United Petroleum Transports Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
excellent employer
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 2, 2018
Great place to work and well compensated.
I was given freedom to perform my job in an effective way without anyone standing over my shoulder and second guessing my every move.
Favoritism
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 6, 2018
They only give the best loads to their favorites. Something is going on involving free beach accommodation for management and distribution of the best loads....
Pros
Cons
Unreliable work. Feast or Famine
Family oriented place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 30, 2018
United Petroleum Transports was a 24/7, 365 company. Very family oriented, Working with the drivers and fleet mangers/dispatchers was a pleasure. My direct supervisor/center manager was a wealth of knowledge, and always willing to share it with me. The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure the drivers and customers were happy. UPT believes that the internal customer is as important as the external customer.
Pros
Benefits and celebration of holidays
Cons
Being on call 24/7, 365
Not good
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 7, 2017
look i really have not a good input on the company the company it self runs on its own with a manager who is never there and has everyone else doing his work for the pay that we get, customers are never happy and well as the employees are never getting paid on a timely matter and also some of are employees hardly have work due to hardly any work for them and i can go on and on and it is not worth saying any thing else
Horrible benefit package and equipment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 18, 2017
This has been one of the worst companies i have ever worked at when it comes to benefits and equipment. I don't know who is making the decisions around there but just may be they should talk to their drivers and get input from all their employees. Instead the upper management would rather keep locked doors separating themselves from the employees and driver. Maybe that because they know how unhappy the people are around there. It didn't take long for me to realize that I need to start looking at other companies to work for
Cons
Heathcare benefits, equipment, and the culture around there
Productive and fun place to be apart of
Admin Asst. (Former Employee) –  Del City, OKJuly 13, 2017
Great place to be apart. Great people to be around. Very laid back. I would def recommend this place to anyone. Its to bad they were making changes to the company.
It doesn't get much worse.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 16, 2017
Pay; reality here, even if you are an experienced driver, pay is under $600 a week net after benefits. This is with an average of 10 hour days, 5 days a week.
Equipment; The trucks and trailers are complete junk. If I go 5 days without breaking down, I call that a good week. Trucks are old, beat up, and none of them should be on the road. There are times have to wait a week or more just to get a tire replaced, due to the fact the company shop goes past their budget, and doesn't have the money to make repairs or replace bad tires. When your truck is down, it is mandatory that you use any available truck on the yard. The problem I found with this, is most, if not all of the trucks are not mechanically sound.
Dispatch; dispatch is easy to deal with, and normally don't have a problem with them.
Management; management is non-existent here. If you need something done, or have a question dispatch can't help you with, you are completely out of luck and on your own. When you are able to see management, every answer to any question is, "I don't know." When it comes to loads, the new people get the worst they have to offer. They are on the buddy plan here, and their favorites get the decent loads, while you are averaging $10-$15 an hour.
Overall, this is by far, the worst trucking job I've ever had. Lowest pay, and the worst equipment.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, bad equipment
Family oriented
Billing Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 5, 2017
This company is family oriented and family owned. Everyone knows everyone else. Very friendly atmosphere. Great place to start any entry level position.
Unexpected closing
Crude Oil Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK 73129May 5, 2017
UPT notified all Ohio employees of the closing of the Ohio operations, effective nine days before Christmas. Company advised that the profit margins in Ohio were not enough to maintain operations in Ohio and took all equipment back to Oklahoma. Poor management communication and the front line supervisor was often unaccounted for, sometimes for a few weeks. Corporate really did not seemed concerned by this. Other than that, they were a good company
Pros
Good money, good equipment
Cons
Lack of concern for the employees or their families.
Do not recommend for Waco area
Driver (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXOctober 28, 2016
I have to say, the company is pretty good itself, but working out of the Waco area is not. You will be dissapointed when you figure out everything you were told in the beginning was untrue. Equipment is old and in very poor condition. Company drivers play second fiddle to the Owner Operators at every aspect, dispatch, schedule, and trailers. They get the best of everything.

You will not get a weekend off period. Don't even ask. If you do, you will be ridiculed for it. Don't try to go around management or you'll face stiff retaliation, they'll get you back through your pay check.

