United Methodist Children's Home Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great
teacher's aide and tutor (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILJuly 30, 2018
Great place to work. Loved it. No complaints. Good management benefits great meaningful work lots of fun but can be very stressful and hard to manage.
Productive and efficient environment
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ruston, LAJune 27, 2018
There are pros and cons associated with this company. I love how flexible our superiors are with scheduling, also how understanding they are if a mistake is made with valid reasoning. My only complaint would be short breaks, strict rules, and aggressive behavior from youth with no consequences.
Pros
Free meals, flexible schedule/hours, wonderful management.
Cons
Short breaks, job security, aggressive youth
Independent work; in charge of your own schedule, lots of flex time
Family Support Worker (FSW) (Current Employee) –  Crestview, FLFebruary 26, 2018
With the family preservation program at UMCH you work mostly independently from your colleagues. You work from home or the home of your clients. Every day tends to look different than the last.
Pros
Independent work and scheduling, flex time
Cons
Little time to meet with co-workers.
Good hard at times to work with wards of the State
Support Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILJanuary 31, 2018
I loved my job there. The frown upon new ideas when the majority of the youth have been into drugs/alcohol and suggestions about going to 12-step meetings; they want to you to break their anonymity by writing SDSs on what they share in the meetings. That was something that did not feel like anything but a money-grab and not for the well-being of the youth. Because they get paid by the more notes that each staff writes. Some of us, actually felt that was not a proper way to earn the youths trust and initially help them with their problems.
Pros
Working with the youth on a day to day bases.
Cons
Management being more concerned about their pocket books youth that they were to uphold and serve.
Ping Pong
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 10, 2018
This was a very stressful job it requires patience and understanding.
You have to be very polite on this job to the the children as well as staff you have to be able to cook. You have to be a transporter take the kids to their doctors appointment as well as court visits
Pros
Cons
Good benefits
Fun and great place to work for
Recreation Therapist, CTRS (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 15, 2017
A normal work day started with preparing for the kids to come home from school and starting a recreation group with them or helping get them settled in the cottage after school. After groups were over, we would go and prepare the gym for "Teen Center". Teen Center, allowed the residents to have social time after chores and school work was done. The could play basketball, billiards, go to the library, use the computers, or watch television.

While working for UMCH, I learned many things about outdoor recreation, ropes courses, camping, and taking day trips. I also learned how to plan and budget for trips and campus wide events.

The most difficult thing that I faced while working for UMCH was getting use to camping and being in environments that I was not use to. One of the most enjoyable things about my job was, interacting with the residents on a daily basis.
Pros
Flexibility with daily schedule
Cons
Working late hours
Fun working with at risk teens.
Overnight Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAApril 11, 2017
I love working with at risk teens and watching them make changes to better themselves. We had some challenges to get them to think about the future and not just for right now.
Pros
Different shifts available.
Cons
Program can change at any moment.
Fun Workplace
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GaApril 7, 2017
Great place to work, friendly environment with excellent staff... Helps the children in the community and is a great way to give back to the community!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
N/a
Organization is in transition
Unavavailable (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAApril 3, 2017
This organization is unsettled with lots of turnover in the board, management and staff. They do provide important work with a very worthwhile mission and have many dedicated staff members.
Cliques and Law Violations
Assistant Family Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INNovember 22, 2016
This company is not LGBT friendly; they allow staff to bully children based on gender, orientation, and presentation. They violate religious freedom laws, labor laws, HIPPA, and OSHA laws. Full time staff often abuse services in their buildings and punish children needlessly for sport.
Pros
Cons
Not LGBT friendly, violates laws, toxic environment, low pay
Childrens Home
Residential Therapist (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, ILNovember 14, 2016
Great place to work. Great working environment, support of the administration and staff. Its rewarding to work in place that is dedicated to helping displaced youth within the system.
Pros
Rapport
Cons
Low wages
Job requirements
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILJuly 28, 2016
*Provided supervision, crisis stabilization/ management, behavioral management, and clinical treatment in an effort to reduce the mental health disturbance of youth and returning them to a less restrictive setting
*Assisted in promoting and teaching day-to-day skill development in specific focus areas as identified for each client e.g. social skills, self-help, life skills, emotional and physical well-being, and job skill development
Great cause but poor management
Agency Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILMay 16, 2016
Lots of micromanaging by upper administration with poor reward for good service. It's a great organization and cause but burn out rate is high due to lack of support.
fun work activities with youths
Youth Advisor/Residential Supervision (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IL 62864April 7, 2016
great working with young adults showing them basic life skills gettting them ready to be on their own in society , not every youth is the same you have to take a different approach with others. supervisors are there for in all ways , support or just even if you need to talk. People i work with has your back in a crisis situation.The hardest part of the job is when a youth reaches to the point that its time to leave and you have to say goodbye. Enjoyed helping the youths .
Enjoying watching the responses of the teens when exposed to something new
Mentor as well as role model for disturbed youth (Former Employee) –  Crestview, FLDecember 30, 2015
I worked the midnight shift which consisted from 10 pm until 6 am. proved very trying because when I got off work I had to drive to school almost 1hr and half away. enjoyed the job think I took on too much at the same time
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
had to work on holidays and weekends
Productive work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Selma, ALAugust 27, 2015
Very productive work place. I learn how to be a good supervisor. I still keep in touch with my coworkers. The job was not hard, the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children and seeing them graduate from high school

Pros
We worked as a team.
productive
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJuly 12, 2015
Great place to work. clients learned from a great group of staff how to live life. The hardest part of this job was watching it close residential program. Seeing kids today who came through that program and are successful adults today.
terrible place to work for
was an employee (Former Employee) –  mt.vernonMay 2, 2014
I worked for Bright Start as it transitioned from HappTime to Bright Start.After the transition they got rid of almost all of Happy Time staff and told them they just weren't a good fit lol. But they were good enough to train their own staff that had absolutely no idea how to run such a large daycare and from what I have seen and heard still don't. There are absolutely no pros to working for them unless u are Methodist. There is still Happy Time employees working there that are way more educated then the ones they are hiring and still are making less then the new employees.
Pros
Cons
all of the above
noce place to work
General Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 2, 2014
As a former resident of United Methodist Children's Home, one of their core beliefs is that the youth their needed structure and job training. one of their things included assisting the youth have work experience. The would see if you were a good candidate to work on their work program and which department would be best for you. A typical workday normally occurred on Mondays and Wednesday unless otherwise specified from 330-445 pm or unless they also changed the work hours
Pros
pretty cool place to work
Cons
no healthcare a worker who stayed there
Excellent program for at risk youth
Alternate Teaching Parent (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 19, 2014
I enjoyed my job although it was highly stressful. My colleagues were commited to working with at risk youth.
Pros
great work
Cons
poor compensation