United States District Court Employee Reviews

IT Technician II/ AV Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 13, 2019
It’s a great place to work as long as Congress is funding it. Working with laid back federal judges was great, admin is uptight but sometimes that happens, overall a good place
Pros
Face time with federal judges, laid back work environment
Cons
Sometimes high stress, sometimes no funding leads to tense times
Great people
U.S. Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 28, 2019
Is a fast-paced and exciting job. Every day is a new opportunity to learn new things about the job. Salary is fair; however, given the prices of the Bay Area home ownership eludes many employees. Must be able to think on your feet, multi-task and have much flexibility in your schedule.
Intern
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  South Florida, FLFebruary 21, 2019
Great experience. Learned a lot during my time working with the District Court. Coworkers were eager to help you learn and grow as a professional. Highly recommend it.
integrity driven positive work environment
Case Administrator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 11, 2019
Loved the job and wouldn't have left it except had to relocate for family. Only down side is the shared additional tasks (i.e. cashier or mail sorter for an hour or so each day) if the person you are partnered up with isn't the best sport about it. Your lunch period could be used to exercise in the provided exercise room. Regular staff meetings in friendly manner to keep employees inspired and informed. Positive and approachable deputy and assistant deputy court clerks. Training done properly initially and continual (i.e. seminars). Helpful IT department. Worked to keep case flow electronically and with physical case files and prepared draft orders.
Pros
positive ethically driven staff
Cons
opening suspicious mail
Great Organization
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2019
Really have enjoyed the years that I have worked here. The only issues you run into are govt shutdowns which is a major issue being a federal employee.
Great Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 28, 2019
A great place to work, where I gained valuable insight into the judicial process and gained many valuable research skills. Getting an insight look into the legal process was an amazing experience for me.
Great Learning Experience
Paid Intern (Current Employee) –  Providence, RI 02903January 27, 2019
Friendly Employees & a great work experience. Everyone is very welcoming with warm hearts. Buy each other lunches when others don’t have. Fun experience, meet new people everyday & helping customers with their cases is the best experience.
Pros
Long lunches
Secure job
Clerk of Court, Criminal Division (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 21, 2019
If you like stability and same similar job duties everyday this is a position you would like. Culture is friendly. I was not challenged within my position and would get bored easily
Challenging work that promotes autonomy and responsibility
Staff Attorney (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 16, 2019
As a staff attorney, I am given the responsibility of managing a large and diverse caseload, and have autonomy to prioritize my casework without constant oversight. I spend most of my time reviewing case filings, researching applicable law, and writing opinions and orders for the judge's signature. This has honed both my writing and my organizational skills. The office environment is congenial and team-oriented. The hardest part of my job is meeting deadlines when I have several opinions due by a certain date. This is also the most enjoyable aspect of the job for me, because I love to be challenged.
Pros
Autonomy; Challenging and diverse casework
Cons
Constant sitting in front of computer
Courtroom Deputy
District of Nevada - Courtroom Deputy (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 9, 2019
In this job, you have to be able to multi-task. Work with the public. Have computer knowledge. Be a team player. Able to start projects on your own.
Super
Internship, Hon. Geoffrey W. Crawford (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTJanuary 9, 2019
As an intern here I got incredible exposure to the practice of law, clerks and the local attorneys. You get to spend as much time in the court room as you like and have actual case issues to work on with the clerk staff.

A tremendous experience for a law student.
Handled all types of legal documents in litigation proceedings.
Docket Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Processed all types of documents in civil and criminal litigation.
Interfaced with attorneys and judges to provide pending case information. Provided statistical reports on various types of cases to Supervisors. Worked within the New York court system and obtained a good legal background.
Pros
Obtained good background on the working of the legal system in NY.
Cons
Work was sometimes repetitive.
Great place for advancement
PRETRIAL SERVICES OFFICER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 5, 2018
A typical day would consist of interviewing new arrestess and recommending bail where applicable, writing reports, attending court hearings, supervising defendants and conducting required field visits.
Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJNovember 28, 2018
Had a fun time working here.
Many avenues to go and lots of helpful people around me.
I recommend working there if you enjoy court room and law jobs and are looking to increase in that way.
Unpaid Judicial Extern
Honorable Judge Morton Denlow (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2018
Great opportunity to get a front row seat in one of the most important federal districts in the country. Great staff, culture and environment. Judges and clerks are readily available to help teach
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
Great legal training
Judicial Extern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2018
A judicial extern at the US District Court is a fantastic opportunity for a law student to gain experience and education into legal research and the day-to-day logistics of court.
Pros
experience
Cons
unpaid position
Invaluable Experience
PANEL MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 12, 2018
My four-year appointment as an attorney approved to represent indigent criminal defendants in federal court pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act, I gained invaluable experience amongst a most elite group of professionals and am honored to have acquired such a prestigious opportunity.
I was a contract employee on an as needed case by case basis.
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2018
I was a panel member on the Criminal Justice Act panel for Courts in the northern district of Ohio. I was determined by our Federal Bench to be qualified to represent indigent defendants in prosecutions brought by the United States of America.
Pros
Interesting complex cases.
Cons
Short notice of assignments.
Frustrating,backwards,caste-like social structure
Courtroom Technology Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2018
This would have been a rewarding job except for a mean spirited, jealous manager who micro-manages to the point of abuse. We are talking about name calling, lying, blaming, taking credit of work done by others. This person has never had another job, and only has the one that he has because someone died.This will probably be a good place to work once he retires.
Pros
Paid leave
Cons
see above
Interesting place to work
Appeals Clerk/CM/ECF (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 5, 2018
At my last postion for the US Court I was an Appeals Clerk
preparing cases for the appeals court in Georgia and local Judges.
Maintaing Appeals records that are post trails and hearings.
Pros
Enjoyed the work and learning consistantly