Union Bank

Union Bank Employee Reviews for Vice President

Found 44 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,293 reviews

Union Bank insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Good place to work with many great people

My time working for Unionbank was rewarding and I worked with so many smart people. I had the pleasure of working on the core transformation project and found a lot of purpose in doing that work. My director was amazing as well.

Pros

Pay and benefits and people

Cons

Not a whole lot of training opportunities, work/life balance can be a struggle

Okay place

Okay place. Not much room for growth. Compensation is fair. Managers are hired and have no technical knowledge of the work their team does nor do they have leadership skills. Makes things very frustrating.

Tough Environment

Highly political environment with friction between being a retail bank and versus a global investment bank. Lackluster leadership and deep distrust amongst ranks. Good people held back, while senior management lacks proper accountability. Always appears rosy at the top without much desire to do what is necessary to innovate and change. Lack of willingness to give the ball to those that can drive change straight through an organization. Management likes a one sized fits all approach.

Nice people, good team attitude, the loctions gret for all the east coat people that do not want tot travel to NYC. Plenty of opportunities to onatin multiple trainings and certifications and expansion on different functions are great resume builders. Managemet encourages folks to learn and do different things and opportunities exist for eveyone ot learn multiple functions

Interesting; however, challenging work place.

The challenge is that the bank is an integration of two (2) distinct organizations: (a) Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi-UFJ (NY), a wholesale bank and (b) Union Bank (CA), a retail organization. Each organization has a completely different business model, customer base, organizational objectives, risks and controls, etc. Despite the above, management (from CA and NY) have worked diligently to harmonize the organizations, with the goals of a "single" culture, seamless operations, etc.

Challenging Due to market Conditions

Responsible for total management of a branch office and meet bank strategic objectives and ensure adherence to Bank policy and procedures. Very challenging due to company downsizing and increased goals.

Experience

The hiring process is the most difficult part from both inside and outside the org. There is nothing left to add that hasn't already been mentioned before.

Sucks

Dont work here. This place sucks, going through restructuring, firing everybody. Seriously it really sucks, stay away go go far away like seriously run.

Large institution that allows you to make impact globally

MUFG Union Bank is the US subsidiary of MUFG Bank, the largest financial institution in Japan. The entity faces a number of structural challenges that require highly intelligent, dedicated and motivated staff to overcome. The company values your input and allows for you to provide solutions in meaningful manner. Some of the changes can and will become global standard for this institution. If you are looking for a large institution with ability for you to make meaningful changes, this is it. The flip side of this equation is that unless you become the go-to person for solutions, you will toil in obscurity under below average pay for a financial institution or New York region for that matter.

Pros

Ability to enact meaningful change

Cons

Below average compensation and benefits

ok

Run away. So many silos and lack of communication. The good people have left the company and or have had their jobs eliminated. All that said, the pay was decent.

A former community bank experiencing growing pains, impacting the employees and the communities where they live and work.

I took tremendous pride in my team's significant contributions to the wellbeing of our customers and our capacity to create a positive impact in community outreach.

Pros

History of being a company invested in their customers and employees.

Cons

Leadership lost sight of what the bank stands for from a human resources perspective.

Incredibly stressful, no management or leadership support, Draconian communication styles

Title pretty much says it all. In my department only white males are promoted. The store is run by a couple of used car salesmen who bark orders and don't listen. We've been through 5 changes in leadership since I started. The Procurement operation has become so confused and complicated that the entire outsourcing process is circling the drain. A sad, toxic, dangerous and hostile place to work.

Pros

Paycheck

Cons

No possible positive outcome.

No Thanks

Unfortunately the bank has changed a lot. I was a lifer. It was a great bank for the employees. They cared about the managers and their ethics. Once they changed Senior management in 2007 who they came over from 2 failed organizations that were not known for treating their employees well, nor their clients. As soon as they started, they changed job titles so they could bring in their own people without any regard to longtime loyal employees. Made up ridiculous management positions and new sales programs so their friends from the other company could have a great job and pay.. They have no customer or employee advocacy and basically ran the managers 24-7 into the ground. Daily and Weekly Conference Calls, and Public Shaming if you did not make your sales goals,. Would never work there again. Even if my salary was doubled.

Pros

Cons

No Work Life Balance, even though they say they want you to

Poor Culture

Another Bay Area company trying to adopt foreign business culture/business practices, possibly due to being owned by a foreign corporation. Vice Presidents and Senior Vice Presidents sitting in cubicles, having to either whisper about confidential matters or use a conferencing booth shared throughout the floor. Meetings monitored by non-participating observers planted throughout the company by the overseas parent due to a lack of trust in US management. More bureaucracy than the federal government frequently leading to very stupid decision making. And, many of us had to work hard to find things to do to justify our existence. Overall, a poor attempt at blending many competing cultures.

Pros

Pay was competitive

Cons

The work environment is awful

Manager National Corporate Banking Group

My position at Union Bank of California was as the Manager of the National Corporate Banking Group which was responsible for corporate banking outside of California. I managed four VP level Relationship Managers and a $2.7 billion corporate lending portfolio. I managed client acquisition efforts, lending activity and credit write ups. I left this position for the job an investment banking job at Mizuho Securities which at the time I considered to have much greater potential and better alignment with my skill set as an investment banker.

Pros

Managing a team of relationship managers.

Cons

None to speak of

Amazing experience

I was given so much opportunity to grow as a banker. In my 23 years this was by far the most growth I have received. Support from my management team was amazing.

Pros

Growth opportunity

Cons

Work life balance is missing

The culture is very different. the groups work in silo. It is very process oriented and require a of paperwork. It is difficult for working mothers to balancelife.

Conservative, growth - minded bank

Union Bank is breaking out of it's local bank status with the desire to expand out of California and out of portfolio lending to expend it's footprint into other states, the newest being Illinois, and into other lending areas such as FHA, VA, correspondent lending and purchasing mortgage servicing rights in an effort to compete with the larger banks.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Management turnover

Poor Senior Management but awesome Parent Company!

Bank of Tokyo and Mitsubishi is an excellent bank, but sadly, the senior management of the Americas need to be replaced. They are from Countrywide, Washington Mutual and other bank which failed, Their decisions in the recent past have allowed many good employees to seek for positions elsewhere.

Pros

Party funds, healthcare benefits

Cons

Inflexibility in branches, not a safe and secure branch enviornment with 2 people in the branch all day, poor communication

Great Company

MUFG is a great company to work for, the people are nice, great work environment, opportunities to learn and challenge yourself. Despite of recent changes in the organization structures, it is worth working here.

My favorite place to work

Union Bank afforded me the opportunity to grow in my career. I enjoyed every singe day I went to work. The people I worked with were the greatest. My job included overseeing the day to day operations of the SBA Dept, employee appraisals, acquisitions and mergers and resolving client issues .

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

The SBA Dept was moved to a location that was to far for me to drive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Bank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Union Bank.
Powered byComparably

Compare Union Bank with

Career recommendations for Vice President

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Union Bank
  • Vice President
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?