United Electric Supply Employee Reviews

Work hard for You
Employee Owner (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEMarch 27, 2019
A fast-paced workplace with fun,dedicated,hard-working employee-owners. Fair compensation/benefits package which includes ESOP and 401k. A company that values and supports employees, encourages feedback/input, offers various training for all employees (not just management), gives back to the community, etc.
Pros
Esop, co-workers that challenge you to bring your A-game
Cons
Not a good fit for employees who aren't willing to pull their share of the workload.
Great Place to Work
Director of Marketing (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEMarch 27, 2019
United is different than any other company I've worked for the past. I am relatively new to the company and I was really surprised by all the support that I received when I started. Everyone is really friendly and there is a special type of culture where everyone looks out for each other. It may be because of the ESOP, but there are no politics and everyone seems to take accountability for their role.
Pros
Forward thinking CEO, ESOP Plan, Great Culture
Best job I've ever had
Sales (Current Employee) –  LancasterMarch 26, 2019
This company found me based on my resume on here. I couldn't be happier. I worked my way up from a warehouse position to where I am now. Is selling electrical equipment a dream job? No, but I highly doubt anyone sets out in life to sell this stuff. What makes this place tick is the culture.
If you apply yourself here, you can make things happen. If you make yourself an obvious candidate, they'll work on training you to make that happen. I have been sent away to multiple vendor training classes to further my career. It has been pleasant.
The work/life balance here is great. They truly understand you have a life outside of work and that family comes first. I have a manager that cares about me and his staff. They know things can happen and work your schedule to accommodate.
On top of all of this, the company is an ESOP (employee-owned). You get 401K matching and shares from the ESOP. Can't ask for more!
I feel management has an open door policy here and will listen to you. On top of that, the amount of information shared from C-level is more than anything I've experienced at other jobs.
No place is without its faults, but UE seems to learn from those faults and the good far outweighs and negative.
Only con I can see, is if you're not willing to move, some times advancement in certain locations can take a good deal of time as it's a company with A LOT of people staying 20+ years. I do think the hiring process can be streamlined a bit more and this seems to be getting addressed.
Pros
Advancement, work life balance, training, flexible
Cons
Advancement can take time, hiring process
Started my outside sales career here
OUTSIDE SALES ACCOUNT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMarch 18, 2019
Good starter place to work, good people but not enough locations to meet the competition ability for supply and demand. After 8 years decided it was time to move up to larger company that paid more, offered company vehicle and had product distribution centers to draw product from to meet customer requirements.
Pros
Good starting point in deciding career
Cons
Not enough branch locations
stressful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEFebruary 22, 2019
United is a very stressful place to work. You always have to look over your shoulder to see who is stabbing you in the back that particular day.
Low paid underappreciated employees, unless you are management. No one else seems to matter to them
Pros
decent group of co-workers
Cons
very stressful and biased and blind management
A Place With It’s Perks, As Long As You Run With The In-Crowd
Sales (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEFebruary 15, 2019
This workplace upon first entering touts and lauds itself with praise and tries to stake it’s claim as the messiah of workplace “culture” and “balance”. They’ll be the first to point out all the great things there are to be had while working for them. The “benefits” of employee stock ownership and how they’re leaders in their industry . They sell you a dream and offer promise for the future of every new recruit. The oasis of United Electric can be had - all you have to do is sell your soul. The fact is, they offer about industry average pay with very little incremental (i.e yearly) raises. The story was always we can’t give large raises because we’re projecting a down year. They broke their sales and profits goals year over year for the previous 5 years. The benefits are subpar and from the sounds of the past few years, they’re finding it harder and harder to even find an insurance company willing to insure them. You know what that means? Deteriorating health care with escalating prices passed to the employee. So that average or even slightly above industry standard salary? Yeah, cut that by a third to pay for your healthcare. And you’ll need it because god forbid you get sick. You’ll still need to come in and infect the office who don’t want you there any more than you want to be there. The place has a long top heavy chain of command and below them a fledgling team of middle managers whom you couldn’t script to be any more bumbling in an Office Space remake. “Yeaaah, If you could work harder and also come in even with a positive case of Type A H1N1 flu so I could get back to  more... my office to play video games and listen to podcasts, that would be great!”