United States Department Of Defense logo
United States Department Of Defense
Happiness rating is 78 out of 100Above average

United States Department Of Defense Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

Found 237 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,507 reviews

US Army

Only those who abide by the Army values will suceed in this career path. Days are long and hard yet rewarding. Benefits are hard to beat from education, medical, dental, etc.

Pros

Multiple benefits

Cons

Moving every three years

Typical government work

Bureaucracy kills motivation. Too many box-checkers just white-knuckling until retirement. Lots of opportunities to move around and advance. Sometimes seems politically driven.

Wouldn't recommend

Great stepping stone in life would not recommend making a career. Long hour only to be looked as a disposable statistic. No home life just work work work.

Pros

Free medical

Cons

No breaks but for smokers

Most of the direct management came from the trenches

On military bases overseas, almost all of the administrators who we deal with were originally teachers in the system, so they understand what we need. That means they satisfy our immediate needs well! For a few years, I was both an administrator and teacher at the same time! I finally went back to full classroom teaching, since that is where my love was!

Pros

Excellent co-workers and administrators

Cons

Adjusting to live in a foreign country

Very political

Politics is not just reserved for the political appointed employees. The career employees are way worse. They wait for an administration they agree with and punish those that followed the direction of the last administration.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Stress, politics, having you boss work against you

Good supervisors

Great job opportunity. Very diverse work environment. Flexible work schedule and very challenging work environment due to the diversity of personnel.

Pros

Flexible work schedule

Cons

As a contractor, took a backseat to staff personal.

Heavy workload

1,000 of contracts to review. Property administration is a small group of people. It’s a specific job field. Heavy work load and not enough people to do the job.

Trust

I love my job and everything that comes with it. My department supports me well and I'm very grateful for all them. They give me flexibility and support.

Pros

Every other Monday off

Cons

The current operation manager is not good to work for

The current operation manager is not good to work for. He doesn't know how to talk to people In a respectful.needs more management training ect..

Very good and welcoming work place

My typical days at work has always been exciting and challenging and rewarding. You get to meet and encounter team players who are commited as well as dedicted. Workplace culture is also different, as we get to know and meet individuals with different ethnic background and experience. The most enjoyable part is getting to have new friends.

Pros

Friendly co workers

Cons

Contract was not long enough - I was fed contractor

Jobs at United States Department Of Defense

See more jobs

A good place to learn government auditing

My career at the Department of Defense Office of the Inspector General spanned over 20 years. I thoroughly learned the auditing process there. Its a good place to start a federal career.

Encourages Students to explore opportunities within the federal government

The DoD agency I worked for has a very well run student programs team that encourages students to learn about opportunities within the federal government that will support the topics and skills they are learning in the classroom.

Great to work for. Flexible work schedule, clean environment, opportunities to learn new skills. they offer in house valuable training for free, and plenty of online self study courses.

Decent Pay but no work enjoyment

DCMA has decent pay, but priorities tend to shift without the completion of the first priority. Things are not prioritized which makes everything an emergency.

Productive work place!

Productive work place. People are nice and the community surrounding the agency is very nice. Supervisors are very helpful. The work is uplifting and busy. The location is great in proximity to mass transit.

I was a subcontractor

To be more accurate, this is really an evaluation of my contracting prime vendor (PSI and Microhealth LLC), NOT the DoD (which was my CLIENT). As a subcontractor, I anticipated that I was the most expendable individual in the organization. In that sense, the prime vendor did not disappoint. The position required a security clearance, which the vendor was supposed to sponsor. In point of fact: they DID NOT sponsor my required clearance. I was in violation of the clearance requirements. Rather than be up front, inform me and sponsor my clearance, the prime vendor was deceptive: they did not inform me about my clearance status, but allowed me to continue to bill for over 5 years(!!!) in violation of the clearance requirement.

Management sets the pace at any job. If you have a good manager the rest of the employees will follow creating a good work environment. Trust goes a long way. V/r Eric

Very diverse culture

New to the government. The comfort of job security is a plus, along with the diverse culture and networking opportunities. The pay scale and benefits are on par with job classification for private sector positions, but given my experience with the government workforce at my location they have it much better than they earn. Overall my experience with the DoD has been positive, but if they would just trim some fat it could be great but isn't that the same everywhere.

very exciting in the work you do.

Most jobs offer chance for advancement and to learn new skills. If you are motivated a job in DOD can be rewarding I would recommend working for DOD as a great place to work

N/a

Overall a very good experience. Had the opportunity to learn a lot and grow. Met some very intelligent and hard working people. There is some politics found in some offices, but each experience is different.

Very great place to work

Learned a lot in am environment that promotes growth! Flexible work hours and managers whom are very compassionate and understanding. Very busy in the hospital side but if u can work under pressure great place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Department Of Defense. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

2.8K
1.7K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss