United States Department Of Defense

United States Department Of Defense Employee Reviews

United States5,272 reviews

Found 5,272 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,757 reviews

US Army

Only those who abide by the Army values will suceed in this career path. Days are long and hard yet rewarding. Benefits are hard to beat from education, medical, dental, etc.

Pros

Multiple benefits

Cons

Moving every three years

Good carrier

Excellent money, easy and clean work, and easy to move up. Opportunities to travel all over the world or stay home and work with a consistent crew.

United States Department Of Defense insights

Based on 1,509 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose

Good starting place

I would say that this is a great start for those that have no options during their first few years as an adult. All experience may vary depending who you're with and where you go.

Pros

Free Food, Free Benefits, Room and Board

Cons

Toxic Leadership, No room for improvement

Great place to work, but a high stress environment. Manangement could pay a little more attention to the employees input, but as a contract specialist it's all about the numbers

Could be much better.

Mismanagement and cultural/social tone-deafness taints all the work and love of service to country. But, they cannot fire you once you're in, so it's stable work. You just have to be okay not loving what you do for more than 1/3 of your day. Because work/life balance is a joke.Sometimes you get LEADERSHIP that makes you believe like there is hope for humanity. But governmental inefficiency swoops in and reminds you that taxpayers and congress don't actually care about the work you do and the efforts you put in to keep them safe.Oh, and office culture can be toxic depending on where you land. Luckily, moving locations and jobs is very easy. Just don't expect career growth if you spend most of your time escaping unhealthy work environments.

High Stress

Stressful, disorganized, no guidance from HQ inept problem solving at HQ so we're pretty much in a bubble. But very challenging, enlightening and fulfilling. Just lots of red tape...

Pros

On-site gym.

Cons

Inept management.

Exhausting

Prepare to sell your life for very short money just to gain a title only worth it for the post career benefits as well as the people you meet while you are in

Not a bad place to work

No job is perfect, but I can't complain about much. My daily pt schedule is half of what it would be in public sector. Administration has been very flexible when time off is needed. The benefits are amazing, but the salary isn't what you'd make elsewhere. You have to weigh the pros.

Pros

Good work environment, you aren't so overworked that you burn out, staff are great, and the benefits

Cons

Salary

Really fun if you like kids

Honestly isn’t a bad gig. The pay is great and you’ll get hours if you want them. It’s a very stressful place if you don’t like kids. There’s plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Consider working in the clinics as opposed to the hospital if you are family oriented

Benefits and pay are excellent. Working in the hospital- work life balance...is not there. You will be expected to work 6 (12hr) and 1 (8hr) shifts per pay period and an on call shift. You will also not be able to call in if you need to because whether sick or your children sick...they don't normally have enough staff to cover. This causes the managers to have to come in. So if you have small kids or are family oriented consider working in the clinic instead.

Pros

Management, Salary, Patient population, Physicians, Able to spend time with your patients

Cons

Little scheduling flexibility, Horrible EMR, Coworkers can be oppressive in the south, Not great for minorities

Do not work here if you dont want to be stuck

Growth is very limited. Phones do not work in most buildings. First they will make you do tedious grunt work then they will transition you into real work.

It becomes what you make it

Hard work and dedication is reciprocated, it can be a great career if you’re willing to become the best at everything, the best in physical shape the the best at your job, the best in appearance, and the best at leadership.

Depressing place to work.

I was often treated poorly as the managers were not trained to be supervisors. I was often accused of doing wrong things with no evidence other than someone's opinion. No matter how I worked I was accused of not doing my work even though there was no one who fully understood what IT was.

Decent hours, good pay, good benefits

A lot of technical work but very rewarding. The occasional travel overseas. Fast promotion's for enthusiastic individuals who show up for work everyday and put in 100%.

Pros

Good benefits and pay

Cons

Short breaks and lunch

Shift work that flips every 4 months

For a dispatcher position; very slow, simple, and easy. Despite the relatively low stress levels compared to outside agencies there is still a high level of toxcitiy in the work environment overall.

Good is supporting our military. Bad is red tape

Good is supporting our military. Bad is constantly having hands tied due to bureaucracy that makes no sense and is never changed, promotions based on favoritism and a HRO that is of no help and often misinformation

Good-ole-boy place with little advancement opportunity

The pay isn't bad and we work reasonable hours but there is very little room for advancement or the ability to move around the command. Upper management has no clue how to treat low level employees and only work to make themselves look good to their bosses. Would not recommend.

Promotion will depend on who you know.

Worked here for over a decade, but, not worth it. If you really want to be in control of your promotions, this is not the place to be, try the private sector instead.

Pros

Awesome work life balance.

Cons

Only certain individuals can promote.

Trash

Would never go back. They do not work with your life or personal things. They are very fake and really hate soldiers that are injured. Wouldn't recommend to my cat.

Sense of purpose

Great way to start giving back. Great opportunity to start gaining work experience and get some free college paid for. Don’t do it for yourself do it for a better reason.

Knowing you position well

I worked very to try and advance. I got letters and awards for outstanding work. But I could never get approve for advancement. I did work outside of my detailed position, but was not good enough to carry the position of that advancement. Only when they needed my help.

Pros

Job security.

Cons

Very hard to advance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Department Of Defense. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss