United Airlines

Found 277 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,857 reviews

United Airlines insights

Based on 1,449 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose

Action packed, full of adventures

this was such an amazing experience, you could go anywhere and see the world and get paid to do so. if you start young this option can be the greatest choice to make.

Pros

travel the world, good pay, good benefits

Cons

close working conditions, difficult customers

Benefits, the lifestyle (not a career, its a lifestyle)

I loved it and miss it every day. Would love to return. It takes getting used to if your not prepared or unaware of how much you'll be gone and miss important things with family and friends. Benefitsout way any cons, best benefits you can have compared to any other industry in this world. Intense training, be ready for it and study hard. People dont realize the actual role/job description and training flight attendants go through.

Pros

Benefits, adventures, the people, you feel like a family, having a union

Cons

Miss important events with family/friends, away often, the toll it takes on your body, a lot of studying, intense training

Former Continental Airlines which was superior to what is now United, 28 years experience

Greet and attend to the needs of passengers, inflight safety, prepare and serve meals. Aircraft safety and training is consistent and is maintained. Management is lacking, inexperienced of the real time requirements and details of the everyday life and events of crew members; also generally not supportive of fellow employees. The general culture and excitement for being at work has declined. Decreased service and inconsistency of standards for passengers and crew. Most difficult part of the job is staying upbeat and positive in what at times is an unstable work environment, at times very long hours and exhaustion are extreme and lack of support and enthusiasm from management. Employee benefits, including pay increase with seniority, health insurance, flight benefits, 401k etc. have been consistent; crew and fellow employees can be fun and make or break the entire experience for working crew and passengers.

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, pay, travel, fellow flight crew support

Cons

Decline in service standards, instability of managment, lack of awareness keeping employees excited about being part of a team.

Life style change

You will have both alot of flexibility and alot of adherence to United at the same time. You will travel the country and the world and that is an education that you cannot duplicate any other way. YOU will make friends that you will have for a lifetime. It is a great career if you are a punctual, dependable person. Do not apply if you are not , you will not survive the probation period.

Pros

WORLD TRAVEL and great benefits

Cons

Exhaustion from hours and time zone changes

Excellent place for Flight Attendants

Great airline to start as a flight attendant and retire from. Headquarters and high management is great, it’s often the local management that is a pain and not as supportive as you would like or need. Pay is okay to start with, year 5+ is when the money gets great. Excellent benefits.

Pros

Benefits, Competitive Pay, Flexibility

Cons

Long work days, on-call

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Job was fun, the company wasn’t

It was a good job, would have been better with a different company most likely. Only found one manager in my 5 years there that cared. You need to be able to tune out a lot of negative drama in the work place.

Pros

Travel and benefits

Cons

Company culture

As with any airline, seniority is key.

Working at an airline can be exciting. You get to be a part of peoples travels for what ever reason the reason (fun, life events, work, etc.) but it can also be an extremely stressful time for those people, and you get the brunt of it. The schedule is all based on seniority, as with any airline, which is great once you put in your time... but is ROUGH for new hires - the reason their is so much turn over in the first 5 years, but after that people stay forever. Benefits were good, especially the flight benefits.

Pros

Flight benefits, clear work expectations, profit sharing, insurance, union

Cons

Seniority based (rough at the beginning), gossip, repetitive

Fun and good people

Fun and great people to work with. Great layovers. Lots of bases to choose from. Overall a great company to work for. You can make your own hours and it’s a great job

Pros

Flight Benfits

Cons

Long hours delays

Fun place to work

Amazing travel opportunities, great co-workers, well-trained. It’s difficult to get the position, but a wonder one. Sometimes you work long hours, but the layovers make it worth it.

Pros

Flight benefits

Cons

On call schedules

Bad Morale

This company makes wrong decisions on the daily. The management is so out of touch with reality on the ground, they consistently do the wrong things. They "say" they want employee feedback, however, they do not. They will work you to death, try to screw you out of money any chance they can get. They waste money like crazy on big hoopla evets that mean nothing, but nickel and dime employees. They constantly change rules, you cannot keep up. Management is practically non existent when you need help, you are on your own. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to use your work benefits to fly somewhere, but now, they cut out flights, then pack planes so you are lucky if you ever get to use your flight benefits. I would tell anyone looking, go to SOUTHWEST AND ALASKA where they treat their employees very well.

Pros

Free flights when you can get one

Cons

long hard days with no compensation, short sleep, over work

I stayed just short of 37 years. Working for an airline is more than just a job. It’s a way of life.

Working as a flight attendant prior to the pandemic was a very good experience. I left about 6 months after the pandemic started so I think there have been some changes. Everything revolves around seniority. The longer you stay, the better the schedule and routes you will hold. I flew international routes exclusively for about 25 years. During this time there were several mergers with other airlines and their employees. Because you spend so much time with your coworkers many of them become your close friends. It’s very common for flight attendants to stay at this company for many years. I enjoyed being a flight and working for United Airlines.

Pros

Flexible schedules, Ability to fly a full schedule or a partial schedule, sleep breaks on long flights, pension, 401k program, volunteer opportunities, community outreach, scholarships, free flight benefits, free employee parking

Cons

Junior employees don’t get the best schedules, all night flights, very common to work weekends and holidays, lots of walking and many hours on your feet. Heavy lifting

Fun place to work

While working you meet new people, make new connections and have a great family atmosphere. There’s great benefits, and once you have the ability to adjust your own schedule, you can pick up and drop trips to your peers.

If You're On Reserve....May God Be With You

I hate to say this but I was really looking forward to becoming a flight attendant, and don't get me wrong....this has been a fantastic experience. But being on reserve was the worst time of my life. Senior flight attendants will tell you "I did my time!" but that is extremely disrespectful, because their contract wasn't nearly as bad. If you join this company, please understand that the contract (at least the current contract we have now) was not made to benefit reserves and that will make life very difficult. Long days with minimal sleep, three leg red eye flights, covering multiple airports with no compensation for transportation. It's not easy! I'm not saying not to apply to this company, but I am saying there are other airlines with better reserve contracts. I'm a lineholder now but will definitely be voting in support of reserves for the rest of my career. I never want another Reserve to go through what I went through.

Pros

Travel the globe and get paid, 401k, and healthcare are decent

Cons

Management, reserve contract

no support from management

Don't age at this company. They will find any reason to terminate you....even make up reasons to terminate senior people. Company will interrogate you if a passenger writes you up and doesn't stand behind their employees.Excellent benefits.

Pros

excellent benefits

Cons

management treats employees horrible

Flight attendant

It's an amazing job. But it is all about seniority. If you stay long enough you will an amazing fulfilling life experience. It starts out hard by being on call but eventually you will have more control over your schedule.

Pros

Free travel, great benefits

Cons

Long hours, waiting to gain seniority

The best airline to work for

I’ve been a flight attendant at United for 3 years and have loved every moment of it. The work schedule is flexible, the compensation is great, the destinations are fun and the sense of family and teamwork amongst inflight and ground/ airport personnel is amazing. I can’t imagine working anywhere else!

Pros

Benefits, Bases, Free Travel, Compensation

It’s a lifestyle

My parents were flight attendants when then met and now I follow in their footsteps. The flexibility to work more hours and take time off is incredible. Being unionized is incredible. The fast friendships you make with fun, likeminded souls in every corner of the world due to our expansive route network are incredible. The leadership that guided us through the pandemic and poised us to be ahead of our competitors is nothing short of amazing.

Pros

Flexible schedule, exciting travel, fun coworkers

Cons

Long hours, no routine, fatigue, low pay to start

Flexibility in Schedule

United is a great company to work for. The benefits are great, work life balance is great. Although hours can be long someday it's never the same which is refreshing.

I love my job

I love the perks of flying for free, and flying all over the world for work. The schedule can be be tiring and take a toll on you. You will have frustrated customers because travel is stressful.

Pros

Fly for free

Cons

Away from home a lot

Love the flexibility, benefits, and routes United fly

I love working at United. People are professional and friendly. Great benefits and great company to work for. Management is hit or miss. Some really cares and some don't.

Flexible work schedule. Interesting and exciting work environment.

My 20 years with this company have been the most exciting times of my working career.It’s an exciting adventure every time the door closes and the plane takes off. The schedules are flexible with the ability to trade trips and days too with other employees. The compensation is flexible as one can usually work as much or as little as needed. It’s a seniority based system so you really feel accomplished when able to work certain destinations.Our coworkers are considered family.Our supervisors are always available to help. Our major hubs have medical clinics for convenience to all employees.All employees work to provide comfort and service to all passengers. All employees work together to make the traveling experience as seamless and pleasant as possible.

Pros

Travel all over the world.

Cons

Lack of sleep