Worst thing about working put of this area - management or lack there of. Trust me. You will be disappointed with the manager and how he will treat you.
Pros
Pay is moderate, could be better
Cons
No weekends off ever, equipment poor
Let down by inexperienced management
Lease Operator (Current Employee) –  USAOctober 24, 2016
Been working for this company for a total of 4 years and worked from two different terminals. Terminal managers at both location have no business being in the trucking business. My experience with these so-call managers have been one disappointment after another from the beginning. Starting from not being available when called about questions, being told one thing and doing the complete opposite, retaliation when proven wrong, favoritism among "their" drivers is an everyday thing, maybe they are getting something in exchange for the best loads. Upper management seem to be blinded by what's going on. Do yourself a favor and don't let all the promises made go to your head. Look elsewhere for a job.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
good
Fleet Manager/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 18, 2016
Good company to work for. It's the oil field so not very secure. There are some great co-workers working here. The hardest part of my job is working 24 hours straight on the weekend and not having enough coverage to take vacations.
Leader in the Energy Transportation Industry
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 12, 2016
Safety is a top Priority on all levels of UPT. It is important that every employee; drivers and officer personnel make it home daily to their family.
Learning experience
Fleet Manager/Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 26, 2015
Managed a great group of drivers who would bend over backwards to get the job done everyday.
Learned alot of new things after I figured out who to contact at our corporate office (in house mgmt were not very good at sharing necessary information needed to do your job).
Pros
4 Day on call work week.
Cons
No breaks
Dispatching Drivers
Crude Oil Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 20, 2015
The management will promise drivers stuff and not let the dispatchers know. Which leaves the dispatchers without enough trucks to cover loads. The management will then yell and scream at the dispatchers for not having loads covered.
Cons
expected to work through lunch.
Working in all types of weather.
Crude Oil Driver (Current Employee) –  Alva, OKMay 13, 2015
Sign in the start on my pre-trip. After that finished if dispatch hasn't sent my loads call and get those. Plan my work loads so that I may get as many as possible. Follow all rules and regulation thru out my work day. Once finish do my post-trip and get some rest for the next day.
Pros
You work by yourself no one looking over your shoulder.
Cons
Having to share trucks the next person might not drive like you.
Adventure
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, LADecember 30, 2014
Drive to plant fill up with product. Deliver product to locations.Really enjoyed this job just di not pay enough for my famialy needs.
Suitable place for QA/QC Engineers
Maintenance Team Leader( QA/QC ) (Former Employee) –  Lebanon , JunyaNovember 12, 2014
- Operation maintenance from the downstream to the gas distribution procedure
- QA/QC Chemical Engineering including hourly control of the quality of the products processed by both the Laboratory and the Industrial Department
-Machinery Inspection (Pumps, Water System Process, and Underground Reservoirs)
-Assessing and Leading employees' performance as per Company Internal Procedures
-Performing daily routine sampling and testing and implement corrective action where needed
- Learned Leadership and Communication skills
Pros
High levels of stress ( Makes you grow )
Cons
Low compensation, no higher postiion
Setup to fail. Work for free! Who could ask for more?
CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 29, 2014
I had high hopes of working here when I got out of the truck driving academy. I did my two years driving time and got hired here.
I could NOT be more disappointed. I was hoping to brag about this company but I can't.

I can verify:

Bad Equipment. - Not Maintained or repaired.

Six days training on best equipment on the yard, then sent out on your own with the wore out used up equipment that is falling apart, or missing parts.

Online training is "fair" at best. I bet no one retains anything from those online classes.

Pay is non-existent. Why? You're setup to fail so that you can't get paid.

You're paid by the load buy you can't complete them due to faulty equipment (DOT will love you.) or bad information.

Been here a month. I'm making almost $10.25 an hour.

I have been told, "You won't make any money the first 2-3 months. Just hang in there."
Pros
None.
Cons
Too many to list. No wonder they can't keep anyone.
Slow and no room to grow
Driver (Former Employee) –  Waco txAugust 26, 2014
Stayed here for almost a year had to fight every day for no loads and NO appreciation for what you were doing if you like making 600 a week for 6 days a week this is your place
Cons
Idiots for dispatch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Petroleum Transports. Our community is ready to answer.

United Petroleum Transports Reviews by Location