Underwriters Laboratories Employee Reviews

Loved working there
Manager of Consolidations, Consultant (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 21, 2019
My boss was great. I wish there had been an opening for permanent placement. The people were nice and I liked the corporate culture. The only negative is that they like to hire accountants from big CPA firms thus they have high turn over. I was a consultant and I was there longer than other staff accountants.
I like it
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 15, 2019
Overall I like it. the people are cool but it starting to be a drag something. I think the company focus on the wrong thing and not looking for real solutions to there problems.
Okay place to work.
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 1, 2019
UL gave me my start of my Engineering carreer and is an okay place to work. People are guided by rules and must obey them religiously. Not much perks but its a failr company.
Pros
Offers pension plan as well as 401K.
Cons
Far from home and Job is not as stable as initially thought.
Poor Training
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILFebruary 26, 2019
Most commonly you are training you self in your protection method as other employees are super busy with their own projects and deadlines. Great benefits and overall not a bad company to work for.
Pros
Retirement Matching
Cons
Training
good place to start
Engineer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 25, 2019
this place is a good place to start, its fun and challenging and i think it was a good experience to be in for my first job in safety engineering but there are better places.
Great Work Experience
Data Management (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILFebruary 17, 2019
Working at UL gave me valuable experiences to take with me to future jobs, such as growth opportunities, paid training, and support. I enjoyed working with a few different teams throughout my years of working there.
Pros
job security
Cons
poor flexibility
management change often
Staff Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJanuary 20, 2019
I love the work I do, I believe in the mission of safety.

I do not like the inexperienced management in place.

The hardest part of the job is trying to get your work done and having 3-4 meetings a day every day, every week.
Pros
Awesome benefits, they are working to balance life and work
Cons
inexperienced management
A solid place to work.
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 19, 2019
I put in over 40 years there as an engineer which says something for stability. There also many changes going on at al times. Keeping on top of these is sometimes a challenge but understanding them and how they affect you goes a long way to keeping your job.
Pros
stability, fair salary, opportunities to progress at times
Cons
Constant changes to management and business strategies
Ok
Wireless Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Worked as an intern for the company as a test engineer. Long hours during the summer internship (roughly 60 hours a week), but overtime was a bonus as well.
Excellent place to work
ICS Specialist Grade A (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJanuary 11, 2019
I learned so much working for UL which is a family oriented company. I worked in the International department with different types of nationalities. The department gave you European Certification Mark.
Pros
Excellent company to work for
Cons
They started laying off which never happened until the year 2000.
No room for advancement
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 6, 2019
They do not follow their own policies regarding job posting so it is hard to advance. They will post a position then decide they want to fill another and back fill it and others without posting against their policies. You cannot believe them when they advise policies. Many people who are unqualified are promoted.
Management has different rules depending on who you are and will tell you one story then turn around and do something completely different.
Benefits
Cons
Management doesn’t follow policies, unqualified managers, no advancement
Overall evaluation
Senior Project Engineer In Product Safety (Current Employee) –  Brea, CADecember 21, 2018
Flexibility is great here; goals are getting tougher and tougher to meet; internal processes need lots of improvement; pay need to be adjusted to meet the market (relatively 10 to 20 % less than the average).
Pros
flexible
First Job
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILDecember 17, 2018
I had a great time at Underwriter's Laboratories, as first job out of college. However, as an engineer, sharpen your report writing skills, its a must here.
Descent place to work
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 11, 2018
Descent place to work if you dont have a electrical engineering job. Very relaxing and the hours are very easy. Sometimes if there is no work its just relax.
Pros
Relax
Life at UL
SENIOR LAB TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Camas, WADecember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working at UL for most part. The downsizing part of UL is hard to take when I have worked there for over 30 years. At times work load would become heavy but manageable for most of the time. I have learned to be patient and saw what it take to be in business. I enjoyed the people at UL and the job was pleasant too.
Pros
The flex time
Cons
Down sizing
Great company to work for
IT/Business role (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJNovember 27, 2018
Company has a great culture that fosters innovation and autonomy. Employees work together to achieve results. There are few silos and all employees are encouraged to take ownership of the success of the company.
Great place to work flexible work environment and excellent leadership
Global Director Customer Solutions (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILNovember 7, 2018
Fantastic company to work for there is a strong mission focus on all that is done by this company and a great sense of accomplishment knowing you are helping make the world a safer place.
Lots of travel for consultans
Senior account executive/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 19, 2018
I worked int the transaction security division as a payments consultant and trainer. It was about 75-80% travel domestic mostly, but some international.
Cash Posting Specialist
Cash Application Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILOctober 10, 2018
Download bank statements
Only posted kickouts.Their system was automatic
Management was okay
I liked the job because I am good at this type of work.
I DO NOT like collection work at all. Cash Posting and Collection work are to very different things.
Mixed Messages
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Camas, WA 98607September 21, 2018
They like change a lot, so if you are not into a constant change culture this is not the place for you.

Some of the time it seems that middle management is not on the same page as upper management. At the same time rarely is the front line employee actually heard prior to changes that effect their workflow being implemented.
Pros
many positions have flexible work schedule/hours
Cons
the company wants to empower their staff but middle management can be a hindrance to that

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Underwriters Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight