United Airlines Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,983 reviews matching the search See all 2,147 reviews
Great company and fun workplace environment
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2018
I flown to some amazing places and learn about a lot of different cultures. I made some great friends and learned so much over the years working for this company.
Pros
Free airline discounts on various things and travel
overall United Airlines it is a good place to work
Avionics lead (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 20, 2018
been an avionics lead the most enjoyable part of my day is the fact that I have a very reliable crew with a lot of experience in the avionics program, therefore, I always learn something from them.
the hardest part is when the aircraft is all done ready to be taken to the terminal for a revenue flight, it is at this time that upper management always tend to get a bit nervous, they are afraid something may go wrong at the last minute and flight may have to be cancelled because of maintenance.
Was a golden time.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2018
I worked for United when working for an airline was great. We focused on guest satisfaction and the airline was always looking for ways to improve.

The airline had quarterly, week long, training which was wonderful. They would have outside consultants to keep us up on technology and trends. We had training about the direction the industry and United were heading, skills for sales, skills for new technology the airline was using to give better service.

Benefits were the best with great medical, dental, vision, 401K and pension.

The airline got greedy and wanted to merge with US Air and killed their business model.

They started hemorrhaging money. CEO's bailed out with golden parachutes paying them huge benefits and salaries for life while everyone else took pay and benefit cuts.

Their culture has never recovered, nor has their service level.

I loved working for United until they started to outsource all the positions in an effort to contain costs. Service went away, and what do you have to sell when you don't provide excellent service.
Pros
Was a great company to work for.
Cons
They killed themselves through greed.
Best job ever
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Santo Domingo, PRJuly 19, 2018
Wa the best job ever had. I missed every day. Wvery day was an adventure, work with people and help them was my goal and i enjoyed every second of the 7 year working there. No regrets
Pros
Free air tkt
Fantastic place to work if you love to travel
Legal Department - Paralegal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILJuly 18, 2018
United Airlines, was my favorite job I've ever had. The departments i worked for were great, and the co-workers that I collaborated with on a daily basis, made my job that much more enjoyable. UAL was a fast paced facility, with many opportunities, if you were looking. I have seen how an airline is run, and its remarkable. I still to this day, are amazed how airplanes lift off the ground. It's fantastic.
Lots of work but no advancment
Core staff, Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 18, 2018
Always had fun at work because there was lots of work to do and you learn a lot. The only downside is there is not much room for advancement and the benefits are pretty low. It was a great starting job and I feel they prepared me for a future in IT
Pros
Awesome Job, Lots of Learning
Cons
No advancement, No benefits
Needs to work on employee relationships
N/A (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
United could be a great place to work, but the merger created an atmosphere where employees feared for their jobs on a daily basis. While the company has made great strides in improving this, they keep taking giant steps backward with things like doing away with the on-time bonus and things of that nature.
Pros
Travel benefits, great experience, fun downtown location
Cons
instability, lack of trust in management, bad employee morale
Terrible Management
Passenger Agent Service (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 17, 2018
G2 - is the company to works under UA and its the worst company that I have ever work for. We never had enough or the right amount of supplies need it to work. Management had their favorites, mostly black people and they will let you know you are not welcome!
Pros
Cons
everything
Great autonomy
Captain (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2018
Being an airline captain is a straight forward job. Beyond the normal office supervision to keep volumes of FAA paperwork in order, the job is quite simple:review the flight plan, fly the trip, go home.
Pros
With seniority many days off
Cons
Very long days
This is an excellent company to start out with if you want to make this you career
SERVICE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
This was an excellent company to work for. The potential of upward mobility was basically up to the employee. The work environment at times were very stressful but the compnay gave you the training and tools to work with

Want to know more about United Airlines?

Ask a question
Great place to learn terrible place to make a career
Senior Manager, Application Development (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2018
The most challenging problems will face you and train you like nowhere. However, don't stick too long to make a career. Business is cyclical and airlines are a bad place for longevity.
Fast Pace
Airport Sales Agent/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2018
All things the same but also changing. Basic routine of assisting passengers with travel, inbound and outbound. Fast pace environment. Learned how to maintain good customer service and problem resolutions.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Difficult schedules
Large Corporation
PROVISIONING ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 12, 2018
United Airlines is a extremely large corporation. The company provides most tangible benefits. Sometimes, policies and procedures get let lost due to large size of the company.
Pros
Tremendous Benefits
Cons
Company is sometimes too large
Work most the time
G2 SECURE STAFF CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 11, 2018
Cleaning the planes,
Guiding the planes in and out onto ramp
Moving luggage unto carousel
enjoyable part taxing the planes
not enjoyable?
We worked no concerns
few hazards if did not follow company rules
Pros
Very demanding
Cons
no personal life
Best job ever
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 10, 2018
Amazing job for a single guy like myself without children. If you don't like the 9-5 then this is the job for you. Absolutely amazing!! Amazing leadership and amazing coworkers.
Pros
Free flights and free meals
Cons
No set work schedule which I didnt mind at all
Material Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 10, 2018
Great working environment, love the travel benefits. Several places to relocate. Room to grow and many departments to choose from, great benefits and fair wages.
Pros
Great benefits
Fast paced enviorment
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 9, 2018
Stressful and fast paced. Seniority and the union is what allowed the majority of the employees to stay. Flying benefits are included, however there are several restrictions. mandatory overtime was expected during summer months and holidays
United was a Wonderful Place to Work. Appreciated the Opportunity
Corporate Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2018
Wonderful place to work. I retired from United in December 2016 due to wanting some time off after working for many years in the professional world After having some time off, I am wanting to return to part time work at the Houston airport in the role of assisting wheelchair patients as they fly in and out of Houston.
Exposure to multi-cultural passengers and co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2018
Airline business will definitely expose you to diversity
Travel options are vast both online with United, but also most every form of travel and accomodations
Pros
Reduced Travel Options
Cons
Short Breaks, No Holidays
Very Busy
Ramp Service Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJuly 9, 2018
If the leads or supervisors don't like you for whatever reason, then your day will be 10 times harder and longer than the other person. The pay in San Francisco Area sucks and they know it. I was told that I needed to try and figure it out because they were many others that were sleeping in their cars and at the job. "But it gets Better" this came from management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight