United American Security Employee Reviews

Unprofessional management
Licensed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 29, 2019
This company is very unprofessional and it's not managed correctly at all, they put employees life in danger while they dont care. The post they provide isn't safe for employees to work and if you have a incident. They leave it up to you to take care of and they give you a set date for mandatory training without knowing if your able to attend the training, they let you go if you can't attend the training. They don't inform the employee they are fired, they just fire the employee without notice and stop calling the employee all together. I didn't find out they fired me until I called this morning, this company need to be closed and management need to learn how to run a business. The human resources staff members are unprofessional too and have attitudes if they think your having a attitude specially when you don't. My salary per hour was provided to me as $12.75 hour, then $12.50 hour, then $11.00 hour and then $10.50 hour. When I was hired the hiring manager promised me $12.75 per hour and didn't tell me it would change per post until he changed my post to another post, I didn't agree to the pay. This is poor pay an the lowest pay compared to 10 years of security experience and POST Certified Law Enforcement Officer, this company is horrible and very unprofessional.
Pros
The uniform look good
Cons
Poor management, unsafe post for employees and pay is lower than average
Not worth your time or effort
Unarmed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 25, 2018
One of if not the worst job I've ever had in security. Technically I never applied for United American Security. UAS purchased the company I worked for (Uniguard) and forced new rules/management upon us. This includes a 2 week notice penalty (your last paycheck from the company will be minimum wage if you don't give a 2 week notice), loss of PTO hours from Uniguard, more expensive healthcare "benefits," and eventual loss of overtime opportunities. Most of the contracts available pay $10.50. The few city contracts/stressful ones pay $12. The only way to get a raise is to move up a rank which requires the person occupying that spot to die or quit, so good luck. I can only tell you my experience with working the City Hall/Municipal Court contract because that's the only one I ever worked.
Everyday it's the exact same painfully mundane process. You're micromanaged the whole shift. The dispatcher plans out your whole day down to when you can go on break/what patrols you can do. In fact, you can't go to the restroom without being relieved/letting dispatch know. Like a Sims character the overseer needs to know where you are 24/7 so you can forget about having the freedom to move freely. You spend most of your day at a stationary post, waiting to be relieved by one of your co-workers. This can take up to 3-4 hours. If you're the dispatcher for the day you have to manage a 3 man job. You're the information desk and dispatcher which means you'll either be answering radio calls, phone calls, questions, or doing paperwork. Keep in mind this is all for $12 and requires you to sit in
  more... the basement of the building where the janitors roll smelly, noisy trashcans by on an hourly basis. Everywhere there's a security post there are multiple cameras. The major, captain, lieutenant, contract manager, etc. keep watch from their distant office. There's a no phone rule so if you decide to send that quick text or answer that quick phone call when you think no one is looking you risk getting wrote up or verbally warned. Very similar to the way I remember high school being ran which makes perfect sense because we're treated like we aren't trustworthy or responsible enough to do a job without being constantly supervised. Overall if you want to feel like a slave who doesn't have the cognitive thinking ability to remember what your job requires you to do without the assistance of other people then this is the job for you. Enjoy your sentence.
Oh and I almost forgot. The armed guard for City Hall is lazy and stays in the office where all of the monitors/supervisors are, far from the doors he's supposed to be protecting. So if you decide to work that contract you're also risking your safety.
Pros
Uniforms are paid for, License is paid for, Equipment is paid for.
Cons
Pay, Micromanagement, Poor work environment, Incompetent management, Monday paydays, Outdated equipment, Mandatory 2 week notice or your last paycheck is minimum wage, etc.
Dont work for them. unprofessional
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLJanuary 29, 2019
Corporate covers up investigations against supervisors so i quit. I refuse to work for a company that is a one man team and dont back up their employees. I had plenty evidence against the supervisor of harrassment including recordings and nothing was done about it. They allowed an officer to keep her job after she was caught and continued to sleep with truck drivers. The company is a joke itself, very unprofessional. Under paid and no benefits like promised.
Very productive place to work
security site coordinator (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCOctober 22, 2018
Great management. Great sites time off requested is granted overall great company to work for. The site is very respectable and friendly understanding and caring.
Pros
Paid vacation good benefits flexible
Cons
Short staffed
DON’T bother wasting your time
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Scranton PADecember 11, 2018
I was employed with United American Security for 3 years. They NEVER offered me a full time position. The pay was a TINY bit above minuim wage. & No benefits, since they don’t hire for full time. Terrible job sites, in the absolute WORST parts of town. I’m 5’4” 100lbs. I had ABSOLUTELY NO back up, other than my own personal cell phone. If I had any problems, it took managent over an hour to respond back to me. I worked at all different shifts, at different job sites. The pay would vary a few cents for each job site. They provide uniforms, but it’s basically a security deposit. They take the money out of your paycheck for the first few checks. You DO get your money back after you leave, but you have to jump through flaming hoops in order to even return your uniform. You also have to pay for your own background check. You are NOT reimbursed for that. The pay was laughable, the job sites they purposely put me in, are in the WORST parts of town. Totally alone. No back up. LUCKILY, I made friends with a local police officer, who was actually concerned about MY safety, so he made it his priority, to maintain a constant presence at my job site. Something he did NOT have to do. He was actually REALLY CONCERNED! I’ve done security for many years with different companies. This was the worst by far. I eventually got laid off, the job site dropped their contract. I had to refuse to go to certain sites because they wanted me, alone, with nothing more than MY cell phone, in the areas that are the most dangerous in that area of town. I’m happy I’m no longer there. Unless you’re looking for  more... something just to keep you busy.... I’d look ANYWHERE else. They make it sound so perfect when you go to apply..... But, once you’re hired, just be prepared for A LOT of “miscommunication”. That’s always their excuse.  less
Pros
It’s a job. You get paid.
Not to be trusted
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 19, 2018
Management will lie when they can about raises, and to even go through hoops to earn "special credentials for weapons on your duty rig.) They bow down to the point of kissing the clients feet and leaving you high and dry, they will drag your name through the mud as mentioned.

The management barely knows what they are doing (HIGHLY INCOMPETENT) Most of the sites are just as bad. This is a horrible combo. Top gun security was very good until the mistake was made to sell it to this garbage hole company.

The hardest part of the job is getting the truth, knowing if you will be terminated or hired, and the peanut pay.

YOU WILL NOT GET RAISES EVER UNLESS PROMOTED (YOU CAN ONLY BE PROMOTED THROUGH KNOWING PEOPLE)

STAY AWAY *****
Pros
Uniforms, and some INsurance
Cons
The COMPANY Its self. Management
Fun place to work
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 2, 2018
The working environment is okay and the employees are very friendly. But there is no growth with the company and no pay raise since I have been there!
Pros
Nothing is free
Cons
No break
Requires verstility
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 6, 2018
This job is very interesting. It is good for anyone certified as a security officer to start a career. I would recommend taking overtime to start out and make sure you keep in touch with management to show that you are willing to put in the work to get ahead.
Security Officer
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2018
Great Experience. Work/Life Balance. Management is very professional. Work environment is very positive. I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company.
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 21, 2018
Good company to work for and helpful management. They promote from within frequently as they did with me. Reasonable expectations for wage. Some employees can be difficult to deal with in this area but management supports us. Paid training and they supply uniforms. Most enjoyable is helping others.
Pros
decent benefits, paid training, promote from within, always have hours available and supportive
Cons
no 401k, some posts are boring
It is a job!
Security Guard/Supervisor/Payroll conductor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2018
If I am being completely honest here, the company does ensure that you will have work because they are never in danger of losing hours, and if they do you can go to other work sites. Just don't expect a pay raise, don't expect a promotion unless you know people, and don't expect to get days off or vacation until they feel like giving it to you. Oh, and you'll get a "final notice" despite the fact that you were never written up for one thing.
Pros
Always have work, usually consistent hours.
Cons
Poor health care package, lack of interest in promotions and pay increases.
Bad hiriing habbits.
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
The company tends to hire family members and friends a lot. Family members and friends receive promotions and pay raises even if only working for as little as a few weeks.
This job is what you make it.
Site Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 13, 2018
Different sites have different rules. Just adhere to the rules and you will advance and be paid accordingly.
I personally have been with them 15 years and have always been treated fairly and respectfully. I work hard and am good at my job, so I have advanced rather quickly.
Their pay is above average for the industry , but there are some sites that do pay minimum wage. That is not UAS fault, it's dependent on the client.
Pros
Plenty of advancement, lots of overtime
Cons
If you are not properly relieved, you need to wait until someone can come in to relieve you.
They work with you
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2018
This company doesn't offer much advancement, but when you need to work a few extra hours they will help you out as long as you help them out too. The management staff is good, but they have times when they get on you unfairly. This company balls down to-----you help us we help you.
Pros
They seem like they care a great deal.
Cons
They don't care about excuses they just want the work done.
Wonderful On-Site Managment at Vallourec
Security Guard (Unarmed) (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHSeptember 20, 2018
I absolutely love working at Vallourec Steel Mill for United American Security. On-Site Management is excellent and very understanding. Supervisors do their best to help work around your schedule and make sure that you are getting the best possible training. Co-workers are close and get along well with each other. (There are always one or two bad apples, but for the most part, everyone works well together). This is the perfect retirement or just-starting-off job. Veteran-friendly (and preferred) and good for people in college that have a schedule that needs to be worked around.
Pros
Room for advancement, consistent schedules available, fast and slow-paced posititions available, on-site management is wonderful
Cons
Starting guard wage is $9.50/hour
Workplace
Security Officer (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 3, 2019
The most difficult part of working for UAS was the low wages and scheduling. When I began working there, I stated that I could only work specific hours because I have children. For some reason, I found myself working working during the time of day that I planned to spend with my children. Plus,there was little room for advancement.
Cons
Pay, hours, and little room for advancement
Official response from United American Security
January 7, 2019

Thank you for your feedback regarding the wages and scheduling. We will pass your feedback on to the branch you listed and will continue to strive to make improvements to our scheduling procedures and opportunities for advancement.

Over Work Under Paid
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  FayettevillieAugust 24, 2018
The pay-rate is not reasonable. The hours are not there.Communication is not good. They will either over work you or under work you. I need something steady, whee as I KNOW I WILL WORK MY 40 HOURS AND BE PAID
Pros
Cons
bi-weekly pay
My Experience
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20006October 24, 2018
Typical day at work: collaborative with colleagues
What I learned: job skills
Management: kept me busy
Workplace Culture: had both desireable and undesireable qualities
The hardest part of the job: Tenants and residence not following the rules of the security enforcement team
The most enjoyable part of the job: meeting new people and doing my job
Pros
Different Post
Cons
Working at night
Average place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLFebruary 21, 2018
When hired great place to work, change in management caused loss of account. No advancement opportunities, limited benefits after 1 year, management slow in responding to issues.
Pros
Work with you on hours
Cons
Change in management
Extremely helpful with my employment
Shift Supervisor of Security (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KYFebruary 2, 2019
Loved my job! Just wanted to better myself in a new environment! Awesome co-workers and staff! A good way to get your foot in the door! A wonderful place to work! A loving family of business!
Pros
Paid training and vacation time
Cons
Short of management and employees
Official response from United American Security
February 4, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are thrilled to hear you loved your job! We will pass along this feedback (including the shortage of staff) to the local area management. We wish you all the best and thank you being part of Team UAS!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United American Security. Our community is ready to answer.