United Nations Foundation Employee Reviews

Productive friendly welcoming work environment
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2019
The work environment was a comfortable. All of the staff was very welcoming. Each staff members treated one another as if they were family members which was super impressive.
Great experience
N/A (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2019
Quality programming and growth opportunities for those that seek out. Great exposure to UN programs and transparency from the top down makes it a great environment and workplace.
Great environment and diverse.
Information Technology Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2018
As an intern, the experience and opportunity to learn was great. I enjoyed working with my team. No micromanagement. The hardest part of the job was commuting back and forth. As a recent graduate it was hard working part-time at two jobs just to afford to commute to UNF. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience and the friendliness of the team I worked with. Internships at UNF are unpaid and provide no compensation.
Good Starting Point
Senior staff accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2018
Good place to start but there is very little room for advancement. The foundation generally looks out for its image more than the people that work there.
Pros
Lots to learn. Many initiatives and departments
Cons
Poor management, lack of career growth and advancement, compensation is well below industry average.
Great experience
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
While working here I learned how to efficiently use Microsoft Office which included sending emails, scheduling appointments and updating calendars. Best manager I ever had.
be besties to get ahead
n/a (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 25, 2018
tattle tale environment, middle school type vibe. there are many nice people but there are also many people that actively try to keep people from getting ahead. a great start to a career but no where you want to be longer than you have to
Pros
extra time off throughout year
Cons
poor management
some music
Advisory Consultant (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeJanuary 19, 2018
We do good work. Countries are more at peace, healthcare is better worldwide, more disaster relief is available, with help from UNICEF and the U.N. I provided information to help with thirst and hunger.
Pros
It brings joy helping others
Cons
stress
Dedicated coworkers working towards great causes
Associate, Technology and Analysis (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
Great place to work for people looking to make a difference in the world. I would highly recommend this place to anyone with an interest in International Development and/or Public Policy.
Work /life balance
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 14, 2017
My only comment would be that you need to be prepared to personal you personal life on the back burner. Great place to work straight out of college. Most people burn out with in 2 years
Productive, engaging, and collaborative workplace
Grassroots Engagement Intern, Shot@Life (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 16, 2017
Good work-life balance, collaborative and uplifting work environment, and great employees that are genuinely passionate about their work. As an intern, my colleagues made sure to treat me as an equal and cared about seeing my succeed.
Good work culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington ,D.CJune 7, 2017
UNF is a great place to work at. You get to be part of a wonderful team that works hard towards a better tomorrow. Its all about betterment of human condition worldwide.
United Nations Foundation
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 10, 2017
United Nations Foundation partners with the United Nations on goals that benefit many countries. We have many campaigns that is rewarding. I feel that although I am not a team member for an individual campaign I still contribute by processing payments for the work to be done.
Pros
I work with a team of team players.
Very Mission Driven
Head of Executive Office (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2017
The UN Foundation is a great place to work. Young staff are given lots of responsibility to grow and run with their ideas. Senior Management have an open door policy.
High-profile organization with great potential
Director, Energy Access Initiative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2017
Opportunity to work with leading organizations and experts in the sector. Access to the United Nations. Smart and committed staff but lack of clear opportunities for professional growth.
hard working, motivated coworkers
Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2016
Everyone at UNF is passionate about the work that they do, which means that it is motivating to go to work every day. My coworkers are ambitious, which brings out the best in you, but it also means that there are often challenges to have a good work-life balance.
Great benefits and flexibility to telecommute
Executive Director, Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2016
Friendly environment, great office space, flexibility to telecommute once in a while and great benefits. Opportunities for growth and great benefits.
Pros
Extra days off, happy hours
Cons
Very fast paced
Terrific organization with flexiblity to work on interesting and timely substantive issues
Senior officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 29, 2015
Staff is professional, smart, and friendly. Only drawback seems to be lack of professional advancement opportunities after a certain period.
Pros
Great staff, co-workers, ability to work on meaningful issues
Cons
lack of advancement, job security given funding arrangements
The most prestigious job I ever had!!
Public Affairs Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2015
A typical day at work involved a lot of reading and knowledge of United Nation's materials.

I learned to humble myself and have a professional mind and look at all times.

The management was new (as well as the agency) and had many flaws to iron out.

My co-workers were very pleasant and diverse.

The hardest part of my job was keeping up with the key-log.

The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting people like the owner, Ted Turner.
Pros
Free luncheons, meeting celebrities
Cons
new company, not very organized
Unique and interesting workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
There is no such thing as a typical day at work. Every day was a new challenge and a new set of opportunities. However, having the opportunity to work on creating the innovation program from the ground up, allowed me experience what life is like on so many different teams and what their respective roles are (ranging from partnership to strategy).

On the one hand, this organization is undergoing much restructuring and the senior management seems a bit disconnected from the junior staff. On the other hand, as people, the management are genuine people who make an effort to get to know you and sharpen your skills.

My co-workers were absolutely wonderful. I was always impressed with what they brought to the table. There was somewhat of a feeling at times, though, that we get paid to work together, not to be friends.

The hardest part of my job was managing conflicting and strong personalities. Because I was worked externally and internally, it was often difficult to translate between the two as well as meet expectations. This is where I think I made the most progress and learned the most.

All in all, a great place to work. I would definitely recommend this as a positive experience in my life and one that is fulfilling on both professional and personal levels.
Pros
Great learning opportunities, exposure to senior level external people, good benefits package
Cons
Limited opportunity for growth, senior management disconnect, financial instability as an org
Great mission, culture, opportunity
Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2014
a great institution, top notch. less political and management enhancement needed to sustain

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

United Nations Foundation Reviews by Location