United States District Court Employee Reviews

No inbetween
United States Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2018
This job is loaded with extremes. Things are either great or terrible. It is super challenging to find a good work/life balance with this job. I typically work a minimum of 55 hours in a week, sacrificing a lot of my nights and weekends to the job. In turn, I miss out on a lot of my kiddo's events and sports. Management says that they hears us when it comes to complaints regarding workload, but never seem to offer a realistic or helpful fix. I truly love the job, but need to have weekends and vacations to be without work. I enjoy working closely with the federal judges and the offenders/offender's family. Diving into discovery materials is also a fun experience for me. This process allows me to learn and grow everyday.
Pros
great benefits and salary advancement
Cons
challenging work/life balance
excellent
Record Reproduction Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2018
Great organization to work for good benefit, training, and salary. Great Management team, nice workplace and culture, the hardest part of the job is not meeting the need of the member.
Great p[lace to work
CHIEF U.S. PRETRIAL SERVICES OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2018
...if you can stand working for federal judges. Seriously, there are few politics to worry about and the leadership is typically sound. Good benefits and a lot of good people.
Courtroom Deputy/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 31, 2018
I enjoy the work, the pay, benefits, and coworkers. Like many government jobs, its a stable job and there are opportunities for advancement. I hope to retire from here.
Relax and slow paced, however salary increase and advancement are difficult
Deputy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 29, 2017
It's a good place to work if you start off with a high pay and position, however, if you start off at a lower scale, which means you are not a manager, you will find it difficult to advance yourself because of the lack of opportunities to advance. Salary increases are difficult to come by because of all the red tape involved. Besides the salary and chances of moving up, it's still a good place to work, with solid security, and great benefits. Management is fair and always willing to work with you, which you will not find at other places. You'll find great co-workers there and run into great people all the time.
Pros
Pension, and TSP (very similar to a mutual fund, but better)
Cons
salary and position advancement
Slow paced environment with the opportunity for employees work efficiently. High case loads but with the ability to manage deadlines.
Courtroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 18, 2018
Depending on what your task assignment may be, it can become boring due to repetitive work. You do not need a specialized degree or certificate as mentioned as many opportunities are in the job training and experience.
Pros
Benefits and retirement plan
Cons
Repetitive work may become boring
At Will Employment
Quiet as a Church Mouse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39201November 4, 2018
Very professional place to work. Well funded and the hours are optimal.

You are an "at will" employee and you work at the pleasure of the judges. Which means you can be fired at any time for no reason.
Pros
Professionalism has few peers
Cons
Does "Grey Man" theory ring any bells?
Working here
Docket Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2018
I am grateful for this job. I would love to advance quicker, however, things happened to where someone else was favored and got the promotion. It's a good starting place for anyone.
Pros
pay check
Cons
no advancement
Unpaid Judicial Extern
Honorable Judge Morton Denlow (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2018
Great opportunity to get a front row seat in one of the most important federal districts in the country. Great staff, culture and environment. Judges and clerks are readily available to help teach
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
The employees are fairly compensated for the work we do.
Operations Specialist/Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2018
One needs to have discipline, focus, and be flexible with changes in job duties and policies. I enjoyed the fact that I never had the same day twice. You also need to have a thick skin when it comes to working with the general public.
Pros
Great long-term benefits
Fun place to work
Appeals Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2018
Very good place to work. Very professional and interesting place to work. The people were very nice and supportive. There were chance of moving up in the court.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
You do more than one job
Challenging and Rewarding
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 30, 2018
If you like a quick pace work environment with rewarding challenges and character development, the U.S. District Court is the place to be interested in.
Pros
Challenge and Benefits
Extern
Judicial Extern to the Honorable Judge Kendall (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2018
Strong collaborative culture. Interesting workload and great mentoring programs to ensure swift and successful transition for part time externs hoping to learn quickly.
Rewarding, challenging, good work-life balance
CASE ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 1, 2018
Working with the US District Court gives you a sense of accomplishment in that you are serving the citizens of your country, upholding the US Constitution and, in some occasions, being an first-hand witness to history.

The work is challenging enough to keep you on your toes. You can never get complacent or you'll fall behind.

Most employees stay for decades, creating a real "family-like" culture.

High level of performance is expected, standards are high. This is not a job for the complacent.
Frustrating,backwards,caste-like social structure
Courtroom Technology Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2018
This would have been a rewarding job except for a mean spirited, jealous manager who micro-manages to the point of abuse. We are talking about name calling, lying, blaming, taking credit of work done by others. This person has never had another job, and only has the one that he has because someone died.This will probably be a good place to work once he retires.
Pros
Paid leave
Cons
see above
Handled all types of legal documents in litigation proceedings.
Docket Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Processed all types of documents in civil and criminal litigation.
Interfaced with attorneys and judges to provide pending case information. Provided statistical reports on various types of cases to Supervisors. Worked within the New York court system and obtained a good legal background.
Pros
Obtained good background on the working of the legal system in NY.
Cons
Work was sometimes repetitive.
US Probation Offuice
United States Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 27, 2018
Great place to work, benefits outstanding. Room to grow, Annual pay increases, ability to work interdependently, hours were to work was decided byyou.
Pros
Grat career
Cons
Management needed to improve.
I was a contract employee on an as needed case by case basis.
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2018
I was a panel member on the Criminal Justice Act panel for Courts in the northern district of Ohio. I was determined by our Federal Bench to be qualified to represent indigent defendants in prosecutions brought by the United States of America.
Pros
Interesting complex cases.
Cons
Short notice of assignments.
Workplace
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 19, 2018
Overall I would say that this was a good company to work for. Great management and flexible schedules to meet the need of the employee. I would recommend this company!
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
A professional work envirionment
Clerk (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 27, 2018
Manage open cases assigned to the court.

Through the years here at the SDNY, I've learned how various parts of the court operate. From filing open/closed case records, assisting in the jury department to register the public, and acting as support to attorneys and the judges chambers to guide cases through the settlement process.

The work place culture is what one would expect. Professional and collegiate.

The hardest part of working in the courts is adjusting to the fact that you are a government worker. There a certain things one gives up. Such as a right to protest or speak on issues of the day that matter in the world. A government worker can con not public participate in such activities.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping your fellow American navigate through the court system, and show them that the system is designed to serve them actually.