United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

poor managment
Equipment Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, CONovember 12, 2018
i worked at united on 13-14 and the management at the time was verbally abusive toward customers and employees and was very condescending. One individual in management also like to plot one another against each other.
It’s an awesome place to work
Equipment Associate (Current Employee) –  Chouteau, OKNovember 12, 2018
The people are good to work with. The raises and advancement are available if you work for it. I would recommend anyone to work for United. Its awesome
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
I work outside. But in the months to come I’ll moce up and be inside
Excellent Company
SOURCING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 7, 2018
From top to bottom Unted is loaded with quality people and practices to engage your career and advance to the next level. I would highly recommend a career at United Rentals.
Pros
Training / Advancement
Cons
Very consuming
Productive but demanding
Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkNovember 7, 2018
Good job and pay but demanding work schedule and high expectations to deliver on multiple lines of business. You get a company truck and laptop and cellphone.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
Demanding
Productive place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WANovember 7, 2018
Very busy schedule loading and unloading rental machinery in the terminal or at customers properties.
Transfer equipment from terminal to terminal
Would explain the operation of equipment to customers
poor manager, higher ups never did nothiing to fix problem
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLNovember 7, 2018
as a driver had to be on call 24\7 was a real bummer, had all hours of the day and night to cover customer needs. learned a lot over the years. the work culture was good . hardest part of the job is the long hours. the most enjoyable part of the job is being out on my own
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours, oncall 24/7
Good Work/Life Balance, Growing Too Fast
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 1, 2018
While UR provides a good work/life balance for an Outside Sales Rep, they're growing too quickly.Operations has been ignored, which adversely affects a Salesperson's ability to reach his/her potential. They're much more focused on national growth than dominating a local market.
Good Place to work
Collection Representative (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYOctober 29, 2018
Collections department was well managed. Goals made clear. Expectations are clear. I enjoyed working at United Rentals. They relocated from my hometown.
Very laid back atmospher.
Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 27, 2018
Very good managers. They truly care about their employees, I see various doctors through out the year and I never got the impression that this stressed anyone out.
Pros
Very laid back atmospher, very good managers.
Mission statement; generate more revenue
Service Manager II (Former Employee) –  UtahOctober 26, 2018
Worked for UR as a service manager. Upper management is driven purely to squeeze out one more dollar without spending one more cent. New district managers first decision to improve financial statement was to let a bunch of hard working people go. I was let go purely as a financial move. I came back and was let go 2 years later for the same reason, to improve the company's financial statement so they could get the investors to put up the cash to buy Blue Line. Worked 60 plus hours a week and on call 24/7. Good pay package but bonuses are almost impossible to achieve due to unrealistic expectations. Good company to work for if you don't need job security.
Pros
Decent pay and health insurance
Cons
No job security, every move micro managed, unrealistic job expectations
Good company
ROAD TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 20, 2018
United rental. good benefits. Lots of nice people with lots of different types of experience and equipment. And all types of weather. Nice new work trucks fully loaded and stockrd
Tons of Internal Advancement Potential with an Opporunity to work with & learn from the best people in the business.
Trench Safety Specilaist Trainer & Installer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 19, 2018
United Rentals gave me a chance of a lifetime and I took full advantage of it. When we really started to grow the branch year over year they would build a team around us with the numbers I would project. Soon it was a reality and we started growing fast. Management is great from top to bottom and they always made sure you’re in an environment that you can excel in. United also has the BEST professionals working for them in each industry we support so that our Sales Reps are on it when speaking with our customers designing these elaborate shoring systems. If I showed United I had the ability to become a Trainer, they helped me become a Certified Trainer for OSHA Classes Competent Person Trench Safety & Confined Space Entry teaching me further how to sell any business thru education to develop the customers’ needs for your services. I even became a Installer for our larger engineered systems so I could identify the problems and issues we encountered with each system making my next install and design better than the last one. We also had the ability to work One on One with Temporary Shoring Design PE's & Structural PE Engineers in House as well as One External Engineer for the field. Gave me a wonderful platform to constantly practice my public speaking skills by Teaching thousands of Individuals about the Laws surrounding Excavation Safety and Confined Space Entry.
Pros
Great Benefits Package, 401k Matched, Labtop, Company Truck, Cell Phone, Hot Spot, Tools, Meals
Cons
not concerned about what a sales rep acheieves, Made it very difficult to advance into a different role, Always on Call 2 4 7
productive with sense of accomplishment
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKOctober 11, 2018
United Rentals was/is a fast-moving productive organization.
The benefits were nice. Pay with possible bonuses were decent .
Untied rentals placed the rent above the needs of the employees, management and customer. The struggle comes when the inside sales-rep (the renter) is able to rent something that is not ready and has not been fixed by the mechanic or signed off by the maintenance manager. Often the Maintenance Manager is unaware the equipment was rented since the equipment may have been trucked out before the store opened for the day. This often causes the customer no end of grief when the equipment they rented failed shortly after starting the equipment. Once the equipment left the store/gate the issue became a maintenance issue leaving the Maintenance Manager reacting to a situation he knew nothing about. This also causes safety and OHSA compliance issues.
Pros
Decent pay with good benefits
Cons
leadership structure
Stay away from corporate company
Class B Driver (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 5, 2018
Stressful everyday pay was way to low for your daily work insurance was the cheapest coverage you could get, favoritism at its finest, be prepared to go home soon as they slow up bc they count every second of the day on tbere time while you are on the clock actually doing something I could write a book about this place
Pros
Newer truck to drive
Managment is bad
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2018
The company has a good vision and is always forward looking, however when the management is tasked to roll out initiatives and their bonuses are based on participation the focus isn't on the benefit of the company or the employees its only on the bonus of management.
There are too many tiers of management to effectively manage and encourage employees. Branch managers seem to only have a purpose to sit in front of a computer and make reports, budgets and forecast because their manager has a meeting and they are so out of touch they can only rely on these reports.
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
managment
Wonderful
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 1, 2018
Very well organized. Staff and employers were very welcoming. They guided you with any help you needed. Management was very understanding. Felt very excepting
Fun place to work , upper management lies and deceives
Inside sales / Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Wall, NJSeptember 24, 2018
Very fast paced , very stressful . Micromanaged like you cant believe
Make sure you get things in writing management tends not to follow through on promises .

good experience for someone out of college but as for a career you will be walking on eggshells your entire time with this company
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Expectation change day to day
productive, fast paced
Senior Equipment Associate / Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CASeptember 23, 2018
Very good company to work for, but you have to be dedicated. They do luncheons and employee appreciation days. Room to move up in the company. The company prefers to promote from within.
Pros
some paid lunches, advancement opportunity
Cons
fast paced, must meet all requirements monthly
Job Discrption
Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Westlake, LASeptember 22, 2018
Duties included making deliveries and pick-ups of heavy equipment to a variety of job sites throughout Louisiana. The job sites included refineries and contractors throughout Louisiana and I transported this equipment via tractor-trailer with a dovetailed flatbed. Equipment I delivered and operated consisted of cranes, carry decks, man lifts, sizzer lifts, forklifts, welding machines, light towers, skid steers, generators, and a variety of small tools. Equipment, at times, needed to be winched up therefore I also have knowledge of operating a winch.
Pros
Great Company
Competitive, fast-paced, safety-minded
Equipment Associate/ Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 19, 2018
Safety at all cost is almost the mantra. Management skills are hit or miss. Good mobility if you score well on their personality tests.
Training is provided and encouraged.
Benefits
Cons
Long days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Rentals, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss