UNFI Employee Reviews

Human Resources
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  York, PAFebruary 13, 2019
The only good thing about working here was to gain experience in my career field. I have no idea how those who are in Management were able to get there. It was an awful work environment, unless you were a favorite. I do not suggest working here if you want to grow professionally. This place is a joke, especially in regards to the HR department.
Benefits
Cons
Horrible Management, extreme favoritism
Customer Service-Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 18, 2019
Order processing and customer service call center. A great team environment with competitive pay and excellent benefits. flexible hours and room for advancement.
Pros
Competitive Pay, Great benefits
Loved My Job
Southeast Supervisor/Field Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 6, 2019
Job was awesome. I worked in the field and mainly worked alone but when there was a major job the other merchandisers worked slow because of their age. They need to Hire employees that can perform the job to the set standard. When 3/4 of the team is about to retire or they can retire then they tend to work slower and have the I don't care attitude, which makes it harder for the employees who want their job.
Management needs to be more hands on and know more about their employees instead of just sitting in the office or their house.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Always travelled
Fast paced work environment not for the faint at heart.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WADecember 8, 2018
Employees work a lot of OT my highest two week pay period was 133 hours. There is very little room for work life balance. There is no 401k just a $0.40 per hour worked pension plan. Overall it’s hard work and it takes a special person to get through it everyday.
Hated it.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJanuary 25, 2019
They micro manage all employees. Management is AWFUL and the workplace is full of drama. It is not an enjoyable atmosphere and you can’t trust anyone you work with including supervisors and managers.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Everything else
Apply at your own risk
Selector/Picker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2019
The money is good (used to be better) but it's not worth the wear and tear on your body or getting bullied by higher management who can't run a business. If u suffer from anxiety, stress, paranoia, etc, then this is not the job for you because this job will worsen it. The managers and supervisors talk to you however they want, fire you if you don't work how they want you to work (or simply if they just don't like you), gives out unnecessary write ups, unnecessary changes to the company and punishments for reasons that doesn't make any sense. They give out points where if u get up to 10, you're automatically terminated. They give out a few for ridiculous reasons but one of the few things you get points for is taking a day off for personal reasons such as family emergencies, having an illness, etc. The bosses don't wanna hear that even if you ask them. They're gonna want u to come to work anyways or u will be dealt with. They can care less if your family member is on their death bed or if you're not in the right state of mind to work; they want you to work. That place has been opened for way too long for the management to still be as questionable as it is. That place is a prison but if you wanna be a slave for them, go right ahead.
Benefits
Cons
Questionable management
Be careful of management
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2018
Had to cover sales rep route. Did not know where I would go until you got a call in the morning. Sometimes I had to travel very far. I had to pack out product from a pallet. Management tracks the time it takes to finish work. Trainer was very experienced. Job was very stressful. Had to be efficient and fast. If you are slow they will tell you. Have to be prompt all the time. Made some good friends.
benefits
Cons
management
Look somewhere else this place isnt worth it.
Selector/Picker (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, NYNovember 21, 2018
I worked at unfi for 2 months and in that time the only positive thing about the job was meeting new people. They expect you to work at least 15 hour days and dont care to he as r if toyre tired, they want your percentage up or they'll fire you. They want you to be fast all day a d lift thousands of pounds of product and build pallets all while a bunch of new people are driving around and holding everyone up. This place is designed to make you want to quit. I wouldnt recommend this job to anyone.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Negative work enviornment
Director (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 6, 2018
Not a place i recommend working due to the executive team's expectation and compensation. The salary positions are expected to work until the job is done which will never happen due to the nature of the business so employees work over 50 hours a week.
Pros
Fellow Associates
Cons
Management, Work/Life balance, Pay
Family oriented
Foot stocker/Replenisher/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 28, 2018
Very professional will help you in any way they can. The Who are very positive. The benefits are a big help you can’t get this no where. The driver are nice also in helping you this is a great company to work for
Pros
Pay
Organic and Natural Food Distributor losing it's focus
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 25, 2018
I loved UNFI, for the most part. I think they are straying from their initial goal of being a distributor of Organic and Natural foods to competing too much with Amazon and catering to stockholders. Their focus has moved from people to profit, to the detriment of their company and employees.
My main reason for leaving was they pay too low for internally advanced employees. They are happy to train internally, but they do not compensate you appropriately. They would prefer to hire someone from the outside at more money than to increase an existing employee's salary to a competitive wage.
As an incubator or first time position, I would HIGHLY recommend UNFI. You will have the opportunity to grow and advance with good benefits and a pleasant work environment.
Pros
Work from Home, good benefits
Cons
Low pay
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 14, 2018
Just go in with frame of mind to work, great company to work for, good benefits management crew is very helpful, only reason I didn't succeed, I had personal issues I was dealing with that caused me to point out, which is a good system, if given another chance I know I will succeed, overall this is a great company.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Long hours some days
Poor
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJuly 31, 2018
Hard Work... batched pallets, inconsistency , Long Hours
Minimum raises... management could care less always giving you something... then taking away a lot
Pros
its a Job
Cons
Won't have a life
UNFI is a good place to work and offers advancement to qualified associates.
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 25, 2018
A typical day at work is usually not typical. You have to go with the expectations that every day can be different. The demands of customer orders, associate call offs, etc.
The workplace is a typical warehouse setting. They do have safety procedures in place.
I personally have had the opportunity to learn both sides of the work environment. I worked in the office and in the warehouse.
I think this was a great opportunity to explore the structure of the organization.
Pros
good benefits including 401k, good pay
Cons
not many paid holidays due to the type of business, can be long hours occasionally
UNFI review
Warehouse Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sturtevant, WIJuly 26, 2018
UNFI is a great company in a sense. They know what they want to do and are willing to get it done. They also have some awesome supervisory leadership that takes care of their staff when they can. The major flaw though is they take on too much work and the ones that slack off are never reprimanded for it and cause others to have to pick up their slack greatly.
Pros
Good compensation and incentive program
face paced work
Dry Grocery Selector (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 7, 2018
UNFI was a company that offered union coverage and great benefits and required a lot of time and energy but enabled you to learn warehousing and supply and demand very properly
Pros
great pay
Cons
hard labor
Good
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJuly 19, 2018
Good place to work, if you like rows of cubicles. Fair pay but raises were non-existent. Large company with hundreds of employees, good work environment.
Nice place for the right person
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandAugust 13, 2018
The company strides to make employees happy and maintain green habits. They honestly do try just not a good place for anyone that has anything else going on . If you work here you need to be devoted
To this place even when your not in the office. Not a really good work home balance.
Pros
Great benefits. Pay was good .
Cons
Manegment can be condicending and out of line at time
great work life balance
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 12, 2018
this place is good for work life balance; however, management communication is terrible and very little opportunities to advance - politics are huge here so not a long term place to be at
Avoid if you don’t like repetitive work
Warehouse Selector (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 13, 2018
Great place to work if you don’t have a life or have a family to go home to. Very long hours when I say long I don’t mean 12 hour days I’m talking about 16. Work is very repetitive. Repeating the same process over and over. I don’t recommend working here. Save your joints and back for another job.
Pros
Discount, benefits, Overtime
Cons
Very long days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNFI. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight