Union Square Hospitality Group Employee Reviews

Great
Hospitality Apprentice (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2018
The work environment is incredible. The team works great as a whole and coordination between FOH and BOH is effortless. The management is caring and understanding as well.
Fun place
Host/Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2018
Excellent! Place to work and I highly recommend them, I learned so much about hospitality through them. The C.E.O of the company is really good down to earth person and makes everyone feel comfortable.
Pros
Free lunch, Discounts, etc.
Cons
More hrs.
Don’t waste yo time
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  New yAugust 8, 2018
Warehouse are a bunch of cutthroat chumps who will step over you and leave you taking grenades to get ahead. I loved my time there until they brought a manager from receiving down to the warehouse. The dude couldn’t even unload a truck right and he just made my job miserable .
Pros
Free food
Productive Environment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2018
I want to work in a safe place where it is busy and I can't meet new people and become a better individual.and help my social skills.I feel this is theright place
Teamwork is reak but you will live here
Pastry Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2018
Its a great place to work if you're a cook, they make a lot of different types of food which is nice, but they will really work you. I mean I never left on time at this place, no one seemed to leave on time really. I'm all for over time but the amount of work expected out of 1 person was a bit too much for me. The teamwork here is incredible, everyone really works together but I feel as if there are too many people telling you to do certain things the way that works for them, because then a manager will come and tell you not to do it that way, but then someone else will say dont listen to the manager. That was the only annoying thing really. But if you work here expect to have no social life what so ever. They do offer medical dental and vision but I feel 300 bucks a month for 1 person is expensive. Plus the location was a real pain to get to by public transportation
Pros
Free lunch, team work, make good food
Cons
No social life, stay longer than expected, too many people telling you which way something should be done
Cult Mentality - Employees hate the culture but stay for the benefits
Server, Captain (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
USHG recently embarked upon a campaign to eliminate tipping in its restaurants and, they hope, New York City. They call it Hospitality Included, and it means they hike the prices 20%, keep it, and pay the servers and bussers a flat wage. Some restaurants participate in a day-to-day revenue share, some do not. When the system was implemented, tipped employees across the board said they saw a large decrease in their checks. The company had promised to make up the difference in employees' pay in the beginning, but did not do so. The company saw huge turnover in staff and management, and had to train new employees quickly and incompletely. There is a ton of micromanagement, and quite the Cult of Danny mentality within the restaurants. A company that thinks it's reinventing restaurants and hospitality is likely to ignore years and years of lessons from successful restaurants, and that's exactly what the audacity of USHG does.
Pros
Benefits, 401k, health insurance
Cons
Micromanagement, inexperienced leaders, servers don't make nearly what they do at other restaurants
The greatest fast casual burger joint on the planet!!!
Team Member/ Trainer/ Cross Trainer (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 11, 2018
From top to bottom Shake Shack was and still is the premier fast casual burger joint! The training is top notch and the management truly cares about you as a person and as a team member. Thank you for the wonderful work experience and training that I have used in my future endeavors!!!
Pros
Everything!!!
Cons
I can't think of any CONS!!!
Fun work enivironment
Venue Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 27, 2017
Working there was amazing meeting plenty of great people. Management was good after a certain point in your career no matter how hard you have learned they don't back up the employees when they like a higher up management
Pros
They have great teaching tools
Cons
Not supportive
Front of house
Server bartender reservationist (Former Employee) –  Union Square CafeDecember 6, 2017
I worked several positions in my 5 years at Union Square Cafe. I was able to start a family and continue to work several positions that accommodated my changing life style. Management was supportive and always encouraging. I learned more there about guest service and the importance of treating each other well. Highly recommended.
Pros
Flexibility
Team atmosphere
Assistant Controller (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2017
Great colleagues. Opportunity to learn. Challenging projects. Intense deadlines. You definitely work hard but with a group of inspiring group of colleagues.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
Under compensated

Want to know more about Union Square Hospitality Group?

Ask a question
Great Employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2017
Union Square Hospitality is the premier restaurant group in the country. Great place to work. Very high standards. This is the type of place you would be proud to work.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Long Hours
Betty Miller
Cashier, Shake Marker Front House (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 29, 2017
One of the best General Managers around. All year she showed us knew things and taught us the ropes of being a shake shaker employee. She was truly a good supervisor and friend.
Pros
Get to see the shows.
Cons
Short Breaks
Good people to work with
Senior Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2017
Amazing company but the best asset is their people. Good benefits, discounts, PTO plan and opportunity to advance your career depending in which area you work.
Nice place to work
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2016
The people are the best and you can learn alot if they choose to teach you. The company itself is great! They welcome your feedback on everything
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not much room for advancement in certain restaurants
Overall very positive experience
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  BloombergJanuary 19, 2016
I loved the culture of the company.But of course if you're working at a venue, that venue's culture tends to supersede that of USHG but they do make an effort.
Job Review
Concessions Manager (Former Employee) –  1500 S capitol Street S.E.August 10, 2015
My typical day on the job varies. On some days the games where ultra super duper excitement and the crowd goes wild. Other days, it could be a rain-out or slow game. What I learned from working there is the different interactions with many different people every single day. How to deal with different personalities on a day to day routine. The management above me was not as organize as I was. I was always one step ahead of them and they did not have a problem with me getting the job done. My co-workers where helpful when needed be. If I fell short on a project or setting up the stand they always had my back. The hardest part of the job was the keeping track of inventory. It wasn't that hard but it was rigorous to keep track of spoilage control, Back of the house spoils, chargeable counts, and maintain a steady workflow so the stand can run effectively. The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere. The way the crowd was so hype and the lines where long, people where hungry, waiting on delicious food and the employees making that dream come true every single day.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
disorganized staff
Best place to work
Porter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2015
Excellence people and excellent catering company in the whole NYC.
Experience produce more experiences in all the skills while learning and expanding, They do have full company benefits provides too
Pros
Free Break fast, Lunch, Dinner all provides
Cons
30 minutes breaks a day
Incredible culture and learning
Maitre d' (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2015
USHG is an amazing place to work and they provide immense learning and growth opportunities. This is the Harvard of hospitality!
The company needs more support and hands
ShakeShack Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2014
The biggest reason why I decided to leave was because I felt that there was a lack of training and support from upper management.
Great work place
HRIS Specialist Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2013
great work place and everyone was very nice. The people there were very helpful and were able to provide guidance and directions.