United States Department Of Defense

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

United States Department Of Defense Employee Reviews

Found 4,005 reviews matching the search See all 4,371 reviews
Fun and flexible workplace
Inventory Management Specialist (Material Planner) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 15, 2019
I really enjoyed working at the Defense Logistics Agency, there wasn't any upward mobility for there, that is why I chose to go to another agency. If I could get an opportunity in my field to progress, I would love to go back.
great company!
Accountable Property Officer (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJanuary 15, 2019
after being here for only six months, I cant see myself ever wanting to work somewhere else! the only thing that would get me to leave would to be closer to my family down south.
Team focused, leadership opportunities
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 14, 2019
Great opportunities to excel, provides well for individual and families.
Equal opportunities, respectful workplace culture, perfect environment to gain middle management skill.
Pros
Great opportunities, ability to advance
Cons
Long Hours, time away from home
Great environment
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Lockwood, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Working was fairly lax, and everyone I worked with was super friendly. Everyone looked out for one another and they were super supportive of new ideas you wanted to try during the job.
Pros
Flexible
Diversity and Good Pay
Office Automation Assistant/Lead Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAJanuary 12, 2019
Good starting pay, 40 hrs/week, 8 hour days, 7am until 4pm, annual leave and sick leave, diversity, there is a lot of training, holidays off, and weekends off
Pros
Pay, paid holidays, time off, paid sick days
Cons
Lots of training
Terrific place to work; great work/life balance!
Policy Staff Officer, Office of Strategic Planning (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2019
This was one of my favorite jobs. Great boss, facility is clean and has great amenities (gym, cafeteria, coffee shops, etc.), and hours are flexible throughout the week depending on your work schedule.
not the best
Lead Child and Youth Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAJanuary 10, 2019
it was good to get the training and experience. you were overworked and not appreciated. never commended on the good work that was done. scrutiny was always in the face
Cons
no job advancement opportunity with or without education
Good overall as a workplace.
Environmental Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32212January 10, 2019
Good place. Good people. Challenging work. Good compensation. The opportunity to use previously acquired skills over a range of disciplines. Adventure for those who want it.
Pros
Excellent resources.
Cons
High stress.
No comment
Part-Time Employee (Current Employee) –  COJanuary 10, 2019
No comment on a typical day at work. I didn't want to fill out this survey and yet there was no way to click out of it. Each day varies. Shifts vary, responsibilities vary.
Very productive
Senior Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pentagon, VAJanuary 10, 2019
Meetings with my senior leadership regarding path forward for the day. I approved of the Secretary (Gates) who lead the department when I was there. Enjoyed the mission to support the warfighter.
Pros
Very structured environment
Cons
Very structured environment
Contractor for Department of Defense
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Gunther Annex, Montgomery AlabamaJanuary 10, 2019
Contractors and Civil Service employees do not have the same benefits. A typical day at work involves reading emails, following up on tasks and actions. Facilitating meetings and taking minutes and creating agendas. Tracking project life cycle activities.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
job stability is weak
A dead end job
Computer Assist Ordering Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lemoore, CAJanuary 9, 2019
DeCA is not a good place to work, I would not recommend this as a good workplace.

1. management is seriously lacking

2. poor advancement opportunities
Pros
few
Cons
Too many to list
Everything you'll ever need
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Wright-Patterson AFB, OHJanuary 9, 2019
The work environment was healthy at Wright Patt Air Force Base. You basically had a one stop shop for all your needs. You could literally work, workout, shop and participate in any events held on base before actually leaving the base.
Pros
Great work-life balance
Cons
Sometime can be micro-managed but only when there are pressing issues that need to be resolved
Great workplace!
STAR Representative [Pathways] (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 8, 2019
DoD was an amazing company to work for! There are several opportunities for advancement and great benefits. In addition, there are flexible work hours and supportive staff.
Best Career I will ever have
United States Marine Corps (Former Employee) –  Parris Island, SCJanuary 8, 2019
Love everything about the Marine Corps, from physical fitness and training opportunities to education and social richness. It is a high intensive and stressful career but the payoff out of life is worth it. They offer a wide variety of physical fitness and health opportunities. Education and training is endless but limited sometimes to the times they can be accomplished because of higher priority objectives. Traveling is allowed and options to choose are becoming more available. The culture is great because of the highest family characteristics of any job available in the United States. I regret leaving sometimes.
Pros
Physical fitness, vehicles, computers, radios, firearms, traveling, Weapons, survival, discipline, Brotherhood.
Admin assist to Family Life Chaplain
Administrative Asst/Resource Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CO 80913January 7, 2019
Served as administrative assistant to the senior Family Life counselor and other counselors by performing administrative and clerical work. Coordinated and arranged counseling sessions, planned and assisted at Strong Bonds marital enrichment events. Assisted with group sessions at these events. Interviewed clients for needs and our ability to meet their needs, referred to outside agencies or emergency services when situations dictated. Maintained, ordered, stocked, and inventoried materials for the Chaplain Family Life Resource Center and Resource Library. Utilized computer and other technical equipment in order to create, copy, edit, store, retrieve, search, and print a wide variety of documents. I used various types of software types such as Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher, Word, and Outlook to perform the duties of my position. I used basic and advanced office automation functions to complete assignments. Composed routine correspondence on other subjects as outlined in regulations and procedures or specifically requested by guidance counselors. Planned marriage and family enrichment events. Completed AAR reports and submitted. Ensured proper arrangement, spacing, format, grammar, and spelling. Reviewed incoming correspondence and determined the action required and its priority. Routed, controlled, and distributed mail to appropriate individuals; maintained and classified a variety of files including client counseling files in database and training and education event files. Recruited participants to attend education and enrichment events. Established and maintained a variety  more... of files for easy retrieval. Cross-referenced files containing correspondence, reports, reference material, and other office records. Established and maintained suspense files and followed up on suspense dates to ensure that required actions and responses are made within deadlines. Maintained and ordered office supplies keeping track of requisitions to ensure timely completion. Performed other duties as assigned. Knowledge of the subject area for which the organization was responsible. Knowledge of the functions, operations, and activities of the FLC counselor office and staff sufficient to answer or refer calls, visitors, and distribute mail. Knowledge of the procedures and rules applied to administrative assignments to include, but not limited to, establishing and maintaining office files and records; and requisitioning a full range of office supplies and publications. Knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation, format, and military and civilian correspondence handling procedures in order to ensure correctness and expedition. Skilled in the operation of computers and related software applications to produce spreadsheets, reports, or presentation documents. Ability to store and retrieve documents or files, insert and delete text, use a printer, and transmit and receive electronic mail. Skilled in operating related equipment such as printers, faxes, scanners as required. I planned and carried out work independently, using judgment and initiative to solve most problems. Determined and organized the workload in order to meet required suspense, prioritized projects, and maintained an orderly and effective flow of day to day business. Responsible for managing the daily processing list and inventory of Family Life Center self-help library and resources.  less
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
budget
Job Satisfaction based on Contribution to Mission Success
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2019
Being retired military, DoD jobs tend to allow contribution to defense of our nation. Working towards goals larger than ones personal goals is a common attribute of those I work with. Citizens of all backgrounds should remember this, and any job you have is what you do to make it better.
Pros
Leadership is visible.
Cons
Recent difficulty in transferring between different jobs
NAS CC is a great place to work
Contract Site Lead / Admin Assist (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi Naval Air station, TXJanuary 7, 2019
I worked for the Counseling department for the Navy DOD, I enjoyed working with the upper management and commanding officers and service members. Working as the Contract Site lead for NAS CC was a true honer.
Busy
Employer and Military Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 6, 2019
Excellent . Fast Pace environment. Co workers are easy to deal with and do their own jobs in a timely manner. There is also unity in everyone and they are willing to help if the need arise.
Large Organization w Good Opportunities
King Air 200 (C-12) Pilot / Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2019
Can be great or awful like any large organization. Have to work to get to a place yo want to be... difficult to start exactly where your want to be.

I have had great jobs and terrible,