United Fire Group Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you like favoritism
Underwriting Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COApril 20, 2018
I really liked working here until all the favoritism came to the surface. They push work on people and don't give them enough training. Some supervisors don't know enough of employees duties to provide any real help.
Good Place. Great People
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Company that cares about its employees. The people and community make a stressful job less stressful. A growing company so you get the benefits of a big and small work environment.
Job Requirements
Inside Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 4, 2018
The job was very stressful with a heavy claims volume along with a claims operating system that was constantly breaking down or needed tweaking. This made claims handling very difficult. I felt overwhelmed with all of the claims coming in from 9 different states.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Heavy work load and lack of raises.
terrible company
Multi-Line Commercial Field Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 22, 2018
You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. The benefits package is great because everything else is terrible. No training offered then they fire you because you don't know your job?? Terrible management. Only care about the almighty dollar than their employees. High turnover. Low pay. Work you 50+ hours a week with no credit. Worse company I have ever worked for.
Benefits
Cons
Management, miniscule raises, no training
Too many tasks/documentation to be completed per project.
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 21, 2017
To get a project accomplished, there are too many documents/tasks that need to be done.

The collaborative space is great for some groups, but for what I do, it is disruptive and the overall design of the desks make if difficult to concentrate on the more intricate tasks that need attention.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I'm able to work from home.
Pros
Flexablilty to work from home.
Cons
Too many tasks/documentation to be completed. Too much noise.
Great company with even greater employees
Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2017
UFG is a great place to work with a lot of wonderful employees. It is a comfortable work environment and is warm and inviting to everyone. I really enjoyed working for UFG.
benefits
Great for established IT workers, hard on fresh out of college IT workers
Cobol Programmer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 21, 2017
Amazing benefits and extremely understanding, however unclear on how to get promoted and seems some have been there for 20+ years without a promotion.
Pros
Downtown, lots of benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Unclear about promotion requirements
Fantastic management and group cooperation
Senior Loss Control Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 5, 2017
Cedar Rapids, IA based insurance carrier providing Property, General Liability, and Automobile Liability coverages to customers throughout Southern California, Nevada, and Arizona.

This is a company with great management support and group culture.
Great place to start working
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 7, 2017
I started working here at a very young age. It was a great entry level starting place for me to gain experience and responsibilities about being in the work place.
Benefits
Unfortunately
Systems Programmer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 20, 2017
The local people I worked with and the supervisors we dealt with in IOWA were excellent. But when they fire your immediate supervisor and then have your supervisor located in IOWA, miscommunications will happen.

If you live in Cedar Rapid Iowa they are an excellent company to work for but do not work in a satelite office and expect to be a valued asset.
Worse place I ever worked
RATER ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Pennington, NJAugust 30, 2016
Computer system horrible. Management very micro managing.
Pay scale not very competitive. Typical day, very stressful!

Good benefits and coworkers.
Old school insurance company
Claims Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 20, 2015
This company is a great insurance company that still stays true to its roots and customer service. It is growing rapidly. It will never have the highest compensation but it has a great culture.
Good relationships with management, but work atmosphere could use some work.
Underwriting Intern (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAApril 30, 2015
The internship consisted of learning the software, but besides that there was very little learning about insurance and he company itself.
Amazing place to work
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Coprorate OfficeMarch 18, 2015
UFG is a great place to work. One of the very few companies that still have a pension. They treat their employees wonderfully with more paid time off than I've ever had at any other company.
Nice place to work. Great team environment.
Commercial Lines Associates Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Pennington, NJMarch 18, 2015
Very high pace. Great people to work with. Constant training. Wonderful hours for parents with children. Flexible work environment.
Pros
Cons
Limited retirement Benefits
Nice company to work for. Great benefits.
Customer Service Associate-Accounting (Former Employee) –  Lock Haven, PAJuly 31, 2014
I processed payments that were submitted by the agent. I also applied payments that were submitted by EFT and by mail.
Small company with corporate feel.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 5, 2014
This company is in a transition period moving from a family atmosphere to a more corporate structure feel. Therefore, you have transformed from a name to a number.
A small branch office
Rating Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COSeptember 20, 2013
Rate, code and issue quotes, new business, renewals and
Endorsements for all Commercial Lines of Insurance. Compute
premiums for insurance coverage.
Pros
20 min breaks 45 mins to 1 hour lunches. Christmas party
Cons
No talking, if you are late even 5 mins you stay 15 mins to make it up.
Great company under going multiple changes in outlook
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Galveston Texas June 25, 2013
Meeting the needs of others and becoming an independent worker. Have learned to accept change and work with others in a team environment. Management is in a changing curve of attitude and focus. The employees within the company are a great, as with any company you have those that are more self focused. Learning to understand the changes in attitudes of the management team and the focus they have. Working for a company that is employee focused.
Pros
Help with self development
Cons
Changes in the focus
Toxic Environment to work in the Denver office
Underwriting Department (Former Employee) –  Denver OfficeJune 4, 2013
This is a public website and we know that we can only allow to tell facts, no exaggerations. The following is factual, and is only a sample of what we have/are dealt/dealing with. We are telling the truth that we have/had seen this behavior in the Denver workplace.

This web site says we are not to include any personally identifiable information, so we will do our best to abide by this so please note that the start/end dates are inaccurate. We could not give accurate start date and possible end date as that would be easily, personally identifiable. The following bullet points are having or had taken place AT LEAST WITHIN THE LAST 3-4 YEARS:

-Toxic environment; hate/hated going to work each day

-Employees being let go or wanting to change to a new employer quickly

-Emails being looked at by others within the office on a regular basis, recognizing that it is not against company policy. We have/had just never experience/experienced the amount of time this happens/happened. Isn't there a better use of time?

-A number of employee changes are made within the office that impact or had impacted the relationship of agencies being or had been represented; and some of those agencies commenting or had commented on the constant changes.

-Development plans not what they appear or appeared to be

-Micro-managing ALL work is common

-Many procedures are not in writing and therefore must be asked to others, getting different answers by different employees.

-EVERYONE has to take lunch at 12pm. The reason - to make sure employees did not take a longer lunch than what
  more... they were suppose to; it made it easier to notice this potential practice since everyone had the same start time for lunch

This is just the high level description of the environment that a potential employee needs to know before accepting any kind of position within this office. Please take close consideration before you accept a job with this office.

We wish the information could be more positive, it took us hours to put this together to try to be as factual and to the point as possible. We hope you all take the information seriously.

Pros
Making friends
Cons
See below

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Fire Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight