United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 17,277 reviews matching the search See all 17,304 reviews
depends
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 19, 2018
I didnt take a single break/lunch break while working at the post office. Supervisor was constantly calling my cell phone to get updates on where I was located. I was almost shot in shoot out during my route and was told "hahaha get used to it, its a bad neighborhood"
They are very busy and fast paced.
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Corinth, MSOctober 19, 2018
The hardest part of the job is meeting the time requirements because the volume is so high. I arrive early in the morning and work till I am finished with my mail route.
Contract workers had poor management and pay
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  anthem, AZOctober 19, 2018
I loved working here. I liked the fast paces environment and the job duties. I however did not like the management and pay. The managers are disrespectful and un professional. They pay was way below the work I had to do.
Pros
Fast Paced, Busy, Friends, Learning
Cons
Management, Pay/benefits
Educational and fun workplace.
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 19, 2018
It was one of my most enjoyable place to work at because of the diversity of the people employed there. Many people from different walks of life and ages helped made my experience that more rewarding.
Pros
Health care, good pay
City Carrier Assistant
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHOctober 19, 2018
It was an awesome place to work. I was new to the area, didn't know my way around, didn't have a smart phone, and got lost a lot. Besides that if you don't mind the elements and enjoy walking it's an ideal position.
Good job to have during a depressed economy.
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, CAOctober 19, 2018
Good job to have during a depressed economy. Excellent for mental & physical exercise. Autonomy. I took "OWNERSHIP" of my assigned job and routes.

Set up mail and packages in the “line of travel” and delivered to six different routes as a “relief carrier.”

Pros
Great mental & physical exercise.
Cons
Management was aloof & disorganized & disconnected
US Postal Service is not a good place to work
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAOctober 19, 2018
Current and former employees typically report a very negative workplace culture in which employees are not treated with dignity and respect. Often the term "plantation mentality" is used to describe the predominant management values and abusive practices.
too much drama they all need to grow up
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXOctober 19, 2018
i used to love going to work for usps, but now i hate it its too much drama, adults acting like high school kids, back stabbing each other, we all used to help out each other ever since new post master got there now its really bad i used to be able to work a lot almost get close to 40 hours and now ive only been able to work 2 days a week if that i have 2 kids and a husband that works and goes to collage, we cant pay our bills with the hours or days they been working me. i would have back then tell people how good working for usps was but not now i wish it would go back to the way it used to be.
I enjoyed keeping pace to get the job done
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  1401 W. Fort Street, Detroit, MI 48233October 19, 2018
Most of the employees developed teamwork to get the job done. It was less stressful when you worked as a team, for each team member took their responsibilities serious, and got the job done.
Pros
We worked as Team players, and got the job done
pse clerk
PSE Clerk (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 18, 2018
typical day at work when you start you train with a regular for a week
learned how to sort mail to the right address and use the machine to sort mail
management is alright not the best
hardest part of the job is learn quick and do it correctly
enjoyable of the job working for the usps
Pros
good pay, working for usps
Cons
too many hours no steady schedule if your not a regular
Fast-paced and minor micro management
Pse Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAOctober 18, 2018
Be ready to train and have tough skin. Do your work and go home because making friends is NOT apart of your job description. Avoid the regulars who are rude and gossip. Listen and follow all of the rules. Meet your shop steward and stay professional at all times with everyone. Write down EVERYTHING; military time, time clicks, disputes, emergency contacts, verbal agreements and important details you hear and see in regards to your well being. Purchase comfortable shoes because you'll be walking or standing most of the time. Most importantly always be on time and have a good attitude.
Pros
Earn a decent pay
Cons
Some labor and minor micro management
Retirement and Benefits
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTOctober 18, 2018
There is a long line for full time/career positions with the postal service. Employees work well pass 25 years on average. As a part time employee you can work more than 40 hours per week at some locations. You can also sign up for Amazon delivery on Sundays and holidays. Once you get a career position, the benefits are worth the time invested.
Pros
Paid vacation and sick leave. Retirement plan..
Cons
Long work days and weeks.17
Very stressful, poorly managed work place
Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PaOctober 18, 2018
For my time working for and at USPS, I overall had a very poor and negative work experience. The work environment was extremely fast paced and work was rarely ever done on time. Work that was done was gone unappreciated. Staff including myself was poorly trained because managers were unqualified themselves. Management had little or less experience than some employees. USPS was always understaffed which put a heavier work load on the staff they had. I felt that i and as well as others were overworked, and that took time away from me being able to spend tome with my own family. It was mandated we work holidays, and work overtime as well those times. I’ve missed out on what should’ve been a special time on Christmas etc, which should’ve been memorable times. Instead it just brought stress and zero good times.
Pros
Good Benefits & Overtime
Cons
Poor Management, poor work conditions, poor shift hours & none family oriented
Cutthroat
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYOctober 18, 2018
The most I can say is get in make your money and leave. This is a good job but the people and environment is lacking a lot of professionalism. CROSS YOUR T's AND DOT YOUR I's … Good Luck
Good environment to work in
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 18, 2018
My overall experience at the post office was a good one. The environment was a pleasant one and the staff was nice. The pay is excellent with opportunities to advance and long term careers. The benefits were good and the union is a plus.
Pros
Union Job
Cons
Lots of walking in all weather conditions
was an okay experience in my opinion working here
mail handler (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYOctober 18, 2018
was an okay experience in my opinion working here. wasn't too stressful as a mail handler. Management was okay. would probably work there again. from what I remember you get like two lunch breaks so that was cool.
Pros
hours were ok
Cons
have to be exactly on time
Relaxed atmosphere
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Clermont, KYOctober 18, 2018
I work at a small post office. I’m the only one there, so it is pretty slow at times. I love organizing the mail in the mornings and seeing all the familiar faces come in everyday. I work alone so I have learned a lot about making hard decisions on my own.
Never the same thing everyday
Retail Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Satsuma, ALOctober 18, 2018
We seem to do the same thing everyday, but not really. We put up mail and wait on customers but each day is different in what might happen. The office I work in has a great atmosphere and we work well with each other. I enjoy my customers and since it is a small town I know alot of them by name.
Pros
The hours are flexible
Cons
Early mornings and stressful
I do not like being a carrier
City mail carrier (Current Employee) –  Westbury, New YorkOctober 18, 2018
I do not like being a carrier. They have great benefits but it’s nit worth the pain and suffering. The pay is not equal to the labor. They need more people for the amount of work they have
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not worth the pain
culture
Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 18, 2018
In short it's not what people think once you start working there. Lack of management no proper training and lack of staff. When I first was hired I was excited because I was going work for the government boy was I wrong PSEs are the reason the post office stays afloat.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.6K

2.5InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight