United Group Of Companies Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stressful company with many internal issues
Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 22, 2018
The company has issues like many other developing companies. There is definitely favoritism from the HR department who picks and chooses who gets special treatment. The whole department is a mess and it trickles down to the rest of the company and the managers.
Pros
cant think of any
Cons
long hours, constant scrutiny
Difficult Place to Work
PM (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 29, 2018
Culture is very cut throat, poor management and nothing is kept confidential. Very difficult place to work. Do not work for this establishment if you want a long term position. Turnover is very high.
Learn new experiences
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 20, 2018
It was a very fast pace job, always keeping you on your feet and very busy. Working for them and its ups and downs but the day would usually move by very fast.
It was a great job
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NY 13601February 1, 2018
They where great. I loved working with them. but due to personal issues I was let go. Everything I did in the company was great. plus everyone I worked with was very nice.
Pros
Great hours and people
nice place to work
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 18, 2018
nice company plenty of growth potential if your hard working and loyal. company just needs to stay involved in everyday office challenges and address immediately
Corporate Fun Collaborative Culture
Regional Manager-Student Housing (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYDecember 31, 2017
Respect for all the team at UGOC. Friendly office atmosphere with genuine interest in crafting a great compensation package. From HR to Maintenance to the Executive offices, all are interested in assisting to achieve a common goal, success. Great developers and managers of Real Estate, with extensive knowledge of Multiple Markets, across a broad spectrum of Multi-Family, Student and Elder Housing platforms, that deliver outstanding amenities, while maintaining affordability.
Pros
Benefits, Lunches, Access to Leadership, Autonomy
Cons
Time Management
United Group is Emotionally and Verbally Abusive
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 25, 2017
Unbearably miserable company from New York. Subjected to unappreciative management and negative culture. Management represents shockingly callous management practices. Working for this company(not a Colorado Company) is psychological torture.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Reconsider all your prospective career options
Some great talented people but there are some terrible people there who bully, dont work, get catered to over the loyal hard working ones.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 22, 2017
Favoritism, and rules apply to some, not what you know its who you know or if you know secrets you have leverage. Feels like there is two companies within one a definite divide and disrespect. There are some talented and quality people but they will get tarnished by all the craziness going on. Most of Accounting Department is like attending HS they can't just go to work and support one another. If someone higher up just doesn't like you for a pathetic reason your pretty much screwed they have an agenda. People talk to people just to obtain information about another, there are little narcs within but there'd be no issues if they didn't go around starting things. Drama for sure! Very inconsistent and no true structure you tend to work on things too many times which us unnecessary but there is terrible communication, no raise for productivity so someone could sit and do nothing and you could work so hard and your still equal. People come in and get the whole welcome treatment and praised and treated like gold but you sit there for years and get thrown scraps. If you go to HR or Ownership about a problem they throw what they've done for you in your face or dig something lame up from months ago that probably should have been addressed back than but use as a tally marker. Bullying is allowed and some people are just out for another person, intimidated maybe by the others talent, maybe they are just insecure but everyone should be helping each other and building one another up. People go through a lot out of work shouldn't have to go to work feeling like they aren't getting anywhere.  more... Being business savvy is great but try being people savvy. Turn over here is insane and building a great working relationship takes time and effort than you turn around and the people are gone. Turn over affects a lot and than work loads weigh heavier on certain people as they pick up the slack. The company tends to point finger outwards they need to look at the patterns, care about them and fix things. I will repeat there are truly SOME talented people but the idiots and arrogant ones will block them from shining. Some wear brown on their nose well others won't belittle themselves. I think a few people lost who they are and they have a lot on their plate to the point they are becoming blind to all that's going on. Use to be a pretty cool place to work actually! Unhealthy at times people crying and complaining but no one to,go to and they are afraid to go back out and seek employment. I think people shelter themselves in this place and forget how to treat people. I could go on and on but not my worry any more!  less
Pros
Benefits and learning great things from some Intelligent people!
Cons
Listed in my review!
Favoritism rules in this company
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Troy NYOctober 17, 2017
If you are looking for a company who has/encourages:

- favoritism
- inconsistency
- unhealthy work environment
- bullying (Controller who will yell directly at you and call you names)
- work is not evenly dispersed

Then this is just the place for you !!
Benefits
Cons
Favoritism
Terrible place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 26, 2017
Lots of lies. President and the CEO have terrible business practices. They rule by fear. Do not work here. They give false hope to investors. You will be told you have one job, but then they will pile stuff on causing yourself to spread yourself thin. Also want you to rent apartments but then have stupid educational classes that take you away from that. Lots of turnover. Don't do it.
Pros
Education
Cons
Management, no clue what they are doing
Horrible owners
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLApril 16, 2017
Don't work here. Not a good company to work for.
It will seem like it at first then you will be let go in 3 months if the huge numbers they want aren't met.
This is a very challenging work place.
Good company
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NY 12305January 19, 2017
I had a good experience with the United Group of Companies there is not enough growth opportunity. This is diversified company
Pros
Flexible
Cons
not enough attention to detail
Negative working environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 10, 2016
Extremely negative working environment where senior management favors employees and promotes unhealthily relationships and gossiping. Micromanagement is stifling and extreme and causes a very unproductive result. Goals that are set are unreasonable and unattainable.

Corporate employees don't know Florida senior housing market and provide inaccurate direction.

Education is promoted and there is room for advancement but mostly due to high turn over of employees. Benefits are excellent.

There is no personal time- employees are expected to work 24/7 and demand reports and plans on short notice.
Pros
Benefits and education opportunities
Cons
Leadership
Talented group of professionals that knew the industry well
Property Manager/Director of Marketing and Leasing (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 12, 2016
Competitive environment with good communications with staff; meetings and events for staff that brought us together. Independent management with support when requested.

Learned senior housing rentals and client needs.
Satisfaction in the work place
PMO Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2016
I've been working for UGOC for 3 years and honestly, I don't see myself working anywhere else! Whether you're a community manager, maintenance tech, APM or COO, it's a great environment. By far the best company to work and grow with. Not only does UGOC care about each individual, but they also care about employees families. We raise awareness when needed and always have each others backs. From Mulit-Family Housing, to Senior, to Student Housing, everyone always lends a helping hand. Again, from CM's, to PM'S, PM,, and all the way up, upper management doesn't hesitate to assiate. Human Resources also is always an easy phone call away to answer any question. Anytime there is an ADP, Yardi, or On-Site issure, you can always count on having an answer within a short period of time. Marketing department is amazing! Out of all of my experience, I've never seen such amazing ideas on how bring more Licenses and leases! Constantly referring great candidates to UGOC! We aren't just a Corporation. We're all FAMILY!
Pros
Family
Cons
Great company to work for
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYOctober 11, 2016
United Group is a great company to work for. They treat their employees as if they were family and give them the guidance they need to excel in their career. They have multiple locations throughout New York and other states to give their hard working employees the opportunity to relocate and grow to hold different positions within the company. There are more employees than not who have been with the company for 5+ years. Property Management can be challenging, but it's a very rewarding career if you are willing to put in the effort to succeed.
Company is great
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Brockport, NYOctober 11, 2016
UGOC is a great company to work for. Being in the student housing industry is new to me, due to this I came in with a lot of questions. The management team were eager to help me sort out my questions and provide me with answers. Corporate is always there when I need them, only a phone call away.

The marketing team is phenomenal and always willing to help and provides me with my necessary marketing tools ahead of time. This way I am prepared for events, tabling, etc.

This company provides a lot of room for advancement and promotion. They treat their employees with respect, I have never felt micromanaged, I am able to perform my job without feeling rushed or looked down upon.

Overall, I personally feel you get what you put into this company. If you work hard you will be rewarded. This company has honestly become a second family to me, I would recommend them 10/10.
Room for growth, great company to work for
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 11, 2016
This company has plenty of room for growth. If you work hard corporate will notice. There can be stress, but high reward. Many of the positions have great benefits that come along with them. Everyone is very friendly and inviting. If you need help all you have to do is reach out. This is really a great company from all angles. They start you off with a very in depth training to get you started that is very helpful.
Pros
Growth, benefits/compensation
Cons
Can be stressful at times, but very worth the reward
Don't go there!
Activity Director (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 8, 2016
Horrible company to work for from the top down. The turn-over within the company is unbelievable....they will fire you for no reason, and they frequently "clean house." IF YOUR SMART, DON'T GO THERE!
Opportunities to advance, high stress and high turnoover
Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 15, 2016
VERY high turnover at many sites property Manager Positions. If interviewing ask how many have came and gone in the years past. Also ask why.

Very high stress, high pressure job but there is great opportunity to move up if you start at the bottom and you can learn a lot.
Pros
Learning opportunities and training, Site level team work can be great. Long hours are nice if your hourly
Cons
Many sites struggle to operate due to lack of income, angry vendors looking for payment, accounts always being held, Corperate can micro manage, criticism recieved without real suggestions for improvement, personal relationships effecting work environment, Unrealistic budgets.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Group Of Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

United Group Of Companies Reviews by Location