. I swear, I can’t make this stuff up. With that said, if you manage to squirm your way into the group of cool kids - the in crowd - you can fly up the food chain here quickly. It’s just a shame it has to come at the price of your dignity, health, and self respect. Brown nosers and rear end kissers do very well here with little to no experience necessary. Technical skills and customer relations have nay to do with proper promotions. They advocate for hiring within the company. At least that’s the picture they like to paint, akin to Bob Ross painting happy little trees. However, interior promotions are the exception rather than the rule and though they tell you they post every job and give ample opportunities to all - the truth is quite a few jobs are never mentioned and are simply handed to folks within that aforementioned chosen circle of secrecy. With all that said, they are some really great people underneath the swirling mass of middle management purgatory. They do sponsor some nice health related discounts and they do also offer some nice parties twice a year - oh and you have to pay to attend, you didn’t think there wouldn’t be a catch did you? The Circuit Club as it’s called from within does an exceptional job for and on the employee’s behalf with extras year round such as the Santa event around the holidays and the crab feast and holiday party as I just mentioned. They do offer a free gym on premise in New Castle which is nice. In conclusion, this is a place which does have its perks for the right individual, but this is definitely a workplace where merit, knowledge and skill are rated far lower on the scale then the tried and true “it’s all about who you know” method of operation. If you walk-in with your lips puckered, I have a feeling they have the perfect job for you.  less
Pros
Free Gym, Circuit Club, Training available if you ask enough.
Cons
Terrible leadership, disorganized and cluttered management, No work/life balance
Excellent employer
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDJuly 19, 2018
United Electric Supply was a fantastic place to work. They were very organized and clean. Your co-workers were friendly and so was the management. I would strongly reccomend working here.
Pros
Work environment
Warehouse Supervisor
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 7, 2018
Warehouse Supervisor at Lancaster branch of United Electrical Supply electrical distributors.Supervised all outgoing orders,deliveries,picking,packing,
inventory control,receiving, warehouse operations,customer service and emergency deliveries.Hands on direction of varying work flow.Re-.Organized inventory in warehouse and counter area to increase productivity and heighten customer service and sales.Instituted new warehouse functions to increase productivity and accuracy.WMS/RF certified.Forklift Certified.Warehouse,forklift and truck maintenance
cool realxed worked place
Warehouse Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDApril 4, 2018
Has its ups and downs.
Can be busy at times but a cool work place.
Sometimes you are reward for your hard work. I think it should happen more often.
You get what you put in
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEMarch 30, 2018
This is a fast pace job in a competitive field. It can seem stressful at times if you let it and do not use the resources you are given. Everyone is here to make the company better, being it is employee owned. There is a lot of opportunity for advancements if you speak up to management and put the work in.
Pros
Opportunity to advance, employee owned, great atmosphere
Cons
Fast paced enviroment which can feel like you are being thrown into it all
Very friendly and knowledgeable group of people
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDNovember 30, 2017
Very well run organized company with great benefits.
Understaffed in their project departments
Friendly staff and would recommend UE to anyone that desires a position in the electrical industry
Employee-owned with advancement opprtunities
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEOctober 9, 2017
Definitely the best place I've ever worked. It's employee-owned so everyone working there has some skin in the game. Great people who are great at what they do. Management cares about the employees and work/life balance is encouraged.
Pros
Esop, work/life balance, development opportunities, promotes from within
Cons
Vacation policy isn't fantastic. Management can be slow to embrace change.
This job is drama
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 25, 2017
This job was a disaster . Drivers are always micro-managed. If you are not in the right group, you are a nobody.Too much stress and drama. Can not keep a warehouse manager.
Love it here
Co-worker (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEAugust 23, 2017
I think they company is well run, especially given the complexities facing distribution as a whole. Senior Management is approachable and honest. Co-workers are great and happy to help with just about anything. The employee ownership culture is apparent, but I think this may be lost among the younger people that work here due to a variety of potential reasons.

The company is fun to work for with the annual Crab Feast and Holiday Party, as well as random raffles for extra paid days off, discounts on health related products every now and then, etc.
Pros
Stock, 401k, paid vacation, opinion is always heard, senior management, culture, as much training as you want... I could keep going.
Cons
What Cons?
good people to work with.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 18, 2017
I like the people there. Small company benefits were not the best. Would have stayed there, but business slowed down. Everyone there were very helpful when a question was ask. hardest part of job was putting pipe away. some of it was very heavy.
Pros
everyone very easy to talk to.
Cons
short breaks
Don't fall for the hype
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 2, 2017
Employee owned and operated, yea it really means nothing other than you can't form a union. This place is a joke. The Lancaster branch cannot retain management people more than a few months because upper management likes to micro-manage everything. The whole place is full of drama and everyone talks trash on everyone else. The drivers get treated poorly and are constantly scrutinized and micro-managed too. The sales people are clueless and the warehouse is overworked and under staffed.
Pros
It's better than being homeless
Cons
Everything else, poor leadership, no pride, no motivation
Lasdale Office is poorly run- Management Trainee is just low paid labor
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEMay 24, 2017
United offers little except long hours low pay and lots of stress. The management trainee programs promises a lot but offers little. They make you do all kind of menial jobs, with the hope of getting an outside sales position in 2-3 years. Only to find out they pay 5% commissions. This is way below the average, you have to do 3-4 million in sales to make anything here. This is impossible for a trainee. Look elsewhere maybe try Colonial or Billows.

The car program they have leaves the employee paying most of it. It is great for the company, as they force you to upgrade every 3 years with a new vehicle, if you are in outside sales, even if you don't want to.
Pros
Cons
Ceo is a poor leader, Management chain of command is long-Top heavy
Warehouse work not advised
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 29, 2016
Unfortunately I can't recommend this company for anyone looking to get into the Logistics and supply chain field. The warehouse is extremely unorganized and not up to speed on regulations. This creates a very unsafe work environment. Workers do not get certified to handle warehouse equipment (forklift, reach truck, etc.) This also creates potential for serious work injury. One inventory person dedicated to maintaining the entire warehouse and front counter which leads to inaccurate and poor product management. Heavy product stacked and placed on top tracks unwrapped. The list can go on. The warehouse supervision on day as well as evening is very lacking and un-approachable. Entry level workers are given insufficient training and thrown to the wolves so to speak. This in turn creates a very stressful job and fear of getting released.

The New Castle, DE location is in desperate need of efficiency and team building expertise.

Please be aware that job description and hours presented will change day to day due to lack of preparation by warehouse management.
Pros
Employee stock option (available after year) and in house gym provided for employees
Cons
Poor and expensive medical benefits, unsafe work enviorment, semi hostile co-workers, inept warehouse supervision, lack of structure in work details and hours
Never felt like I was part of the team
warehouse driver (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJanuary 7, 2016
I was made a bunch of promises . Never had one filled.
Something about the atmosphere there that never made me feel welcome. Maybe the guys who were supposed to train me telling me they have to do their own work and don't have time to train me. Go get a broom and sweep. Yup I'm a Cdl A driver who spent most of my days sweeping the floor of the warehouse.
Pros
Cons
The lied to me and told me my shift was 2am-10am, Actually it was 10:30am. They told me I would get the ESOP immediately. It takes a year
Terrible workplace
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DeSeptember 30, 2014
Management is bad from the head man in charge all the way down to the warehouse supervisor. SHAME ON UNITED ELECTRIC!
Pros
I don't work there anymore
Cons
You name it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Electric Supply. Our community is ready to answer.