United States Department of Justice Employee Reviews

Productive work place,with great opportunity
Senior Officer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2019
Working for the Department of Justice for 20years, was a great experience. I have many great accomplishments,and was ale to utilize my skills, with the professional training that was provided me.

The hardest part of my job, was at time somewhat stressful, during emergency situations, dealing with various types of inmates, due to the training that the Bureau of Prison's provided, I was able to maintain my professionalism, being a leader and overcome many obstacles.

I enjoyed my career here, I am grateful for the opportunity that was offered to me, the many training courses that was given, as it will carry me through a life time in the work field, to utilize my professional skills, and make me a valuable asset in my future endeavors.
Pros
Pay, benifits, retierment plan
Cons
Madatory over time
Honorable place for public service
Regional Counsel, Mid-Atlantic Region (Current Employee) –  Annapolis Junction, MDMarch 22, 2019
The U.S. Department of Justice is a wonderful organization to hone legal skills while serving our nation. Public service necessarily includes public trust, so we are held to the highest standards of integrity. I demand it of myself, my staff, my co-workers and my supervisors.
Pros
Good work life balance
Great place to learn
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2019
Great place to learn

Great place to learn. Good work life balance. Flexibility. Many great relationships and many opportunities for growth. DOJ is great.
Intense work
Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 5, 2019
freedom to work cases independently, full benefits, travel, types of cases, satisfaction with the work, personal development, social development, security.
Very good working office and excellent benefits and good working hours
Paralegal/Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 25, 2019
A very good office to work in and excellent benefits. It is a mid-moderate size office with good managers who are very supportive. Hours were very good and if you had emergency family issues, they were very very supportive.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement; limited budget to upgrade tools to succeed
Really enjoyed the opportunity to advance and the gym at work
Secretary Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2019
I enjoyed the type of work. I learned how to use the Cloud and calendar for appointments. I had the opportunity to take free classes online. I was able to go to the gym on my break or after work. There were excellent healthcare and retirement benefits.
Pros
I enjoyed being able to use the gym after work hours
Stable
SPORTS SPECIALIST/UNICOR FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAFebruary 19, 2019
Great job! I enjoyed the employment. I was able to accomplish all of my goal during my time with the department. I was challenged daily and able to handle the stress of the job.
Pros
stable salary
Cons
night shift
Old school mentality
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 18, 2019
Very slow paced...very intensive work..career advancement is very hard..Bebefits are great...old school mentality for managers ..waterfall approach to projects where business in mving toward Agile environments
benefits
Cons
not much career advancement
Challenging work enviroment which can change instantly from docile to extremly challenging
Senior Officer (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 16, 2019
Excellent place to work with upward mobility available especially to those willing to relocate as necessary. Pay is good and gets better as you move up. Which is even more likely if one is willing to relocate as is necessary for the positions applied for.
Pros
plenty time off available once accrued.
Cons
Varying work hours all based on seniority.
Good job security, opportunity for advancement
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2019
If you want flexibility in terms of location and advancement it is the job for you. The pay is excellent and the benefits are descent. Your hours can be unpredictable.
Great working environment
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2019
I enjoyed my time at DOJ, unfortunately, I left to attend law school in another state. If given the opportunity would work for the agency again. The work environment allowed paralegals to be mentored by seasoned attorneys.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
limited appointment term
very good wrok place
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  300 N Spring StreetFebruary 7, 2019
I learned there how to work with Prolaw which is a specific computer program. Most of the people there was friendly. I had two supervisors there, both was very nice people.
Par
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCFebruary 2, 2019
ok for the most part. i had problems with a few people but fell on deaf ears.

My mother had cancer, it effected my performance and they were very understanding to a point.
Pros
some good
Cons
some bad
Great first full-time job
Paralegal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2019
Being a paralegal shaped my career and professional skills. Everyone I worked with was very intelligent, friendly, and collegial. I learned a lot and am grateful to have them on my resume.
Not recommended
Attorney Advisor (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 27, 2019
I would not recommend working for the BIA. A few years ago I would have encouraged folks to apply, but management ( using that term loosely) has changed and the working conditions are more like a daycare than a professional organization.
Workplace
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 21, 2019
A typical day for staff would include but not limited to transfers, incoming buses from the U S Marshals, prepare for releases, halfway house transfer. Conduct interview if varies local, state ad federal agencies.
Pros
flexible
Cons
stressful, extremely short of staff
Operational Support Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2019
Good place to work. Lacks advancement opportunities in many ways. Working odd hour shifts can grow tiresome and work can be scarce. Recruiting from Masters programs is causing a back up of over qualified candidates competing for only a few spots.
Very productive
G.E.D Tutor (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAJanuary 16, 2019
This was a crear place yo learn and achive un alot of áreas. Treated fairly. Help was always available. Working with others there was super easy well they allá look out forma one another.
Fine
Trial Attorney (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job is the work. The least enjoyable part of the job is the middle management. A typical day is spent traveling, on the phone, or in a meeting.
Pros
Work
Cons
Productive and professional work environment
Visual Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VAJanuary 15, 2019
The Department of Justice is recognized as an outstanding organization within the federal workforce. The various agencies that make up the department offer numerous opportunities for qualified applications seeking federal employment.
Pros
Flexible work hours, outstanding benefits and paid vacations. Many opportunities for advancement throughout the Bureau .
Cons
furloughs