work remote depends on the manager you have.
A challenging job assignment
Customer Service Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJune 10, 2018
UL conducted a 8 weeks training program to get us to the point where we could take service requests and requests for quotes on safety projects. Inbound Call Center and plenty of responsibility to complete work on inbound call requests.
Pros
Excellent job opportunities
Cons
Should be more management above supervisors
Nice place to work
Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Camas, WAMay 20, 2018
Depending on your job, a good place to work. ISR job is getting unrealistic with the work load. Hard to keep up but management keeps saying "I know we are giving a lot to do, but we know you can do it"
Productive and fun place to work
Regional Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 18, 2018
UL was a great place to work that allowed an appropriate amount of work/life balance. Some of the managers really did understand the theory of happy employees make productive employees. They did allow a great amount of professionals to work autonomously and make the most of their sales business.
Whirlwind of change
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  New YorkMay 16, 2018
In 3 years my division was reorganized 7 times. I reported to 6 different managers in this span of time and each had their own methods and best-practices.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Underwriters Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight