Union Pacific Employee Reviews

Great Pay Horrible Hours
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  Dalhart, TXDecember 11, 2018
Long hours great pay but no way of making plans being on call 24/. The lack of training is scary being, not even a good solid 6 weeks OJT and your lucky if you get the trains that you learn proper handling from.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
No Work Life Balance
Worst company I've ever worked for
Conductor (Current Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 11, 2018
If you like working for liars and thieves, this is the place for you! The company is constantly breaking union contracts and could care less about you and your family. Their ideal worker is someone who has no life and preferably a deceased family. They refuse to pay claims and cheat you out of money. Probably the lowest paying class 1 railroad. The last people they care about is their employees. In turn the employees hate the company. If it wasn't for the pay, benefits, and retirement, they wouldn't have any employees. Most employees would love to watch the place burn to the ground. Being a conductor is great, it's the company that makes it miserable.
pays well ,managed poorly
Carman (Current Employee) –  North Platte, NEDecember 11, 2018
UP pays well but with this new program to increase stockholder income it is hurting the workers. there are no spare trucks when they brake down. the infrastructure is in terrible shape and there is very little done to fix or improve roads, buildings or facilities except for the office staff and upper management. Layoffs are coming. less payroll means more profit even it means sacrificing quality inspections and air tests. UP will often step over a dollar to pick up a dime and yet they still make billions yearly. UP is manager and executive heavy. They seldom consult the work force on how to improve the processes. There are tons of rules and many managers eager to write you up for missteps.
Pros
Pay and co workers
Cons
management and executives
N/a
Marketing & Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 10, 2018
Great company, with opportunity, going through a bit of a challenging time currently. Managment is not connected enough with employees and are driven by CEO/board directives.
No advancement opportunities for women
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 10, 2018
This is a good old boy network. As long as you are a yes person who never questions anything anyone higher than you suggests you will be fine I’m this company. But don’t look for mentorships, acknowledgement, value, succession planning here. You will find criticism, disconnected leadership, silo’ed departments and no communication along with frequent layoffs (three massive rounds in three months and once a year outside of that) terrible data and IT systems and a miserable unhappy workforce. People are willing to leave their pensions to find greener pastures here.
Benefits
Cons
Read above
Company is all about itself
Foreman/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 9, 2018
From the Shareholders to the CEO the company could care less about the individual worker. They want record profits and nothing else. I know of no other company that makes record profits in the BILLIONS of dollars per quarter, and then decides to lay of thousands of its employees.
Cons
layoffs
Pay and Benifits really worth it?
Mechanical (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 6, 2018
Management is tasked to attempt to write up employees. Always worried about loosing your job. They dont care whatsoever about their employees. Layoff majority of their workforce right before the holidays. But, they do have great benifits and retirement if you get to stay there long enough to utilize it.
The Company is ran on pure greed by the top tier management.
Pros
good benifits
Not what it used to be.
Manager II (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 6, 2018
UP as a company is not what it once was not what it was 10 years ago. Leadership has been replaced with management and that management is based on replicating what is currently being done. The onus is no longer on the employees and customers but now on Wall St. The culture, what was once the pride of the company, has now shifted and is toxic to put it mildly. The work itself can be rewarding but one must have thick skin and be able to handle years of being relegated to the middle of the pack.
Hard days, terrible management
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 5, 2018
I was fired from union pacific for "lying" on an incident report after getting struck by a train, they are all about safety until they are in the wrong. Its a very well paid job, the hours are hard and you can never plan a day unless you take it off.
Stessful
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 5, 2018
It can be stressful but overall it is a great company to work for. Being a locomotive enineer is something that I love to do and will hopefully continue.
Poor leadership and culture
Real Estate (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 3, 2018
Leadership lacks innovation, initiative, and execution.
Culture and morale have continued to decrease for the past two years which has created a stressful and unproductive work environment.
Solid job to get, if you can keep it.
Diesel Mechanic / Machinist (Former Employee) –  West Colton, CANovember 29, 2018
Very good job with great pay and benefits. Some people have a problem with three shift systems and Unions. If that's you, then this job ain't for you. The only downfall I had was that the upper CEO management changed directions a month after I was hired and laid a bunch of people off as part of a re-structor. S*** happens. I'd go back to work for them if it was offered and I was looking.
Safety first workplace
Fireman/Oiler in the Mechanical Department (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 29, 2018
Working with the locomotives was a great learning experience and very enjoyable. The regular schedule in the mechanic shop is definitely a plus. Working swing or overnight may be difficult if you have a family, but great benefits otherwise.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYNovember 28, 2018
Great place to work.Highly recommend, and if you can wait out the time once you get fur-load it would be a great place to retire from. however I accepted another job with the state of Wyoming and moved on, other wise I would have stayed.
day at the railroad
Conductor and remote control engineer (Current Employee) –  Altoona, WINovember 28, 2018
it all starts with a phone call. No what time of the day you have three hours to report to location of train. Then take train from point A to point B and deliver cargo. This could take 12 to 20 hours. Then go to hotel and in 10 hours it all begins again just in opposite direction taking u back home.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits
Terrible Job
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  IowaNovember 28, 2018
They will ruin your life. You will never know when to sleep or eat or have fun with friends or family.
Everyone you know will stop calling you to do stuff because you never can.
Managers only look to fire you. Don’t cross them or you will lose.
Life is too short to not spend it with the ones you love.
Good money but you can’t enjoy anything you buy home or vehicles.
Bottom line not worth it.
Cons
Stay away, not a real career.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 28, 2018
The absolute worst company I have ever worked for. Learn from my mistake and stay away from railroad jobs especially Union Pacific. It will be a waist of your time.
Good if you are single
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 27, 2018
Seniority based. Hard if you are married with kids. Never know when you will work. Sometimes forced to location you have never been to before. No weekends off until you have about 10 years of service.
This company is not a career it’s a life style
System Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Central and western USNovember 27, 2018
Good company they just are uncertain of the direction that they are headed
They have no regard for the impact of their employees
In the option of serveral manement this company is reactive not a proactive atmosphere
The company senior staff is very private and should keep manaeagement team up to date on direction the company is headed
Need to be a company that is for the employees and keep the employees ingaged to better the future and profitability
Poor Culture
Diesel Electrician (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORNovember 26, 2018
I've been putting off my review because I didn't know where to begin. It's been over a year since I left and I still get upset when I think deeply about my time with UP.

Well first off I have to say the culture was terrible. Nobody seemed to care about anything, much less completing the minimum assigned tasks. When work was performed it would be only what was explicitly assigned. Nobody owned their work or took pride in what they did.

The unions and management have a terrible relationship. I often felt like I was caught in between 2 divorced parents when dealing with the two, and in the end I resented both of them for it.

When I would insist on doing my job correctly and tried to favor long term solutions over short term fixes management would likely be upset, or indifferent at a minimum. For example: One of my coworkers at my current job quit working at UP after only a few weeks after getting into an argument with a foreman where the foreman was upset the he had done his job correctly and in accordance with federal, and company standards.

For a time I helped install PTC equipment on locomotives. This was a task the company grudgingly completed and it showed. After failing to meet deadline after deadline the company would complain to congress about how difficult it was and how hard they were trying. This got them yet another extension. The company then turned around and laid-off over 50% of the installers.

My problem wasn't with the work. I actually enjoyed what I did, but every day felt like an ethical compromise.

The company simply doesn't care about
  more... job performance or customer satisfaction. Shortly after they rolled out their arrogant G55+0 plans a few of us began crafting our own GTFO90+0 plans and made sure we weren't stuck on the last chopper out of Saigon. I have no regrets.  less
Pros
Low Expectations, Interesting Work
Cons
Layoffs, Poor Management, Poor Union, Bad Culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.9Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight