United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Employee Reviews

Museum/Visitor Services
Visitor/Museum Services (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2019
Worked at the museum for 18 years. My job was to help visitors figure what was available to see, what they wanted to do, explain rules, help them during fire alarms, and solve problems. Typical day started before 8:30 AM and did not end till the Museum closed. They also had extended hours during the summer.
When I was first hired there were over 40 people in my department. By the time I was released there was about a dozen. You are there for a decade (or more) or you get sick of the place. Or get fired for reasons. High turn over. By the time I left many departments were trying to find ways to replace full time employees with interns or volunteers. Some interns were being shared between departments.
Poor kids - doing two jobs at once for no money. A lot of infighting and sometimes pushing work onto other departments. "You deal with the public so YOU can do this."
Upper management treated security, clean up crew, and front line employees (guest services, interns, so on) like servants. Many managers had the basic, cookie-cutter, training you would give to any managers - nothing that would help them in their job in the museum.
VIPs allowed to walk all over you. Visitors were seen as walking wallets. The museum would talk about educating the public but by the time I left it was all about making sure there was enough money for special projects and outreach and getting in the news.
Many of the rules they had to protect the artifacts and equipment slowly fell by the wayside. You would not believe how many times I would get in trouble for TRYING to reinforce
  more... a rule because my manager didn't want to make a visitor upset. I have since learned that many of those rules have been removed or loosened. You can use your phone anywhere in the exhibits now (which means good luck trying to keep the people from taking images or talking loudly on their phones).
While the money was good it isn't THAT good for DC and the general region. Also access to the library was also nice. Few visitors went up there. There were field trips, classes you could take, and so on. All historical in nature. But there was problems with the workplace culture. Many departments felt the Visitor staff was there just to help THEIR departments. Membership wanted you to beg for money. Education wanted you to pass out their material. So-on, so-forth. Only a few departments understood how honey works better than vinegar. And God help you if you happen to upset a VIP. OR at least people who felt their was important. Or were rich.
And, of course, your manager could make or break your job. Those who did get along with staff were thought of being too friendly. One got in trouble for telling us the truth. The chain-of-command had a LOT of Chefs for very few Indians. How would you like to have two managers telling you to do TWO different things? Because they were never on the same page having entered their positions in different years with different training and ideas on how to do the job.
Pros
If you love history, working for the public, discounts, and learning from the greatest historians this is the job for you.
Cons
A Federal Museum is STILL Federal with all the problems that come with it - cutting corners, untrained management, money issues, infighting.
n/a
Youth Ambassador/ Tour Guide of the Bringing (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 23, 2018
Very conducive working environment. Colleges are very respectful and a typical day runs smoothly. The most enjoyable part of the job is educating visitors on both the history of the past and also the issues of today's society.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Worked as a technical lead consultant. Worked from remote.
Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 17, 2018
I worked as Technical Lead consultant through BTRG. I worked with BTRG for upgrading their PeopleSoft Financials from 9.0 to 9.2.
As part of our upgrade, we need to restructure the Chart of Accounts.
Pros
Work from home (Remote)
Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2018
Not everyone feels this way but my experience has been great. it really depends on who your boss is. Mine is excellent so my experience is also really good. Amazing institution with incredible mission.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
High stress
Poor Management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 29, 2017
The culture there awards flattery more than competency. If you are not willing to to play that game, look elsewhere. Also,there is a severe a lack of opportunity for growth and advancement. Personally, I was basically doing the same job duties after over 10 year with very little chance to learn any new skills or duties. So many good people have left there due to lack of advancement opportunities that it is a real shame.
Pros
Good benefits; excellent mission; wonderful programs
Cons
Many inexperienced managers do not seem to know how the manage employees
Excellent mission
Online Fundraising Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2017
The mission is excellent and the lessons of the Holocaust are needed now more than ever. The people that work here are the most dedicated people I've ever worked with in my entire career.
Great cause, horrible place to work
Development (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 1, 2017
Management is abrasive, more concerned with protecting their own positions. Very limited opportunities for career advancement and training, especially if you're female. A lot of the people here have been in the same jobs and in the same roles for 10+ years and are stuck in outdated way of doing things. Unfortunately the management is not open to new ideas so your skills will languish here.

The Development department is aggressively competitive and more interested in achieving fundraising goals than in establishing meaningful relationships with their supporters. Everyone is constantly throwing others under the bus, getting into fights during meetings, etc. There tends to be a regular turnover of staff as the culture creates a lot of unnecessary stress. The Museum is also seriously understaffed so it's not uncommon to work well over 40 hours a week without compensation or acknowledgement. You will also be replying to emails and taking phone calls from management at all hours of the day and on the weekends. Most people I know are trying to leave the Museum for better opportunities and pay. It's not a happy place to work.
Pros
Great cause, meaningful mission
Cons
Limited career advancement and mentorship opportunities
Good Place to work
Senior Audio/Video Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2017
Great working with internal and external customers. OK life to work balance. Exciting, challenging and changing work environment.
Would recommend this company.
Good experience and people
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 17, 2017
Working at the museum was better than I had expected. I got a chance to meet with survivors and learn about genocide as a whole. I always will cherish my time there.
Fullfilling and collegial work enviroment
International Tracing Service Researcher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 6, 2015
A typical day at work includes researching in several databases and the museum archives. After completing research I compose a chronologically detailed letter to the requester describing the information found. I've learned that I can become content competent and an expert in a very technical database. I work well with a collaborative managerial and colleague spirit. I am in constant communication with my co-workers and manager with updates and collaboration. The hardest part of my job is the content. The most enjoyable part of my job is when documents exist for a patron who had previously no idea about their loved one's path during World War II. I enjoy the service aspect of my job.
Pros
excelent health care and transit benifits
Cons
little room to advance
Excellent summer internship
Visitor Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 11, 2013
The staff was great, the museum provided many enrichment and learning opportunities.
It is a meaningful place to work where you know you will be making a difference at the end of the day.
Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2013
I had a somewhat positive experience working at the Museum.
You can never forget that the holocaust happened.
Collections Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 14, 2012
The most enjoyable part of this job was playing so many roles, such as hosting films and planning events. I was able to be passionate about my job.
Pros
museums are great work environment!
Cons
it is a sad history and situations where a lack of humanity are vividly displayed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss