United Nations Employee Reviews

I was wowed working there
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
Cooking for the heads of different country of the world, I have learned skills that improved my professional viewpoint in receipt from every nation on the planet, my compassion and respect for other culture have put me on a higher level in flavor influencing from peeking at other national palets. But 911 happen and I was station, in the heart of "ground zero", training disaster relief workers from parts of our nation, updated them on new york city food sanitation procedures.
Pros
I loved new assighment
Cons
Sometime I did not go home, All the comfort of home was giving by the salvation army.
Productive and political
Administrator for Nonprofit Organizations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
Unpredictable
Lack of motivation because management could use some improvements
Most colleagues are very friendly and some are quiet in their daily routines
graduate internship
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
planned meetings, programs, answered emails, coordinated with other interns, attended meetings at the HQ in NYC listened to presentations and wrote reports.
Great organization
Information Technology Analyst/ Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2018
This is a great organization who offers amazing benefits to all employees. The work lifestyle is also great with amazing colleagues that encourages you to strive for the best.
Excellent employment place
Conference Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2018
Excellent co-workers, job culture and management is supportive, approachable and easy to work with. Compensation and benefits are comparable to the best-paid companies in the country. I enjoyed my time working at the United Nations. A typical workday is full of challenges; meeting interesting personalities and dignitaries and making split-second decisions on very important issues.
Interesting work
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2018
People need reasons to communicate, and you will find it at the UN.
Interesting people to work with and round. Building has a great view, if you live in the neighborhood that is a pro.
Pros
The view
Cons
The travel
Was a volunteer event
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 18, 2018
This event is hosted once a year at Florida Gulf Coast and I helped to keep the event running smoothly. I brought papers all over campus to prevent the leaders from having to leave the rooms
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
N/a
fast paced work environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2018
-Researched using the United Nations resolutions database for Sustainable Development, Climate Change, and Human Rights
-Attended various meetings and took notes on topics
Experience at United Nations
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2018
The United Nations is a fantastic and exciting place to work.
There is the opportunity to move from one job to another i.e. different fields of employment.
There is the opportunity to work with people from all over the work and meet with movie stars who are ambassadors for the U.N. and UNICEF.
You also meet many heads of States and get to be present for meetings where the futures of various countries is being discussed.
Then for those who want to go further, you could apply to go on missions all over the world as well as be transferred to other U.N. offices all the world.
There really is no hard part of working in the U.N. As long as you are a hard and dedicated worker, it should be fine. When there is the General Assembly meetings the security is extremely tight because of the presence of world leaders.
Management differs from office to office but in general if you are prepared to work hard and put in the extra mile, everything is fine. Work colleagues are generally good but there Is no real time for associating with colleagues on the job because of the volume of work.
However there are special occasions for assembling informally and staff enjoy those when they occur.
This organization is truly an international one and its name really describes the organization - United Nations.
Pros
health benefits and pension packages
Daily duties
Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2018
My work day at the United Nations varied quite often, however, the majority consists of personal protection for dignitaries, managing a team of 6+ personnel, conducting route assessments, monitoring CCTV, maintaining dignitary schedules, ensuring that equipment is operational, coordinating with security personnel at visiting sites, completing daily reports and movements. I have learned the importance of professionalism and customer satisfaction. Additionally, my ability to understand and adapt with different cultures and language barriers within the United Nations.

The most challenging part of the job is the language barrier and hardship environments. My limited knowledge in foreign languages and the security personnel that I worked with having a minimal knowledge of English. Thus, causing difficulty in communications, however, I made it a point to learn important words in the specific language and to communicate effectively by actions. At times, being deployed in areas that require a strong mentality and harsh environments would take a small amount of time to adjust and adapt. Nonetheless, these cases make you stronger and more effective in decision making and appreciating what you have.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the challenge of working with the various cultures and nationalities. Furthermore, the excitement of traveling and learning different techniques from the International staff that I worked with. And, the experience of working in a team environment. I have thoroughly enjoyed working in the various environments and the opportunities the United Nations
  more... has offered me. It is an honor and privilege to work with such a prestigious organization.  less
Pros
variety, excitement, opportunity, teamwork, integrity
Cons
language barriers and at times hardship environments
Excellent organization to work in
INTERN AT FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORANISATIONS (Former Employee) –  pakistanOctober 8, 2018
Constant growth, change, and upward momentum. Working for this company has helped develop my professional business skills as well as my personal life.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
General office environment in an international environment. Must have basic knowledge of office procedure and must follow line of hierarchy. A pleasant place to work.
challenging work that required a lot of reading, writing and public speaking.
First Secretary and Charge D' Affaires (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
I tasked with covering three major United Nations: Economic, Social and Security. One day I could speak at the United Nations Convention on the Law of the sea, and the next participated in the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space.

I enjoyed representing my country to the United Nations and found it very challenging to make other nations understand our position on many matters.

I came, however, away with an appreciation of the difficulties countries have in reaching consensus.
Pros
You are constantly learning about international issues.
Cons
Not enough time to be at every meeting and negotiation..
Great mission and good feeling to work for such an organization
Security/Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  SudanSeptember 24, 2018
I have been working at UNDP full-time (More than 3 years)

International working environment
Excellent benefits and Administration
Working on core development issues
Productive work place
Contract Management (Procurement) Assistant (Former Employee) –  GOMA NORTH KIVU/D.R.CSeptember 22, 2018
I learned more from my colleagues and UN paid for Procurement and Supply chain courses that I studied for. I learned English and I was certified as well.
Productive and Competitive
Permanent Observer Mission of the OIC (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Great Experience, ready for the future. I've learned to look beyond the scope of what traditional education has taught. The most enjoyable part of the job was the diversity
Enjoyed the variety in my day to day work experience.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
Working in an international environment, I learned to adapt to different cultures, languages, individual differences and beliefs. I started as a clerk typist then progressed to different aspects of the UN's operations - from Public Information to Peacekeeping Operations. The UN provided training to staff members ranging from character building, to languages, security in the field, and all software programmes introduced in the work place. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist the staff members under my care in all their personnel moves as well as finding resolution to any personnel-related problems they may encounter, i.e., overlooked entitlements, etc. I have been lucky to having worked under good managers and supervisors who gave me the freedom to work with very little supervision. This allowed me to enjoy my day to day work and fully develop my initiative to do better. The only con I can think of is the occasional encounter with difficult staff members, but this is minimal.
Productive and multi-cultural place to work
PMO Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2018
Productive and multi-cultural place to work. There are many projects going on at the UN simultaneously. People from all over the world work here. Very smart people.
Lead Project Manager / Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2018
Thank you for the opportunity.
Great to understand cultural differences.
Advancements are there.
Met great people along the way.
Thank you again for the opportunity.
Very competitive, but if you get a full-time job, very worth it.
Speech Writing Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
As an intern, you are expected to work hard, long hours and with no pay compensation in New York City. It is overly competitive, but worth it if you are offered a full-time position afterward.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss