United Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great organization
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIJune 7, 2018
I am lucky to work in a department where I have a lot of opportunities to learn and grow. My manager allows me quite a bit of autonomy and frequently checks in to make sure I have everything I need to do my job to the best of my ability.
Pros
Great culture and opportunities for advancement
Great place to work for
Member Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MIMay 1, 2018
They pay is awesome. I love working here. I would recommend anyone to apply. The Paid time off is great and they even give out yearly bonuses! I wish there was a UFCU in NC that has a spot open I would apply to transfer there.
Pros
45 min Lunches
Cons
Not enough locations
Horrible Management and Culture - AVOID
Member Services - Consumer and/or Mortgage Sales (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIJanuary 10, 2018
UFCU has, in my opinion, an utterly incompetent senior leadership team. They have no idea how to run a company. Most have no formal education or substantive professional experience outside of the credit union and have only obtained and retained their positions because of nepotism.

The culture, or lack thereof, is probably the only thing about the company that is worse than it's leadership. It's a corporate credit union at its worst. Front-line staff are disconnected from senior leadership and unvalued. Suggestions for improvement are discouraged and there's no attempt to improve the work life of the employee.

If it wasn't for the compensation, which is competitive, UFCU would have a very difficult time finding and retaining employees.
Pros
Competitive compensation package
Cons
Senior leadership, management and culture
Positive work environment, fair compensation
Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MINovember 6, 2017
Positive work environment, fair compensation, supportive training team,great opportunities for advancement. UFCU sets the bar high for employers in our area.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIJuly 29, 2017
Great pay, above average benefits, clear direction of company with transparency to employees. They truly care about their members and their employees.
Pros
Pay, benefits, enjoyable work environment, fulfilling work
Cons
More work than what they had staff for
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIJune 22, 2017
The workload consisted of sorting, scanning and indexing thousands and thousands of papers daily from the entire corporation. They only had two people to complete this job and have everything done within a 5 day time frame. You only got 30 min for lunch and no breaks working a 830-5 day. Management was appreciative of the hard workers, but lacked in disciplining the lazy ones. The workplace, people there were very judgmental and clicky, not wanting to accept someone new into the job place easily. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the people and trying to keep up with the quota when you had a co-worker who didn't work as hard as you did. The most enjoyable part of the job, the 30 minutes that you got for lunch and 5 o'clock when it was time to go home.
Pros
supervisor was nice
Cons
no breaks, 30 min lunch, judgemental/rude staff, didn't make you feel welcomed into the work environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  MichiganJune 7, 2017
I loved working here they have a great training program and you can get raises mostly at your speed and are determined by what you know. you have weekends and holidays off and not hard work at all.
Pros
Holidays and weekends off
Cons
Had a bad manager at the end
Not good
Teller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMay 17, 2017
Overall it was not good especially if management doesn't care for you or you get on their bad side and you better be able to meet your goals because they will let you go if you don't. Glad I am no longer there the stress was not worth the pay or benefits that a were just ok.
Pros
Non
Cons
Everything about them
I enjoyed my work at UFCU but decided to work part time or retire
Card Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIApril 26, 2017
My day started with downloading reports and making sure members accounts were properly credited and debited for transactions. Phone calls and emails came in from call center to assist with issues that only we could support them with thru software programs and special training.
Management was always present for support, guidance and coaching if and when needed, however they allowed us to work as team or individual as needed.
The hardest part of the job was when I couldn't complete everything in one day and had to carry things over, the key was to manage and judge what could wait and what needed to be addressed immediately.
people came in and out including managemen
Teller (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 9, 2017
• Cashier, daily paperwork, open/close, safe deposits, stock shelves, ordering, interviewing, hiring/firing, reporting variances to corporate home office, scheduling, check vendors in and assess inventory, changing and updating gas prices, assign daily tasks to employees
Pros
Remaining employees knew their jobs
Cons
too many new employees
Wouldn't recommend this organization
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Fletcher, NCFebruary 9, 2017
The upper management is very unprofessional. Their expectations of employees is high, but their training and leadership is poor. They openly humiliate employees. Office managers are micro managed, and are expectted to use these same techniques with their own staff. They believe in manipulating employees to get what they want and seem happy to do it that way.
Branch Manager
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCJanuary 24, 2017
Good company to work for. Great Benefits. Outstanding Team and leadership from the local market. Couldn't ask for a better team to work with. Recently there has been new leadership (CEO, Senior Leadership) change in the company's direction. Not sure if the direction is good , its still too early to tell. Culture is amazing due to the local leadership. More of a corporate setting the higher you go. Corporate really doesn't appreciate the local growth or at least they don't show it, however the local leadership does and shows it. Ones of those that leads by example, expects a lot, but rewards for the hard work. Enjoyable part of the job is the local people you work with, from members to team members. They are some of the best in the business. Member facing, would run a teller transaction, to open new accounts, work with a loan application from equity lines, car loans, credit cards and personal lines of credit. Business call, from cold calling to community events. Sales goals, Referral goals are expected. They have a growth plan for Tellers and Member Service Advisors ranging from Bronze to Platinum levels. Pay is good, little low for this market area, but still pretty good. Again I say best part of the job is working with great team locally and helping the members with their needs. Very community oriented. Not so much opportunity for growth. The corporate office being in Michigan, you have more job opportunities, due to more office and branches, along with the operation center, little harder to do that with fewer offices in the local market here in NC.
Pros
Local Management and Team, Benefits
Good place to work for
Core Collector (Former Employee) –  Niles, MIOctober 21, 2016
Enjoyed working for United Federal, but there was no room for advancement unless you knew someone in management or you had been a teller. Some of my coworkers needed to work on their work ethic.
Management is lackluster and members are the worst
Teller (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJuly 28, 2016
Here at United Federal you will find the worst members of all time. I have worked 3+ years in retail and have never met members/customers as bad as the ones I encounter here. Along with that, management is nowhere to be found when you really need them. Also, their training consist of pawning you off on another teller.
One of the best places I've ever worked
Project & Administrative HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MIJune 4, 2016
United Federal Credit Union is by far one of the best places I've ever worked and they are by the number one employer in the Southwest Michigan region.
Pros
Compensation and benefits packages
Great Place to work.
Executive Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIMarch 12, 2016
UFCU is a great employer to work for. The people are knowledgeable and very friendly. The benefits are excellent and the opportunity for advancement is great.
A great place to work
Training Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIJanuary 31, 2016
The experience gained has been great! I've learned to use so many different systems, gained an understanding of banking regulations, and the basics of finance. The culture and people are the best part of working at United.
Cons
process customer transactions and loan applications accurately
Assistant Branch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Buchanan, MIDecember 30, 2015
daily activity includes processing customer deposits, withdrawals, loan payments as well as processing loan payments.
Pros
the ability to move forward in the company
Cons
having off days where you may not balance accurately
I loved my members and people from other departments
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fletcher, NCDecember 17, 2015
I loved United and the members I served. I did everything that I could to make their financial goals a reality. I have members that would wait for me every day and that would only call me for help. I truly miss them.
My son got sick a year and a half ago and that caused me too much stress. With the new building and marketing company building business causing the work load to more than double and no new hires I worked hard and would not get lunches on regular basis. I was ok with that because I am very goal minded and wanted to keep my name at the top.
I met with members and opened accounts that included verifying info and data entry along with approving the account.
I did the same with loans. Qualifying loans based on information I requested from members adhering to strict lending guidelines.
Paperwork had to be organized and well maintained.

My son is better now and I want part time to be able to help some with my grand child who is 6 months old.
Pros
Members, benefits, coworkers
Cons
working thru lunches, life at that time was too hard to keep up.
Great place to grow and advance.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Niles, MISeptember 9, 2015
Upper management was wonderful and positive. The benefits are great. A lot is required of employees there but the compensation is worth the effort.
Pros
benefits and advancement
Cons
Human Resources has a few hang-ups.