Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) Employee Reviews

Good learning experience
Railcar Repairman (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 5, 2018
Good learning place to get familiar with railcar repair and railroad regulations alot of physical work constantly busy rarely worked long hrs. Management needs work on employee treatment. Overall great hourly wage. Great benefits
Pros
Usually off by 2:30
Cons
Management difficult to work with at times
Very dirty very hot
Welder (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INSeptember 21, 2018
Nasty environment no regulations dusty filthy hot underpaid. The smoke lingered in the facility they eventually left Indiana and moved to Texas as far as I know. The health insurance was awful. Very little was contributed to our retirement 401k
Pros
Cons
Filthy
Revolving door
Field Operation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 20, 2018
This is a really great company to work for. They offer GREAT insurance, Matching 401K, and great discount programs. It's a shame that the pay isn't enough to keep good employees from leaving.
Average place to work
Railcar Mechanic (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 27, 2018
Entry level job, average pay, good insurance and benefits were okay. Not much room for advancement or pay raises, management was average, team work was the best thing about the job, very dirty and hot work but fun if you like fast paced mechanical work and getting things done.
Railcar Technician (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARApril 2, 2018
Union tank car is a great company to work for. Great hours great benefits and insurance. Great management and supervisors . Great job culture and people.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Gets cold out there in the winter
Stressful and hazardous
Class B Welder (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LADecember 10, 2018
Job was decent place to work but had poor management and poor time management. Managers tend to overwork good employees and ignore lazy ones. And advancement seems to be based on buddy system rather than performance
Salaried position are short term at UTLX
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARSeptember 9, 2018
Corporate level management is absolutely terrible. Training is nonexistent, support is superficial and for the most part their attitudes are at best cold, at worst domineering and arrogant. Questions are more often than not answered with back handed comments to belittle. In two years working for this company there was roughly a 70% attrition rate for new supervisors and managers.
Pros
At the local facility level conditions were good for the most part.
Cons
Corporate managment is arrogant and untrustworthy.
Good opportunity to learn and for advancement. Starting salary is exceptional and overtime is available. Benefits are great.
Car Repairman 1 (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, TXJanuary 16, 2018
Great leadership and opportunity for advancement. Good pay and excellent benefits. Friendly work environment and opportunity for overtime. Safety training is professional and easily understood. Your safety concerns are put first.
Pros
Good leadership and friendly work environment .
Cons
None to speak of.
Absolutely zero to no structure
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 19, 2018
This company is by for the worst company I’ve ever worked for. There is no training and zero to no structure. The culture here is absolutely terrible. The pay is all over the place and is not based on experience. Management is not supportive at all of their employees. There is no concern for employees safely.
Pros
Cons
Pay, management, no training, no support
The company is trying to take away pay and benefits
Done most jobs (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAFebruary 14, 2018
Pays OK for around valdosta but hourly are held to higher standards than salary an there are clicks and you don't move up by working hard an its easy to get fired knew rules every day
Pros
Pay
Cons
Company trying to take away pay an benefits
Great Company
Tank Tester (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60604March 2, 2018
I enjoyed working for Union Tank it is a good company. I was laid off from my position here and I had to start over again trying to find another job. I was laid off because they closed some plant and company locations.
Benefits
Cons
closed plants
125 Year Old company using 40 year old technology and business practices
Desktop Engineer/LAN Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2017
The median age at UTC is about 38. Most people who work there have been there for over 20 years. They know only "The Tank Car Way" 98% of non-management (50%-60% of management) are just great, salt of the earth, grounded, understanding employees that definitely deserve more than they are receiving. Also, the health benefits are EXTREMELY generous compared to today's standards.

I wanted to write so much more but my job title is tied to this review so, I will wait until I am no longer employed there to illustrate more accurately my review of UTC.
Pros
The PEOPLE (Well, most of them) & the Health benefits, decent salaries
Cons
Aged out management only 6 sick days, NO work from home (except management & good ole boys club), poor work-life balance. No yearly bonuses for non-management
Unchallenged work assigments
N/A (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 20, 2018
This maybe a good company once it is automated. It is 2018 and there should not be so much filing hard copies, scanning, and sending through email. There should be better processes developed.
Pros
Cons
No advancement opportunities, horrible management, and to much paper
Management is the worst I've ever seen
Employee (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAJanuary 26, 2018
Management is the worst I've ever seen along with the lack of concern for the employees makes this a horrible place to work. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management, hours
Stressful but fun just at times.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Ville Platte, LANovember 12, 2017
Productive and stressful at times managment was awful but the company offered great benefits and the pay was great for the area. The hardest part was dealing with the weather the workplace culture was great you worked with different people everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things about repaired and completeing a job in a timely manner.
Pros
Paid holidays, vacation, etc.
Cons
Short breaks, work area was dirty
Good job, bad pay for the work
Repairman (Current Employee) –  WVJune 23, 2018
This job is a good job for someone who isn't looking for a high paying job; but can still afford the cost of living. The job consists of working in all weather conditions and you don't get paid enough for it.
Pros
relaxed work
Cons
pay
Great benefits
Welder (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, ARFebruary 17, 2018
It has been a great job with good pay and great benefits. It is very well managed and has lots of safety. Utlx is a great company to work for and allows you to grow.
Pros
Insurance
Great Place
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJuly 15, 2018
Pretty much a family like atmosphere especially on the night shift. My management was A-1 and very helpful. After working on the road for years this place was a breath of fresh air. Production style place which made the nights fly by. Would still be there if they actually had the work to not layoff majority of the night shift.
Pros
Great Pay and Great coworkers
Cons
Lack of work, Layoffs
Very productive
Car repair man 2 (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXFebruary 7, 2018
UTLX is an amazing company to work for, with good benefits.If my truck wouldn’t have got stole I would still be and UTLX employ.UTLX is a great place to learn.
about union tank
Werder/car repair (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PANovember 11, 2018
My job at union tank I am a welder there and I fix the railway cars too what they have on the work order for the car. my job includes a lot of hard work and being under the car doing welding or cutting work on the car.
Pros
they have good benefites
Cons
they need to get more of the bosses on the same page with each other.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Tank Car Company (UTLX). Our community is ready to answer.