United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

Job Discrption
Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Westlake, LASeptember 22, 2018
Duties included making deliveries and pick-ups of heavy equipment to a variety of job sites throughout Louisiana. The job sites included refineries and contractors throughout Louisiana and I transported this equipment via tractor-trailer with a dovetailed flatbed. Equipment I delivered and operated consisted of cranes, carry decks, man lifts, sizzer lifts, forklifts, welding machines, light towers, skid steers, generators, and a variety of small tools. Equipment, at times, needed to be winched up therefore I also have knowledge of operating a winch.
Pros
Great Company
United Rentals
Area Service Writer (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, PASeptember 19, 2018
I was on call a lot, made for a lot of stress too. Some of the road techs I worked with were difficult to deal with and would end up doing there own thing. I spent the majority of my day answering calls from customers and scheduling repairs to be done. There was down time, but most of the time it was busy. My coworkers were great, and made the job bearable.
The compensation made up for being on call, and the benefits were great too. Paid bi-weekly.
I worked with a few managers, one was very open and easy to talk to. Another was very relaxed and helped when needs. But there was one that pawned work off on me, had me handling things that he should have, as well as using me as a secretary at times.
Shop, parts, help everyone
Road and shop and parts technician (Former Employee) –  Sterling and Richmond vaSeptember 18, 2018
Worked for this company for 15 years. No pay raises. I did parts, merchandise, road mechanic and shop mechanic all in one. Wasn’t paid well at all. I’m certified on all aerial lifts ever sold. When asked for a raise they threatened to fire me. I did work with some of the best technicians, and branch manager in the business. They left shortly after I did. Now from interviews with this company I see cut throat and everything I wouldn’t work for with this company.
Pros
Ok company
Cons
No raises and pay way below average.
Official response from United Rentals, Inc.
September 20, 2018

Thank you for your message. We regret to hear your characterization of the local work environment. The experience that you described is not characteristic of the work environment that the Company works diligently to maintain. We welcome the opportunity to better understand your unique experience so that we may address it at the local level as most appropriate. To that end, please feel free to reach Human Resources at your convenience. Thank you in advance.

Time passed by fast.
Equipment Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Very fast paced environment. Learned how to operate equipment. Needs more training for yard hands. Mostly just sink or swim . had some really good coworkers. Management seemed to be clickish. Never seemed to be too much concern on the advancement in career.
Pros
salary good.
Cons
work in weather enviroments.
Review
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Elk City, OKSeptember 10, 2018
They do put family first, or my immediate supervisor put family first. Was able to balance work and home life. Training was good, but the company didn't always follow what they put into policy.
something different daily
Rental Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOSeptember 10, 2018
something different each day, from sales reps to walk in customers to customers calling in, needing my expertise to help problem solve for them and the people I worked with were good, made coming to work not feel like "work"
Pros
learned equipment and what they all do
good source of income
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
no comment about this company due to fact they laid me off cause i had to relocate to different city due to natural disaster. i liked working for this company and got plenty of hours
Pros
good hours
Worked there for 24 years and loved it.
Heavy equipment delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Athens, GASeptember 5, 2018
I worked here fir 24 years.I loved my job and did my very best. United took over and changed everything I ever knew. It was a very good place to work.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
Good place to work and learn
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 3, 2018
Great enviroment to work in. Learn something new everyday and co-workers are willing to help. Great benefits. and work/life balance
Benefits
Cons
Salary could be better
very safety minded
Technician (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 3, 2018
Large company, room for advancement as long as your willing to relocate to advance. Environment is safe, fast pace, fun and educational place to work.
My employment with United Rentals
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 27, 2018
I have worked in collections from standard accounts to National accounts. I have been in the role of special billing specialist which entails billing and collections from our large customers.
I submit invoices through different portals that our client has set up.
Pros
challenging
Cons
employees in the field not assisting
Great place to work, but must not become complacent.
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 23, 2018
A typical day results in the prompt and courteous taking of in-bound calls to assist customer with credit related questions. I am to address and escalate a customer concerns to achieve a favorable resolution for both customer and company.
Pros
Relaxed environment, good management
Cons
Minimal six days
muy profesional
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  seattle washigntonAugust 23, 2018
muy profesional en todos los formas, yo era jefe de seguridad y formabamos un buen equipo.
Good place
Road Technician (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 19, 2018
I would recommend to anyone. They are pro military and try their best to help out with a family work life balance. management could be a little more balanced
United Rentals
District Merchandise/Sr. Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Yarmouth, MAAugust 16, 2018
Their management team was scatterbrained. One wanted me to be doing one thing another wanted something else so I did what I thought was best. After I had completed the initial task, ~ 6 months, which was for MRO type of products as a secondary offering to increase store sales, I was sent to another store to get their inventory settled, after that was accomplished , they stuck me in sales; that was the beginning of the end.
Pros
compensation
Cons
management
Fast paced
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaAugust 14, 2018
Customer service seems to be going away as certain number goals need to be hit. New regional management cant see the forest for the trees. Used to be an excellent company!
Pros
great benefits
Cons
spend a lot of time fighting your own people
Poor work life balance
Branch Manager Power & HVAC (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 9, 2018
Tremendous amount of bias and favoritism by District Manager and Directors. Poor vision, inconsistent standards and expectations with poor accountability and hypocritical double standards by poorly trained District Manager. Poor leadership with too much focus on keeping hourly associates happy, but abusing the salaried management team through fear and intimidation tactics. Little work/life balance. Zero defect and zero tolerance policy double standard for management over hourly associates.
Fast paced
Service Technician III (Current Employee) –  Denver ColoradoAugust 8, 2018
A great company to work for. Unfortunately some of the management is real clickish and if your not a good ol boy then you don’t fit in. Got a great review got .25 cents because I transferred outta state for family purposes but came back to being called a traitor!
Pros
Experience
Great place
Branch Administrator (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 7, 2018
United Rentals treated me fairly, kept me extremely busy and let me know on a regular basis what a great job I was doing. This is a terrific place to work.
A great place to start and end
Inside Sales/Dispatch Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJAugust 3, 2018
A great place to work they teach from the ground up about the rental business and as long as you are driven and have the ability they really push you to advance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Rentals, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight