United Airlines Employee Reviews

Found 2,232 reviews matching the search See all 2,407 reviews
I make it a great day
Senior Developer - IT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77002November 15, 2018
I tend to arrive to work early to beat the morning rush to plan out my day and complete and outstanding items that may need attention. After i'm settled in I'm ready continue with any task that come my way, planned or adhoc. I make make myself available to assist others and troubleshoot as needed. I keep my environment as stress free as possible. There is always a workable solution to any problem that arise. Time management is extremely important to me as that is a secrete to much of my success.
Pros
I love what i do and take pride in it.
Cons
All good things com to an end.
I loved working in United and travelling
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2018
United was a great and fun place to work. Excellent benefits and great travel experiences, Some days were tiring but had lots o fun. I had to quit as I had little children at home. Management was bad but getting better. Travelling is the most enjoyable. Hardest part is night flights.Workplace culture was good. A typical day is to check in and get you routs to fly into. I learned about many different places.
Pros
Travelling
Cons
Management was not so great
Fast paced work environment and relaxed
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 28, 2018
Normally relaxed for the first portion on arrival but employees have tendencies to find work and we always have fun with each other. When aircraft arrives we have to work efficiently and safely. Ensuring that all the luggage as too make it on and off each arrival and departure.The management is very relatable and they work along side the workers and they care for all the needs of each employee. The toughest part of the job is to work with an aircraft which the departure time is so slim and pulling a delay. Best part of my job is working with such great people who is fun and relatable.
Pros
Flight Benefits, and hour flexibility
Cons
Luggage weight, minimum wage pay
Loved working for United Airlines
PASSANGER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 27, 2018
I loved working for United airlines. My mangers and coworkers were lovely people. I loved interacting with the passengers and getting to know the regulars. Unfortunately working for an airlines most likely means you will be working under a contract employer, with that being said if they don't or can't renew the contract your job can be in jeopardy. That is what recently happened with United Airlines, we were under contract with DGS and UGE bought them and they only have a few employees that originally worked there and one manager for DGS. It's very sad but I loved working for them.
fast pace , all wether conditions
Move Team (Aircraft Tow and Brake) (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VANovember 28, 2018
typical:
clock in
daily safety briefings
get your assignments
get equipment do safety check
pre set up your work area
use computer to pull up information on inbound or outbound flight your working
performed assigned duties of the inbound or outbound flight
walk the plane in and or out
put away equipment or stage for next flight
clean up
clock out go home
Pros
benefits pay flying and corporate events
Cons
jelousy no direct supervision dangerous environment weather
Great training and management to help you
Airport Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 24, 2018
Training is ongoing and supporting each other is definite a plus! The working atmosphere has become more demanding dealing with the internal customers and a mixture of both United and Continental employees. The efforts to combine the work forces are still a challenge but working together to overcome the obstacle as a team effort!
Pros
Great customer service Skills and advantage
Cons
Effort of working together
Tradicionalismo Prejudica o Crescimento
Especialista de Sistemas de Treinamento (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2018
A empresa está em um setor ultra-regulado, mas ainda sim poderia demonstrar sinais de que pode revolucionar o mercado com estratégias diferentes de outras aérolinhas.
Pros
Benefícios Incomparáveis, Longevidade Garantida, Reconhecimento. de Marca
Cons
Os prós são exatamente o ferem a empresa, muitas pessoas que trabalham lá, permanecem por anos somente por causa dos benefícios.
Not for me
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2018
United was not a company for me, if you have kids it’s probably not for you either. I thought working for a such a huge company would be a great advantage but it was quite the opposite. First the training is HORRIBLE. The classroom training is taught by people who have not even worked in the airport in many years. Second the on the job training is even worse. Majority of the older employees will not be helpful and the newer employees don’t know enough to help you. The supervisors are rarely around to help except in complete disaster mode. The mandatory OT was brutal. Sometimes everyday and sometimes up to!4 hours after your shift. I am glad I left.
Pros
Free standby travel, work as many hours as you like, can get extra days off
Cons
Mandatory OT
Great place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 12, 2018
Excellent work place with free travel!
Don't be late you get fired off of points!
Don't take longer breaks then needed and don't be late to your post! They don't play about being late at all because the flights MUST GO OUT ON TIME
when it is bad weather be prepared to stay for overtime!!
Pros
Free travel, lots of ways to pick up hours, fast paced environment
Cons
Mandatory overtime, shift changes every 3 months, Can not be late at all!
I heard good things in other departments but CATERING is the most terrible work operation.
Transportation - Driver (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 22, 2018
United Airlines benefits are great, I would love to work in other departments but as far as catering goes, NO. There is no work/Life balance because the day trade system is old fashioned. I had to literally go looking for people with the same shift to cover my days. The shift bids take forever sometimes just once a year or not at all. The pay of a catering truck driver does not match all the work we provide and all the risks we take.
Pros
Flight Benefits and discouts
Cons
low pay rate. inconsistent scheduling bid system
Worst experience in my professional career
Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2018
More than 5 meetings in a day are never productive. Houston based office is one of the worst in time management and people who work here are expected to be in Chicago at least once a week to attend 1 meeting. Other than the looking good factor on the resume or for future employers, there is absolutely nothing that you can learn from the experience in United.
Cons
meeting, time management, work life balance
good company
Food Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2018
it's a good company if you're working for the main one and not the sister company like Chelsea foodservices. the airport jobs are the best when it comes to pay and time management. outside the airport is a different story. Chelsea food services doesn't have a union yet , so the company takes advantage of this by doing what they want to people by finding loopholes in their guidelines. from mandatory overtime, bonuses and even firing people for using their flying benefits (which are given to the employees for them to use when ever they choose). the firing was done with the excuse of "stealing from the company" even though employees are given these privileges. the airport united is good , but the kitchen owned united are full of foul practices, beware.
Pros
flying benefits
Cons
managment
Was fairly good until now...
Sr. Staff Accountant - Accounting Controls (Current Employee) –  HoustonDecember 2, 2018
I loved working at Continental Airlines. When they merged with United the Culture changed drastically for the worse. It had been improving until they decided to outsource most of the accounting functions to India. 21 years down the drain! Thanks United! They no longer invest in their employees. It's all about money!
Pros
travel
Cons
Management/Only concerned with the bottom line
Fabulous Work Environment
Senior Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2018
Productive and a fun workplace, I have grown with the company I have good support staff to work with. The management staff is supportive we given some type of recognition that is given on a monthly basis. The hardest part of my job is that it is a fast pace environment and some times you don't have enough time in a day to complete all of your daily task. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to work with fabulous people that become like family after a period of time. I plan on retiring from United in the near future.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
We do not have the opportunity to work any over time when needed.
Daily Operational Life
Airport Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 1, 2018
Highly effective and engaged management professional position emphasizing innovation and creativity in solving complex problems is part of the daily operation. As Management, you must allow yourself to be Energetic and Focused with success in developing and leading diverse teams to achieve outstanding results, to create a great Diverse Company.
Pros
Employee Travel
Cons
Manage Irregualar Operations
Great place to work. Down time was relaxing and training was adequate.
Ramp service agent (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLOctober 29, 2018
Highly recommend a place of employment.
The usual nature of the airline business(ie delays, mechanical issues)
You were compensated for time above and beyond your shift.
Pros
Aviation, being around airplanes, like minded people with a passion for the aviation Industry
Cons
Due to nature of business, sometimes diffilcult to plan home life.
Working at UA
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 27, 2018
Productive workplace, your given an opportunity to not only learn from different cultures in diversity meetings, but learning about your community by engaging in different volunteering opportunities.

You get to work with a lot of people with different skills and with a great history with United.
Pros
alot departments have flex time
Cons
flight travel is by seniority
Great company with good benefits
RAMP AGENT (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 23, 2018
I rather say everything about this company is an exceptional and environmental is wonderful a fun place to work. People are awesome and friendly and they're treat one another respectfully and always work together to get the job done while carrying safety at all times.Great benefits after probation and easy job to do if you know what to do like myself that I have more experience and skills that I was able to contribute for a short period of time.
I would definitely love to go back if they choose me or hire me back.
I re-apply and I am waiting on my application status.
Pros
sometime or only on holiday for those who are wiling to work.
Cons
Good amount of break and everyone like it.
Poor work environment and work culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2018
Working at United as an intern, I audited the quality of customer service at the gates. The employees didn't have any motivation to be helpful due to hard working conditions and poor compensation received. During my time working at United, customer service had been rated at 9/100.
Pros
Interesting Experience
Cons
Poor Compensation, Dull Work Environment, No Advancement
If you're in it for the pay then you're gonna be miserable
Lead Rse(Team leader)-Rse (Ramp Service Employee) (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 19, 2018
Before it was United I was working for Continental airlines it was a wonderful place to work the company cared about employees and vise versa after the merge it was a completely different place the company completely forgot they had workers with real life issues and all sense of humanity and respect went out the window everyone stopped caring because of the management and company attitude towards its workers it became an un pleasant place to be. There were times I couldn't wait to get to work but after the merger it was like why am I still here.
Pros
Pay, Flexablity
Cons
Management, Rules, Lack of recongition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at United Airlines.

Powered by Comparably