United Shore Employee Reviews

Don't even apply
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMay 14, 2019
Everyone is nice. However, the underwriting process/training was unnecessarily packed with work. There was a lot of positive dispositions. Management needs to focus more on making sure employees understand the work as opposed to spying.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
May 17, 2019

We appreciate your honesty and are sorry to hear you feel this way. We work hard to properly train all of our Underwriters, as we want them to have successful careers here and we know the importance of their roles in the prosperity of our clients' business. We do not condone spying or any disrespectful behavior between leadership and our team members, and we hope you were able to share these concerns in detail with Team Member Services.

dont risk
underwriter (Former Employee) –  MichiganApril 27, 2019
if you have a very good education and are looking for a career, this is not the place for you. I have a masters degree (MBA) and they wanted to demote me because of so many reasons one of them being I have an accent mind you, that is not bad at all and I talk on a lower tone. The mentor that I was working with made up stuff on me and they didnt even investigate it. They put on a front of inclusion, diversity and one of their pillars is being a people company but I believe its a front to look good for the public and to compete.
If you are looking for something for short term, go ahead and get a small check to get by until you find something. After my experience there, even if I needed a pay check, I wouldnt go there. BE PATIENT AND GET THE JOB YOU DESERVE.

I left and am now working for a fortune 500 company which I got with two months of patiently looking.
Pros
power carts, gymn.
Cons
too fast paced, too competitive, less diversity
May 8, 2019

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We’re disappointed to hear about your experience with our leaders, as this is not the type of behavior we condone from any of our team members. We truly do believe our people are our greatest asset and we work hard to create an environment where all of our team members feel valued and included. We hope you were able to share your concerns with Team Member Services during your time here and wish you the best in your new role.

I would not recommend
Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMarch 7, 2019
This company preys on recent college graduates who are desperate for employment and don't have the experience to negotiate for the salary and benefits they are worth.
March 11, 2019

We appreciate the honest feedback and are disheartened to hear you feel this way. Putting team members first is our main priority, which includes competitive wages, the ability to earn additional monthly bonuses and numerous on-site perks. We feel the underwriting role is a great option for college grads, as they have the ability to start right out of school and create a long-term career path after that. We hope you were able to address any concerns regarding compensation with your team lead so we can use that information to continuously improve our company.

Focused Company and Focused CEO
Network Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJanuary 29, 2019
First I will comment that United Shore is a focused, forward-thinking company.

The workplace while open is one of the best over the course of my career...because of the people.
People
Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 16, 2019
People were awesome to work with from co-workers to management.

My manager had an open door policy, she was very approachable and spoke the truth and was supportive of you.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Pay
Color
Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJanuary 10, 2019
Couple words.........
Watch out of some recess people there.
I had lots of stress throughout my internship there.
The learning curve is worse in this company simply you have to be not smart and act like you don't know anything to live along with other developers there. epically the couple IT leaders.
strong culture and high expectations
Mortgage Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 13, 2018
United Shore is fast paced environment, where it is essential to stay organized, attentive and most importantly, ready to retain new information daily.
Great stepping stone
closer (Current Employee) –  pontiacNovember 6, 2018
Good company to work for if you don't mind more of a challenging job than Walmart or fast food. Good place to start in mortgage industry and use to go to higher paying companies with same position. Rolling the dice with the account executive position. 10 out of 30 AE's will be picked out to be made super stars based who likes you not your work. Sales division leader exact words!

Management are all friends. The lack of good leadership effects the ability replace the current bad ones. Employees do not trust management and pretend for job security.

If not referred by friend or family member who holds higher position then very unlikely you will receive support to grow or have job security.
Pros
Christmas parties and cool building
Cons
Upper Leadership, Management does not practice good faith and fair dealing.
Rotating door management
Not Good Enough (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MINovember 5, 2018
There were two VP changes and two team lead changes for me directly.....it was a comedy of blindness, lack of accountability, and playing catch-up on business volume.
They hire 100 plus people for a role, then shed them once volume can be handled. Quality work is a joke, and those with the worst quality are rewarded with perks.
I hated going there each and every day to be told “stay positive” and the next breath chided for not meeting production numbers. Well, that’s because I’m fixing all the files for the guy who won the contest for pulling files!
Also, they advertise a “gourmet” cafe........now that is funny. The food vendor here is poor, at best.
If you do work here, GOOD LUCK!
Pros
It was a paycheck
Cons
Pay, Hours, Lack of accountability, Commute
This was a sweat shop once the company moved into Troy
SENIOR CONVENTIONAL UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 9, 2018
It is a go go go pace, you are paid salary and expected to work all hours of the day and night to complete all loans assigned/ or not assigned to you to be sure the company stays on the 24 hour turn time. (new Underwrites)
would get call at 11pm asking me to log in and complete a Loan Underwrite prior to midnight so it wouldn't be on the report and over turn time.
Pros
Likes most of my co workers - Mo no longer with the compan now
Cons
Demanding more and providing less to the employee
Amazing People, not so amazing pay
SWAT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIAugust 21, 2018
Senior Leadership is AMAZING! You feel the passion and pride they exude every time you chat with them or hear them speak, you really feel like what you're doing makes a difference. We also have really great benefits and amenities however, having all of these amazing benefits has a cost, and that is the salary. You must figure out what you really want out of a company and what you are looking for career wise and decide what's most important to you.
-Doctors Office
-Salon
-Company Fair
-Epic Holiday Party
-Pay
-PTO
-Benefits
-Culture
-Work/Life Balance
-Etc.
Pros
all kinds of amenities
Cons
late shifts, low wages
Dissapointing
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJuly 30, 2018
I was lied to and told that if I passed their training class that I would go on to be an underwriter. I passed the class, and was still fired for reasons I cannot explain. Sure there's a lot of perks like a gym and basketball court there, but management manipulated me, used me, and left me out to dry with no sympathy or reasoning whatsoever. Very dissapointed in how I was treated.
Pros
Gym, bball court
Cons
Awful shift times (10-7), located in bad area
Great company that believes in life work balance
Chief Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 21, 2018
This company believes in life work balance. While they don't support a work at home program they support balancing work and family. The company does several events throughout the year to support family time. It was a great company to work for
Pros
Equitible pay and compensation, supports family time, on-site gym
Cons
N/a
Great company to work
Senior Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work. Wonderful team.
A very professional work atmosphere. All the employee-related processes and procedures are in place. The management does a great job of keeping employees happy and professional satisfied.
Pros
Perfect work-life balance.
Great Company
Lending Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 3, 2018
Great place to build a career, CEO is one of a kind, great leadership all around. Company offers a lot of great perks as well. The only downside which isnt even that bad is the base pay compared to other companies in the industry. United Shore will be #1 for a long time.
Pros
Perks, Firm 40, Leadership
Cons
Pay vs Competitors
Run
Broker Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 29, 2018
This place is the epitome of a “drink the kook-aid” workplace. You need to act a certain way and look a certain way, or it’s over. They’re all about offering you choreography lessons, free food and soda, dance parties, and lots of prizes for doing your job, but they’re also okay with people, management included, bullying people until they leave. And if you speak up, try to step in and get things changed, they’re real quick to show you the door. I saw it happen to multiple people before I quietly put in my notice.
Pros
Great benefits, free food and drinks, often positive work environment, pay
Cons
Poor leadership, high stress workplace, lack of chain of command supervision
Fun place to work
Pronto Elite Client Service (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 12, 2018
The culture is great but the pay is low. Thursday dance party is extremely fun and a great break up to the day. They celebrate families by having a carnival for everyone once a year. The work is demanding but the pay is not good. If you're looking for a great place to work and have a second job, this is the place for you.
Production stay away
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIMarch 29, 2018
Stay away far away!! The CEO used to be great not anymore, family friendly they are not. The Founder has always been amazing. The Son takes over and it went big to fast and no knowledge there. If you don't agree with things or hang out drinking koolaid you wont like it. pays bills for now
Pros
Free pop, gym on site, Dr. On site if you leave ur own Dr. Cafe and Star bucks on site
Cons
Pay, upper and lower MGMT. Micro manage, no experience or learning. Etc.
Perks vs Pay
Closer (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIMarch 22, 2018
This company says all the right things and at one point I’m sure lived up to it. However, things continue to go against the culture that UWM portrays. The pay does NOT equal the work that is expected of you. There are many perks which is great however perks don’t pay the bills. They speak so much about feedback however feedback of management/processes is rarely received. I think this is a great place to work for a young kid. I advise getting in to get the knowledge then move on. They expect people to be okay with being under compensated just because of the various perks. People should be paid what they are worth! The leadership is also very poor, they’ll never admit to it!
Pros
Fun workplace, work/life balance
Cons
Pay/ Career Advancement
Individual Growth opportunities while working in a fun environment
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI 48083March 20, 2018
I learned how to underwrite a conventional loan with an amazing training team. Once I learned how to underwrite, I had the guidance and support that I needed from my team as well from my team leader.

The culture was fun learning our jobs with games, and having outings as a team.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being challenge to be my best. I love growing and being a part of a successful company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Shore. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

United Shore Reviews by Location