United Nations Employee Reviews

Productive work place
Contract Management (Procurement) Assistant (Former Employee) –  GOMA NORTH KIVU/D.R.CSeptember 22, 2018
I learned more from my colleagues and UN paid for Procurement and Supply chain courses that I studied for. I learned English and I was certified as well.
Productive and Competitive
Permanent Observer Mission of the OIC (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Great Experience, ready for the future. I've learned to look beyond the scope of what traditional education has taught. The most enjoyable part of the job was the diversity
Enjoyed the variety in my day to day work experience.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
Working in an international environment, I learned to adapt to different cultures, languages, individual differences and beliefs. I started as a clerk typist then progressed to different aspects of the UN's operations - from Public Information to Peacekeeping Operations. The UN provided training to staff members ranging from character building, to languages, security in the field, and all software programmes introduced in the work place. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist the staff members under my care in all their personnel moves as well as finding resolution to any personnel-related problems they may encounter, i.e., overlooked entitlements, etc. I have been lucky to having worked under good managers and supervisors who gave me the freedom to work with very little supervision. This allowed me to enjoy my day to day work and fully develop my initiative to do better. The only con I can think of is the occasional encounter with difficult staff members, but this is minimal.
Productive and multi-cultural place to work
PMO Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Productive and multi-cultural place to work. There are many projects going on at the UN simultaneously. People from all over the world work here. Very smart people.
Lead Project Manager / Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2018
Thank you for the opportunity.
Great to understand cultural differences.
Advancements are there.
Met great people along the way.
Thank you again for the opportunity.
Very competitive, but if you get a full-time job, very worth it.
Speech Writing Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
As an intern, you are expected to work hard, long hours and with no pay compensation in New York City. It is overly competitive, but worth it if you are offered a full-time position afterward.
Ambiente multicultural ameno y respetuoso professional and client oriented.
BOI Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2018
Fully excersize of own responsibility, with minimum supervision, clear targets and work Plan with well defined deadlines and programmed sequence of achievements.
The frame of work is truly friendly and trying always to materialize in facts the principle of Team work. However there are difficulties when security corcerns are not duly afforded or faced adequately.
The Administration always do the best efforts to keep the highest level of security for personel, both Nationals & Internationals and property.
I did always as Manager, what I liked, for what I was prepeared,equiped and trained: to serve, to the best of my habilities, capacities, honestly, to those who were in need.
Pros
The possibility for develops your capacities responsibly within a legal frame clearly defined.
Cons
Some UN Missions classified as "Non family" which implies to be posted alone, without family's members.
excellent, exciting, interest, educational place i have ever been
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  variedAugust 1, 2018
varied depending on department I work in. Unending interesting learning at your finger tips. Management at you own opportunity. Workplace culture excellent. There was nothing hard about working there. Everything was interesting.
Pros
every pro
Cons
no cons
Wonderful global environment with a lot of political influence and super diverse
Assistant to the Ecuadorian Ambassador to the UN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2018
While working at the Permanent Mission you were very much involved as well as national affairs from your native country, but also immerse in the global reality of the UN.

there was not much workplace culture that could last in the long term due to most of the personnel were diplomats who rotate their base location.

I enjoyed very much learning about global affairs, interacting with diplomats and high-level representatives from around the world and of course representing a part of the Latino culture
work was exhausting and security was greatly laxing
Program Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  South SudanJuly 25, 2018
wonderful people, fulfilling job expectations, a bit disconnected between the field and Copenhagen which led to much frustration. The woman were treated as second class citizens on my job site
Pros
loved the work
Cons
atmosphere was of the 1950 for women
productive
Telecomms Technician (Current Employee) –  South SudanJuly 20, 2018
maximum social activities, better living conditions, community of diversity, knowledge sharing experience.
good traveling allowances, travel health insurance.
Fun Place
Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2018
I work for the a specific envoy who is quite nice. I like the environment it is very international. I also like that we were give responsibility which helped me improve.
Challenging diversified environment
Law Enforcement Officer/SECURITY (Former Employee) –  Darful-SudanJuly 4, 2018
Working in Darful was wonderful because various nationality were working together to achieve a common goal of lasting peace solutions. I learned skills of professionalism and unity. The structures were well set which facilitated easy professional management. The job specifications and roles allowed professionalism as well as transparency and accountability. The work place culture allowed tolerance of diversity and dynamism of various national interests. The hardest part was when other stakeholders never showed commitment towards the resolutions. The most enjoyable part was when I completed the mission.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Slowness
The best development organisation in the world.
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York StateJune 30, 2018
A great learning opportunity to work with international leaders and to study the policy-making procedures in an international organization. Exposure and value of the internship programme is excellent for any graduate student.
Mock UN conference for High schoolers
Volunteer and Leadership (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 30, 2018
Opportunity to study a countries policies and trials/ challenges. Good way to make new acquaintances and work in a group to come to agreement on solutions to world problems.
Pros
challenging and intellectually stimulating
Nice to work
Regional Communications and Marketing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Provincia de PanamáJune 26, 2018
Mission driven, interesting and meaningful work, partnering with finest organizations, learning international diplomacy, exposure to international policy making and negotiations
Great
MANAGER OF DISTRIBUTION (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2018
Great place to work high pace. - Develop and implement new logistics processes while monitoring progress of major shipments to ensure receipt.
Review and approve purchase orders ensuring inventory and stock maintains optimal levels.
Collaborate with marketing executives to ensure that new products reach the right markets at the ideal time.
Determine what goods sell best to commercial businesses and consumers.Foster strong relationships through communication of clients’ needs and production demands and distributions.
Diversity, travel... bleak management
17 years at the UN (Former Employee) –  Geneva, New York, Valencis (ES)June 15, 2018
People are either one of the rising stars or among the resigned. It seems that unless you catch the eye of a decision-maker, you languish; further, that sometimes (not always), the rising stars don't deserve the recognition. Still, I've made friends with many different people in several parts of the world and lived medium-term in a few of them. No regrets!
Pros
New people, new places
Cons
Bureaucracy is real
Overall fantastic
Multimedia Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
Worked and collaborated extensively on intricate projects and wrote and produced stories that served the humanitarian and peacekeeping efforts at the UN.
Where Dreams Go to Die
Staff Assistant, United Nations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
People walk into the UN all bright eyed and bushy tailed but leave demoralized and confused. This place is slow, old, and is like trying to sharpen a knife with a sponge. Words cannot do justice to the frustration and lack of motivation you'll have working here.

You don't make a difference here because you cannot change anything. All the policies and rules are written but out of touch managers from over 30-40 years ago, and to change them you need to wait once a year for the General Assembly to possibly OK it, but that never happens without the GA putting their mark on it even though they have no knowledge or expertise on the subject.

You've never encountered more inept and inefficient people in your life.

Don't work here. Trust me. If it wasn't for the pay and the benefits only 10 people would probably be working for the UN.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Time Off
Cons
Bureaucratic Nightmare, Inefficient Staff, Cast System

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

See reviews about

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss