Union College Employee Reviews

Worked as student
CIRCULATION DESK LIBRARIAN/ SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2018
Worked as student and for a student job it was ok. No benefits, minimum wage. Typical stuff for student work. Work culture was supportive and the opportunity was good.
Still Learning the Ropes
Head Men's Rugby Coach (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 29, 2019
So far it has been great but I am still learning the ropes and there is a lot of red tape but administration has been more than willing to help me navigate said tape.
Pros
Great Pay, students are smart
Good place to work and Good benefits
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NY 12308December 19, 2018
Positive experience working for the college. Felt was making a difference in the providing of a clean learning and living environment for students...
negative environment
Lead Cook/Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 18, 2018
I loved working at Union College until the inexperienced food service company came in. They had little knowledge of food safety, or perhaps just didn't follow food safety standards. They also mistreat long time employees resulting in a mass exodus of the higher paid kitchen staff. It is a popular belief the trustees approved this unsavory tactic. The college is definitely putting the bottom line above food quality, safety, and loyalty to the food service workers, and any other support staff. They run the college like a business, which is fine if you are administration or faculty. The staff gets good benefits because they give staff the same benefits as the professors, but the benefits are getting worse and worse and more expensive.
Pros
nice 401k, 4 months off per year
Cons
4 months off per year with no pay, Being treated like an inferior by a majority of the administration, Poor treatment by inexperienced food service company.
Its a good school
Student (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 13, 2018
I got into many liberal arts schools but I chose Union because I felt more at home here than anywhere else. I would strongly recommend that anyone interested in a liberal arts education should consider Union.
fun place
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KYDecember 18, 2018
Worked there as a student in work study and was treated fairly and given every opportunity to work around class schedule and my out of school schedule.
dencent place to work
Student Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 25, 2018
Union College was a good place but the culture is a little too conservative for me. I did enjoy some of the work but for the most part is a closed culture.
Fantastic undergraduate program
Vice President of the Class of 2019 (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 10, 2018
Passionate professors, challenging work, what more can you ask for? I was able to conduct ethnographic research in Silicon Valley, sociology research in New Orleans, and have been dedicated to technological research at Union.
Lack of Diversity
Specialist for HR Benefits & Web Development (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 15, 2018
Lack of Diversity in higher level positions. No ability to move up to a higher position in my field. Expected to work long hours at home or to get an extremely large level of work load finished in a short amount of time. No real direct supervision. Difficulty working with non diverse office.
Very educational place to work especially with my experience in culinary
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 17, 2018
I liked working there and learned a lot. Just would have been a better experience if coworkers didn't try to supervise or delegate outside their department.
Productive work place
cook / house keeping (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 11, 2013
There was always something to do no idle time which was good made the time go by faster. I learned team work. Management was always there for you needed help on or off the job.My co-workers were the best we all worked as a team we helped each other out if we needed it.The hardest part for was when we were sthrt handed and had to do extra work. Which ment you had to rush to get it done.Which ment oyu could not do quality work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with.
benefits
Cons
shortbreaks
An engaging and valuable learning experience
Physical Plant Housekeeper Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barbourville, KY 40906April 28, 2018
As a student worker, I appreciated the opportunity to work at the college as I got discounts on my housing and I received a stipend.
Provided me with the opportunity to make new contacts.
Pros
Discounted Housing
Cons
Not paid enough
Execellent
Admissions assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 8, 2018
Working on campus was the best choice I could make. It gave me the opportunity to work and focus on my studies. It also gave me that chance to make new friends and network with them.
It was a satisfying temp job!
Peer Leadership Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 16, 2018
Great job for students looking to have on campus employment! Employer was willing to work with my class schedule and was easily contacted if i had questions at any time.
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 7, 2018
Great time working for the college as well as being a student. Professors are really open and warm to students. I was working as a "work-study" so there wasn't any available opportunity for me to move ahead within the position.
Student/temporary position
Student-Dean of Women (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 15, 2018
This was a temporary position while I was a student. I did advance from being a Resident Assistant to Student dean after 1 year. I had a great working relationship with the senior deans and still stay in touch with them. I graduated and left the college.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Low pay
Good Place, bad pay
CAMPUS SAFETY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 5, 2018
not compensated nearly enough to keep employees for an exteneded period of time. Due to the low compensation rates there is a high turn-over with employees.
ok place
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 16, 2018
good benefits, but pay was low for all that you do. checking buildings and walking around. Dealing with students and drinking and some drugs. some days are easy and some are all out fast paced
Union College provides great benefits in a family oriented atmosphere.
Business Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYJune 14, 2012
A typical day is to receipt any tuition or transcript fee that we might receive and basically just whatever might happen across my desk depending on the need of the student whether it be communicated through the telephone, email or an office visit. Students needs range from making copies to sending faxes, reviewing/explaining their student accounts, or assisting them with their insurance claims.

When not helping a student, I do filing and make collection calls on past due accounts.

I'd definitely say the hardest part of my day is making those collection calls. It's always enjoyable to make a call and have it end with a long over due payment, but those calls are few.
Pros
benefits, paid 2-week christmas break and free tuition
Cons
collections
Supportive environment
Management (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 25, 2018
Depending on the day, but usually work 9-10 hrs. per day. Team environment. Consistently looking for improvements to support both employees and consumers.