United States Institute of Peace Employee Reviews

Cant even process payroll
Resident (Former Employee) –  Washington dcMarch 9, 2018
USIP appears to be a seemingly organized place; however, after 1 month there the issues became readily apparent when it came to simple administrative task. My first pay period I was paid extremely late and my second pay period I was not paid at all. In both instances USIP attempts to blame PNC bank, but it is clear that they are not organized enough to prevent these issues. Human capital is an agencies most valuable resource, but unfortunately they dont get that at USIP... if they did they would play their employees on time per the law and DC code.
Cut my teeth/great managers
Senior Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2018
I learned a great deal at USIP. I met some of my good friends there.

I also had many of my publication activities at USIP.

I worked on multiple projects--terrorism, extremism, peacekeeping, budget management, project management, research, database management
Pros
Experience and contacts
Management does not adhere to its mission
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2018
Refer to the recent Glassdoor reviews to learn more. Directors are rude & unprofessional. Hostile working environment. You think HR will try to resolve the issue but they are useless. I realized it really made more sense to have the congress come together & eliminate their budget appropriation.
Pros
Great building, a few of the staff are really dedicated
Cons
I can go on all day
Excellent organization to work with.
Lead Researcher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 4, 2017
I enjoyed working with the USIP for the short-period in 2016. While my role was to produce a survey of research conducted on provision of public goods by non-state actors, I did interact regularly with USIP colleagues, who were unfailingly gracious and supportive of my work.
This was a contract assignment, Excellent Non profit organization to work with. Has a great footprint on the This was a contract assignment, market.
Corporate Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2017
This was a contract assignment, Excellent Non profit organization to work with. Has a great footprint on the Internationale Market. Management was supportive and gave the latitude to think outside of the box to source and fill the position quickly.
Great mission, good people, poor management
Senior Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 1, 2016
USIP is an organization with a great mission and dedicated people, however, it suffers from a lack of direction. The organization has also been in a constant state of reorganization for the last 6 years and has difficulty with its identity.
Pros
good colleagues, mission driven
Cons
Poor management, lack of transparency, lack of accountability
Brian's road
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2016
I like the work environment and overall devotion of the company. I have always been treated like a team member and I would like to work for our client directly one day.
United States Institute of Peace (USIP)
Senior Program Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 14, 2015
USIP is a wonderful place to work. What I thought would be a job for a year or two turned into eleven years!

USIP's mission, to end violent conflict around the world, is as noble as it can be. Working for and towards peace and being paid for it was a difficult gig to give up.

After eleven years it was time for a change. Leadership could be more effective at USIP. This is my only critique.
Pros
amazing mission and work
Cons
leadership lacks the skills to manage effectively
Staff (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 25, 2015
I truly enjoyed working at the United States Institute of Peace. The building is beautiful, the benifits are great, and it's a fun environment.
Pros
Work/life balance, perks offered such as a gym and cafe on-site
Cons
There really is not any room for advancement
Great working environment
Tutor Coach (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2013
Great interaction with a widely diverse group of professionals and students.
Pros
networking