United States Department Of Defense logo

United States Department Of Defense Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Found 5,026 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,499 reviews

US Army

Only those who abide by the Army values will suceed in this career path. Days are long and hard yet rewarding. Benefits are hard to beat from education, medical, dental, etc.

Pros

Multiple benefits

Cons

Moving every three years

I worked there for 20 years

Loved my job with DoD. Great people and excellent pay and benefits. Veterans are able to buy into a greater retirement by applying active military years to your civil service.

Pros

Job stability

Cons

In my job I was limited to 20 years of service and then forced to retire.

Good opportunity

Great opportunity for anyone looking to serve in the united states military while learning new skills in life. The core values they teach you will help you become a better person and a vital asset to any company.

Consistent

Very independent workers works at own pace. Great atmosphere, potential growth in the department. Every 6 months there is an a Salary and step increase

Pros

Work alone

Cons

No training

Great benefits

It’s a great place to work. The time off is available often with comp time available as well. Its a relaxed environment with little pressure except when behind.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Job Security

The work is a little stressful but I was working with children so that is expected. The work schedule was consistent and no last minute changes without notice. There was always the opportunity to create a fun environment.

Pros

Excellent benefits

Cons

Competitive advancement opportunities

It was an honor and privilege to work with this company extremely rewarding.

It was extremely busy rewarding to work them. Fast paste never a dole moment. Rewarding. I wish I didn't have to leave. Management was amazing.

Pros

rewarding

Cons

no cons

Depends on where you work.

Can be a great job if there is good and fair supervision. In my particular work environment this was not the case. There was a lot of favoritism and at times a toxic work environment. I'm pretty sure that is not the case of entire Department of Defense though so its kind of difficult to rate for such a large entity. Federal benefits are pretty awesome.

Pros

Excellent Benefits

Cons

My particular work section was a toxic work environment at times (not the case for every section)

Great pay, but learning for a trainee is not the greatest

If you come into the government as a trainee, and you are coming from outside the government to work for the governs for the first time, you have to find your mentors. It is very common that mentors come into training program and find themselves never being trained. If you want to be successful, you've got to be an advocate for your own learning. Which, can be especially difficult if you don't know where to begin. That said, the work life balance is great and the pay is great as well.

Pros

great work life balance/pay

Cons

you may flounder the 1st couple of years knowing nothing

Pretty good job

Not a bad place to work at all. Great work life balance. Telework program is good, advancement is pretty easy. Can use leave when needed. Would recommend working here; there is high job security

Pros

Benefits, decent management, work life balance

Cons

No short or long term disability, parental leave is a contractual agreement not just given

Jobs at United States Department Of Defense

See more jobs

Good benefits

20 year retirement with benefits for life. Politics like all jobs varies but have to play the game and survive. Some employees milking the system while hard workers keep it rolling.

Pros

Government job

Cons

Governmrnt pay limitations

It is what you make it

I was in the top leadership echelon as a DoD Director. You can show up and stay employed but if you want reach the top it is long hours of complex work. Anyone that says it is not never really did it. Deadlines are short and when the Asst Sec of Defense wants something there is no 8 hr day. They usually want it yesterday.

Pros

steady employment and good benefits

Cons

you will likely not have a nice office.

Boring, repetitive, mind numbing work.

Currently been here for a year, I have not enjoyed it very much. Manager does not help employees and higher ups are disconnected. I feel like this job is wasting my education.

Benefits are unrivaled

If you can get your foot in the door you wont be disappointed. There is almost zero turnover and people that start here tend to stay here for life.

Pros

Lots of vacation days

Cons

Always challenging learning experiences both from a technology and analytical prespective

I work at a Technical Project Manager, my typical work day will be managing the SharePoint Homepage, reviewing international agreements, managing other internal SharePoint site updates, attending meetings, taking notes and providing the notes to staff. The hardest part of my job is troubleshooting website issues, and the most enjoyable part of my job is researching and drafting information for documents to support the staff with their work

Pros

Great opportunities to learn a variety of skills

Cons

work as a contractor does not allow the stability as a government employee

Challenging and rewarding

Overall, thus us a challenging and rewarding job with ample opportunities to excel and be promoted. Critical thinkers do well here and compensation is great.

Pros

Pto

Cons

Periods away from family

Great place to be. The people was nice. You have an opportunity to use your IT Skills. The customers are sometimes aware of the hardship of what you have to do as an analyst.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No cons

It’s fine.

It's fine to work the there. It’s alright. Working there is a drag. Screw working in dirty and hazardous environments for low pay and an unfulfilling job.

Hate it

I wish i could say more but for the 6 years i was in the service , deploying and going on missions. There was a lack of leadership and lack of moral. Never going back

They need to improve their harassment reporting process and act on complaints appropriately to protect the victims

Very fast paced but quality is preferred over quantity. Always room for advancement depending on positions. Overtime can be mandatory at times but it’s great pay

Pros

Great benefits and pay

Cons

Lack of leadership and management acts too much like they are in military ranks

Not a job it's a life choice

I mean, it is the military - a lot more sitting around than I ever expected and not what you expect from the movies, but you definitely get a chance to be proud of what it is you are doing with your life and serve the country.

Pros

Free Education, Serving the Country

Cons

Low Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Department Of Defense. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at United States Department Of Defense.
Powered byComparably