Play YouTube video button

United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

Best place I have ever worked
Equipment Associate (Current Employee) –  Arden, NCDecember 9, 2018
I was sought out for this position by a recruiter, and was onboarded very fast compared to some of the reviews I've read. My branch has the absolute best people I've ever worked with from the Branch Manager on down. I was quite surprised with the pay I was offered to start, considering some of the reviews I read before hand.
Pros
Pay, free food, long lunch break, benefits, free stuff, too much to name.
Cons
Fun to work there but stressful.
Service Tech 1 (Current Employee) –  Bladensburg, MDDecember 16, 2018
Running around trying to get equipment ready to go out, repair equipment when down.
Learned how to fix equipment when not working correctly.
Work place can be crazy, so much to do.
Trying to get everything working properly so it can go out working correctly,
The crew I work with are fun to work with and teaches me a lot.
Pros
A lot of free lunch and can rent equipment for half price.
Cons
Hard to move up in company.
Fast paced but fun place to work.
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 14, 2018
A typical day at work involves answering calls from customers, helping the customers that walk into your branch, taking their orders, helping sales reps with their orders, getting specs/availability for customers, occasional outbound calls, managing inventory of rental items as well as items for sale in the store. I enjoy getting to work with management, the sales reps, the drivers and the mechanics in the shop. The work place is fun and I can go to work every day with a smile on my face.
Each day is something different, whether you're helping a customer get in a service call or you're defusing an angry customer over the phone or in person.
Pros
Free Lunch sometimes, fun people to work with, great opportunity for advancement
Cons
Short/no lunch breaks some days
Mission statement; generate more revenue
Service Manager II (Former Employee) –  UtahOctober 26, 2018
Worked for UR as a service manager. Upper management is driven purely to squeeze out one more dollar without spending one more cent. New district managers first decision to improve financial statement was to let a bunch of hard working people go. I was let go purely as a financial move. I came back and was let go 2 years later for the same reason, to improve the company's financial statement so they could get the investors to put up the cash to buy Blue Line. Worked 60 plus hours a week and on call 24/7. Good pay package but bonuses are almost impossible to achieve due to unrealistic expectations. Good company to work for if you don't need job security.
Pros
Decent pay and health insurance
Cons
No job security, every move micro managed, unrealistic job expectations
Field Service Tech
Heavy Equipment Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 12, 2018
Great place to work for someone who likes fast paced in the Field and wants to gain knowledge on various types of machines, lots of overtime and all around great place, management definatly has its downs!! way to many Chiefs not enough indians,
Pros
overtime, decent pay, differnt machinery
Cons
Managers in positions they shouldnt be in
Managment is bad
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2018
The company has a good vision and is always forward looking, however when the management is tasked to roll out initiatives and their bonuses are based on participation the focus isn't on the benefit of the company or the employees its only on the bonus of management.
There are too many tiers of management to effectively manage and encourage employees. Branch managers seem to only have a purpose to sit in front of a computer and make reports, budgets and forecast because their manager has a meeting and they are so out of touch they can only rely on these reports.
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
managment
Great Work Life Balance at United Rentals
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 8, 2018
United Rentals is customer oriented and does a good job taking care of its employees. The salary is low pay for OSR's with the Commission heavily weighted for pay. They take time to train their OSR's and help them learn their jobs. They care about everyone and try their best to help out others.
Pros
Great Work Life Balance
Cons
Low Salary
Job Discrption
Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Westlake, LASeptember 22, 2018
Duties included making deliveries and pick-ups of heavy equipment to a variety of job sites throughout Louisiana. The job sites included refineries and contractors throughout Louisiana and I transported this equipment via tractor-trailer with a dovetailed flatbed. Equipment I delivered and operated consisted of cranes, carry decks, man lifts, sizzer lifts, forklifts, welding machines, light towers, skid steers, generators, and a variety of small tools. Equipment, at times, needed to be winched up therefore I also have knowledge of operating a winch.
Pros
Great Company
United Rentals
Area Service Writer (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PASeptember 19, 2018
I was on call a lot, made for a lot of stress too. Some of the road techs I worked with were difficult to deal with and would end up doing there own thing. I spent the majority of my day answering calls from customers and scheduling repairs to be done. There was down time, but most of the time it was busy. My coworkers were great, and made the job bearable.
The compensation made up for being on call, and the benefits were great too. Paid bi-weekly.
I worked with a few managers, one was very open and easy to talk to. Another was very relaxed and helped when needs. But there was one that pawned work off on me, had me handling things that he should have, as well as using me as a secretary at times.
Shop, parts, help everyone
Road and shop and parts technician (Former Employee) –  Sterling and Richmond vaSeptember 18, 2018
Worked for this company for 15 years. No pay raises. I did parts, merchandise, road mechanic and shop mechanic all in one. Wasn’t paid well at all. I’m certified on all aerial lifts ever sold. When asked for a raise they threatened to fire me. I did work with some of the best technicians, and branch manager in the business. They left shortly after I did. Now from interviews with this company I see cut throat and everything I wouldn’t work for with this company.
Pros
Ok company
Cons
No raises and pay way below average.
Official response from United Rentals, Inc.
September 20, 2018

Thank you for your message. We regret to hear your characterization of the local work environment. The experience that you described is not characteristic of the work environment that the Company works diligently to maintain. We welcome the opportunity to better understand your unique experience so that we may address it at the local level as most appropriate. To that end, please feel free to reach Human Resources at your convenience. Thank you in advance.

Stay away from corporate company
Class B Driver (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 5, 2018
Stressful everyday pay was way to low for your daily work insurance was the cheapest coverage you could get, favoritism at its finest, be prepared to go home soon as they slow up bc they count every second of the day on tbere time while you are on the clock actually doing something I could write a book about this place
Pros
Newer truck to drive
Cons
poor manager, higher ups never did nothiing to fix problem
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLNovember 7, 2018
as a driver had to be on call 24\7 was a real bummer, had all hours of the day and night to cover customer needs. learned a lot over the years. the work culture was good . hardest part of the job is the long hours. the most enjoyable part of the job is being out on my own
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours, oncall 24/7
Fun place to work , upper management lies and deceives
Inside sales / Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Wall, NJSeptember 24, 2018
Very fast paced , very stressful . Micromanaged like you cant believe
Make sure you get things in writing management tends not to follow through on promises .

good experience for someone out of college but as for a career you will be walking on eggshells your entire time with this company
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Expectation change day to day
Big company with little recognition
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 28, 2018
United is the largest company of its type in the world and because of that the people on the street bringing in business are overlooked. They have a what have you done for me lately attitude with little to no recognition.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
base salary is lower than others in the industry.
Good Work/Life Balance, Growing Too Fast
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 1, 2018
While UR provides a good work/life balance for an Outside Sales Rep, they're growing too quickly.Operations has been ignored, which adversely affects a Salesperson's ability to reach his/her potential. They're much more focused on national growth than dominating a local market.
United Rentals
District Merchandise/Sr. Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Yarmouth, MAAugust 16, 2018
Their management team was scatterbrained. One wanted me to be doing one thing another wanted something else so I did what I thought was best. After I had completed the initial task, ~ 6 months, which was for MRO type of products as a secondary offering to increase store sales, I was sent to another store to get their inventory settled, after that was accomplished , they stuck me in sales; that was the beginning of the end.
Pros
compensation
Cons
management
Poor work life balance
Branch Manager Power & HVAC (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 9, 2018
Tremendous amount of bias and favoritism by District Manager and Directors. Poor vision, inconsistent standards and expectations with poor accountability and hypocritical double standards by poorly trained District Manager. Poor leadership with too much focus on keeping hourly associates happy, but abusing the salaried management team through fear and intimidation tactics. Little work/life balance. Zero defect and zero tolerance policy double standard for management over hourly associates.
Great job to work
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CANovember 27, 2018
I worked 14 years for them. Great company with great pay and advancement opportunities.
The benefits was very good. Great people to call a team. Loved them, would go back any day.
Pros
Training, good pay, great scheduling, job security, great people, benefits great
Cons
Coach callers
productive, fast paced
Senior Equipment Associate / Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CASeptember 23, 2018
Very good company to work for, but you have to be dedicated. They do luncheons and employee appreciation days. Room to move up in the company. The company prefers to promote from within.
Pros
some paid lunches, advancement opportunity
Cons
fast paced, must meet all requirements monthly
My employment with United Rentals
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 27, 2018
I have worked in collections from standard accounts to National accounts. I have been in the role of special billing specialist which entails billing and collections from our large customers.
I submit invoices through different portals that our client has set up.
Pros
challenging
Cons
employees in the field not assisting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Rentals, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight