United States District Court Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Rewarding, challenging, good work-life balance
CASE ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 1, 2018
Working with the US District Court gives you a sense of accomplishment in that you are serving the citizens of your country, upholding the US Constitution and, in some occasions, being an first-hand witness to history.

The work is challenging enough to keep you on your toes. You can never get complacent or you'll fall behind.

Most employees stay for decades, creating a real "family-like" culture.

High level of performance is expected, standards are high. This is not a job for the complacent.
Great judge for externship
Judicial Extern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 24, 2018
For an externship, good experience with bankruptcy judge as a law student. Only a 10 week program so can't say much about anything else whether it be about work life balance, etc.
Would Not Recommend
Manager II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2018
In order to advance depends on who you know not what you know. Certain people can move to the top of the ladder while others are stagnated. Management had unfair practices and HR personnel were not trustworthy.
Fun place to wok.
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 4, 2018
Great and talented folks work here. A wealth of information and plenty of people willing to lend a helping hand. Not much room for advancement, hence why I left the agency.
Great opportunity to observe human nature.
Court Reporter (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMay 4, 2018
Job gave me the unique opportunity to realize how grateful I should be for my blessings in life. This coupled with the opportunity to work with first class attorneys was very rewarding.
Pros
Easy schedule, easy capture as a court reporter.
Cons
As a contract worker, my costs rose quicker than my contract rates.
Horrible supervisor
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  VermontMay 2, 2018
My Boss was horrible Drama Queen head HR the LEAST confidential office personnel there all dislike her acting like she does "is terrifying to people"
Productive, quiet and welcoming environment
Researcher and Visiting Attorney (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMay 1, 2018
The work environment is small, productive, quiet and welcoming. There is good communication among co-workers which facilitates the resolution of any problems. Working hours are flexible for and there is a lot of respect for all the people who work there. The excellent safety system is important and provides tranquility for all employees and volunteers.
Cons
Need to have a car
Great opportunity
Courtroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYApril 22, 2018
Great opportunity for young hard working individual with desire for upward mobility. A chance to learn, progress and be rewarded for your efforts. Highly recommended.
Pros
Great people and learning experience.
Cons
Very demanding
Terrific Judge
Judicial Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 15, 2018
Terrific judge. Terrific court. Interesting cases and lots of opportunities to learn. Obviously, if you can get a clerkship, you take it. And one in LA is really worthwhile.
It was a very good experience!
Legal Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 12, 2018
I was able to learn a lot about how the court system works. I was able to attend various court hearings. I enjoyed working in the Clerk's office and learning from my coworkers.
Terrible place to work
N/A (Former Employee) –  LaedMarch 24, 2018
Terrible place to work way to stressful upper management its awful. Expectations are unrealistic lots of back stabbing. Would not recommend working there. High turn over rate. Morale is very low.
I was a judicial intern
Judicial Intern (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMarch 12, 2018
I had the pleasure of working for the Honorable Guillermo R. Garcia. Judge Garcia is wise beyond his years. He has an open-door policy and is great at guiding young lawyers/future lawyers. he is passionate about what he does. Very fair.
great place
COURTROOM DEPUTY / JURY ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Agana Heights, GUMarch 4, 2018
Every day is a new day. Never boring. Every arrest, criminal, civil, bankruptcy, military parking tickets new and interesting. Never a dull moment.
Pros
always a good reward for good work
Cons
working too many hours in a day with family waiting
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 1, 2018
Federal jobs are usually great places to work with professional co-workers and good work-life balance. This one is no exception. Benefits are great, but pay relatively low. Still, you'll have your life.
A professional work envirionment
Clerk (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 27, 2018
Manage open cases assigned to the court.

Through the years here at the SDNY, I've learned how various parts of the court operate. From filing open/closed case records, assisting in the jury department to register the public, and acting as support to attorneys and the judges chambers to guide cases through the settlement process.

The work place culture is what one would expect. Professional and collegiate.

The hardest part of working in the courts is adjusting to the fact that you are a government worker. There a certain things one gives up. Such as a right to protest or speak on issues of the day that matter in the world. A government worker can con not public participate in such activities.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping your fellow American navigate through the court system, and show them that the system is designed to serve them actually.
Internship that I gained legal experience
Judicial Externship (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 22, 2018
During this internship, I was able to gain valuable legal experience. This experience helped me to get prepared for the work I will eventually do in law school.
Pros
Positive working environment that gave me the help I needed
Had a great experience,to bad had to relocate.
Mail Clerk/mover (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2018
The courts was a great place to work at, the management team knew what they were doing and they ran the place well.Learned a lot from my co-workers and superiors.
Positive experience
Judicial secretary (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 21, 2018
Good experience but I soon went back to private practice. I had come to the Court with the attorney I worked for in private practice and I preferred the private sector.
Pros
Great opportunity
Cons
Did not like working at Civic Center SF
Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRFebruary 13, 2018
Excellent work ethics, coworkers have their own community where there is communication and great work relationships. Overall a great place to work at.
US Probation Offuice
United States Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 27, 2018
Great place to work, benefits outstanding. Room to grow, Annual pay increases, ability to work interdependently, hours were to work was decided byyou.
Pros
Grat career
Cons
Management needed to improve.