UNHCR

Working at UNHCR: 25 Reviews

United States25 reviews

workunhcrgooddayrefugeemanagementjoblearn

main work

- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.

Environnement de travail convivial et agréable

Le travail se faisait dans une bonne ambiance et une jovialité hors pair . Le professionnalisme était de rigueur .

UNHCR insights

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Cool I guess

If you like to be outside and hounding people to donate this is for you. Not my cup of tea I didn’t like how if you don’t receive the recommended donations you get threatened to get fired.

Gives a great and diverse perspective about how a healthy work environment should be.

At UNHCR punctuality is paramount like most work places. A typical day starts with team meeting and having a recoup of achievements and what's ahead. at UNHCR individual skills,talents and diversity is highly valued and encouraged in pursuit of excellence at achieving personal and overall team work. this stems from a long nurtured culture of promoting individual skills and talents and shunning unnecessary bureaucracy that mostly hinder efficiency in the work place.

Opportunities to training's

In general 90% of work was realized at field,but staff had a problem of communication at work, I learned many things like inclusion and diversity .,...via e-learning , About management I saw that the decisions taken are based only on top management only. Very appreciated the work place culture comparing to other entities because of respect.hardest part of job is to work without good result.and the enjoyable part of job is to work and reaching on the satisfaction of your clients,

Not good workplace, no apprecaiation

You are required to work a lot and there is much appreciation. Recruitment and promotion are based on the power of the people you know not on your skills and qualifications.

It's good place to work specially for citizen and international worker

UNHCR is good place to work they pay good salary on time. The office is wel equiped and good security. You work on schadule and no overwelming. It's good place I have worked in Kenya.

Great organization

Would do it all over again!! The travel and experience was great. I had a blast getting to know different people and just working with different cultures.

productive and helpful

it is normally five days work per week where one can gain more skills and experience. it is also administratively effective and good. It culturally diversified-supporting organisation and enjoyable to work with.

Pros

provides experiences

Cons

short breaks

UNHCR is a very great organization always trying to promote its employees

I have nothing to be mentioned, in the meantime i am looking forward to get promotion by applying for a job in other organizations, I have found UNHCR very great organization with professional staff and policies.

Emergency and result based environment

The working environment is very result based with a lot of importance attached to punctuality, precision and respect of the standard of work. I learnt how to be accountable, and how to respect date lines. The management was very professional and extremely result oriented.

Pros

Cons

one hour daily breaks

Good employer if you are a regular staff.

The nature of my work given coordination and linkage creation was interesting and fulfilling. It was good working with UNHCR. UNHCR was equal employer.

Pros

Interraction with the Refugees and Host was beneficial

Cons

Consultancy Contract was not a stable contract

Productive workplace with gym, retreat, happy hours on Fridays

Work with children and women in refugee camps, child-friendly spaces. Training government officials and other NGOs involved in child protection issues.

Pros

Paid accomodation

Cons

Difficult to get recomendations through management.

Kangombe linda foundation/peace social development and human stability around the world

Charity for refugees refugees around the world supporting the ten commandements of God to stop violences and crimes in the human society . support orphans and widows refugees, stand for non violence in uganda kampala and give the new hope for the next generations.

Pros

Cons

Health inssurance

good environment of work that promotes equality for all

I believe in team work and spirit of motivation and dedication to attain set target and perception of improvement to failures and second chance for work not done well plus result oriented professional and marvelous performances to goals set

Creative Interpretation

 Face-to-face interviews interpretation for refugees from different nationalities.  Over-phone-interviews and calls interpretation.  At sight translation for refugees different materials to clarify confusing points for caseworkers.  Accurate written translation for different types of documents: ( Legal, medical, social and military )  UNHCR's InfoLine interpretation to facilitate information sharing between refugees and UNHCR's staff. *Worked also with German Mission in Egypt at UNHCR.

productive and excelleny work place

registering refugees and documenting them. creating one data foe all the incoming refugees and locating them housing units. providing them with cooking utensils and housing unit.

Pros

free lunch and tea break

Cons

no over time and other benefits

Vital place of work in huge well known firm and place

Always loaded and fun. I always need to learn more. Professional impressive management. Hard workers willing to develop. When work does not meet requirements. The achievement indicator and happiness of targeted beneficiaries.

Pros

Security, profesionalisim

Cons

Combined hardwork with staff wellfare

A typical day work is always very busy but simultaneously full of joy and rewards, as we care for human being in need of protection involving different kinds of attention, intervention and support such as psychosocial, material, health, food and NFIs. We learn planning, implementation, management of resources, timely delivery of services, monitoring, review and sharing of lessons learned. The hardest part of the job is to travel to unsecured areas. The most enjoyable part of the job is to serve persons in need of help and at the end of the day you realize that you manage to safe lives, you manage to give a portion of food to those they need most, you provide a drug to a patient seriously ill and you manage to save lives.

Pros

Regular rest and recuperation supported by the organization

Team working

UNHCR is very good UN agency its impact are very ferpect it has good management team works

Pros

We have equal right to everythings

Cons

There is No short break but it has a good healthy care for the staffs member

productive and fun place to work

My day to day duties varied. Some days I would be out on the field with an i pad trying to recruit as many local donors as I could; other days I was in the office preparing presentations, taking minutes or doing regular administrative tasks. I loved working here. I enjoyed the fact that my co workers were from all walk of life and everyday Learned from different cultures where i even got to pick up a few words from different languages as i did teach them some Swahili words. The work environment was very fun yet busy but very friendly.

Common questions about UNHCR

Answered by current and former employees at UNHCR

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNHCR. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare UNHCR with

Learn about UNHCR in popular locations

• UNHCR