UniFirst Employee Reviews

Featured review
UniFirst selected this as a representative review
Growing Company with great benefits!
Location Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 3, 2018
Very rewarding career if you set your mind on growth and development. The hours worked for management depends on your attention to detail and what you want to accomplish. Management has always supported my goals and ideas even when some are crazy, but we cross the bridge together. The family culture is what keeps me here and I have yet to regret waking up in the morning. It is a very demanding "Customer Service" field and it is a personal commodity we offer, but very rewarding. I have enjoyed my career for the past 20 years and look forward to at least another 20!
Pros
Family culture!
Cons
Productive and fun place to work with great one on one employee opportunity
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYDecember 9, 2018
I enjoy working with UniFirst but would love to see more family oriented activities during work related events. Production managers are great and give ample opportunity for advancement in other departments but very few on first shift.
Pros
yearly raise and bonus
Cons
lack of Family time opportunity due to work schedule
Extremely poor
RSR Trainee (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 7, 2018
If there a way to describe Unifirst as a driver, it would be terrible!!! Two weeks of training (if that) out of the corporate promise of 8 weeks. No home life. Threatened to lose job over a attempted call out due to lack of sleep. Unethical if not illegal use of drivers. Management that has their heads permanently installed in their in rear end. A General manager who would like to apologize instead of fixing the problem. He was not a terrible guy though. Hours worked 14 hrs a day. Home life none management as stated before none. Plant workers where nice, fellow drivers were nice but that's the only nice thing i can say about that place.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Everything except for coworkers
Structured training but dont follow
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Atkins, VADecember 5, 2018
Management was a joke. Unrealistic sales targets for the territories; ex. sales goals were the same for the coalfields of VA as Richmond offices.
Alot of good training requirements, scripts and material, but it's not followed.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 5, 2018
Great work hours,good pay scale, good benefits.plenty of work. Diverse group of people. Friendly place to work. Continually improving work environment.
Stressful, long hours, management is terrible
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 5, 2018
Typical day starts at 5 am and is usually a 10-12 hour working day. You start by reviewing your invoices to make sure you have your product for your customer, loading truck in the morning with your shortages. You drive your box truck with uniforms, mats, rags to customer and service your 20-40 accounts you have for the day. Once at the customer, you count dirty/clean uniforms, charge for any damages, discuss with customer, have them sign/pay. After you complete your day on the route you go back to warehouse to turn in money collected, invoices, and talk to management about any issues,sales, call ins you may have.
Pros
401k vacation sick pay
Cons
50+ work weeks, long hours 10-13 hour days, management is terrible, you must sell sell sell
Great company
Location Manager (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CADecember 3, 2018
I really enjoyed working with different internal & external customers to help them find solutions.....................................................
To much favoritism
Final Assembly (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 3, 2018
You have to know someone in the company or be related to work there. The floor supervisor are very unfortunate professional at there manager position. They move you around to different position if the floor manger doesn't see something your doing rite... Instead of having a open communication with the employees.
Poor Sales Management
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 29, 2018
When I interviewed for this position I was told there was a new sales manager who had been promoted. I was very excited just start this new career path that's where the trouble started when I interviewed I was told there was a 7 week training program and that I would receive mileage reimbursement but my first day on the job I was told it was a 13 week training program and I wouldn't receive any mileage until I finished my sells certification. There are two days a week that you have to be at the office by 6:55 the rest of the time by 7:30 which is really hard to do for someone that has a family those times are not discussed during the interview. My manager was promoted after only being with the company a few months she was great with numbers but lacked people skills and didn't have a defined management style I have never worked for a company where I felt so disrespected. I spent more time memorizing Scripts word for word that I did in the field I also spent more time in the office and didn't get very much still training the days that I was supposed to get field training the manager would stay for a little while and then go help another rep even though it was my training I wouldn't recommend this as a sales career they are always talking about how they have such a high turnover rate and now I see why
Pros
Good benefits, decent pay
Cons
Untrained management, and professional development
Great opportunity with UniFirst! There are some areas of opportunity that the company could maximize on though.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 29, 2018
Good company to sharpen your skillset once you master the UniFirst way. Compensation for your hard work could be better, especially for this results driven company.
Pros
Not shackled to a desk
Cons
Compensation
physical, energetic, fast paced environment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  New Kensington, PANovember 28, 2018
Steady work at a fast pace keeping trucks coming in logged as well as going out. inventory, cleaning out trucks and shipped to the otherside of the warehouse.
Pros
alot of energy consumed which i use anyway.
Cons
everybody dont work as hard as you.
Uniform Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New Kensington, PANovember 27, 2018
Unifirst is a great place to work. The management helps you in any way possible to help you achieve your goals. It is true team selling and a positve environment to learn and grow. You definitely work hard, but the people make it worth it.
Pros
Great team environment and management goes above and beyond for you
Mostly positive things to say
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 26, 2018
I really liked my colleagues, the pay, and having weekends and holidays off. I wish that the things I was trained to say in order to make a sell didn't contradict what happens on the service side (I don't like lying to prospects). Also, their contribution to health insurance could be larger. I like that they promote from within and. There's a lot of opportunity to make a job with UniFirst into a career. As with any sales job, the more time you commit the bigger your reward.
Pros
insurance, Pto, off holidays/weekends, supportive management, always more to learn
Cons
Lying to sell, costly insurance w/ poor coverage, a lot to learn
ok
Loader/Packer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 26, 2018
one of my first jobs. it was ok one of my many learning experience. i worked production in the warehouse my training was quick my trainer was fair. the pay was low
Pros
close to home
Cons
hot warehouse all day
Nice place to work
Washer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 25, 2018
Nice place to work but no room to advance but most people people are good and nice to meet and work with. I learned how to operate industrial washer and dryer shirt press
Great work culture
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 19, 2018
Telemarketing, cold calling businesses, customer service, New business generation.
Logo mat design, Logo for rental uniform clothing. Building relationships with business owners.
Unifirst Supervisor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2018
As Driver you were up before 5am and on the road until 5pm. You have to handle dirty clothes all day.

In the plant you were on your feet for 9-10 hours walking the plant. You did a lot of manual work even as a supervisor/manager.
was a temp but employees seemed happy
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MANovember 16, 2018
I worked for a temp there.
Very busy office.
Could come in early or leave late.
People in department seemed to be dedicated.
Looking to improve the deapartment when I left.
Pros
Free Coffee and cafe
Cons
Worked through their lunch
prepare and print shipping labels corresponding to shipping needs.
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCNovember 14, 2018
Go in at 5am get off at 1:30 pm.Track inventory report any shortages to sales team so we can update the website. Contact carrier and schedule shipping for each packages. the most enjoyable was the hours.
Pros
The hours worked.
Cons
It was very hot!
Terrible hours contributing to unrealistic routes.
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 13, 2018
During interview managers tell you its 8 hour days with some days longer. No its 12 hour days unless you get a small route in which case you don't get commission. The routes are unorganized and hard to work. Accounts are too far apart which makes the day longer. Also some accounts dont make much sense. This company will do anything for account regardless of making sense. You will drive out of you way on routes to service a $8 a week account. Not only does it cost more in gas to get to that account but it takes time away from you to be able to service bigger accounts which makes your day longer. Will do and say anything to accounts to either keep or steal accounts from other uniform companies which makes it hard on route drivers.Route takes around 8 to 9 hours to do but then you have to go back to warehouse to load truck and do cash out with your manager. This takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours depending how many drivers are ahead of you. This job is 60 hours at least. You get commission but only if your route makes enough a week but is hard to do when most routes are bloated with small accounts. They need to have a minimum charge on accounts to make it worth the drivers time. Average route makes about $800 a week that you take home. Sounds good until you add in the time you work. $800 a week divided by 60 hours a week and your doing this high labor job for $13 an hour and that's not including the taxes taken out. This job would be worth it if overtime was offered but it isn't. Your working 60 hours a week for commission salary. Oh but this is only if your lucky enough to get  more... a route. You only get a route if one becomes available. Which means your going to be considered a jumper until you get a route. You get a fixed weekly salary which is lower than all the route drivers make. But your doing drivers routes when they call in sick. So your still working the 60 hour days driving other peoples route which is harder because you wont know where the accounts are, what door to go in, who signs invoice, where uniforms go, or mats, which makes your day even longer. Yet you get paid less. You have to watch a ton of videos and take tests on them. And I mean a lot of videos. these videos are anywhere from 20 to an hour long. Then they expect you to remember what the video says at the beginning. After about 45 videos again all ranging in different lengths you will take the final test covering everything you watched which is hard because you don't take all videos in 1 day. It takes weeks to get done because you can only do them when you have time. Your out on route with a driver and have to wait until they are done. So after a 10 to 12 hour day then they expect you to go do the videos that can only be done on their computers. 1 manager is hard to train with because he always makes fun of you and calls you names, talks about your family and such thinking he is playing around when its really distracting when your trying to learn. Ask any questions and its more of being made fun of. Just not a good learning environment, GO anywhere else as a route driver trust me.  less
Pros
Other drivers are cool people and very helpful
Cons
long hours, bad accounts, manager making fun of you all the time.
I used to enjoy my job but corporate and management are starting to not care about there employees
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 5, 2018
This job worked for what I needed . Things have changed in the work place . No enjoyment anymore . No appreciation and the pay is low always worked side jobs to have a life.insurance was good now it's like the rest it's to high and doctors stink.
Pros
Can work 2 jobs if needed with the low hours
Cons
Low pay and hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UniFirst. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight