United States District Court Employee Reviews

Invaluable Experience
PANEL MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 12, 2018
My four-year appointment as an attorney approved to represent indigent criminal defendants in federal court pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act, I gained invaluable experience amongst a most elite group of professionals and am honored to have acquired such a prestigious opportunity.
I was a contract employee on an as needed case by case basis.
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2018
I was a panel member on the Criminal Justice Act panel for Courts in the northern district of Ohio. I was determined by our Federal Bench to be qualified to represent indigent defendants in prosecutions brought by the United States of America.
Pros
Interesting complex cases.
Cons
Short notice of assignments.
Frustrating,backwards,caste-like social structure
Courtroom Technology Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2018
This would have been a rewarding job except for a mean spirited, jealous manager who micro-manages to the point of abuse. We are talking about name calling, lying, blaming, taking credit of work done by others. This person has never had another job, and only has the one that he has because someone died.This will probably be a good place to work once he retires.
Pros
Paid leave
Cons
see above
Interesting place to work
Appeals Clerk/CM/ECF (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 5, 2018
At my last postion for the US Court I was an Appeals Clerk
preparing cases for the appeals court in Georgia and local Judges.
Maintaing Appeals records that are post trails and hearings.
Pros
Enjoyed the work and learning consistantly
At Will Employment
Quiet as a Church Mouse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39201November 4, 2018
Very professional place to work. Well funded and the hours are optimal.

You are an "at will" employee and you work at the pleasure of the judges. Which means you can be fired at any time for no reason.
Pros
Professionalism has few peers
Cons
Does "Grey Man" theory ring any bells?
N/a
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2018
Did Internships and learned a lot from my supervisors. People are very friendly. It a great place to work everyone helps one another and works as a team.
Working here
Docket Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2018
I am grateful for this job. I would love to advance quicker, however, things happened to where someone else was favored and got the promotion. It's a good starting place for anyone.
Pros
pay check
Cons
no advancement
Extern
Judicial Extern to the Honorable Judge Kendall (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2018
Strong collaborative culture. Interesting workload and great mentoring programs to ensure swift and successful transition for part time externs hoping to learn quickly.
Close relationship with coworkers
Case Administrator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 5, 2018
Good place to work with excellent opportunity to advance. The Clerk of Court at the time was very hard to work with. She is no longer in that position.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Somewhat stressful
excellent
Record Reproduction Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2018
Great organization to work for good benefit, training, and salary. Great Management team, nice workplace and culture, the hardest part of the job is not meeting the need of the member.
Fun place to work
Appeals Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2018
Very good place to work. Very professional and interesting place to work. The people were very nice and supportive. There were chance of moving up in the court.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
You do more than one job
Great p[lace to work
CHIEF U.S. PRETRIAL SERVICES OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2018
...if you can stand working for federal judges. Seriously, there are few politics to worry about and the leadership is typically sound. Good benefits and a lot of good people.
The employees are fairly compensated for the work we do.
Operations Specialist/Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2018
One needs to have discipline, focus, and be flexible with changes in job duties and policies. I enjoyed the fact that I never had the same day twice. You also need to have a thick skin when it comes to working with the general public.
Pros
Great long-term benefits
See below
Pro Se Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90012August 23, 2018
Great place to work as staff attorney writing opinions for Magistrate judges. If you are a new lawyer, it is great training. If you are a senior lawyer, great opportunity to see how the inside of a district court works.
No inbetween
United States Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2018
This job is loaded with extremes. Things are either great or terrible. It is super challenging to find a good work/life balance with this job. I typically work a minimum of 55 hours in a week, sacrificing a lot of my nights and weekends to the job. In turn, I miss out on a lot of my kiddo's events and sports. Management says that they hears us when it comes to complaints regarding workload, but never seem to offer a realistic or helpful fix. I truly love the job, but need to have weekends and vacations to be without work. I enjoy working closely with the federal judges and the offenders/offender's family. Diving into discovery materials is also a fun experience for me. This process allows me to learn and grow everyday.
Pros
great benefits and salary advancement
Cons
challenging work/life balance
Slow paced environment with the opportunity for employees work efficiently. High case loads but with the ability to manage deadlines.
Courtroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 18, 2018
Depending on what your task assignment may be, it can become boring due to repetitive work. You do not need a specialized degree or certificate as mentioned as many opportunities are in the job training and experience.
Pros
Benefits and retirement plan
Cons
Repetitive work may become boring
Courtroom Deputy/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 31, 2018
I enjoy the work, the pay, benefits, and coworkers. Like many government jobs, its a stable job and there are opportunities for advancement. I hope to retire from here.
Challenging and Rewarding
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 30, 2018
If you like a quick pace work environment with rewarding challenges and character development, the U.S. District Court is the place to be interested in.
Pros
Challenge and Benefits
Cons
Employees were friendly and helpful.
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 24, 2018
Other employees assisted me with filing legal pleadings and briefs for the court. They were courteous and knowledgeable. The workplace was pleasant.
Pros
Other employees were helpful.
Workplace
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 19, 2018
Overall I would say that this was a good company to work for. Great management and flexible schedules to meet the need of the employee. I would recommend this company!
Pros
Na
Cons
Na