Union Pacific

• Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Good for single people

Never home but pays good.You will get laid off for long periods of time. Yout will not have a set schedule, because of the way the work hours are set up.

Pros

pay

Cons

never home

Pay is ok

Pay is ok. But you at the mercy of seniority.The more seniority you have the bette shift, you'll have. Kind off hard to have a social life. But if you can manage it'll work.If you ha e mechanical background you'll be ok, training is minimal.

Scared to death!

Every manager works every shift trying to find a reason to fire everyone for no reason. The stress of working for this company is not worth it and they don’t even pay that well.

Benefits

Benefits and pay are great, but horrible hours if you have low seniority. The company doesn’t value their employees, for their hard work nor the sacrifices you have to make to basically live at work

Pathetic company

This company only cares about themselves. It is a very profitable company but the people doing all the work are not rewarded very well. They want only to get rid of employees and let electronics and satellites move they’re trains. Which they have incorporated and has more flaws than any human. They have doubled the size of trains to lessen the work force whom they have cut in half and have no respect for. This company says they are all about safety but the truth is they just want the cars moved and don’t want to pay anyone to do it. And I for 1 who have worked here for many years feel as if I am paid peanuts for my performance. The union is weak and the company does not stand up and withhold agreements. The management is even worse. They get year end bonuses on crews production and the crews get a coffee cup. All they are is in the way and a waist of money. I am paid to do 1 job but constantly have to do other people’s jobs and never get paid for it. I thought I would never look for another job after hiring on here but now I can’t wait to leave.

Pros

No pros. This place sucks

Cons

This is the worst place to work in the entire country.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Nothing if you enjoy your family and life.

Union Pacfic is worse Railroad to work for of the class 1 Railroads. Their Management gets paid bonuses to fire and stalk good hard working employees. Would like every Union Pacfic customer to realize that.

Pros

Good employee with great Railroad experience.

Cons

Thirsty Management

Completely Toxic

There’s good reason UPRR ranks at the bottom of places to work year in and year out. Their work culture is toxic from top to bottom. Avoid at all costs!

Pros

Pay

Cons

Literally everything else.

The bad is you work outside in all types of weather. The good you are compensated very well for your work.

Over all Union Pacific has been a really good company to work for. The pay is excellent and the work is really not hard once you learn your craft. Also you probably won’t find better health insurance or Tier 1 and Tier 2 retirement . Sometimes our work can be very strenuous as it is with any job but if I’m gonna work hard I’d rather be getting gainful income.

Pros

Good pay, healthcare insurance, and retirement.

Cons

Seniority based work, and usually takes a while to become stable.

Toxic attitudes and a unsafe work environment

If you like working really bad shifts. Managers that can’t figure out how to run a yard and treat you like dirt then this is the job for you! The pay is ok , but they take so much out that it isn’t worth it. I value quality of life any day over working at UP.

Pros

Cons

Short breaks and bad management

Soul Draining

They like to characterize the job as a lifestyle, not a job, and that's basically what it becomes. Most alienate their friends and families, divorce rate is extremely high. You miss so many holidays they lose meaning altogether. The pay is good, which will be a nice bonus for your future ex wife. Medical and Dental benefits are cut every contract, pay raises barely keep up with inflation. They advertise for cities but in reality you have to protect every terminal in your seniority district with no hotel or per diem. Once you've given up everything you currently value for this company, they'll furlough you if they think it will save them 2 cents and unemployment through the RRB pays squat. Expect to be furloughed multiple times per year your first 10 years. If you make it 20+ years you might be able to hold a "good job" though you're still on call, still working nights and holidays with the only people you now know-other Rails. Other than that it's great

Pros

Retirement

Cons

No work/life balance.

Jobs at Union Pacific

See more jobs

This is not a place you want to work

This is not a place you want to work. Run! You’re a number the shifts are horrible the money is nothing like it used to be layoffs will happen every winter.

Pros

Ok pay after many years of service.

Cons

Shift work all weekend almost entirely all mights unless you’ve been there 20+ years

I hate it here

They literally treat you like a child and the pay sucks and the raise is on 50 cents every year which is no money what so ever I literally wasted 2 years at this place

Pros

Cons

Only get one break for a 12 hr shift

They furlough a lot

The job it's self is very easy, and the pay is great. Decent benefits. But the culture is very toxic. No one likes the Job mostly because of managers and the amount of time you spend away from home.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No breaks, 12 to 16 hours just sitting on a train in the middle of no where waiting on a van.

No values or ethics

Company and managers treat employees poorly. I'm encouraged or required to be dishonest at work. Pay and benefits are what keep employees working here.. Unions have ruined America, gone are the days where the most qualified or best work ethic get u ahead. Poor Company to work for. Pay is great if u can stomach the horrible work environs and poor Company values.

Pros

Wages and benefits

Cons

Treat employees horrible

Good and bad about the company

If you have a job and it's secure I'd stay with it. They won't think twice if it slows down they will lay you off. Some times for over a year or two. Call you back for a month lay you off again. If you enjoy being thier to watch your kids play sports and off the weekends to spen time with your family and friends this job isn't for you. You sacrifice alot of your family and your time trying to keep the railroad from not firing you for calling in. I see the company going more computer then anything else. I don't see anyone hiring out now holding a job in the next 20 years as a conductor or engineer. Something to think about if your looking for a company to grow with. Now for the good. Health insurance is ok, pay is ok for the area, and the Co workers I work with. Now add up all the cons vs negative as choice for yourself.

Pros

Good pay, insurance

Cons

Lots of time without your family and kids

No appreciation for employees. Laying off and cutting jobs consistently.

Do not recommend working for UPRR. Great pay but quality of life is unacceptable. Don’t get injured or they will disqualify you and send you home with no pay.

Great People-Greedy Company Only Cares About Shareholders

I like what I do and the people I work with. However, if you like working every holiday, every weekend, phone calls non-stop while you are trying to get your rest, going to work tired with no sleep (due to the non-stop phone calls)…then a job as a conductor IS the job for you! They have cut so many employees under Precision Railroading that we are spending way more time away from home than with our families.

Pros

Good money if you want to work a lot. Decent healthcare benefits

Cons

Just a phone number to UP. Pay is stagnant. Benefits get worse each contract.

Overall amazing company with exceptional pay!!!

This job really is a blessing for many the pay is too good to be true, you can make 10 to 11k a month its mind blowing.There’s really nothing bad to say cause it’s basically what you make it.Its easy work onced trained properly

Pros

Best pay

Cons

Lay offs

Work for the benefits

The railroad has lost it's position as a "top job". Pay is no longer worth the stress of being on call. You are more likely to be sitting in a hotel out of town longer than you're in your own home. The company chooses what agreements it wants to follow. But, we all seem to stay!

Pros

pay checks never bounce, the people

Cons

management, crew management systems, hours

Unorganized and didn't really know what to do with an intern.

They were super unorganized, they didn't have an assignment for me until a month after I started. The co-workers that were supposed to teach me how to do tasks never did, they kept trying to hand me off to another co-worker. A couple of co-workers genuinely tried to help me but they weren't the ones that I was supposed to shadow and learn from.

Pros

Big desk

Dont work here

Don't work here it's as simple as that. No sense of stability. Management is a bunch of college kids that don't know anything. And they take advantage of hard working individuals and over work the.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8

Women's ratings

4.1Fairygodboss Score

70%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

76%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Union Pacific with

• Union Pacific
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?