United States District Court Employee Reviews

The employees are fairly compensated for the work we do.
Operations Specialist/Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2018
One needs to have discipline, focus, and be flexible with changes in job duties and policies. I enjoyed the fact that I never had the same day twice. You also need to have a thick skin when it comes to working with the general public.
Pros
Great long-term benefits
See below
Pro Se Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90012August 23, 2018
Great place to work as staff attorney writing opinions for Magistrate judges. If you are a new lawyer, it is great training. If you are a senior lawyer, great opportunity to see how the inside of a district court works.
No inbetween
United States Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2018
This job is loaded with extremes. Things are either great or terrible. It is super challenging to find a good work/life balance with this job. I typically work a minimum of 55 hours in a week, sacrificing a lot of my nights and weekends to the job. In turn, I miss out on a lot of my kiddo's events and sports. Management says that they hears us when it comes to complaints regarding workload, but never seem to offer a realistic or helpful fix. I truly love the job, but need to have weekends and vacations to be without work. I enjoy working closely with the federal judges and the offenders/offender's family. Diving into discovery materials is also a fun experience for me. This process allows me to learn and grow everyday.
Pros
great benefits and salary advancement
Cons
challenging work/life balance
Slow paced environment with the opportunity for employees work efficiently. High case loads but with the ability to manage deadlines.
Courtroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 18, 2018
Depending on what your task assignment may be, it can become boring due to repetitive work. You do not need a specialized degree or certificate as mentioned as many opportunities are in the job training and experience.
Pros
Benefits and retirement plan
Cons
Repetitive work may become boring
Courtroom Deputy/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 31, 2018
I enjoy the work, the pay, benefits, and coworkers. Like many government jobs, its a stable job and there are opportunities for advancement. I hope to retire from here.
Challenging and Rewarding
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 30, 2018
If you like a quick pace work environment with rewarding challenges and character development, the U.S. District Court is the place to be interested in.
Pros
Challenge and Benefits
Cons
Employees were friendly and helpful.
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 24, 2018
Other employees assisted me with filing legal pleadings and briefs for the court. They were courteous and knowledgeable. The workplace was pleasant.
Pros
Other employees were helpful.
Workplace
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 19, 2018
Overall I would say that this was a good company to work for. Great management and flexible schedules to meet the need of the employee. I would recommend this company!
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Productive employer.
United States Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 4, 2018
Productive work environment. Good people to work with. The hardest part about the job is the population of people you supervise. Relaxed work hours.
Intelligent coworkers mostly good natured
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 29, 2018
Interesting and fulfilling work. Dealing with the public offers the opportunity to meet many colorful individuals. Each has a unique situation that has brought them to the court and many of them feel the need to share their story when they file.
Pros
Government paid holidays
Cons
Stressful at times

Want to know more about United States District Court?

Ask a question
Beautiful building
Volunteer Law Clerk to Honorable Mark Wolf (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 11, 2018
All law related stuff is stressful but the people I worked with were amazing and have become long term friends. The cafeteria had amazing food and people from offices all around came to eat there.
Rewarding, challenging, good work-life balance
CASE ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 1, 2018
Working with the US District Court gives you a sense of accomplishment in that you are serving the citizens of your country, upholding the US Constitution and, in some occasions, being an first-hand witness to history.

The work is challenging enough to keep you on your toes. You can never get complacent or you'll fall behind.

Most employees stay for decades, creating a real "family-like" culture.

High level of performance is expected, standards are high. This is not a job for the complacent.
Great judge for externship
Judicial Extern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 24, 2018
For an externship, good experience with bankruptcy judge as a law student. Only a 10 week program so can't say much about anything else whether it be about work life balance, etc.
Would Not Recommend
Manager II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2018
In order to advance depends on who you know not what you know. Certain people can move to the top of the ladder while others are stagnated. Management had unfair practices and HR personnel were not trustworthy.
Fun place to wok.
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 4, 2018
Great and talented folks work here. A wealth of information and plenty of people willing to lend a helping hand. Not much room for advancement, hence why I left the agency.
Great opportunity to observe human nature.
Court Reporter (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMay 4, 2018
Job gave me the unique opportunity to realize how grateful I should be for my blessings in life. This coupled with the opportunity to work with first class attorneys was very rewarding.
Pros
Easy schedule, easy capture as a court reporter.
Cons
As a contract worker, my costs rose quicker than my contract rates.
Horrible supervisor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  VermontMay 2, 2018
My Boss was horrible Drama Queen head HR the LEAST confidential office personnel there all dislike her acting like she does "is terrifying to people"
Productive, quiet and welcoming environment
Researcher and Visiting Attorney (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMay 1, 2018
The work environment is small, productive, quiet and welcoming. There is good communication among co-workers which facilitates the resolution of any problems. Working hours are flexible for and there is a lot of respect for all the people who work there. The excellent safety system is important and provides tranquility for all employees and volunteers.
Cons
Need to have a car
Great opportunity
Courtroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 22, 2018
Great opportunity for young hard working individual with desire for upward mobility. A chance to learn, progress and be rewarded for your efforts. Highly recommended.
Pros
Great people and learning experience.
Cons
Very demanding
Terrific Judge
Judicial Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 15, 2018
Terrific judge. Terrific court. Interesting cases and lots of opportunities to learn. Obviously, if you can get a clerkship, you take it. And one in LA is really worthwhile.