Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) Employee Reviews

Very prejudice and discriminating
Welder/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Linden, NJApril 17, 2019
I wouldn't wast my time with this company trust me, if you decide to work here good luck you'll need it. horrible work ethics. gives you the run around , not honest very judgmental
Pros
discrimination
Cons
prejudice, judgmental
Not a fun work place plant Manager doesn’t know anything about the job but will rush you
Welder Helper (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAMuscatineApril 10, 2019
Managers are trash doesn’t no the job as well as the workers except one. No family life if u work second shift or third a lot of racial problems there
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
No life bad training Discrimination
Would not recommend unless something was done about management
Repairman 1 (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIApril 2, 2019
Overall UTLX is not a bad company to work for. Benefits we're good. Pay could of been better. The tools that are provided for the job can be very frustrating due to the fact there was lack of, broken, unorganized, or out dated. Management skills are very poor. Someone who has been there 20+ years and still has no idea what he is doing. Double standards from him. Only thing that he is good at is either talking, or covering things up. I would not recommend working here unless the management changes. If someone were to come in and know how to manage a company, then at that point UTLX would be a great place to work. I worked there almost 4 years. Another employee and I both left about the same time for this reason.
Benefits
Utlx
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2019
I very much enjoyed working for UTLX and it afforded me with a lot of friends and co-workers who were very helpful and understanding. I moved on to BP only because of an opportunity that I could take.
Great company, awful managment.
Coil and valve repairman (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHMarch 24, 2019
I worked for UTLX for almost three years and unfortunately had to leave do to poor management. Supervisors are ill trained on leadership and communication. Never was late and worked more than the average worker but was still treated terribly. Many, many great employees before me, and after were treated the same and left for the same reason. This company has lost out on awesome employees because of this issue.
Pros
Pay, paid holidays, benefits, workers
Cons
Leadership 1000%
Vey good place
CARMAN REPAIR (WELDER/FABRICATOR) (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHMarch 22, 2019
Very Professional, great pay, great insurance and a lot of overtime which is key for me. Welding everyday which is awesome its my passion. Always room for improvement and further your skills in the trad as well as advancement opportunities.
Poor management
Coil and valve specialist (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHMarch 12, 2019
No communication throughout the plant. Management doesn't know what is going on half the time. Extremely dirty and a unsafe work environment and poor set-up.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Management and poor working conditions
Good Company
Accts Payable Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2019
I am still learning about the company and my role. Thus far it seems like a good company. The work enviroment is very professional and positive. My teammate is helpful.
Great starter job to get foot in door to other opportunities
Carman (Current Employee) –  Carson, CA 90745January 8, 2019
Great work environment, great employees, and work is good. But for the equipment and products we work with, we are underpaid, and it’s a struggle considering the cost of living in Los Angeles
Pros
Great employees and managment
Cons
Pay
Stressful and hazardous
Class B Welder (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LADecember 10, 2018
Job was decent place to work but had poor management and poor time management. Managers tend to overwork good employees and ignore lazy ones. And advancement seems to be based on buddy system rather than performance
about union tank
Werder/car repair (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PANovember 11, 2018
My job at union tank I am a welder there and I fix the railway cars too what they have on the work order for the car. my job includes a lot of hard work and being under the car doing welding or cutting work on the car.
Pros
they have good benefites
Cons
they need to get more of the bosses on the same page with each other.
Good place to work if you dont mind getting dirty or working hard.
Railcar Repairman (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAOctober 26, 2018
The work is hard and dirty, but its fair paced and keeps you in shape. The managers can be negative at times, but its mostly relaxed. Overtime is pretty common.
Very dirty very hot
Welder (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INSeptember 21, 2018
Nasty environment no regulations dusty filthy hot underpaid. The smoke lingered in the facility they eventually left Indiana and moved to Texas as far as I know. The health insurance was awful. Very little was contributed to our retirement 401k
Pros
Cons
Filthy
Absolutely zero to no structure
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 19, 2018
This company is by for the worst company I’ve ever worked for. There is no training and zero to no structure. The culture here is absolutely terrible. The pay is all over the place and is not based on experience. Management is not supportive at all of their employees. There is no concern for employees safely.
Pros
Cons
Pay, management, no training, no support
Salaried position are short term at UTLX
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARSeptember 9, 2018
Corporate level management is absolutely terrible. Training is nonexistent, support is superficial and for the most part their attitudes are at best cold, at worst domineering and arrogant. Questions are more often than not answered with back handed comments to belittle. In two years working for this company there was roughly a 70% attrition rate for new supervisors and managers.
Pros
At the local facility level conditions were good for the most part.
Cons
Corporate managment is arrogant and untrustworthy.
Good learning experience
Railcar Repairman (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 5, 2018
Good learning place to get familiar with railcar repair and railroad regulations alot of physical work constantly busy rarely worked long hrs. Management needs work on employee treatment. Overall great hourly wage. Great benefits
Pros
Usually off by 2:30
Cons
Management difficult to work with at times
Unchallenged work assigments
N/A (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 20, 2018
This maybe a good company once it is automated. It is 2018 and there should not be so much filing hard copies, scanning, and sending through email. There should be better processes developed.
Pros
Cons
No advancement opportunities, horrible management, and to much paper
Great Place
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJuly 15, 2018
Pretty much a family like atmosphere especially on the night shift. My management was A-1 and very helpful. After working on the road for years this place was a breath of fresh air. Production style place which made the nights fly by. Would still be there if they actually had the work to not layoff majority of the night shift.
Pros
Great Pay and Great coworkers
Cons
Lack of work, Layoffs
Utlx
Carman 2 (Current Employee) –  Ville Platte, LAJune 25, 2018
This job is a place for workaholics. If you want a life and want to do multiple things in your life, I wouldn't recommend. It's a good paying job, easy work, but poor management.
Good job, bad pay for the work
Repairman (Current Employee) –  WVJune 23, 2018
This job is a good job for someone who isn't looking for a high paying job; but can still afford the cost of living. The job consists of working in all weather conditions and you don't get paid enough for it.
Pros
relaxed work
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Union Tank Car Company (UTLX). Our community is ready to answer.