Union Square Hospitality Group

Union Square Hospitality Group Employee Reviews

United States42 reviews
USHG had been on my list of companies to work for for many years. I know when I graduated with my Bachelor's in Hospitality Management that I wanted to work for Union Square Hospitality Group. From my first day with the company to some of my last days, I experienced a work culture that not many get to experience.

USHG and my leadership team were always supportive of my decision to move to a different restaurant within the company, specifically to be a part of the opening team of Manhatta. In my time at Manhatta, I realized that I was very privileged to have been given that opportunity. The skills that I learned of high levels of organization, team leadership, communication between all departments of Manhatta, and adapting to new demands frequently made me who I am today.
Claim family values, but does not translate to DC work environment, unless your part of the chosen few. Good luck in DC. The hotel and location is nice.
I enjoy working at USHG. Being an Uber Supervisor is one of the best jobs I've ever had. A lot of different companies with a lot of good people at these locations. Management is lenient and understanding, that's always a plus.
Even though it is kind of hard work, it’s nice working with USE. One of the most important things to me is the respect for the people and I can tell this is one of the few companies when I felt that. Also they have a good rate very different than others. I started working on Catering for $16 hourly, but they pay so much better and treat you better. Actually I got a full time job but this company pay me better.
It is a growing company and I was part of their growing chain Shake shack , where I got trained to make burgers, shakes and hot dogs along with excellent customer service .
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Very easy work , easy shift, fast pace. I learned basically how the restaurant life is. How to pack bags accordingly and deliver to guest in under 10 minutes.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Managers want too much power
Great place to learn both foh positions and boh positions. Easy to learn and adapt and great place to meet new people and chefs alike. Great working enviroment
Toxic work culture. A fellow employee tried to kiss me and I was told that I was too friendly. One of the managers who told me so has since been promoted to General Manager of Union Square Cafe. In addition to that one of the District managers was promoted to such after helping cover up multiple harassment claims at one of their closed restaurants.
My job was at the MOMA, great atmosphere, prestigious restaurants.
the days are busy and the time goes quickly. Family meal is great for bonding and for breaking up the day. Managers taught me how to encourage and appreciate work well done which I used in my next job as a manager, often getting compliments from Senior Management as well as past co workers who come to visit. The hardest part was leaving the job, but it was absolutely necessary. The most enjoyable part was working with more than one food service location on the premises, the Sculpture Garden was my favorite! Also working on the family meal was fun and on the days I was needed for the late afternoon meal I got to meet many more people from the later shift.
Pros
Money to spend in other USHG locations
Cons
Occasional grumpy bosses not allowing conversations during prep time, no windows except during lunch
Loved this job . The commute was just too much. Management was sweet and always fair. They always tried to work with me if something came up. They were always willing to answer questions
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Union Square Hospitality Group?
I have worked for USHG for almost 7 years. They respect and uphold the values that they expect to see in their employees.

I feel like I found a company who understands how to motivate their team members to want to do their best.
USHG is about as good as service work ever gets. Most of the time the restaurant runs like a machine. But it's still service work, not everyone wants a career in that industry.
Pros
Family meal, good staff, benefits
Cons
It's Service Work
You are able to see and reach your full potential. You will go as far as you can if you have the ability to do so. Communication is a strong suit of the company when important news needs to be told.
Pros
Family meal, team members, open minded
Cons
Health care is really expensive
Took away tipping, pays you in peanuts (worked in a fine dining restaurant and made less than 35,000). Management is incompetent. They try to hire people straight out of culinary school and indoctrinate them into the Danny Meyer cult (they think they make good money, but don't know any better). If you are a good server or sommelier, work elsewhere. USHG doesn't deserve any talented front of house people.
Pros
Free lunch 401k, option of benefits.
Cons
Low pay, cult-like mentality, bad management
Great culture and great benefits however growth is difficult and compensation is below industry standards. I would recommend them to anyone looking to establish their career and learn how to operate a business successfully.
Pros
Great culture and continued education opportunities
Cons
Low pay and limited growth opportunities
This workplace has been my home the past 2 years. I am continuously inspired by their passion to the deliver and incredible hospitality experience from front to back of the house in their restaurant. Their teamwork spirit and organization has helped me improve all the skills not related to the hospitality industry. I am happy to be part of this company
I enjoyed working at bryamt park. The managers were very understanding as well as allowing us to grow and experience new things. Working at the cafe helped menrealized that i have the potential to bexome a leader just as the ones that led me.
Pros
Working together as a team
Cons
The bad customers.
Great people to work with, they truly foster the idea of team work and drive that atmosphere every day with enthusiasm. The managers really take their time to craft a great team and takes the time to teach them. They are always encouraging growth and aid in your professional growth by offering classes, seminars, etc. Overall, great company to work for.
The most hardest part of the job was working with employees who were always slacking but needed a break every three hours. The work was not hard but it can be strenuous standing for hours at a time.And poor organization. A typical day at work was fun for the most part of serving food and beverage to guests who always tip good.
Pros
Lunch from the concession stand
Cons
Seasonal
It was a pretty decent company to work for. The hours and pay weren't bad. The only issue that was a problem throughout the company was the amount of nepotism/ favoritism among managers who bring in their friends on board, As well as the fact that many managers are hired without actually having any experience in the job while others who are experienced are looked over.
Working for union squares shake shack was a nice opportunity for me. It allowed me to grow and interact with fellow employees more. Allowed teamwork to actually present itself amongst the staff.