United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
United was run into the ground
HEAD MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 17, 2018
URHT was run into the ground by poor management. The same senior management that would have you do things were less than savory and truly quite sketchy.
Pros
something mew every day
Cons
bosses having no experience dictating how your job is to be done, unchecked ego
cool place
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Beckley, WVJuly 16, 2018
I love my job, I can take lunch anytime I need to, if I need time off I ask, home every evening and night If you're complaining about this job then you're probably very hard to satisfy. UR1 United Rented DOES PAY OVER TIME. Seen where someone posted they don't, but yes they do!!
Pros
Ur1
Cons
N/a
Review of summary
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 12, 2018
I don't have a review. I enjoyed working for the company and it was a great experience and I would love to work for them again if an opportunity were presented to me.
all good
customer service, always put the customer first (Former Employee) –  Artesia, NMJuly 10, 2018
I love to work for UR ,Its been a big part of my life, ! learned a pleather of useful things about heavy equipment and oilfield work in my 4plus years in New Mexico . started driving a low boy in New York , then drove dovetail and rollback in Stamford CT & Danbury CTas well .Dennis Durance
Pros
good equipment
Cons
zero
Hard to advance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 9, 2018
Lack of room to advance over years.Very fast-paced environment during summer/fall. Decent benefits after some time with the company. Pay is decent. Room for improvement.,
a fun and challenging job
Maintenance Technician/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJuly 6, 2018
Fixed rental equipment.
trained in Arial boom lifts and generators and pumps.
Manager had issues
great place to work
tuff to deal with angry customers from equipment failures
we did have company BBQ,s and good times at work
Pros
fast learning environment with construction equipment of all types.
Cons
pay was too low
Great company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJuly 3, 2018
Typical local driving. You are running and ripping. That's your job. To make deliveries and provide excellent customer service. Management and the people I work with are great. If you aren't a go getter, or are used to just holding a steering wheel, don't apply. Its hot, its dirty, it can be hectic. Work about 8-10 hrs a day and go home. Steep learning curve if you have never unloaded or loaded your own trailers, but they are willing to train you. Other than that, it's open deck running. Chain it and roll! And get ready to do that about 8-14 times a day.
Pros
Plenty of free stuff, food, if you need something just ask.
Cons
None. Its a good job. If you cant make it work at UR, you are doing it wrong.
Inside Sales Representative
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXJuly 1, 2018
As an inside sales rep at my specific location I was responsible for much more than someone in my position at a different store. Which I enjoyed for the most part as it made my experience more laid back and more of an opportunity to learn at times. On the other hand, I received no recognition or appreciation for everything that was done from upper management.
All in all, it is a good starter job for someone with a degree but I felt that I was overqualified for my position after the first year.
Pros
Learn about the Industry
Cons
Tons of hours
workplace culture
Equipment Associate (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MS 39503July 1, 2018
the workplace culture is good, the position Im in keeps me moveing and they respect what i do. the communication can sometimes interfer cause they like to assume one person will do all the communication
No life
BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Columbiana, OHJune 29, 2018
Constant. Management is all over the place. No life balance. Investors make it tough to implement new ideas because they change them on a weekly basis. A lot of shady transactions.
Productive work place
National / Government Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLJune 26, 2018
Very productive work place, provides training in order to perform job duties accordingly. Management open to listen employee concerns. Fun workplace.
Pros
Free sodas, bagel fridays
Cons
Managed by email with little interaction with management
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 25, 2018
The inside sales position in Charlotte is awful. Every minute of your day is watched with very little support from management. There is little, if any, focus on developing your skills. The quarterly bonus program that is set so out of reach. The only employees thay attain it are the ones that do not follow the rules and either have not been or management does not care. This department is easily one of the worst managed departments within the company. The managers are never on the floor and seem to spend the majority of their days behind closed doors with each other. The mood amongst the staff is as low as it can be. I would never recommend this position to anyone.
Pros
Co-workers. Possible advancement to the field. Good benefits.
Cons
Micro-management, Low pay, Low job satisfaction, Unattainable bonus structure, Out of touch management.
Paid well
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Delmar, DEJune 24, 2018
I enjoyed my two separate stints working for United Rentals. They paid you for every minute that you were on the clock. Unfortunately for me, I was laid off twice because I had the least amount of service time with the company
it was ok
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Gonzales, LAJune 23, 2018
management left something to be desired i don't think they treat there employee in a fair manner they did not have a good training program the my branch man. wasn't even certified to opt the forklifts so eveytime we talked about it i knew he had a very little exp about what he was talking about
Productive,competitive and fun work place
Equipment associate (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 22, 2018
United Rentals is an Amazing place to build up a career. Always something to learn and people always there to help you learning.and guide you to your goal.
Pros
Free launches, short meeting every day...
loved working for this comany
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJune 22, 2018
I loved working at United Rentals but they went through a period where they were out-sourcing most of their positions. I do like working in the rental house field.
Pros
good job, good pay, great employees
Cons
outsourced most of their jobs
Great Place to work
Lead Service TechIV (Former Employee) –  Mandeville, LAJune 20, 2018
United Rentals is one of the best places I have ever had the opportunity to be a part of. For the most part, every employee that I was able to work with was the prime example of team work. The only reason I left was because of the location manager at the time I was there. He came from an acquisition and was not trained in the ways of United Rentals. His lack of knowledge and personal skills were the reasoning for my departure.
Pros
Insurance, 401k, training
Management is terrible
Equipment Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 18, 2018
Management is awful.Being a hard worker who shows up every day-gets you nowhere. You have to be willing to spend your weekend, getting drunk with them
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Management- upper and lower, poor work ethic because they know how to work the Union system.
Outside Sales
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 18, 2018
I loved my job with United Rentals because of the trust my manager put in me. I made my own schedule and worked how I saw fit. There were some small, easy things you needed to complete like a calendar so they knew what you were doing but I decided how I spent my time and where it was best. My decisions in the field were 100% backed up by my branch and I trusted them to make the right decisions at the branch. Overall, your experience will have to do with your branch culture where ever you work. Mine was a great experience and the company as a whole pays well, gives good benefits, and trains well.
Poor Job Culture
Aerial and Industrial Equipment Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 14, 2018
Women are treated as second class employees
Racism, sexism, and HR policies weren't enforced
Rule by under your thumb mentality
Just work don't think and you would do fine
Territories constantly change which changes your pay
Pros
travel
Cons
being objected to sexism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Rentals, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight