Play YouTube video button

Featured review
United Rentals, Inc. selected this as a representative review
The future is bright!
Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 28, 2019
With the leadership team in place and the growth projected. I can honestly not think of another company I would want to get in the trenches for. The opportunities we can present to our customers to be a sole source provider.... almost endless! They will get rid of me, before I decide to ever leave them.
Pros
Forward thinking, multiple lines of products to offer customers.
Cons
Longer hours and stress, fast paced environment.
Good
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 18, 2019
Provided you with a lot of the tools needed to succeed. Corporate is a bit disconnected from local branches but a strong store manager will help cushion
management with no heart
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Borger, TXMarch 13, 2019
the management there only care abut themselves and no one else they only care about their money and bonuses very racist branch manager at the branch i worked for
March 19, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We regret to hear your characterization of your employment with the Company. United Rentals will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind and is committed to maintaining a fair, respectful and dignified business and work environment.

We take your comment very seriously and welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please contact our corporate human resources representative directly so we can discuss these issues, and any other concerns you may have, in more detail. If, for some reason, you do not want to contact our corporate human resources representative and/or you wish to continue to remain anonymous, we encourage you to call the Company’s Employee Alertline at 1-877-HELP-URI. Thank you.

office environment
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Pico Rivera, CAMarch 13, 2019
was not a place where team building was an importance. My division had a strong bond however there were so many other divisions and not strong enough leadership to make them work together as a team.
watch out
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 11, 2019
employer promises a lot and delivers litte. Scheduled hours that are very family unfriendly. Very little performance feedback and unattainable bonuses are the norm.
This place is a scam!!
CDL A Driver (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 10, 2019
Company has great benefits but horrible management! Realized within first month I was expected to do everything other than what hired to do upon being hired without compensation adjustment. Management lacks experience and professionalism. First 2 weeks of employment they are friendly, offered perks of free lunch and slowly revealed red flags by requesting me to do tasks I don't even have the knowledge, certificates or experience to complete safely and accurately complete such as mechanics, service and sales even though hired to be a driver.
March 11, 2019

Thank you for your message. We regret to hear your characterization of the local work environment. The experience that you described is not characteristic of the work environment that the Company works diligently to maintain. We welcome the opportunity to better understand your unique experience so that we may address it at the local level as most appropriate. To that end, please feel free to reach Human Resources at your convenience. Thank you in advance.

Nice place to work
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Pennsylvania, Ohio, New YorkMarch 7, 2019
A typical work day includes driving to accounts and jobsites within assigned territory. Taking orders and prospecting new customers. Negotiating rental rates, coordinating delivery and pick up of equipment. researching future prospects/project, entering information into salesforce.com.

United Rentals is a good job but there are areas that need to be improved. They will take your commission back if customers do not pay their account bill within 120 days. Even if they do pay,after 120 days, they will not reimburse the commission.
Pros
ability to manage your territory
Cons
they take your commission if not paid in 120 days
Busy
Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAMarch 6, 2019
United rentals is a nation wide & global equipment rental company. with branches through out the united states. Renting & selling construction equipment.
pulp and paper industry NORTH AMERICA-oil and gas Texas
NATIONAL ACCOUNTS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 6, 2019
National account manager for north America-tremendous book of business for the entire pulp and paper industry representing 49 states and 1075 branches,with a 12.9 billion dollar fleet.Enterprise sales with a strong utilization of various types of equipment.24/7 powerhouse rental equipment company.STRONG customer service oriented company.Excellent structure,a centralized reservation service and automated online ordering.All branches are fully integrated through technology,allowing them to collaborate on solving customer needs.
Pros
$12.9 billion of fleet available for rent/sale
Cons
Almost too large of a company
Real physical job
Temporary Laborer (Former Employee) –  Gonzales, LAMarch 6, 2019
Real friendly environment fun and competitive job lots of driving if u not in the warehouse house but overall good job and good pay with lots of chances at advancement
I wouldn't recommend it
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 28, 2019
A lot of gossip and other shenanigans going on there. I wasn't impressed. Computer system is outdated and they don't have a lot of equipment readily available. It was frustrating.
Pros
Free lunches. Lots of jokes.
Cons
Communication was either non-existent or rude.

Want to know more about United Rentals, Inc.?

Ask a question
Lots of politics and very much physical work for the pay
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2019
Management too concerned about the numbers, only because they get huge bonuses yearly. Plus they also have safety meetings daily plus two more safety meetings, one extra weekly and another monthly witch it’ll drive you insane. The salary is poor for all the work they pile on you and expect miracles out of you. Costumers literally trash the equipment and expect it running like new the following day.
Pros
Health benefits good
Cons
Great place to work for!
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAFebruary 26, 2019
Great place to work, upper management really listens and is active within each branch in our district. If I had anything bad to say, it's that the industry itself is demanding of time and I often work more than 50 hours per week and some weekends. However, this is industry wide and I could choose to not be there for my customers and not work late hours or weekends and I wouldn't be penalized but that is what sets United apart from other rental companies and we know we have to be there for customers that also work long/late hours and weekends.
Pros
Everything, pay, benefits, atmosphere etc
good place,good people
Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 25, 2019
enjoyed my time there ,good benefits. good people to work with, retired from there, company appreciated my experience, The district and regional mgrs. varied but the store managers I worked under were supportive,
Pros
good people
Branch Manager III (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 25, 2019
I worked at URI for about 14 years. It is a good place to work. I would recommend URI to anyone that is interested in the Equipment Rental industry.
Good place to work; some people should have been let go.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJFebruary 21, 2019
Good place at first to work; then some folks think they own you and you have to put up with them. You want to come in and do your job but even some management there was two faced and condescending.
Pros
Close location
Cons
Backstabbing individuals trying to get ahead.
Overall I would go back.
Tool Trailer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAFebruary 17, 2019
United Rentals is a seasonal type of business. In my role there was a ton of travel, very little to no planning but lots of coworker support. Benefits package was unparalleled and extremely competitive pay. Overall I found it hard to promote or do inter-company moves as they are in an acquisition stage in their growth and development. It seemed a who did you know policy not a what you can do type scenario.
Pros
Benefits, Pay and Support
Cons
Planing, advancement and management.
Good benefits with a large and growing company.
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 15, 2019
Not much room for advancement unless you want to relocate. However, they are constantly hiring young grads and seasoned people to train and place in their outside sales force.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunities are limited unless you're willing to relocate.
Good pay, questionable management
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  kansasFebruary 13, 2019
Needs better management. Company doesn't have adequate personnel to carry out its duties effectively. Employees are strained and stressed out as corporate continues to downsize personnel.
What I Learned at United Rental
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Starkville, MSFebruary 12, 2019
Customer relationship building as well as negotiations. My work day begin from 6am to 5pm and consists of meeting customers and creating new relationships
Pros
Good training
Bad management / Low pay for work load / Bad environment
service tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 4, 2019
The company, despite doing well, seems to be permanently understaffed. As a tech, expect to also be an equipment associate, and whatever else they ask of you. I had to do the unloading, checking in, fueling, inspection, equipment triaging, towing, yard work, full service, loadbanking, washing, paperwork, and finally loading onto another truck to be taken away and somehow that still wasn't enough at only $16/hr. My branch manager was MIA for 2-3 days per week, and when he was there he was buying lunches on the company's dime. Of course, thats fine until they cut all of the shop tech's overtime down to 1 or 2 hours a week indefinitely to make up for the extravagant spending. sales guys love to rent generators out that haven't even been looked at yet and management doesn't care. It becomes your responsibility to make sure the generator is good to go, sometimes with only an hour or so notice. Rules change every day, and managers will harass you to be able to inspect and service generators in less than 18 minutes regardless of how many times you are forced to stop and switch to a new task because of the lack of employees. safety PPE is nonexistent unless corporate management is there and diesel generators and heaters are run in the shop during winter time, sometimes for hours, with the shop doors closed and no ventilation. make sure that if you are told to deviate from the rules you get it in writing, otherwise when it comes back to bite them they will point the finger at you. safety is a concern when it doesn't effect their bottom line.
Pros
experience, company phone, free lunches
Cons
cutthroat, no communication, ridiculous ammount of responsibility for garbage pay
February 15, 2019

Thank you for your message. We regret to hear your characterization of your employment with the Company and will review your concerns and address them as most appropriate. In the meantime, as you know, Safety is a core value and top priority at United Rentals. If you have additional detail that you would like the Company to consider in the course of its review, we welcome the opportunity to learn more and encourage you to reach out to Human Resources. Otherwise, we will conduct our review with the information that you have provided. Thank you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Rentals, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight