United Bank Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  WVJuly 11, 2018
I've worked for this company for several years. The benefits are great and they focus alot on training their staff. Management does not always recognize your hard work. But, you get to meet so many people and build lasting relationships!
Pros
Benefits, community involvement, off weekends
Cons
Not enough recognition, working off the clock
Poor Management
BM (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 11, 2018
Poor middle management. There are 3 regionals and 2 of them have absolutely no idea how to handle managers and help them out. Favoritism is like culture of the bank that it’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s all about how much you can brown nose and you will forever be safe even if you don’t produce but if you rubbed them the wrong way, they will find a way to get rid of you. They don’t train you, they just throw you in and expect you to compete with some polished managers who came from suntrust/capital one/ BOA.

Pay is a joke!!!!
Pros
Vacations
Cons
Pay, incompetent regional managers
Poor Management
Retail Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
The culture at United Bank is very toxic. They are not very good at growing the bank organically so they target smaller banks in their footprint to increase deposit size. The new customers and employees soon find out why United can't grow and they soon leave. Very qualified employees and excellent customers just end up going to different banks.The issues they have are poor middle management that lacks vision, low employee morale and poor compensation.
Horrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaOctober 29, 2017
Management is joke. They either have no idea what they're doing or they treat you like you're dumb for asking for help with something. There is no opportunity for advancement unless you are in the clique. The pay is horrible. The only good thing about this job was the amount of paid vacation and holidays you get and the health insurance plans were very reasonable.
Pros
Paid time off and health care plans.
Cons
Management was not very well trained, no advancement opportunities, and pay
Do not work here
CSR (Former Employee) –  Moundsville, wvApril 15, 2017
Do not work for this Moundsville branch. They do not follow policies and procedures. The management has favorites and if you are not in the "click" you will be treated poorly. The rules change from day to day at this branch, no matter what the policy is.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
management and current employees
Unappreciating Management
Teller (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVSeptember 1, 2016
Advancement is very hard because management plays favorites. If you're not within the inner circle you won't make it with this company, and that's very unprofessional. This place gave me a bad taste in my mouth for banking period. Will never return to the company.
Pros
Paid birthdays
Cons
Everything else
It's okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WVJuly 19, 2016
All I to say is, I will never return to this company. You are there to do a job, not be judged by customers. Treated poorly by management and customers. Customers are flat out rude and demanding. Lots of problems with debit cards and ATM machines and customers complain constantly.
Pros
Benefits, lunches
Cons
a bunch of stuff
A joke of a bank
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVAugust 28, 2014
This bank is a joke of a company. There is zero appreciation towards employees and absolutely no professionalism. You would think it would be more professional at one of the biggest branches but it is far from it. They like to hire people with well known last names and then give them special treatment. They will screw over an employee that has been with the company for many years to make sure those people with last names get what they want. The pay is very poor for the work that is expected. If you go to any other bank, you get paid more for half the work load. The ethics there are unbelievable. They have family members in charge of or over another family member. Those people also get special treatment and promotions handed to them. They also lie to employees saying that they are giving them a promotion to another job and then go back on their word. Just think long and hard if you are thinking about applying here. The only benefit is that you will gain experience to go elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Pay, treatment of employees, no advancement
Terrible Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVUMay 19, 2014
Some of the employees are nice but overall a terrible place to work. The pay is terrible and what you are expected to do for that pay is outrageous. There is a lot do favoritism shown to females and others with connections beyond the workplace. They say advancement is from within but in my time there, more than half the open positions were filled from outside. 6 day work weeks leave little time outside of the job. I could go on but please only use this place as a last resort.
Pros
"Bankers' Hours"
Cons
To many to list
busy most of the time
sales associate / teller (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaJanuary 29, 2014
Its a good start company but if you're a woman and want to advance don't even think about it. The only way to advance in this company is if your a man. There is a lot of favortism with this company. They focus more on pushing products on the customers and grading you on that than your actual performance and happiness of the customer.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
everything else
Great start up place for a career
Assistant Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVAugust 10, 2013
Lengthy and drawn out advancement process, worked along side management, duties were the same each day, training wasn't too bad, very friendly and helpful people.
Horrible company to work for!
BSA/AML/Risk Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAAugust 7, 2013
The pay is awful; their is no leadership; the pay raises are almost so low that it is disrespectful to even issue the raise in the first place; the management is a joke; you are unappreciated to say the least; their benefits aren't great; you have no room to advance, and there is discrimination within the workplace. Need I say more?
Pros
No dress code if you work in the back office
Cons
Everything - nothing good to say
Productive Day
Sales Associate (Teller) (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJune 18, 2013
Each day is packed full. There is always something to do which keeps all employees going. I have a wonderful manager and believe that she is incredibly personable, while also being a strong leader. Id say the hardest part of my job is coming across customers with issues im unable to help with; do to the fact that as tellers we are limited to what we can do as far as account maintenance.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Not a lot of room for advancement, not challenging
Poorly managed & poor pay.
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaMay 7, 2013
Poor pay, job advancement based on relation to upper management or appearance instead of skill, high turn over, poor executive decisions, outdated corporate environment, lack of resources, and very stressful high tension environment with some co-workers. Do not waste your time here.
Pros
Banker hours, health insurance package
Cons
Pay, poorly ran, understaffed, no over time exceptions
Underwhelmed
Full Time Teller (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 18, 2013
I was really looking forward to working for this company and starting what I had hoped would turn into a life long career. United gave me the worst first impression I have ever had of a job. Between the disorganization and having managment talk to me like I was four, I was very underwhelmed. After only working there for two months, I knew I needed to find somewhere else to buile a career. The final straw was when a co-worker was promoted because she was pretty (very nice and very promising as an employee, but still pretty) after only having worked there for two weeks...the worst part, they made no attempt to hide the fact that her promotion was due to looks. Not impressed at all.
Pros
work hours, holiday and sick pay, benifits.
Cons
management, values (or lack thereof).
Great Bankers hours and holidays
Management (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVMarch 14, 2013
Great hours and holidays paid off. Sick time plus vacation time immediately.
Productive and challenging environment
Credit Analyst in Commercial Lending (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MarylandJanuary 22, 2013
A solid company with excellent co-workers, who were great teachers. I enjoyed working there and only left for personal reasons.
Pros
good co-workers, good managment
Cons
slow with promotions
Productive work environment with great co-workers
Credit Analyst in Commercial Lending (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAJanuary 3, 2013
United Bank is a great company with great benefits, ability for professional growth, and intelligent/friendly co-workers.
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, VAJanuary 2, 2013
Great place to gain experience in an financial setting. Great training.
Pros
training and opportunities
Cons
opportunities limited to northern va area.
United Bank
Sales & Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 29, 2012
A typical day at work includes but is not limited to answering the phone, helping customers in multiple ways and supporting co-workers. I have learned how to pace myself and not try to do everything at once which can cause anyone to get too stressed out at their job. Management could use some better communications skills but they mean well. The hardest part of my job is balancing many jobs that should be taken care of by at least one or two more people. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I can help a customer accomplish something they would not have been able to do on their own.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
many choices for healthcare providers