United Nations Employee Reviews

Diversity, travel... bleak management
17 years at the UN (Former Employee) –  Geneva, New York, Valencis (ES)June 15, 2018
People are either one of the rising stars or among the resigned. It seems that unless you catch the eye of a decision-maker, you languish; further, that sometimes (not always), the rising stars don't deserve the recognition. Still, I've made friends with many different people in several parts of the world and lived medium-term in a few of them. No regrets!
Pros
New people, new places
Cons
Bureaucracy is real
Overall fantastic
Multimedia Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
Worked and collaborated extensively on intricate projects and wrote and produced stories that served the humanitarian and peacekeeping efforts at the UN.
Where Dreams Go to Die
Staff Assistant, United Nations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
People walk into the UN all bright eyed and bushy tailed but leave demoralized and confused. This place is slow, old, and is like trying to sharpen a knife with a sponge. Words cannot do justice to the frustration and lack of motivation you'll have working here.

You don't make a difference here because you cannot change anything. All the policies and rules are written but out of touch managers from over 30-40 years ago, and to change them you need to wait once a year for the General Assembly to possibly OK it, but that never happens without the GA putting their mark on it even though they have no knowledge or expertise on the subject.

You've never encountered more inept and inefficient people in your life.

Don't work here. Trust me. If it wasn't for the pay and the benefits only 10 people would probably be working for the UN.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Time Off
Cons
Bureaucratic Nightmare, Inefficient Staff, Cast System
Excellent work place!
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  New YorkJune 6, 2018
The organization is designed so that the growth of the personnel is continuous and the possibilities of development are contemplated. I love working at UN, because my contract allows me to have full availability for professional development in other jobs
Exceptional internship
Non-Profit Management Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2018
The United Nations opens its doors to graduate student interns from across the globe. It is an excellent introduction to the various jobs available in the international development field.
My internship Experience at the United Nations
Information Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2018
My experience working with the UN was amazing as there were various aspects like professionalism, global exposure, relevance to my academics, complex challenges, etc. which contributed to improving my personality both technically and individually. It was a delightful experience which justified, why the organization is called UNITED nations, as people from different countries embrace each other’s nationalities & differences, and work together with a prime goal to maintain peace worldwide.
Interesting, challenging and stressful.
Receiving and Inspection Assistant (Former Employee) –  SudanMay 22, 2018
Working with multinationals in multi-cultural environment. Alert 24/7 to face any unforeseen situation. Should stay fit to work in all kind of weather include dessert and dry land. Should able to manage with stressful situation and ready to carry multiple task. However working in United Nations will prepare to accept and compete for any type of physical and mental work.
Pros
7 days R&R paid off.
Cons
Hazards place.
great experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2018
a very fast paced work flow but it was a great experience
i learned almost everything in the UN
great management work place
the most enjoyable part was learning more about politics
N/a
Senior administrative officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2018
Good work experience and employer, challenging work environment, interesting. Good management, overall high appreciation for the work done. I highly recommend it
great place
Program management intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2018
lots to learn about. different events constantly going on. A good place to be as there are many career options for one to branch off in. Just have to know the branches.
A unique opportunity
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2018
I enjoyed my time at the UN. It was truly a unique experience, where I got to learn new things and meet new people. I had the opportunity to work on fun projects
Insightful internship tenure
Public Information Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2018
United Nations is a great place for an insight into policy and international relations. As a workplace, it might be relatively slow because of bureaucratic red tapping. But, in my opinion an organization this big might face those difficulties anyways. I had the opportunity to work with a highly motivated team and it was an extremely insightful internship for me.
Opportunity to work with people from many cultures
Technical Writer / Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 15, 2018
The United Nations provided the opportunity to work with people from a wide variety of cultures which made for easy learning opportunities. I met people from India, China, Mexico, Russia, the Philippines, Romania, Croatia, etc.
Pros
Lots of nice people
Cons
Low salary
productivity
DEMO. REP. CONGO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
-Working in United Nations Systems, requires a dynamism, a flexibility and kindness. It en environmental were peoples are so connected and more for it
Pros
Free Breakfast
Cons
short break
custermers was okay, employers was not good
Elevator Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
very hostital environment. I wasn't treated well. Not enough break time. Everyone wants to be your boss. lack of communication. Schedules are not set up right . I you are on call , you have to be there in one hour.
A gigantic bureaucracy. Has many challenges as an international organization dealing with many international issues. A very stable and established wor
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  New York StateApril 7, 2018
Since I was more interested in business, I did not find this bureaucratic entity as attractive. However, I did learn a lot about organizational issues and politics as well as brushing up my English during my tenure.
I left the UN to obtain my MBA at the Harvard Business School.
Each day was a day for learning and challenges which I generally ended in a new drive to achieve the mandate of the agency.
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Addis AbabaApril 6, 2018
Given the extensive nature of portfolios that UN interventions cover across countries and regions, a typical work day at the UN can only depend on the specific assignment of each staff, his/her supervisor and sometimes on the security level of each duty station.
In my case, my work consisted of facilitating understanding of the goals and activities of the agency externally with partners; and internally to ensure that all team members are working in the same direction, towards the attainment of our mission goal and objectives.
Since my assignments cut across different work streams, they offered me the opportunity to understand the linkages between academics, research, policy formulation and implementation of research results, through partners. Without that deep understanding, it would have been impossible to produce all the communication and advocacy tools that helped to place our mandate in the forefront of Africa's development agenda within a very short time. I could count on the patience and collaboration of my colleagues to deconstruct highly technical concepts into the easily understandable language that was necessary for my communication and advocacy products such as newsletters, video clips, advocacy dialogues, etc.
None of these would have been possible without the support of management and positive work culture and professional leadership that it had instilled in the agency. Every discussion, no matter how lively it went on, always ended in a consensus position, to which everybody adhered.
Something that I learned, albeit the hard way, is that at the UN, once you show
  more... that you want to draft texts, most writing assignments would invariably be sent to you. Sometimes, concept notes, draft reports, and general texts from different sections required a lot of time, after work or during weekends to draft. In hindsight, I enjoy it because of the depth which that helped me to gain in the different perspectives of our mandate.
Oh, coffee breaks! I miss them... not just because I like coffee, but because of the opportunities that those breaks provided to break from long speeches at UN meetings. I came to realize that many people are either shy or do not generally speak out at formal meeting settings. During the breaks, they speak and speak. I often took notes for future insights.
A good employer with good benfeits and diverse cultures working together. You want to bring change , improve processes? a little disappointing
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2018
The United Nations headquarters is busy with several high level events taking place each day thus requiring enhanced security posture throughout the day.

I learned to work with diverse teams, different cultures, and client orientation. Management at the UN is bureaucratic and sometimes rigid thus calling for a deep understanding of organization rules and procedure to get the job done.The work culture is collaborative and anchored on three core values: Integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity.

The hardest part of the job is the many hours of work during high level meetings and visits by world leaders, sensitivity and high expectations on performance. On the other hand, I enjoy flying first class for assignments overseas, working with diplomats from across the globe and meeting world leaders as well as working with colleagues from different parts of the world.
Pros
Fully paid airfare, room and board for assignments out of Headquarters
AMUN is not the UN
Member of Secretariat (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
AMUN is a volunteer organization. It's absolutely worth the effort put into the organization. Members of Secretariat are recruited exclusively from the students attending the conference.
Great Cultural Experience
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2018
Great place to work and lot of different cultures to learn from. Depending on which department you work for management is good to their employees and usually very fair.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.