United Language Group Employee Reviews

Great Co-Workers & Happy Hours
United Language Group (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNApril 22, 2019
Typical work day busy, full of meetings, phone calls, emails, and not uncommon to fill gaps and do one off projects that are outside of your tradition "scope" of work. It is hard to balance your time, as there is often more work to do than time, but management is understanding and though stressful, kind of nice to be exposed to things outside of normal scope for job experience. I find myself working beyond 40 hours, but the flexibility of work and time helps offset that. I REALLY enjoy the people I work with, they are humanly and personable. Though the work is abundant and sometimes overwhelming, the on-site massages, happy hours, work parties/gatherings with the great people help!
Pros
Happy hours, Co-Workers, Variety of work
Cons
Understaffed, Job Security, 40+ hours
Really nice company to work for.
Bilingual Interpreter (Spanish/English) (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeApril 15, 2019
I really like working for ULG as an over the phone interpreter. Everyone is always so polite and respectful. I work according to my availability making my own schedules. For me it’s very rewarding to be able to help people communicate and I’m grateful for the opportunity they have given me.
Pros
Flexible schedules.
Cons
Payment is once a month.
Low pay no raises
interpreter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2019
they have changed the system and went back to the original one
calls are hard to hear sometimes they break off or have a lot of static
No one to speak to about anything because they never answered. I finally went with other interpreting companies that pay better. I was with them for a year.
Pros
work at home
Cons
low pay no communication with their agents
Awesome place to work!
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 10, 2019
Fast-paced and very open environment. Everyone is friendly and even though the company has on going changes (we grow through M&A), company culture seems to always stay as an environment where everyone has a voice and there is always work to be done. Hard work doesn't go unnoticed and employees receive very good benefits!
Pros
Benefits (PTO), friendly work environment
Cons
Fast-paced (might be cons for some people)
Extremely Poor Management
Greek Interpeter (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCApril 8, 2019
Since the merging it has become extremely disorganized.
Not receiving enough work.
Not allowed to have straight contact with the Management if there is any.
Concerns, questions, payrol mistakes not being addressed.
Very easy job
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 2, 2019
I enjoyed working here because I enjoyed helping people. But in all reality the managers were very unorganized and they definitely had favorites. It was a very easy job and if you enjoy helping people you'll enjoy working there.
Stupid place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 25, 2019
Management sucks. Pay sucks. They play favoritism. And don’t even have well working software. Fast paced. Breaks and lunches were given, sometimes really really late in the shift. We were told to ask to go to the restroom.
Pros
Cons
HR sucks and management plays favoritism
Official response from United Language Group
April 1, 2019

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear about your experience. At ULG, we aim to provide quality services to our customers and a good and friendly work environment to our employees. We regret that your experience does not reflect these values, we believe it is of uttermost importance that our employees feel equally valued and feel fairly compensated for their skills. If you would like to further discuss, please contact us at HRTEAM@ulgroup.com

Work from home- Independent Contractor -Spanish
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 20, 2019
I have been an independent contactor with ULG for about 2 yrs. now

Overall I like having the flexibility of logging in on my own schedule, and being able to work from home.

I don’t have much interaction with management but the few times I’ve communicated with them I’ve noticed that if they are needing something from you like complete an assessment or a test, anything THEY reached out to you for they’ll be responding to your emails quick. But I don’t get a response whenever I reach out first to ask a question, and if they do, they respond with a bit of attitude. So, now I just limit myself to taking calls and get paid.

The pay isn’t bad but they also should implement a change to their pay schedule. A few places I have a contract with started paying twice during a month but ULG pays you on the 15th of the next month. So if you took calls in January you’ll be getting paid on the 15th of February.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
Rude, unresponsive management.
Great extra work
Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 9, 2019
Great job if you want to supplement your income with interpretation.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Poor communication from management
Easy Work, Bad Environment
Call Center Operator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 9, 2019
People drop like flies from the job due to non-competitive pay and management. There are definitely favorite workers who can get away with things that others cannot. They have trouble keeping people at the company because there are better opportunities at other jobs.
Pros
food, co-workers
Cons
management, pay, favoritism
Easy job, too many calls
Call Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAMarch 4, 2019
Too many calls to process, repetitive and it became boring and frustrating after awhile, loud a times and couldn't hear the client. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers.
Pros
Snacks
Cons
Short Breaks, Bathroom we had to asked for permission to use it!
This place left many people without a job
Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 13, 2019
It was called Language Select at first and was a great warm place to work at. Now it is all about who can be replaced for less money.. Once ULG took over people started to get fired left and right.
Pros
Nice Clean Place
Cons
Unfair with a lot of workers
Sinking Ship, Be Careful
Operator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 6, 2019
The company seemed to good to be true, and it was. There were so many nice faces at first. Welcoming people. Now they’ve been fired, and Californians relocated to San Antonio. They are all friends, and whatever you tell one, He’ll tell the other and will take care of only each other. Not the operators or other memebers of staff.
The IT staff is more likely to help you out if anything. This company has been falling apart in San Antonio. They’ve fired management who wasn’t on board with their agenda on how to poorly manage. And have also taken more steps to off anyone who has any kind of say.
The only people willing to set things straight are HR and corporate, who are rarely in the office of SATX. A bunch of young men, and I mean young, are running the show, and there is a lot of controversy and rumors going around about all of them. Be careful when applying. You’ll be fed and pampered. But once on the floor, you’re a sitting duck with a bullseye on your back.
Kiss butt and maybe you’ll skim by. Sure it’s an easy gig, but do anything outside of their bubble and you will be met with heat.
Also, some of the Cali boys are fixated on the girls there. As stated, they are young, so of course hormones come into play. Corporate needs to pop in more and see the nasty and vile behavior these men posses.
A few don’t deserve the positions they hold, and better be careful. We operators are starting to notice more and are ready to go straight to Big HR with this. You have been warned.
Pros
Friendly Faces, Free Snacks, System Failures
Cons
Management, Pay, Gossip, Favoritisms, Harassment
Watch your back
Operator (Current Employee) –  San AntonioJanuary 27, 2019
It was exciting to get a job that was being moved from California but the leaders on site are a mix of people bribed to come from California and some hired in Texas. SEVERAL leaders in San Antonio left or were fired as executives came in from time to time to try to fix the mess. Can’t be done when you transplant a “leader” who gives responsibility based on friendships or romantic favors. Lawsuits are just around the corner.
Pros
Pay - nice work place
Cons
Managers and execs who only take care of butt kissing core group
Stressful, poor management and coordination
Phone Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2019
I had been working as a phone interpreter for Language Select and later changed their company’s name to United Language Group for over six years and I had experienced working at the call center as an operator for a few months. When I first started with Language Select, things went well until it became United Language Group(ULG). In my perspective, they are quite poor in coordinating Interpreters and clients.

Take this incident/complaints for examples:

I recieved a call from ULG about a complaint from a called I interpreted for Social Security Administration and the complaints are: I yelled at an old woman whom I interpreted for and the client stated that I was rude for that reason and also because I said “Oh my goodness” during the interpretation. I did explained what happened but I feel like they keep on pressing and acusing me of yelling without trying to listen to the interpreter to really find out what really happened so we can improve our service.
What really happened? If I remembered correctly, there were two interpreters were requested before me and that dropped it, why? The old woman(non English speaker) has a bad hearing, she simply could not hear and so naturally I tried to speak louder to the point t that I feel burning in my throat and it happens all the time, and the “oh my goodness” is because of that, my throat is burning. Did I dropped the call? No I did not, did I finished the job? Yes absolutely, did the non English speaker complaint? None.

We the interpreter are like soldiers on the front line, we do all the work and then get slap in the face.
  more... We need a good rail road and well mantain in order for the train to run smoothly. Unfortunately after six years of servicing, I felt betrayed and disappointed. I didn’t care much for the money, I chose to stay for more than six years because the type of work to me is quite helpful to others and it’s a direct impact in term of helping others. I did asked them for a raise twice after five years of service and they never response and I never ask them again.

Interpreting over the phone is quite stressful, people would yell and cursed at the interpreter, they can say mean things , people are on speaker phone and often time place their phone a few feet away while talking and even washing dishes and demanding.

This company offer nothing, no benefit whatsoever, none.
Untrustworthy company
Operator/interpreter (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 28, 2018
We were lied to at least twice told the company would not move and our jobs were secured then after denying the company relocation it was announced they would be moving to TX in a short two months. We were offered severance packages with one amount signs for and a much smaller amount when deposited all in all not trustworthy and somewhat shady company.
flexible hours
Court & Phone Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 24, 2018
the schedule works well with me as i have other volunteer activities. i can set up my own schedule. I've learned about the importance of great customer service and to have good listening skills.
Pros
fflexible hours
Cons
not enough hours
Interesting place to work
OPI Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 10, 2018
Have some food, do what you have to do before logging in. Then, get ready for anything!
It is a good place if you like all kinds of calls, no matter the time of day.
You do get paied two weeks after the month you worked for.
For example, if you worked in February, the February money would get to you in mid March.
The hardest part of the job is that sometimes you get rood clients, and sometimes LEP customers and there is nothing you can do about it.
I love the fact I can make a difference in people's lives.
Pros
High call volume, there is work at almost any hour.
Cons
Low pay rate, always need more interpreters.
Contract Project Coordinator
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 10, 2018
They have a clear and concise process in place. Training was thorough and completed in a timely manner in order to begin the contract project work.The team was excellent and an emphasis of communication and tracking was present.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
contract based on project scopes which may be unexpectedly reduced
Fast pace
Liaison Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 8, 2018
Fast paced inbound/outbound calls
Flexible schedules
Management was unstable
Hardest part of the job was trying to get interpreters to log in
Learned how to manage time more efficient/effectively
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Language Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight