UniFirst

• Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Family culture

Featured review

UniFirst selected this as a representative review
Having worked multiple positions and worked at multiple locations during my 16 years with Unifirst, two terms that would describe this company would be family and processes. The systems are set in place and trying to do it your own way only complicates things. That's not to say your input isn't valued and applied though. When you work in Service or Sales what you put in is what you get back in terms of compensation. You can go along doing the minimum and be comfortably paid, or you can get out there and hustle for the big checks. The choice is yours. As far as the family atmosphere, that's what it is. There will always be members within a family that disagree with each other or do not get along. At the end of the day, if you are in need, this place will band together and take care of it's own! The proof is in the fact that we have generations of families working here. Would you tell your children to work somewhere awful? I know I would be proud if my sons ended up working here! The major con is working with multiple companies at multiple sites means things out of your control can have a big impact on your day.

Pros

Family Atmosphere, Monday-Friday 1st shift work weeks, benefits

Cons

Things out of your control have an effect on your day

March 6, 2020
Thank you so much for your continued dedication and commitment to UniFirst. Our Team Partners (also known as our UniFirst Family) are our most valuable asset, and we appreciate your hard work.

Sales

Lots of hard work and determination needed to get the job done. Must follow the sales process if you want to succeed. Potential to grow and develop as well as move up in the company.

Awesome Place To Work!

The management team is beyond helpful and very understanding when life hits you. They welcomed me with gifts and a trip to Top Golf. I felt part of the team since day 1. Everyone I have interacted with in service, HR, Management and virtually have all been BEYOND AMAZING!!!

Pros

Help guide you to your personal goals and the work life balance is unmatched.

Cons

You have to deal with clients under contract, but if you maintain the relationship, it WILL payoff. This is part of sales though.

When I started with Unifirst it was my first factory job management is amazing as long as you communicate they really care!

When I started with Unifirst 3 months ago I called it he**week. Every dept was behind and we were coming in on Sat. and we were working 12-14hr shifts till 3-4am! Coworkers and management really made the best out of it and I have enjoyed working for them so much! Management did say it would take a month to get caught up. Thanks to good teamwork with our managers and veteran employees and new employees we are caught up! Now we finish early. A typical day is learn how to do a couple basic jobs then become efficient It’s the same thing all the time but we get to listen to music and try to make it fun. I truly felt a family type dynamic and felt I had a healthy support system at work. A lot of people do come and go but so what that’s just the way the workforce is right now it’s a great local job with good benefits I do miss my overtime pay

Pros

Free lunch sometimes, good benefits, PTO and time and half for holidays, a supportive management, the work is simple, lots of opportunities for promotion if you show up and do what you’re supposed to.

Cons

I’d rather make what I was making working 65 hours a week

Commission pay

I had to work 39 schools mostly all rugs,hard work low commission pay, And they will send you out in a foot of ❄️ in a rear wheel drive truck so you can wreck/get stock and then fuss about it!

Pros

No weekends

Cons

Almost everything else

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

It's ok

Not bad just hard work. If you work hard you can get promoted if the right person notices. Inside workers have to deal with outside temperatures year round. Drivers can make money, but they can be out late.

Extremely stable company. Plenty of opportunities for advancement. Pay is not exactly competitive.

At Unifirst you can expect a stable job with a good quality of life. Each facility is kinda its own entity within the corporation so your experience will depend heavily on your GM and your department manager. This is a job that will pay your bills and give you a sense of purpose, if that is something you look for in a job. You will also learn many valuable skills both practical and interpersonal. If you want to have a large chunk of expendable income this is likely not the company for you.

Pros

Good Quality of life, High level of learning, Respect given by all, Very safe environment, Understanding and reasonable management

Cons

Hard to see big changes due to corporate bureaucracy, Sometimes poor communication between departments, Not competitive pay

Solid company. Upper management cares for their employees and truly wants to create and maintain a great workplace.

Great company. Constantly challenged every day which creates a very satisfying feeling after a hard days work. Lots of help and support from all levels of the company.

Great company, ability to make more money and nice people.

I currently run a route and see the same customers week after week. I get to know my customers and have the ability to sell additional products and make more money. I don't need to have a side hustle. I just hustle at work and make more. Culture is solid. Very nice people overall.

Pros

Can make more money through selling, 401K is very nice. They helped me enroll and showed me how much I can make over my career.

Stay away! no room for advancement! no real training, manager lack the tool to train, and do their work.

Stay away!! if you enjoy working weekend, then go. if you enjoy having no life, work most holidays, accrue vacation at the pace of snail, your manager don't really care about your professional growth.

January 13, 2022
Thank you for submitting your review. We appreciate your feedback.

Solid Entry Sales Job

If you are fresh out of high school or college this is a great opportunity to learn the service sales business. The more you put in the more you can earn

Pros

Good Compensation, Work on the Road

Cons

Tough to sell their products

Large corporation in transition from operating like a small company.

Large corporation in transition from operating like a small company. Needs to update and have competitive salaries. Expectations are high, training poor.

Pros

Good base pay

Cons

Many

January 3, 2022
Hi there. Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

Don't work uere

Very bad place to work. Post I vertime that is "mandatory" with no warning and expect you to stay. No life balance. Expected to cover other shift when they don't show up. Stay away!

December 29, 2021
We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for submitting a review.

Decent base salary

They’ll promise you extra money for helping out other routes then never pay it out. When youre sick or on vacation they’ll say they’ll cover your route but when you return you have to break your back catching up your route. They say not to come in if you have covid symptoms but hassle you because of it. i.e. “can you suck it up and just get through your route because we cant cover you” etc. They will also use your vacation days to cover your sick days and not tell you about it so when you try to take vacation you wont have the days.

Pros

work on your own

Cons

back breaking work, false incentives, management will harass you for being sick

"C'mon! Work, work, work!" - Managers catchphrase

You are expected to work hard and fast. Orders are growing and employees are leaving so the rest need to pick up the slack. Your kid is sick? tough luck you still need to come in. You're in the ER? Ok but as long as you make it to your shift with a doctors note or else. Don't expect big raises. You'll be lucky to get 5 cents every few years. Had a coworker who retired and was told they were going to pay her PTO (over 100 hours) and it never happened

Pros

Most of the coworkers are great to work with

Cons

Management is no help, safety is not a priority, any complaints will be ignored, no response and walk away type of ignored

Thank you for submitting a review. Your feedback is appreciated.

They need to do better in the company.

I wonder why the turnover rate is so high they give you minimal training and expect you to know it all. It’s a gossip fest and they are inconsiderate to there employees. The front office is a mad house

Pros

It’s Monday-Friday, payday weekly

Cons

Pay sucks, training skills awful, bad office environment

Bad environment

Bad environment to work , nobody cares it’s just work work and more work and you will get fired if GM doesn’t like you ! They make up a reason to fire you

Pros

Paycheck

Cons

Manangement

Wack

No sense of direction, no leadership and untrustworthy. No training program and heavy favoritism. Not a team atmosphere by any means. Plant manager sucks

Pros

Pay

Cons

Job security

December 2, 2021

Family Culture and Values

I have worked for two locations at UniFirst, and there are a few things that remain constant. 1) Leadership that wants to see me succeed. 2) A family culture, and 3) A team environment.

December 1, 2021

I t is a very dangerous job when you have to unload the trucks with no forklift. You have to unload the heavy cages by hand and people fall and almost get run over. Some got hit but not run over. It’s cold in the winter with the garage doors open and super hot in the summer and we are expected to bust ourselves . And management doesn’t care at all!!!

food related gatherings.

I had experience in this field working for Cintas Corp. The culture at Unifirst was far more family-oriented with less corporate game playing. advancement was available if you applied yourself. Sales and service departments worked well together to achieve mutual success. Service management switched frequntly which created both diversity and confusion. I found that to be true at Cintas as well. The pay is great if you work at growing your business as well as friendly competitions that resulted in money or gifts. Overall I would highly recommend this company to anyone wanting a career.

Pros

Stable career, great pay, good work out. Uniform provided.

Cons

Holiday's are hectic, have to plan well in advance for time off.

December 1, 2021
Hi there, thank you so much for your dedication and commitment to UniFirst! Our Team Partners (also known as our UniFirst Family) are our most valuable asset, and we appreciate your hard work.

Common questions about UniFirst

Answered by current and former employees at UniFirst

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UniFirst. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.2Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare UniFirst with

• UniFirst
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?