UniFirst Employee Reviews

Found 954 reviews matching the search See all 1,014 reviews
Featured review
UniFirst selected this as a representative review
Growing Company with great benefits!
Location Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 3, 2018
Very rewarding career if you set your mind on growth and development. The hours worked for management depends on your attention to detail and what you want to accomplish. Management has always supported my goals and ideas even when some are crazy, but we cross the bridge together. The family culture is what keeps me here and I have yet to regret waking up in the morning. It is a very demanding "Customer Service" field and it is a personal commodity we offer, but very rewarding. I have enjoyed my career for the past 20 years and look forward to at least another 20!
Pros
Family culture!
Could be Much Better
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Management is hard on employees, but does not lead by example. Several managers had not passed their training, yet were allowed to make decisions which impacted employees, sometimes heavily. The company does not typically promote employees from within its ranks, often hiring from outside the company for management roles. At some locations (smaller branches), hitting the your sales quote can be difficult, and often impossible.
Pros
Mileage reimbursement, full benefits, salary & commission
Cons
Poor management, unrealistic sales quota, location losses accounts often due to poor customer service, high turnover
Management Don't care-
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FLFebruary 8, 2019
The Fl region is terrible, HUGE turnover, 12 sales people in 3 years, i was the only on left with over 3 years with the Branch in sales. Very little consistent help to get your goals met, favoritism and lack of motivation, and its like a clique or club if your not part of it you will know. The one lady in the office runs the place, no respect for others, and they don't live the standard that is on the walls in the plant. Very sorry to say, but the turnover is HUGE, and they don't care to keep people. Also there is 3 family members working in the same building, riding into work together, and of course one of them is a supervisor...
Pros
No weekends
Cons
No pay raise in 3 years, cliques, corporate don't care, the good old boy syndrome
Poor management in the garage
Mechanic Technician (Current Employee) –  New Kensington, PAJanuary 13, 2019
The manager dont know nothing about the vehicles nor works or does anything but sit and walk around the shop, shop manager is a motorcycle mechanic and doesn't know nothing about these particular vehicles. The employees in the garage are worthless, one goes to bathroom 4 hrs out of everyday, one only works on minor stuff and is up managements butt, the garage is so poorly ran and needs complete new management. Got tonuse your own clothes for work no uniforms and there a uniform company....???
Pros
Cons
All the above
Unifirst needs to do better
Final Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 11, 2019
After being hired on for three months at UniFirst you're eventually see there's no motivation to work there any longer. The unit first I was that made you work a lot harder for very little. The building I work that made 1.6 billion dollars in profit. on an average maturity of the people inside the building were pay no more than $11hr. Several employees have been working there for at least five years and make $10.80 (3%)
Pros
Got off work before 5pm
Cons
Poor pay, poor management
I like working there I just don’t get paid enough
Dry Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 2, 2019
I like working there because everyone collaborates. I also like working there because the coworkers are pleasurable and they are not racist, meaning that just because I am hispanic they are going to pay me less. I would continue working there if they would pay me enough but they don’t, and I am a single mother with 3 kids and the amount I get paid isn’t enough.
Pros
None.
Cons
They don’t pay my 40 minute lunch break
Easy, and fun workload
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 5, 2019
This is a great company to work for overall. However, my experience at the Fayetteville location wasn't pleasant. The lack of communication at the Managerial level is unacceptable for a place such as so. They have no respect for the ladies working in the office. The Fayetteville location does not work as a team! Fingers are constantly being pointed. They are not welcoming to new employees. Instead of correcting you when you are wrong and training you properly, they laugh and talk about your mistakes amongst themselves; management that is. They pretty much walk all over the OA and any woman without a backbone at this particular location. In spite of that, they offer great benefits and incentives for safety points and employer discounts.
Extremely poor
RSR Trainee (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 7, 2018
If there a way to describe Unifirst as a driver, it would be terrible!!! Two weeks of training (if that) out of the corporate promise of 8 weeks. No home life. Threatened to lose job over a attempted call out due to lack of sleep. Unethical if not illegal use of drivers. Management that has their heads permanently installed in their in rear end. A General manager who would like to apologize instead of fixing the problem. He was not a terrible guy though. Hours worked 14 hrs a day. Home life none management as stated before none. Plant workers where nice, fellow drivers were nice but that's the only nice thing i can say about that place.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Everything except for coworkers
Mostly positive things to say
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 26, 2018
I really liked my colleagues, the pay, and having weekends and holidays off. I wish that the things I was trained to say in order to make a sell didn't contradict what happens on the service side (I don't like lying to prospects). Also, their contribution to health insurance could be larger. I like that they promote from within and. There's a lot of opportunity to make a job with UniFirst into a career. As with any sales job, the more time you commit the bigger your reward.
Pros
insurance, Pto, off holidays/weekends, supportive management, always more to learn
Cons
Lying to sell, costly insurance w/ poor coverage, a lot to learn
Stressful, long hours, management is terrible
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 5, 2018
Typical day starts at 5 am and is usually a 10-12 hour working day. You start by reviewing your invoices to make sure you have your product for your customer, loading truck in the morning with your shortages. You drive your box truck with uniforms, mats, rags to customer and service your 20-40 accounts you have for the day. Once at the customer, you count dirty/clean uniforms, charge for any damages, discuss with customer, have them sign/pay. After you complete your day on the route you go back to warehouse to turn in money collected, invoices, and talk to management about any issues,sales, call ins you may have.
Pros
401k vacation sick pay
Cons
50+ work weeks, long hours 10-13 hour days, management is terrible, you must sell sell sell
Miss managed, long on promise short on delivery
Route sales representative (Current Employee) –  MarylandDecember 17, 2018
You have to keep track of everything you sell because if you don’t they will not pay you my location is run by a drug addict. Our plant shorts us product daily, they promise things that we can not deliver. Our managers don’t come to work until 1 in the afternoon
Pros
401k match weekends off
Cons
Employees selling drugs to managers, mgrs not coming to work until 1 o’clock
Worst place to work
CSR (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEDecember 13, 2018
Management doesn’t care about their employees. Lack of help from management when needed. Customers are always complaining and management does nothing about it. They have lost a lot of business because of very poor management. Numerous unhappy/disgruntled employees who feel trapped in the job. General manager has no clue what’s going on inside the plant.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, lack of respect for employees
Productive and fun place to work with great one on one employee opportunity
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYDecember 9, 2018
I enjoy working with UniFirst but would love to see more family oriented activities during work related events. Production managers are great and give ample opportunity for advancement in other departments but very few on first shift.
Pros
yearly raise and bonus
Cons
lack of Family time opportunity due to work schedule
The most toxic workplace I have ever worked in.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYDecember 27, 2018
This was the worst job of my entire career. The staff was unfriendly and very cliquey. The favoritisms for other “team partners” was erroneous, and the toxicity of the work environment was unbearable. They have a VERY high turnover rate due to these issues. DO NOT go to management for help, especially if it involves another employee. (Bullying, harassment). They will get rid of that employee instead of dealing with the department’s problems.
The low values that ensued on a day to day basis were unspeakable.
The benefits were within are within norm for a company this size, but decent health insurance is steep. The hourly pay is too low for the amount of work and does not meet the cost of living unless this is s second income.
Pros
Benefits were decent for the amount of pay
Cons
Everything else
Stressful and not stable
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WINovember 4, 2018
Sales for this company were incredibly cutthroat for the salary they offered. It was an alright entry level job but once you had a year of experience you were better off leaving. If you missed your sales quota (which was un-realistic for this area it had the same requirements as large markets like chicago and Milwaukee) you were put on a plan or fired. Anyone can get a job here, they want bodies not trained sales rep. They dont have loyalty to the people but the numbers.
Pros
Some free meals, entry level training
Cons
Pay, hours, stress, advancement
Good place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAFebruary 4, 2019
UniFirst is a good place to work with many position advancements if you are willing to relocate and the benefits are good. It is a relaxed atmosphere to work in, but can be stressful when everyone needs you at the same time. I feel we have a good group of employees at this location. Overall would recommend working at UniFirst to anyone.
Frustrations Given Zero Attention
District Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Heights, OHOctober 26, 2018
Do you enjoy working 60+ hours a week for an unjustifiable salary?

Do you like to have your frustrations continually ignored?

Do you enjoy working for a Company that looks for reasons to get rid of quality employees?

Do you like to have your honest mistakes punished to unjust extremes?

If you said yes to 1 or more of the above this is the place for you !
Pros
1st class treatment when traveling to assist other locations
Cons
Poor culture, Management ignores frusterations, pay doesn't justify hours worked, certain Management has zero value to Company / employee goals
Not worth the stress
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 26, 2018
The office admin is very rude & cares only about herself & her money, She could care less about the people working there & thier lives outside of work. Many hard working good people left this company because of her & her attitude. If this company got rid of her it would be a better work enviorment & overall a better place to work.
Terrible company
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Whippany, NJOctober 19, 2018
Unifirst is managed poorly. The management team care nothing about employees. Commission employees do the job of hourly employees so they can get free work out of them. You have to sort the clothes,load and unload your truck while the hourly employees watch you. Its a sham,and if you get on the bad side of a manager,as a Route Sales Representative, they will cut your route and give it to someone they like.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company
I used to enjoy my job but corporate and management are starting to not care about there employees
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 5, 2018
This job worked for what I needed . Things have changed in the work place . No enjoyment anymore . No appreciation and the pay is low always worked side jobs to have a life.insurance was good now it's like the rest it's to high and doctors stink.
Pros
Can work 2 jobs if needed with the low hours
Cons
Low pay and hours.
Productive, fast paced, friendly coworkers
Lead Supervisor/Load Builder (Current Employee) –  Stratford, CTDecember 23, 2018
Great company to work for. Growth opportunities. Busy face paced environment. Learned to multitask as needed. Lots of friendly employees. Always willing to listen to ideas and suggestions. Management recognizes good work ethic. Finding ways to make the work day simple, easy, and consistent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UniFirst. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UniFirst.

Powered by Comparably