United States Department of Justice Employee Reviews

Productive and very face paced
Cashier/Clerk/Cook (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2018
A typical day at work would be to come in at 6:30am and set up everything meaning prep all food for the salad bar, brew coffee, stock shelves if needed and count the register. we open at 7 so its a pretty busy morning because most of the employees come in at 7 so we are cooking and making sure customers needs are met. by lunch at 11am we are now having our salad bar available for customers to enjoy we also have to make different soup for each day of the week. by 2pm we are now starting to clean and count up all transactions made for the day.
Pros
half off lunch. Christmas bonus
Cons
no benifits really but paided vacation and very short breaks
Highjy productive workplace
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 29, 2018
A typical day started with reviewing case files,talking to judges, managing calendars, sending out notes to peers, checking the court room for recording and starting court. I learned how to work with the judges in during court and after each day of court proceedings, notarize and certify court records, and how to keep the legal process moving. The hardest part was memorizing the legal pattern of each judge for their court room standards, the easiest was communicating with external/internal customers
Pros
Travel, classes for attaining my Masters degree
Cons
Salary not keeping up with the standard of living
Good ours weekend off moastly friendly people
Seasonal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 13, 2018
Over all good job. I was only a student so i didnt get benifits, but pay was alright raises at a pace and fair amount. The bosses where nice and fair., lots of office involment at holidays like a big family. Job duties ranged from easy at your own pace fieling to facepace deadlnes but always reasonable.
Short staffed, mandatory overtime and unsafe conditions.
Psychiatric RN (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MnNovember 27, 2018
After 13 years I have become too jaded toward the inmates. Coworkers are amazing. Always opportunities to learn and teach. Just no longer feel safe inside the fence. I have spent 13 years being assaulted, threatened and my family threatened.
Pros
Autonomy, coworkers, pay and benefits
Cons
Staff shortage, mandatory overtime
Interesting and meaningful work
Executive Office of Immigration Review (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 19, 2018
I was a contractor with the US Department of Justice, so I was not privied to pay raises and evaluation bonuses like the government employees. I think that something that could be improved. I enjoyed the people that I worked with. Immigration Court was an amazing and interesting experience. Helping people in this difficult procedure and world of immigration law was meaningful.
Pros
Fun office, very understanding and family cultured environment
Cons
as a contractor no paid time off for weather and shut downs
Very supportive agency
Financial Analyst/Auditor (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 23, 2018
Management is very supportive and makes sure you are successful in your position. All employees work together very well and constantly learn from each other. Annual training is provided. It is a very enjoyable place to work.
Pros
excellent benefits, regular training, friendly caring atmosphere
Cons
lack of career ladders
Department of Justice
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSJuly 20, 2018
This was a very good job. You are tested before entering if pass the test then you get hired and then you will be tested again when you go off to training. The only thing I don't like is you miss the test by one point you still get sent home with no ob. The management was good. The work environment was good.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Loose your job if your test score are not 70 or above.
Excellent career
Firearms Instructor (Former Employee) –  Glynco, GASeptember 21, 2018
Excellent benifits, not everyone is cut out for this job. Stressful and dangerous. 3 week academy in glynco Georgia. A lot of training opportunities. You can move all over the US if you want to. Paid moves, good 401 and retirement package.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Dangerous profession
Secure employment with great benefits
Various Positions Held (Former Employee) –  Otisville, NY 10963August 28, 2018
I retired after 26 years of Federal service working in a Federal Prison. You can have a meaningful career with an agency that truly values a diverse workforce. You will find a diverse workforce employed from entry level jobs to senior management positions. Our main focus is to protect public safety by ensuring that federal offenders serve their sentences of imprisonment in facilities that are safe, humane, cost efficient, appropriately secure, and provides reentry programing to ensure their successful return to the community. The employees at federal correctional facilities are "correctional workers first" and perform correctional work regardless of their specific occupation. Our long-standing culture of being a close-knit family sets us apart from other agencies - at the BOP you don't just get to know your co-workers, you make life long friends.
High stress levels
Cook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Forrest City, ARAugust 11, 2018
Working for the BOP is very stressful, and you have to be aware of your surroundings at all time. There are different areas where you can be trained on to further your career.
Benefits
Cons
Hours
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 3, 2018
Excellent benefits, retirement, health, dental, and vision.
Life insurance.

Good place to advance especially if you are mobile and can move around.
Good Job Security; Little Autonomy, Salary Below Average
Division Counsel (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 16, 2018
Job Security is good and benefits are decent.

Difficult to change ingrained culture or entrenched bureaucracy. Salary difficult to live on in major city.
Assigned as a Consultant to the Federal Department of Justice
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Department of JusticeMarch 10, 2018
I was never a Federal employee at the Department of Justice (DOJ). Over the Years of working for AGS, INC and then later Keane Federal Systems, I had been assigned as a Consultant to many different Federal Agencies on a wide variety of projects. Each DOJ agency and each sub-department had slightly different managers and management styles. It was demanding work that required me to continuously improve my technical skills. It was rewarding work because at that time in my life I was continuously learning. I often fell asleep with my nose in technical books and government regulations.
Pros
Keane offered a lot of benefits including educational benefits.
Working at the Mt. Dept of Justice - Gambling Control Division
Financial Analyst/Auditor (Former Employee) –  Gambling Control Division - Helena, MtMarch 27, 2018
On a regular basis we were required to work excessive hours to complete an audit on time. The division was very supportive. They allowed flex time and provided any training as needed. It was like a close knit family atmosphere and was a joy to work for.
Pros
benefits, flexible schedule, close knit working environment
Cons
long hours on a regular basis, no career ladder in my position
Fulfilling Federal Agency employment
Assistant Director for Personnel Security (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 17, 2018
I was a Division Manager, always busy with a staff of 125 employees, Federal and contractors, in DC and MN. Every day presented new challenges requiring creative solutions. Workplace culture was fast-paced but enjoyable. Management was supportive.The hardest part of the job was "There werre not enough hours in the day" for the work at hand.
Pros
Federal employment benefits
Job security
Office of the U.S. Attorney (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 25, 2018
Best job if you aren't looking for advancement. You pretty much have a job for life and the benefits are excellent. Best for moms with children because it's flexible.
Very fast pace, stressful, not for family-oriented people.
Supervisory Correctional Officer- Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Jonesville, VASeptember 25, 2018
Stressful, however, is enjoyable with the right people to work with. Cutthroat in the promotion area as well as mismanaged government funds. Bureaucratic in nature as well as do not follow their own policy. They change the policy to fit their agenda or the situation, they do not support good ideas, many of the management staff refuse to listen to their lower staff.
Pros
Great People to work with
Cons
horrible management once past lieutenant, no lunch breaks, 20 hour days.
I was proud of my role at the Department of Justice and praised often.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHApril 19, 2018
There was no hidden agenda ever at the DOJ. We all worked together as a team toward a common and fulfilling goal. The atmosphere was one of a solid working group of individuals who valued each other's ideas and allowed for comment and opinion on a regular basis.
Pros
Exemplary working atmosphere.
Cons
Salary not commensurate with cost of living.
Review Summary
Executive Office of the U.S. Trustees (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2018
Overall, good place to work. Great Benefits, and Pay! Training is provided on an ongoing basis to keep the employee up to date with the latest technologies. Hardest part of the job could be the commute if your not use to commuting.
Benefits
Cons
Commute
It has been a pleasure to serve my country as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer working in the Department of Justice
Emergency Preparedness Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 17, 2018
During the past 21 years of employment, I have enjoyed my various assignments with the United States Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Prisons. I have worked with all custody and security level inmates from MAX/Custody to COMMUNITY/Custody. Whether working at a level four United States Penitentiary or Federal Prison Camp, the line staff as well as the Executive staff have always been professional. I truly loved and enjoyed it all.
Pros
Serving the public
Cons
Inherently dangerous supervisiong federal inmates; gangsters, terrorists, and cartel members.