Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) Employee Reviews

Great Place
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJuly 15, 2018
Pretty much a family like atmosphere especially on the night shift. My management was A-1 and very helpful. After working on the road for years this place was a breath of fresh air. Production style place which made the nights fly by. Would still be there if they actually had the work to not layoff majority of the night shift.
Pros
Great Pay and Great coworkers
Cons
Lack of work, Layoffs
Good job, bad pay for the work
Repairman (Current Employee) –  WVJune 23, 2018
This job is a good job for someone who isn't looking for a high paying job; but can still afford the cost of living. The job consists of working in all weather conditions and you don't get paid enough for it.
Pros
relaxed work
Cons
pay
Revolving door
Field Operation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 20, 2018
This is a really great company to work for. They offer GREAT insurance, Matching 401K, and great discount programs. It's a shame that the pay isn't enough to keep good employees from leaving.
Horrible work environment
Exterior Tank Car Sprayer /Blaster (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMay 29, 2018
Not recommend for older workers over 35.They push older workers out the door with dirty schemes.If management would take the time to talk to it's employees it might be a better work environment.
Pros
Pays good
Cons
Bad management
In town job that needs improvement
Car Repairman (Current Employee) –  Evanston, WYMay 23, 2018
Union Tank has the potential to be a great place to work. However, there are a few things that it back from that. Sometimes poor management, limited to no advancements, and employees being unheard. Union Tank carries a "It's my way, or the highway," type of mentality.
Utc
SHOP OPERATIONS CLERK (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, TXMay 1, 2018
I have been with UTC for several years now and despite this there are no career advancement opportunities. However, UTC is the best job opportunity in this area.
Pros
Cons
Too much work and not enough pay.
Unique
Painter (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHApril 24, 2018
This job, without a doubt. Is one of the friendliest workplaces in Marion. Everyone cares about each other, and everyone is dedicated to getting the job done perfectly. Also, the management there really cares about their guys, and you can tell that from day one.
Pros
- great enviroment
Cons
easy to lose job in firsy 180 days
great benefits and fun place to work
Assembler A (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAApril 21, 2018
I learned how to weld and other jobs there. Reading blueprints and tape measures are a must. Running an overhead crane helps the day goes by. Its a very fast paced job.
Pros
pay is pretty good
Cons
you may have to work under stafted
Railcar Technician (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARApril 2, 2018
Union tank car is a great company to work for. Great hours great benefits and insurance. Great management and supervisors . Great job culture and people.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Gets cold out there in the winter
Switchman (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYMarch 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time very much with UTLX. This is a great place to learn and your coworkers are always keeping it exciting. There was never a dull moment and always something to do. You have every opportunity available to advance with Union Tank it is just up to you. Moving around to different positions throughout the company is always an option. If you don't fit somewhere HR does a great job at helping you find where you can fit in. The Plant Manager is always available and is constantly making contact with even the lowest ranking individuals in the company.
Pros
Excellent Pay, a company that cares about employees, great work environment
Cons
Working with mostly males all day
Average place to work
Railcar Mechanic (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 27, 2018
Entry level job, average pay, good insurance and benefits were okay. Not much room for advancement or pay raises, management was average, team work was the best thing about the job, very dirty and hot work but fun if you like fast paced mechanical work and getting things done.
Bad experience
WELDER (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILMarch 19, 2018
Was hired for welding job and didnt even get a chance to weld at all.
Safety is definitely an issue there management does the bare minimum to fix discrepancies as far as safety.
Hardest part of the job, is working in the outside enviornment
Welder/Welder Inspector/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2018
I worked for UTLX for 6 years and put in my dues of hard work. I started of as a welder and advance to welding inspector and was aske to move up as a production supervisor. There is plenty of oportunity for advancement if you are willing to apply yourself.
Pros
Plenty of oportunity for growth
Cons
Management is as unethical as you can possibly get
Welder (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 9, 2018
Unless you're willing to spend countless hours kissing butt and bending over, there is no way to advance up the ladder. Hard to find tools to do your job. Management is some of the worst ever seen. Very cliquey, very unethical, more production driven than safety or quality. If you want a career here you must be willing to sell your soul.
Cons
Poor management, lack of tools, lack of integrity, poor cooperate management
Great Company
Tank Tester (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60604March 2, 2018
I enjoyed working for Union Tank it is a good company. I was laid off from my position here and I had to start over again trying to find another job. I was laid off because they closed some plant and company locations.
Benefits
Cons
closed plants
Great benefits
Welder (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, ARFebruary 17, 2018
It has been a great job with good pay and great benefits. It is very well managed and has lots of safety. Utlx is a great company to work for and allows you to grow.
Pros
Insurance
The company is trying to take away pay and benefits
Done most jobs (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAFebruary 14, 2018
Pays OK for around valdosta but hourly are held to higher standards than salary an there are clicks and you don't move up by working hard an its easy to get fired knew rules every day
Pros
Pay
Cons
Company trying to take away pay an benefits
Very productive
Car repair man 2 (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXFebruary 7, 2018
UTLX is an amazing company to work for, with good benefits.If my truck wouldn’t have got stole I would still be and UTLX employ.UTLX is a great place to learn.
Prone to lay offs
Welder B (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAFebruary 5, 2018
Overall I was satisfied with my employment but the downsides were we were rushed and work faster then we needed to causing the company to fill orders without replacement orders to keep employees working.
repair of trucks (wheels) under tank cars
Clyde Electrical & Mechanical Electrician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXFebruary 3, 2018
welding repairs on tank car trucks outside shrouding inside storage tanks arc gouging outside shrouding installation of tank car trucks insulation installments
Pros
Cons
short breaks lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Tank Car Company (UTLX). Our community is ready to answer.