United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 19,303 reviews matching the search See all 19,338 reviews
Not good if you have a family
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 21, 2019
Working six days a week and never having weekends off is extremely difficult when you have a toddler and another baby on the way. The hours are long and you often have to help others out when they fall behind.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Not alot of time off
Usps the wrong choice for anyone
Clerk, United States Postal Service (Current Employee) –  IE, CAFebruary 21, 2019
If you have a family do them a solid and stay clear.,they will write you up for taking your kid(s) to the doctor. If you don't allow them to violate federal laws constantly and abuse you constantly they will target you in all kinds of ways. Management doesn't care about anyone but themselves. No set schedules, always last minute changes without consideration, management only cares about making themselves look great., wants employees to fake deliveries and signatures to avoid bad delivery numbers. Your health and safety are not a concern more of an inconvenience to them. Worst employer ever., the sewer systems are better than the USPS. they also without telling you will alter your time cards and hours., keep logs.
Pros
on time pay if its correct.
Cons
anything else not listed in pros.
Great place to work!
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 21, 2019
The Postal Service is a great place to work! It is not an easy job no matter what craft you are in, they monitor your performance daily and expect you to meet the company's expectations. Safety is their number one Priority! Great benefits. Good starting salary. Great opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Good secure job
Cons
Can be stressful
Working at the post office
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAFebruary 21, 2019
Working at the post office part time was grate for me because it helped me pay my way threw school. I enjoyed learning how to sort mail by zip codes, state, and county.
Controlled Chaos
ARC (Current Employee) –  Snohomish, WAFebruary 21, 2019
There is a lot of chaos here, but it is worth it. No micromanagement. LLVs are just so cool and fun to drive. And co workers are happy to help if needed.
Pros
Pay and Coworkers
Cons
Chaos. Started training in Jan 2018...still waiting for my last day of training...
Stressful work environment
City Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 21, 2019
The job itself is OK but management is unrealistic in it's anticipations of your work abilities. The Co-workers are friendly, helpful, and mostly work together.
From a RCA's view
Rural Mail Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXFebruary 21, 2019
A typical day was pretty rushed, which added to the stress level, but it was also for the most part a very friendly and positive place to work. You diffidently need to be able to manage your time and productivity very well. For me the hardest part about the job was dealing with these trays of loose mail that were for the most part in order for the route but diffidently slowed me down while on the street. My favorite thing was working Sundays, or what we called Amazon days. On these days you would come in gather count and organize the packages for your route and deliver them. There was no regular mail to deal with.
As for management, in my experience for the most part the members of management that I dealt with great and honest people who did right by me.
Pros
Great pay and good benifits, job security
Cons
very little give and understanding when personla matters interfer with work
Alright for what it is.
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAFebruary 21, 2019
Do you want a well-paying, stable job, that is extremely predictable? Do you mind working 10-12 hours in the wintertime? Are you prepared to take good care of your body? Are you okay with a job that lacks mental stimulation? Then this is a good job for you. It just wasn't for me. I couldn't stand it anymore, after a certain point, but I think that's just my personality. It may work for you, depending on your career goals (or lack thereof).
Pros
Pays well, predictable, outdoor exercise, independence.
Cons
Bad work / life balance, somewhat toxic work culture, not mentally stimulating.
Good company to work for if you’re young and have time to invest in the company and for retirement.
CCA Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Beacon, NYFebruary 21, 2019
The USPS didn’t workout for me because I’m in my mid forties and In order to receive a retirement package you need to put in 20yrs into the company. It’s an extremely physical job and even though I’m fit, I’m a petite person and the weight I had to carry on a daily basis while doing walking routes (about 40miles a week) was taking a toll on my body.
Pros
Benefits once you become a career employee, which can take 2-5yrs depending on size of location and needs.
Cons
Extremely physical specially now that Amazon has the USPS delivering their packages.
Quick paced, rewarding
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Easthampton, MAFebruary 21, 2019
Working as an RCA at USPS is a rewarding experience. It is quick paced, but enjoyable. You are truly part of the community you serve in this job. You work hard, but it is a good place to work.
Pros
on you own delivering
Cons
productive and fast paced environment
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCFebruary 21, 2019
The postal service is a great place to work, if you are not looking for a fast paced advancement with the job. The postal service provides independent work and is overall a great career.
Pros
independent, not a constant supervised job
Cons
healthcare
Very stable, secured employer
MAIL CARRIER (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 21, 2019
A typical workday was busy, much more during season. I learned that there is much more to delivering mail than you would expect. The management was professional and always had work to assign you if you were not a full-time, regular employee. The hardest part of the job was juggling work hours with personal life/kids as some days you have the potential to be working pretty long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be out on your own.
Room for advancement.
Supervisor, Maintenance Operations (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDFebruary 21, 2019
Great benefits. Paid time off. Able to advance within the postal service. Certain holidays are paid time off. Working hours are not that great sometimes.
Pros
Great benefits and paid time off
Cons
Working hours
Tractor Trailer Driver
Tractor Trailer Operator (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 20, 2019
Pay was OK, not great. Benefits are good. Management is clueless. These are usually people who have worked their way up the ranks, with no real backgrounds in management or even the department in which they manage. They lie, steal, and cheat at every chance they're given, so watch out. Other than that (which is a pretty big deal) the atmosphere is pretty laid back amongst the drivers. If the managers and supervisors like you, you're golden. Which, I guess, is the same anywhere else. Do your job, keep written logs, record EVERYTHING, don't sign anything without a shop steward present, don't trust anyone. If you're trying to move up, tell only those that absolutely NEED to know.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere, tons of opportunity to "sleep on the job" while things are slow, drivers usually look out for each other
Cons
Hidden racism everywhere, rampant nepotism/favoritism, micromanagement bull
I did not want to leave
Window/Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  massachusettsFebruary 20, 2019
I sustained an on the job injury and was treated like garbage from then on. I did not want to leave my job. I really wasn't given a choice.
Workers Comp got involved and retrained me for a different job outside of The USPS. They paid for me to go to school for 2 years.
Pros
set schedule, no federal holidays worked
Cons
don't get injured on the job
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princeton, MOFebruary 20, 2019
I truly enjoyed my time working for USPS. I got a lot of good exercise and enjoyed talking to customers. Unfortunately I decided to quit after being viciously attacked by a dog. Had it not been for the attack, I would absolutely still be working there.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Mean dogs
Was a good place to work
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CAFebruary 20, 2019
When I began with the postal service it was a good place to work. Very focused on customer service and employee well being. It became very stressful as management goals shifted through the years and it became more about speed over safety. Sadly I do not think o would of made a career of it if I began there in today’s workplace climate.
Pros
Job security, good benefits.
Cons
Stressful
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CLERICAL (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAFebruary 20, 2019
Work duties, are sorting mail and packages according to zip codes, states, countries. Greet customers offering them Postal Services, with great rates.
Too many hours
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKFebruary 20, 2019
Pay is pretty good, but if you have a family, I would not recommend this job. A typical work week was usually over 60 hours a week. the environment was chaotic and unorganized.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Total Waste of Time
PSE Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. George, UTFebruary 20, 2019
They advertise the job as a PSE but all duties describe a clerk inside the office. I drove 70 total miles to test and interview and invested 16 hrs of testing, preparing, driving, and interview. At the interview they tell me it's an on call 2am sorting mail in the back, at multiple locations. Total Waste of Time .
Pros
Cons
On Call. Multiple offices, 15 min call back to mgr expected.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

56.2K

2.5InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight