United Airlines

Found 578 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,854 reviews

United Airlines insights

Based on 1,444 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose

Enjoyed my time there

I really had a great few years there! I would have loved to have stayed on, but some hiccups with my FMLA seemed to be a problem. I have nothing bad to say about the company. It was tough adjusting at first, but the union went up and beyond as well! Nothing but good memories there. Very blessed to have spent my time there! Thank you United!

Pros

Flights everywhere

Cons

Long hours and delays

Benefits, the lifestyle (not a career, its a lifestyle)

I loved it and miss it every day. Would love to return. It takes getting used to if your not prepared or unaware of how much you'll be gone and miss important things with family and friends. Benefitsout way any cons, best benefits you can have compared to any other industry in this world. Intense training, be ready for it and study hard. People dont realize the actual role/job description and training flight attendants go through.

Pros

Benefits, adventures, the people, you feel like a family, having a union

Cons

Miss important events with family/friends, away often, the toll it takes on your body, a lot of studying, intense training

Great place to meet new and very interesting People.

Just a great job with good Friends and quite a few interesting customers, from different backgrounds. So a good way to educate yourself and enlarge your education about our World. The hardest part of this job is probably the lack of trust from your management, but I would not generalize this comment for every member of management... some are very supportive and others are just unappreciative of the good work we accomplish every day at work ! The most enjoyable part of this job, meeting tons of new people, traveling all over the World and the love of Aviation, which gave me the desire to become a private pilot and to achieve that dream !

strong support from the company

Whenever you have something you need to figure out. There are a group of people who are willing to help you, which makes life so much easier. Also, most coworkers i met at work are supportive.

Former Continental Airlines which was superior to what is now United, 28 years experience

Greet and attend to the needs of passengers, inflight safety, prepare and serve meals. Aircraft safety and training is consistent and is maintained. Management is lacking, inexperienced of the real time requirements and details of the everyday life and events of crew members; also generally not supportive of fellow employees. The general culture and excitement for being at work has declined. Decreased service and inconsistency of standards for passengers and crew. Most difficult part of the job is staying upbeat and positive in what at times is an unstable work environment, at times very long hours and exhaustion are extreme and lack of support and enthusiasm from management. Employee benefits, including pay increase with seniority, health insurance, flight benefits, 401k etc. have been consistent; crew and fellow employees can be fun and make or break the entire experience for working crew and passengers.

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, pay, travel, fellow flight crew support

Cons

Decline in service standards, instability of managment, lack of awareness keeping employees excited about being part of a team.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Life style change

You will have both alot of flexibility and alot of adherence to United at the same time. You will travel the country and the world and that is an education that you cannot duplicate any other way. YOU will make friends that you will have for a lifetime. It is a great career if you are a punctual, dependable person. Do not apply if you are not , you will not survive the probation period.

Pros

WORLD TRAVEL and great benefits

Cons

Exhaustion from hours and time zone changes

It's okay

The flying benefit is wonderful however it gets stressful over time when there are no seats available. Reserve life could be hard and the schedule is no longer flexible.

Excellent place for Flight Attendants

Great airline to start as a flight attendant and retire from. Headquarters and high management is great, it’s often the local management that is a pain and not as supportive as you would like or need. Pay is okay to start with, year 5+ is when the money gets great. Excellent benefits.

Pros

Benefits, Competitive Pay, Flexibility

Cons

Long work days, on-call

Job was fun, the company wasn’t

It was a good job, would have been better with a different company most likely. Only found one manager in my 5 years there that cared. You need to be able to tune out a lot of negative drama in the work place.

Pros

Travel and benefits

Cons

Company culture

United airlines

Flying for them is fun and exciting. The downside is it takes forever to get seniority and you’re on a reserve schedule for years and years with no flexibility and the company sees you as a number not a person.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at United Airlines?

As with any airline, seniority is key.

Working at an airline can be exciting. You get to be a part of peoples travels for what ever reason the reason (fun, life events, work, etc.) but it can also be an extremely stressful time for those people, and you get the brunt of it. The schedule is all based on seniority, as with any airline, which is great once you put in your time... but is ROUGH for new hires - the reason their is so much turn over in the first 5 years, but after that people stay forever. Benefits were good, especially the flight benefits.

Pros

Flight benefits, clear work expectations, profit sharing, insurance, union

Cons

Seniority based (rough at the beginning), gossip, repetitive

Treated as disposable

You are often told by management that you are disposable and if you quit there are 100+ people eager to take your place. This, along with low pay and low per diem, has lead to a "stick-it-to-the man" company culture where people steal everything that is not nailed down.Honestly, 90% of customers are fine, but it is that 10% that treat you like a servant and make you want to scream, those are the ones you remember.

Pros

Free Travel for you and your family

Cons

Customers and unpredictability

Fun and good people

Fun and great people to work with. Great layovers. Lots of bases to choose from. Overall a great company to work for. You can make your own hours and it’s a great job

Pros

Flight Benfits

Cons

Long hours delays

Fun place to work

Amazing travel opportunities, great co-workers, well-trained. It’s difficult to get the position, but a wonder one. Sometimes you work long hours, but the layovers make it worth it.

Pros

Flight benefits

Cons

On call schedules

Bad Morale

This company makes wrong decisions on the daily. The management is so out of touch with reality on the ground, they consistently do the wrong things. They "say" they want employee feedback, however, they do not. They will work you to death, try to screw you out of money any chance they can get. They waste money like crazy on big hoopla evets that mean nothing, but nickel and dime employees. They constantly change rules, you cannot keep up. Management is practically non existent when you need help, you are on your own. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to use your work benefits to fly somewhere, but now, they cut out flights, then pack planes so you are lucky if you ever get to use your flight benefits. I would tell anyone looking, go to SOUTHWEST AND ALASKA where they treat their employees very well.

Pros

Free flights when you can get one

Cons

long hard days with no compensation, short sleep, over work

No two days the same

Interesting job just not something I could turn into a lifelong career. Got to meet new people every day. Every day at work was an adventure. Didnt enjoy when you would have plans and your trip would fall apart causing you to be gone longer than expected.

Pros

Travel

Cons

Being away from home a lot, unpredictable work schedule

Best airline if you are LOD

Reserve is very hard but then it’s fun. Management is crazy. You must watch your back always, they can fire you for anything. Anything means anything

Great airline

Great airline to work for. Company is constantly advancing technologically. I hope that in the future there will be more fight for better contract negotiation on the flight attendant side. Crew scheduling doesn't seem to care much for the flight crew, it can be frustrating at times.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

pay could be better. Flight attendants deal with alot! Better contract negotiation

I stayed just short of 37 years. Working for an airline is more than just a job. It’s a way of life.

Working as a flight attendant prior to the pandemic was a very good experience. I left about 6 months after the pandemic started so I think there have been some changes. Everything revolves around seniority. The longer you stay, the better the schedule and routes you will hold. I flew international routes exclusively for about 25 years. During this time there were several mergers with other airlines and their employees. Because you spend so much time with your coworkers many of them become your close friends. It’s very common for flight attendants to stay at this company for many years. I enjoyed being a flight and working for United Airlines.

Pros

Flexible schedules, Ability to fly a full schedule or a partial schedule, sleep breaks on long flights, pension, 401k program, volunteer opportunities, community outreach, scholarships, free flight benefits, free employee parking

Cons

Junior employees don’t get the best schedules, all night flights, very common to work weekends and holidays, lots of walking and many hours on your feet. Heavy lifting

Fun place to work

While working you meet new people, make new connections and have a great family atmosphere. There’s great benefits, and once you have the ability to adjust your own schedule, you can pick up and drop trips to your peers.

If You're On Reserve....May God Be With You

I hate to say this but I was really looking forward to becoming a flight attendant, and don't get me wrong....this has been a fantastic experience. But being on reserve was the worst time of my life. Senior flight attendants will tell you "I did my time!" but that is extremely disrespectful, because their contract wasn't nearly as bad. If you join this company, please understand that the contract (at least the current contract we have now) was not made to benefit reserves and that will make life very difficult. Long days with minimal sleep, three leg red eye flights, covering multiple airports with no compensation for transportation. It's not easy! I'm not saying not to apply to this company, but I am saying there are other airlines with better reserve contracts. I'm a lineholder now but will definitely be voting in support of reserves for the rest of my career. I never want another Reserve to go through what I went through.

Pros

Travel the globe and get paid, 401k, and healthcare are decent

Cons

Management, reserve contract

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.6K
1.1K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare United Airlines with

Career recommendations for Flight Attendant

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • United Airlines