Union Pacific
2.9

Union Pacific Employee Reviews

United States1,899 reviews
Found 1,899 reviews matching the search
local people are a great
having to adjust constantly to changes from higher up management is a chore for everyone, and reacting to poor business decisions no matter how professionally or quickly has recently shown seldom results in preventing lay offs or furloughs
Very unethical high level management
Union Pacific as a whole is a very unethical company and cares very little for its agreement employess. Board member bonus and share holders divid ends are all the matter the rest is all lip service.
Pros
Decent amount of time off
Cons
Getting cut off and or bumped whenever U wants to save a buck
A job
This is the first job I have worked at since 1965, when I started my first full time job as a meat cutter, that I had to buy job insurance. Though I only worked for UP for 5 years, it's the only job where they hire you just to try and fire you.
Union Pacific
While historically they struggled while I was in a certain position I believe the company is always evolving and striving for growth and improvements. Downfall has been shareholders hold more value than employees at times.
Horrible company to work for
The company does not care about you or your family. They will not hesitate to lay hundreds of people off to increase their bottom line by .001% if it will appease the shareholders.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Absolute joke of a company
The company will ruin your life and then fire you.

No work life balance. If you enjoy your life and family do now work here.

The pay is not worth the time commitment. It will ruin your life and health. Then they will lay you off.

Terrible environment for veterans. STAY AWAY!
Great Team Atmosphere
Great company and culture. I enjoyed everyone that I worked with. It is a great team atmosphere willing to look at new ways of doing things.
The company is downsizing despite having some of its most profitable years. The downsizing is creating more work, with less compensation.
Ok
They don’t care about you. You are replaceable. Not really home much but if you can deal with that you will do ok. Management don’t really care for you just looking for excuses to get you in trouble
Fun Job
Honestly its a good job with decent pay. The biggest problem is the management in Omaha. Hardest part is having a job to fall back to when you get furloughed multiple times.
company going through change
Company laying off due to tough economic times but continues to post record profits. Your simply a number not a valued employee. Local facility is ran by Corporate not by local supervisors and managers.
Love being a railroader!
Love my job! There is no schedule or family life for at least the first 3 years. Furlough is a real threat during the first 5 years as well. It takes a real want to thrive on the rails.
Great place to grow within the company, different works schedules, different work positions and all of training is always in the field of each different work position.
good paying job but you have to have senority
this company cares more about share holders than their employees , I enjoy working for union pacific and give this company my all but It can't protect the hardworking employees I've worked here for 7 years no incidents no attendance problems moved to engineer . but it don't mean nothing when they want to cut jobs, yards , boards and downsize on crews using the covid-19 as an excuse . all those billions they bragg about im just trying to earn a living and now can't cause I wasted 7 years
No advancement/greed
I've worked here for 6 years. I have a business management degree and I've applied for over 320 management jobs but sadly only got 1 interview. It's not what you know its who you know.
Very poorly managed company. Customers and workforce employees are not valued. Money magazine rated Union Pacific as the #1 worst company in America t
Workforce employees are treated terrible. The management work harder at trying to look for the bad in employees rather than encouragement and positive reinforcement. This us company driven from the top down. This is first hand as i have heard executives tell their managers to find the negative in people. "It keeps them more focused" if they are on a "level" of discipline. Many customers havebeen driven away buy the new corporate strategy. Wouldnot recommend this vompany to anyone as far as employment.
Great Company
Great salary and benefits. Trustworthy and smart senior leadership. Employment in the company offers opportunity to work in various departments, advancement in rank and salary, and travel within and outside US.
Company only cares about their shareholders
Do not work for this company we have people that have been part time employees for over 5 years we have people who have been there over 15 years and cannot yet get a weekend off this is not an employee friendly company I'm only there because I have invested 27 years I cannot for to start over somewhere.
Good workplace with easy going people.
I am on call 24/7 with the exception of a 10 hour rest break right after work. I get called in the day or night and have 2 hours to get to the workplace after my call.
I take trains to different cities and stay away from home on average 24 hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the challenge of figuring out how to build trains in an efficient manner.
Job Security
Great workplace, job security isn't strong based on seniority positions can be bumped by higher ups in company. Pay is well work isn't complex. Schedule is tedious.
High promises low realty
They promise pay, security and a great company to work for, but instead you get trained and sent out to be laid off almost instantly. Then they promise work is coming and get you back to work then lay you off again.
All around biggest waste of my time and talent.
decent company but may get laid off
not a bad company. learned a lot but due to lay offs, had to find another career. I was hoping to retire from there but not their plans for us. I would work for them again if I was more stable financially
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight