United States Department of Justice
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from United States Department of Justice:

United States Department of Justice Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA23 reviews
Contractor
Contractor, there is nothing to say about the Department of Justice as a whole this corporate website is forcing me to write this because at the end of the day they are a company and want to make money
Productive work place
Good work site good team work good management good team player skills nice co workers helpful co workers good participation with co workers and management job was great
Great place.
A great place to work. I enjoy the people I work with. Everyone is a team player. I would recommend anyone to work there. The only issue is the location.
Pros
Good people.
Not recommended
I would not recommend working for the BIA. A few years ago I would have encouraged folks to apply, but management ( using that term loosely) has changed and the working conditions are more like a daycare than a professional organization.
New attorneys should look elsewhere
A typical day at work involves sitting in front of a computer, analyzing immigration cases, and typing 8 - 10 hours a day. I've learned about immigration law and how to apply it to removal orders. Management is not flexible. At an annual review, they will point out a missed a comma and not give any credit to any good work done. The hardest part of the job is the isolation and dealing with poor managers. There is no enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Telework
Cons
Poor management
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
productive
Great place to work with a very motivated team which like to perform. we conducted various activities which helped the performance of other teams and departments.
All professional fast past work environment
Create design intent drawings, project conference calls, traveling to sites, research, putting out fire, and lack of clear direction. Upper management continues to work in the past, without current procedures or in a progressive thought process.
Pros
Provide courtroom & support space for those who believe in a good cause.
Cons
Length of time it takes to provide leases through to opening for hearing cases.
Absolutely loved my job
Got to work on pretty much everything. Loved being there every day. Every day was different, but that is precisely what makes it fun to work there. We were part of the project team, and that was a lot of fun working there. Coworkers were very nice to each other!
Great place to start a career
I started at DOJ as an undergraduate intern in the Pathways program. I am extremely thankful to have been a part of the program because it exposed me to the life of a Federal employee. I have learned and experienced so many things that I know will benefit me in my future endeavors. Additionally, being in a Pathways intern was a lead way into me becoming a full time employee right after graduating from undergrad.
Excellent place
Had the best time working there. Nice co-workers, willing to train, helpful and great to be around. Had parties, mostly holiday parties, you get gifts, awards, etc.,
Pros
Pay, parties, nice people
Student/Clerk
As a student clerk I was under the supervision of the Team Lead. The job consisted of filing, data entry, making copies, and sending faxes. I enjoyed the experience.
Interesting and meaningful work
I was a contractor with the US Department of Justice, so I was not privied to pay raises and evaluation bonuses like the government employees. I think that something that could be improved. I enjoyed the people that I worked with. Immigration Court was an amazing and interesting experience. Helping people in this difficult procedure and world of immigration law was meaningful.
Pros
Fun office, very understanding and family cultured environment
Cons
as a contractor no paid time off for weather and shut downs
Can't speak to DOJ generally
At EOIR, as a volunteer intern, assignments were fairly basic, such as drafting letters. Using samples of attorneys' previous work, this part was simple.

Some assignments involved listening to lengthy court recordings looking for mention of specific issues. Sometimes, this required going through quite a bit of chaff to get to the wheat.
Job security and work/life balance opportunities
Good place to work with many opportunities and very flexible work schedules. Each day was different. It could be very relaxed or extremely fast paced due to often receiving very short turnarounds on special projects.

The only downfall was lack of promoting within the agency.
Pros
Telework opportunities
Doj
Lots of legal procedure to learn. Lot of crossed area task. Busy and fast pace. Very professional setting but laid back. You'll learn and earn a lot experience.
If you are an attorney, the DOJ is a wonderful experience
Serving your government and representing the government is a privilege. If you are an attorney, I recommend taking the opportunity to learn from some of the best attorneys in the country.
Chill job
Cool job. Light work load, no growth at this position but it was good to get my foot in the door as an entry level position straight out of college. I'm look to grow further.
Pros
great entry level
Cons
no growth at this postion
Doj ok
Not bad for work. Let IntelliSearch become the brain-power behind your job search. Simply search for jobs using IntelliSearch, and you'll instantly be served the jobs most relevant to your profile - ranked in order of relevancy. You’ll notice highlighting in job descriptions - this is based off of keywords and similar keywords found on your ClearanceJobs profile.
wonderful people
Unique group of people to work with in law enforcement. people were willing to share and teach me duties to make their job easier Learned a lot about government crimes.
Productive workplace
Overall wonderful place for employment. My coworkers and colleagues motivate each other and we cross train each other.
awesome place to work
love working with the government personnel great place to work fun & challenging nice people great staff always busy meeting deadlines for attorneys work with different firms.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Department of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.