Union Bank
Happiness rating is 59 out of 100

Union Bank Employee Reviews

United States128 reviews

Loved my time there

Loved working there. Manager was great. Work life balance was decent. No weekends. Very relaxed environment. Loved all the customers. Would probably still be there if I hadn’t moved.

Great work place!

Amazing people to work with, very nice and supportive management. Just wish the technology was more current. Need to use multiple systems to just for completing one task.

Union Bank insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Good work life balance. Scope for growth for people who are self-motivated and self-driven. Good work culture and lots of support. Lots of new technologies are being introduced.

The Former Supervisor was fund to work with. No favorites. Everything changed with the new m

The supervisor has favorites and these are only people they think of for promotion.Never had a chance to attend in person training since 2000.Newbies were not given new roles. Everything was given to the veteran workers.Lack of Management training and experience.No regard and respect to those who worked longer.

Productive fun environment

My immediate boss and “most” colleagues at the time were great to work with and that’s why I enjoyed UB. At the time when I worked there bank was open mon-sat, 845-545, Fridays til 630ish and Saturday 845-130. Upper management did not care much about work/personal life balance. Hard to request time off. Since pandemic they only open mon-fri at least they have weekends off to spend with family.

No support

Upper management does not care about their team. They do not care about customers or the service they receive due to lack of locations and staff. The systems are antique at best, they want you to force customers to do everything online that can't even be done online. They do not know or care how to serve their client base.

It was quite good for the first 20+ years but...

I had a great boss, She would always stand up for her employees. I had worked at the down town offices and all the departments worked together. After we moved to the La Jolla the scene changed drastically. The moral was low and lots of petty infighting between departments. The food there also was bad, the only options were to bring your own or eat at a limited overpriced cafe, there was no place you could even drive to. I was happy when I got downsized. I did have a great boss, and I enjoyed the work though.

Pros

the benefits were nice

Cons

Office politics

Great place to work in with a great culture.

Love their career development program. I grew from an operations clerk to becoming a private banker/relationship manager. Great culture environment and diversity is huge in the company.

Ok place to work

Union bank has old systems in place. Conservative bank. Japanese ownership. A lot of work and no overtime paid.Benefits standard to other banks.Currently going through a merge with US Bank.Management demand a lot of the employees.

MPSC was a great place to work, with a beautiful cafe with a park like setting and a gym onsite. Sorry to see it go.

Worked with a great team, after 13 + years, our team was more like family. Company offers a great list of benefits. Working with Union Bank will be greatly missed.

Made to feel part of the team from day 1. Opportunity for advancement/learning provided.

Work can be stressful but management did best they could to assist throughout the day. Most everyone had a positive attitude and enjoyed working there.

Great place to work for.

Great place to work for. Pay and benefit average. Usually no laid off so its secure to stay here if you focus. Tough place for invention and self move. Lower management is so good. However overall condition is averge. Work life balance is good but team work is not that much.

Pros

Yearly Binus

Cons

Breaks are depends on you.

Good Place to work

MUFG Union Bank is an American full-service bank with 398 branches in California, Washington and Oregon which is wholly owned by MUFG Bank Good Place to work

Work life balance but compensation and career advancement is an issue.

MUFG Union Bank provides you work life balance but compensation/career advancement is an issue. There is no clarity in managements vision as there are executive coming and leaving within 12-14 months of their tenure.Yearly goal setting is a joke as they will set the same goal for analyst/AVP/VP with no clarity at all.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Compensation, career advancement

Long hours due to outdated technology

The Japanese parent MUFG must of not invested a dime into technology until recently. All the financial systems and data warehouse are out of date. An upgrade project was started but it was too little to late. Now USbank has offered Japan the Golden solution of buying out Union bank and will be dumping all the systems lol. Long hours, including working weekends and holidays. 401k match is only paid out once a year 😂 and raises are non existent. Japan basically milked this bank for all its worth.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Terrible 401k match that’s only paid out once a year. Pension is now wiped due to usbank purchase.

I would sum up this place as this; a sweat shop with bad management

Pay is good, but benefits are not good. There's no comp time for any overtime work and there are lots of overtime asked work without comp days as salaried worker. Benefits are mediocre at best with higher than normal out of pocket for medical, and lower than average 401K matching than competitors with 1 year maturity for company matching. Though they touted pension when hired, now that they've been acquired by U.S. Bank, they will announce the normal sphiel of better 401K matching and if you're a new hire before maturity.. oh well...

Pros

I guess decent pay and ability to work remote due to COVID

Cons

Long hours with no comp time, vacation day lost if you don't take due to shortage of staff

You need to understand the culture and not think you can change it

Overall, I had a lot of fun working there. I understood the features of the culture I had to accept and govern my work accordingly. I attempted to do things differently and more efficiently to get my job done and sometimes I was permitted to do so. Other times I was not and it was somewhat frustrating but I accepted it and did things their way without any pushback. My stress was lower as a result and I still got things done. It just took longer. Other workers found it very painful to do things inefficiently and they pushed back. Big mistake. Ended badly. Key to success is understand the culture and use your creativity where they allow it and back off when they do not allow you to do that. Enjoy the times you can be creative and smile when you cannot. Better to be amused than to be frustrated.

Pros

Really great people on my team and all levels of involvement

Cons

Just need to understand the culture and everything becomes ok

Good place to work with many great people

My time working for Unionbank was rewarding and I worked with so many smart people. I had the pleasure of working on the core transformation project and found a lot of purpose in doing that work. My director was amazing as well.

Pros

Pay and benefits and people

Cons

Not a whole lot of training opportunities, work/life balance can be a struggle

Micro manage

Get rid of the regional manager in the San Jose area. Thinks of self. Typical Wells Fargo employee... micro managed leads in all different directions has no ideal how to treat people.

Pros

Zero

Cons

To many

Considerate, intelligent, strategic leaders who care

Despite being a more junior employee with UB, I have a decent amount of experience from a number of employers to make a fair comparison. I have worked for several large, multinational companies and easily rank Union Bank (MUFG) at the top of my list across the board. Pay is above average, benefits are excellent, tangential perks such as mentorships and paid training are readily available. The most energizing element for me though is the care and dedication of senior leadership. Those steering the ship truly care about doing the right thing by both employees and customers. While the tech and processes are outdated, the commitment to the mission (being the most trusted financial services firm) is held up by each employee.

Don’t work here

Honestly it seems like at first they treat you right then they start treating you awful they target people. They lie about you, or try to accuse you of stupid stuff. This company had honestly been the worst company I’ve ever worked for. I’ve never felt so disappointed and upset about my working managers and supervisors.

Pros

Option to be off Saturday and Sunday

Cons

Bad management, bad intentions, extra short breaks and lunches, no help don’t get paid fairly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Bank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Union Bank with

• Union Bank
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?