United States Department Of Defense Employee Reviews

Found 4,087 reviews matching the search See all 4,506 reviews
A Great Place to Work!
Human Resources Specialist III /Contractor /NST (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 21, 2019
A busy and fun filled place to work. Because most of the work was a process there was very little stress. Management there was always helpful to make sure you had the resources to be effective doing the day to day tasks. I learned my best writing skills during my time there. At times it could be frustrating because the process to complete a task could take weeks.
Pros
Great Benefits!
Cons
As a contractor my position was not permenant.
Demanding
F-16 Integrated Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  GlobalMarch 19, 2019
I was an Integrated Avionics Technician for the F-16 fighter Aircraft, and I would work more than 12 hours or more a day on average. Although, the benefits and pay was amazing it was a demanding job in my experience, and provided little to no personal time. It was still worth it as opposed to not working at all.
Working at the Commissary.
Grocery Bagger (Former Employee) –  APO, AE, 09173, USMarch 19, 2019
These are the guidelines that should be remembered when working at the commissary.
Follow procedures for organizing products by categories.
Ensure that inventory does not become damaged.
Deliver groceries to customer vehicles.
Maintain a friendly and courteous standard of customer satisfaction through interpersonal communication.
Pros
discounted items at the deli.
Cons
lunch rushes
Only a contractor
Junior Support Analyst Contractor (Current Employee) –  Lorton, VAMarch 19, 2019
I'm not a direct employee of the DOD or DLA, I'm only a contractor. Overall as a contractor I haven't had much luck with advancing in my position. There is room for growth but the leads and supervisors decide if they want you to grow. The Culture of the office is cold and uninviting, there is constant talk about inappropriate discussions on politics that can become uncomfortable if you don't like to share your views (whatever they maybe). I've have the pleasure of meeting new people and have gotten the opportunity to observe the culture of a different organization that what I'm used to. All my time spent at the job regardless of having a ton of work or not have only been an opportunity to learn.
Pros
You can telework.
Cons
depending on who you work with things can get very very slow.
No opportunity to advance
Contract Price/Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 19, 2019
Fun place to work and excellent training opportunities but no opportunity to advance. If they were to create opportunities for individuals to be promoted it would be much better.
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Quantico, VAMarch 18, 2019
Great place to work, enjoyable atmosphere. The building is like a college campus there is a gym located at the Head Quarters and a dining facility where you can get breakfast and lunch everyday. Most of the agency work with flexible work schedules for commuters.
Diesel Tech
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 17, 2019
It is a everyday job that takes military manners and civilian lifestyle to work and complete to hit our goals every year. We had guides for all who are not to skilled in some spots and people who would teach all things that were not up to the task but made it work as a team. We as one would help one of each other out to get out mission complete as the each day went on and we held our standers to the highest when it came to working on big motor vehicles to make sure they did not fail who ever use them.
Pros
Teamwork, readiness
Cons
Lack of high end slots for new comers
nice place
Policy Assistant / Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 17, 2019
overall computer and analytical skills brought the program notoriety, both in the speed of development, as well as the high quality of the product regarding content, layout, and presentation. Very positive place to work.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Not enough work positions
Writing skills required
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Southport, NCMarch 16, 2019
Something new was to be learned everyday. I recommend this place to work. It is a disciplinedi organization. This organization is speckled with the military.
Pros
promotions
Cons
hours
Department of Defense
Logistics Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 16, 2019
During my military career, I gained a lot of knowledge, experience and leadership skills.

As a DOD civilian I gained further experience while working with an Army Brigade unit.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits job security
Cons
poor family to work quality of life
DoD can be a great place to work.
Supervisory Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  New HampshireMarch 16, 2019
Truly it depends where you end up. The DoD has great benefits and opportunities for you to get out of your career what you want. Like anywhere you get out what you put in. Work hard be smart follow the chain-of-command and be innovative. Critique your bosses behind closed doors and praise the mission in public and you will be just fine for a long rewarding career. People are people and you get what you get. Today the DoD is undergoing a culture shift that is freeing to the worker. More telework is being allowed tobresponsible people everyday. Their hiring process is a mess but always has been because of archaic HR rules that are made to benefit no one so that no one is singled out. To say things are bad would be incorrect they are just the last to make great changes due to their command and control nature and inflexibility. It is changing however and getting better quickly now.
Pros
Secure, benefits, pay is steady, student loans forgiveness programs and tuition reimbursement, you decide how hard you work.
Cons
Old culture still evolving, lower than industry pay
Great Pay
Store Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LA 70143March 16, 2019
working for the government has a great pay advantage. If you want to travel the this is a great job. Advancement is possible but need to be willing to relocate often.
Able to Learn and Grow, working at this place
GS-2210-11 Cyber Security analyst (Current Employee) –  Department of DefesneMarch 15, 2019
Great experience if you want to learn and grow. It can be very competitive to advance and get promoted and pay is almost half of what you would get on the civilian sector.
Pros
Technology advancement and training.
Cons
Low salary, esp if you have to live in an expesive area.
Great career opportunity
Public Affairs Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 14, 2019
Great career opportunity to utilize my skills as a Public Affairs Officer and and contribute to the defense of my country. Acted as spokesperson for U.S. Armed Forces.
Disa
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMarch 14, 2019
I enjoyed working for Defense Information Systems Agency’s because they made sure you got the training that was need to perform your job and you also had the tools to perform your duties.
DISA gives opportunity for their employees to grow and cross training into other areas of the Agency. I was very pleased with my job and the Agency.
Pros
Wellness program 3hrs a week, and Telework
Cons
Not enough parking space
Best place to work
CSR Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAMarch 13, 2019
Great people to work with the intelligence is by far a fantastic feeling to be around. We work individually but we came together as a team to complete a task and I must say a task well done.
Pros
All the coffee you can drink
Cons
Computer time all the time may need glasses after a few months
Ability to work on your own!
Electronic Measurement Equipement Mechanic Inspect (Former Employee) –  Robins AFB, GAMarch 13, 2019
A typical work day started at 7 am and ended at 2:30 pm. Learned to work on automated Test Stations. There was a lot of communication between Technicians to help get through the day!!!
Pros
45 minutes off to go to the gym, sometime during the day, not at the bginning or at the end.
Cons
Productive fast paced customer service environment.
GS-07 (0203) HR Supervisor, PSD (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSMarch 13, 2019
Ensuring all pay and administrative concerns are processed ico military personnel and their families. Educating personnel on retirement and separation benefits from the military to transition to civilian life.
Pros
Excellent work atmosphere.
Cons
Present job(s) are being deleted.
Persoonal Work environment
GSCC Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAMarch 13, 2019
I enjoy working as a contractor with the DoD and the DOS. It is a very fast paced personal environment. I have learned a lot and I am excite to take this new knowledge on to a more advanced position.
Pros
Health and Wealth Frigment
Cons
Working weekends
Workplace Culture
Sr. HR Noncommissioned Officer- Information Office (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 12, 2019
Obtain a better understanding of the strategic level of management. Expand knowledge of the human capital processes, planning, collaboration, and executing business on a daily basis.