Unidine Employee Reviews

2.8
Ratings breakdown
Good customer service experience, learn about dietary foods, worked with elder 80+
Part-Time Server (Current Employee) –  Sykesville, MDJuly 8, 2018
Teamwork is important
Have to be professional
When residents come off wrong respond with respect
Have to be fast pace
Learning residents name & meals is a big help
Label all items that are open
Cleanliness is important ( vacuum, polish , chemical wash )
Pros
Free lunches & Drinks
Cons
Paid every 2 weeks
The food
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 2, 2018
Taste good and yummy amazing fresh food and daily delivery
The costs of the food is very below average, Unidine is doing a awesome job to help us with healthy nutritious
Not the greatest
Dining Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 10, 2018
I have no problem working hard for my money but this job is definitely a challenge. I would strongly recommend reading up all the reviews and asking a ton of questions before applying.
Okay place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Sykesville, MDJune 2, 2018
Typical place the management is so so, learned a lot about elderly care that I can use in other areas of work. The hardest part was getting attached to patients who are near death constantly
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 20, 2018
This is a very stressful place to work always understaff and with that comes an increase of work load which in my view is too much everytime with the amount allotted it was impossible to get all done in the normal work hours and pay is minimum so I would never recommend this place to anyone ever!
Pros
Cons
Stress
Poor middle mangement. Only intrested in cutting labor and food cost.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 19, 2018
Horrible middle mangement. Tell lies to clients to get contract then penny pinch them for everything.
Cut labor Cut food.
That fresh concept works if you have qualified staff to cook and serve the food.
For the wages this company offers you get what you pay for. Crappie workers.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Expensive health benifits for hourly workers
Horrible environment...
Food and nutrition lead (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, miMay 12, 2018
Management is awful. I was hired as a lead in the patient line cafeteria, which is not the position I was told I would have in the interview. Management coddles bad employees then gets upset when those employees are insubordinate and shows a complete lack of respect for middle and lower management. This company is a neverending catch 22. If I'm quiet, I'm creating a negative environment. If I say anything, I get insubordination from employees. When I delegate, I'm not doing my job. When I don't delegate, I'm not doing my job and creating negativity. I help people with trays and side work, I'm enabling them to be lazy. I don't help, and I'm lazy. Nails are supposed to be clean and free of polish of any kind and trimmed short. No more than 1/4 inch over the fingertips. Employees show up with painted, decorated, and artificial nails all the time. Upper management says these things need to come off, but nothing happens and it continues. This is all around just a horrible place to work. If I could give 0 or negative stars, I would!
Pros
$7 provied daily for meals.
Horrible management great coworkers
Diatary Aide (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 29, 2018
Management at unidine/Bethesda needs work. They are always short staffed and treat hard workers who put effort into their job like garbage. Pay is very low with constant employee turnover rates. The only best part about this job is interacting with the residents; trying to make them feel as if they are home. As a workers POV this company needs to treat their workers with more respect.
Pros
Free food, residents
Cons
Pay, management
Challenging Company to work for
Clinical Nutrition Manager (Former Employee) –  Darlington, SCApril 27, 2018
There is turnover in management. Poor retention rate of contracts. Travel and relocation may be required. Advancement is available. Good company values.
If you just need to get a check. Otherwise stay away.
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 22, 2018
Company has great marketing but things are very different. Most of the things they do are just busy work. The regional managers don't care about the employees at all or whats really going on they just wanna look good on paper. VP of operations nevers says anything positive. "Standards" aren't the same for all employees in the same positions. No point in reporting anything to HR they just forward you to the managers you are reporting and there will be retaliation.
Pros
Helping Senoirs live better
Cons
Upper Management
Engaging Work Enviornment
Director of Dining Services (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, MAApril 16, 2018
Over a great company to work for. Salaries could be higher, but over all a good place to work. The culture is very FRESH focused on food with high standards. I enjoy working for this company, just wish the pay was better.
Pros
Culture, Upper management support
Cons
Low Salaries
It's a job (Just Over Broke)
Food and Nutrition (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIApril 15, 2018
I have been fortunate to have moved up about as far as I can within the company and specific location, but it's not where I want to me and they don't seem to care enough to help me get to where I want. They seem to go for candidates who look good on paper and aren't so good in real life. A perfect example is that I was passed over for a management position even though many people felt I would have done an excellent job at it with my experience, personality and leadership skills and ability. They need a complete management over haul and their major problems start right at the top. They are severely lacking in good leadership and even fail to do anything about it. I know because I have tried multiple times. They allow people to take advantage of the system and basically do what they want and they are not truly disciplined properly, for they keep getting away with it. They "discipline" for and over the less important things and more so if someone cries enough about it. I know of some people who have been nothing but an awesome and extremely hard-working employee, who ended up showing late once and were written up for it , while others call in frequently and basically just get a slap on the wrist. When you approach management about it all you hear is that they are going by the book as closely as they can. What book are they using!? These people should be out on the street looking for a new job! Management here keeps doing things that keeps driving good employees away. I know because I have seen it multiple times. They keep giving the same excuses about various things you bring  more... to their attention, and then you start to feel as tho it's pointless to even say anything. It's quite stressful at times because people don't seem to notice or care about the little things and are just there for a paycheck and management doesn't seem to care either way. The way things are, they will keep going downhill. They don't have the management that cares enough, and especially the leadership needed to strive. You are welcome to join and see for yourself, for it may not be so bad to and for you, but I won't be recommending this company to anyone - I've seen too much.  less
Pros
New awesome friends and relationships, Some free food
Cons
Management, Lack of Growth
no real incentive to work here
Server (Former Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOApril 13, 2018
You are basically working as a server at a restaurant where you will not get any tips. You are paid a low hourly wages, with no benefits unless you are full time. The residents either love you or want to drive you mad. Busy dining room, everyone wants to eat at the same time so the place is packed for about an hour at dinner. The best part about the job are the residents that are kind to you, they feel like family. The worst part is managers who don't enforce rules, residents who are notoriously cranky, section arrangements that change last minute.. It's not the worst job, but if you want to be a waitress/waiter, go to a restaurant that will give you tips so you can at least earn a decent living. This kind of job is for young kids who can still live with their parents.
Pros
casual, sometimes fun
Cons
low wages, no free food
Overall good experience
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  New York StateApril 11, 2018
Being a contract company your experience will depend a lot on the client. The people before me did a poor job so the client was happy with me and largely left me alone unless there were serious problems.

I always had plenty of support and the tools that I needed. As a chef, Unidine shares my values as it emphasized fresh food and scratch cooking. The recipes themselves are a bit lacking, which is disappointing considering the great quality and variety of products you have to work with.

Benefits are very costly, but the 401k features profit sharing which is very nice.

Hours can be long as this industry (senior living) seems to attract the most call-out prone people I've ever met in my life, and at the end of the day, the job needs to get done.
Pros
High standards
Cons
Expensive benefits
It was stressful, but for a teenager it had good hours and well enough pay.
Server (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 8, 2018
Hours are like this:
-evenings from 3:30 to 8pm
-lunch from approx. 11am to 1:30 pm
-breakfast (I never worked this so I do not know the time)

The managers work with you and what shifts you can do. I could only work Friday and Saturday in the evenings, so that is what I did. I got approximately 250 dollars biweekly from that.

The job itself is hard because there are not many workers so you have a lot of tables. The residents give you their orders ahead of time but come in at different shifts. You have to learn their names and figure out ahead of time where they will sit to make it easier on yourself. You have to bus the tables yourself as well as put on new tableclothes for the next residents to sit. You have to bring in their appetizers, drinks, entrees and desserts. I walked so much that I lost 10 pounds the first two weeks. It was good for me though!
Pros
Free food after Dinner is over. O.K. pay
Cons
No breaks. Bus the tables yourself. Run the food yourself.
Its a nice place to work
Sever (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 4, 2018
Love working there its at a fast pace. You have to be on time. The people there are friendly and will help you if your behind. I miss working there. Thank you
wasnt great
Regional Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2018
sucked big time this review is nonsense and keeps telling me to type and give more details... even though I was passed the character minimum. I have 10 characters left.. I think I just typed enough
Pros
traveling
Cons
traveling using personal money then get reimbursed
Frequent change in management and low morale
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 29, 2018
The managers don't care how much work you put into the organization. They will promise you promotions and then back peddle, claiming there were never promises made. The higher ups tend to hire their own people from outside organizations than to promote from within. Unidine is a corporation with a great purpose, but on a unit level there are so many issues and egos that it's hard to stay there longer a year or two. There are clear favorites and they switch your schedule around without notice.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
expensive health care, poor management
Worked every day.
Exc. Chef (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIMarch 24, 2018
To many cooks on staff in a small account. 3 people could easily run it. It was over staffed causing constant drama issues. Seniors and residents made friends with workers to the point of guests coming into the kitchen. Over crowding of employees in the food production area made for lazy workers or just unstimulated.
Pros
lots of helpers
Cons
drama.excuses.
I would recomend for experience
Cook (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 20, 2018
Supplied uniforms were good, fast paced, energized environment. Wasn't very good management skills be provided, and things often would be overlooked which shouldn't have been.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No advancing