United Nations Employee Reviews

The Mission to Un.
Communications (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2019
Is difficult work for Diplomats and the job is demanding I always was very good at it.
The environment unfortunately is not good.
What is good is the medical insurance.
Pros
Insurance
Excellent organization. It is an organization where staff get satisfied for the service they deliver to the world.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2019
By working at the UN one can fulfill the desire of helping others during natural disaster or any emergencies in the world that affects human life specially children
Hard work and creativity with fun for all frequently event and meeting we have
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2019
-learn how to face people with different position of level
-event and meeting knowledgeable for setup
-learn more detail and try to creative
-learn how to problem solve, self starter, manage and time manner
-learn how responsibble with all Distribution provide
Productive and respect to staff
National Human Rights Officer (Former Employee) –  DaikundiJanuary 15, 2019
My duty was to monitor detention facilities, improve women’s rights, child rights and working with government on transational Justice. Also I was supervising the team and providing reports of activities to head of office
Pros
Gym
Cons
Healthcare
Not Fun
Internship (Former Employee) –  kosovoJanuary 9, 2019
My boss was never available to help with anything so I had to just assume how things work and try my best at figuring things out. We worked long hours every week and then got nothing in the end to show for it.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
lack of activity
mail room representivie (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 2, 2019
it has a very slow pace working environment but when you get the ail we get busy and travel from floor to floor and building to building but it is really a slow pace job
Pros
non
Cons
everything
The United Nations services are very vital for the safety of human kind.
Property Records Custodian (Former Employee) –  United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017December 21, 2018
The United Nations is a peace organization whose services to human being can never be measured. Without the United Nations, there will be wars within and between the nations of the world. Many nations would like to interfere in the internal affairs of other nations, and others would like to enrich themselves with the economies of others.
Pros
On the whole, nations disagree to agree.
Cons
Pro-longed debates which sometimes hamper immediate actions.
Productive and Collaborative Environment
Economic Affairs Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2018
Productive and Collaborative Environment. Amazing co-workers, unparalleled experience. The best thing about working at the UN is the job satisfaction,
Please
Media Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2018
This is your one-stop point to keep a close eye on the schedule, and indirectly handle any issues related to scope, time, resources and cost.
RAID (for risk management). This ensures that you (and your stakeholders) are adequately prepared for any potential surprises that can take the project off-course. You are also empowered to catch these surprises and address them in time.
Communication with strong people management. As a manager, you will have a lot to communicate with your stakeholders, good and bad. You will also need to draw the unanimous support of cross-functional teams, sometimes with conflicting goals (the classic development versus testing paradigm). An assertive communication style with strong people management skills can help you stay on top of the game, and your project. You can cite examples of good status updates, email communication, meeting agendas, etc. to illustrate this.
Overall, a great place to work
Statistician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 27, 2018
I've worked in the UN in a range of roles in several countries and in several departments, and overall I find the work incredibly rewarding and colleagues talented, friendly and incredibly diverse. An adventure like no other--in one role, you get to engage in fascinating technical work with colleagues from universities and institutions from around the globe; in another, you're travelling, giving talks and presentations at events in locations you never thought you'd travel to. Small perks you'd never imagine in other locations: diplomatic identification in many field duty stations, very generous tax benefits through special treaties with every country.

Though like any large institution, what matters most is the job fit and the match with the managerial environment and a sense of derived value from the work you do. This is not always automatic, and a bad match can have detrimental aspects on your career. It would be unwise to simply join because you want to be in the UN. If you dislike your job, or you find your supervisor intolerable, the fact that you work in the UN will be of little consolation to you. I've been lucky and have had roles where I've been challenged and supported by my supervisors in beneficial ways; yet I've known many talented individuals who have resigned and taken substantial pay reductions simply due to what can be called a poor interpersonal match with their supervisors or the job itself.

The institution is changing: though never rapid, the pace of incremental change is relentless and generally positive. You generally drive your own professional development,
  more... though your supervisors can support and guide you in this. There has been no free food in any of the locations I've been to--no bean bags, though we do have recreation rooms and good staff facilities. The decor is often spartan and minimalist, and occasionally dated, depending on the office you're in. It is not unusual to be the only person from your home country on a small team. You may find that, despite years of international travel and your high school exchange to Spain, that cross-cultural work environments are as challenging as they are rewarding. The institution is governed by a series of rules that can often impose seemingly arbitrary (unintended) constraints on the way you do your job, and resolving these even with the most results-driven, organization-first logic can prove maddeningly adversarial. But overall if you're a good match for a vacancy with a strong, self-driven work ethic and the behavioral competencies to thrive in a very diverse environment, and a friendly attitude that is not easily discouraged, then the UN may be an excellent match.  less
Pros
Generous tax reimbursement scheme, rental subsidy, diplomatic identification in many duty stations, excellent pension, possibility of "tenure"-style appointments, excellent work life balance and pay
Cons
Very little free stuff (no free coffee, lunches), large bureaucracy focused on rules over results by definition
Outstanding Experience
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2018
Very professional and productive place to work. One of the things which attracted me to this profession is the variety enjoyed by working across numerous industries with numerous clients and the opportunity to make a real impact in shaping these industries.
Its a great opportunity and it has many advantages from working there such as vacation pay, you have 401k you have promotions available.
Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 17, 2018
Working at the United Nations was a great opportunity for me. I got to meet different people from different countries. I also had the pleasure of meeting President Obama.
Limited growth, especially for those with education hired locally
Desktop Publishing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2018
The organization is political and as such is not a meritocracy. Too much dead wood in the organization. The entitled class rises fast through the ranks and abuse their power, sometimes to appease their bosses. It's a subservient culture.
Pros
generous vacation
Cons
toxic work environment in many departments; lack of fairness
I was wowed working there
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
Cooking for the heads of different country of the world, I have learned skills that improved my professional viewpoint in receipt from every nation on the planet, my compassion and respect for other culture have put me on a higher level in flavor influencing from peeking at other national palets. But 911 happen and I was station, in the heart of "ground zero", training disaster relief workers from parts of our nation, updated them on new york city food sanitation procedures.
Pros
I loved new assighment
Cons
Sometime I did not go home, All the comfort of home was giving by the salvation army.
Productive and political
Administrator for Nonprofit Organizations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
Unpredictable
Lack of motivation because management could use some improvements
Most colleagues are very friendly and some are quiet in their daily routines
graduate internship
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
planned meetings, programs, answered emails, coordinated with other interns, attended meetings at the HQ in NYC listened to presentations and wrote reports.
Great organization
Information Technology Analyst/ Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2018
This is a great organization who offers amazing benefits to all employees. The work lifestyle is also great with amazing colleagues that encourages you to strive for the best.
Excellent employment place
Conference Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2018
Excellent co-workers, job culture and management is supportive, approachable and easy to work with. Compensation and benefits are comparable to the best-paid companies in the country. I enjoyed my time working at the United Nations. A typical workday is full of challenges; meeting interesting personalities and dignitaries and making split-second decisions on very important issues.
Interesting work
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2018
People need reasons to communicate, and you will find it at the UN.
Interesting people to work with and round. Building has a great view, if you live in the neighborhood that is a pro.
Pros
The view
Cons
The travel
Was a volunteer event
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 18, 2018
This event is hosted once a year at Florida Gulf Coast and I helped to keep the event running smoothly. I brought papers all over campus to prevent the leaders from having to leave the rooms
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss