United States Postal Service

• Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

summary

As a carrier in postal service we should to be ready to work 7 days a week more than 10 hours a day, some week we do not have a day off, some week we receive a phone call in our day off to go to work. Postal service is the most stress full place. The job is mostly psychical job. It's hard but at the same time is fun too. Few hours we are working in the office and few hours we are in street.

The post office is a challenging place of employment. The work never ends, and there are never any layoffs. If you show up most of the time they will keep you on till you want to retire.

Pros

Union

Cons

Union

Good pay, terrible management

The pay for the job was great being that the work was not too hard. Having said that, the management was terrible. They acted like they did not want to be bothered with the problems of the employees. Everything was great but the management.

Pros

Pay

No sense of family

Almost seems as everyone for themselves. Especially if you're not a regular carrier. You have To do what your manager says, even if you have other obligations for the day. they treat it like the military.

Pros

freedom, can wear what you want

Meaningful work, but overwhelming.

USPS does important work for the country every day. You will have a chance to make a difference in someone’s life, you just won’t have much time for your own. There is work here if you want to work, just don’t expect to make a lot of plans you’ll be able to keep.

Pros

Plenty of work hours, a sense of purpose

Cons

Limited work/life balance, a lot of workplace drama, management not suited for the work.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

You'll work plenty of hours

You will work long hours. It's nearly impossible to transfer to another city. They continue to add to your job. You will probably miss all of your kids birthday parties. You will work weekends. You don't build retirement until you make regular, which for RCA's the wait is about 5 years. That time isn't counted towards retirement either

Pros

The TSP is rocking! That's the 401K plan

Cons

You can't transfer. They have complete control of your life.

Decent Pay

Decent Pay, Secure Job, and plenty of OT during the holidays. Job can be somewhat stressful but overall a good job to retire with if you can keep out of trouble.

Pros

pay

Cons

lot of hours

I was lucky because I have a good manager when I work here. The most hard part of the job for me, the six days work week and the long hours. Some people likes the overtime but because I have a young daughter, I cant do lots of overtime. The most fun part of the job we have barbeque day which everyone looking forward to.

Pros

Barbeque day, love it and I have a good manager

Cons

Long day and 6 days work week

Its great

Best job ever. You gotta hustle, but so is every job. I would recommend it to anyone looking to a career, not just a job. Its difficult but rewarding.

Forget about your passion and get to work. It’s the postal lifestyle.

I’ve worked here for about a year and Im miserable. The pay is good enough but not enough to live off and that is overtime included. The benefits are expensive and good luck becoming a regular bc they micromanage everything you do and find a wrong in all you do. Management is so messy, fake, and corrupted. People here are uneducated, disrespectful, and unprofessional.. you can imagine the work environment. You can’t call off at all, there is no meaning to your life but this job. Don’t get stuck here.

Pros

You have a job

Cons

No work life balance, management, hours, everything that is a job.

Not good.

This place has bad management. They don’t train you on anything really. My first day I thought I would at least receive a tour of the building. I didn’t. They just assume I know where everything is. Management is hardly anywhere to be found if you need help. They only show up to tell you you’re doing something wrong even though they haven’t taught you anything. If not for a few helpful coworkers, I wouldn’t have a good thing to say about the overall experience.

Pros

Pretty good pay

Cons

Poor management, no training, 1 day off.

It’s decent pay but VERY unfair

Once you become part of the post office you noticed a lot of UNFAIRNESS. Many people who been there longer get treated like royalty. It’s good pay but definitely not enough to just live at the place. It’s literally next to impossible to get days off.

Productive environment, decent pay and OK benefits starting out.

I had a 6 day work week with rotating Saturday or Sundays off. The work environment is very productive because deadlines have to be met, but still a pretty chill environment. A typical work day for a mail processing clerk included loading/unloading trucks, maintaining a clean work area and scanning/sorting mail and packages. The pay is decent with it being almost $4 more than minimum wage in Chicago.

Pros

Hour lunch break, union, benefits start day 1

Cons

Management, NO work life balance, NO grievance rights until turned over.

I had a love/hate relationship with this position.

The good: as a CCA, you are responsible for yourself once your out on your route. If you have a good work ethic and are driven you will be successful. The Bad: You can work 14 days in a row straight without a day off you. You won't know when you're day off is until the supervisor calls you an hour before your shift starts. Sorry but I litteerly knew how a slave felt. You will most generally be on a different route everyday, Some routes you will walk up to 16 miles so you have to be in good physical shape, If you can make it to be a regular I think it would be a great career choice..

Pros

Provide good training and free water

Cons

See description above

The job itself is not bad.

The people are. We couldn't keep anyone in there and the managers was no help at any time. Some people are very nice and helpful.

Bad

Bad place overwhelming overworked management sucks regulars are lazy you work everyday I hate it and so will u trust me it’s bad I worked there three years

Just a job where you can make money. Don't expect nothing else

Management, is more like a dictatorship. Assuming they can handle and speak to people in any kind of way and you're suppose to just stand there and take it. Have anything and everything in writing, management tends to lie, alot.

Fast pace can be cool if the rt player trains you

Everything was well until they failed to train me on a specific item. They micro manage some want to be manager's and will blame you for their fault

Benefits

Cons

Micro management

It got worse over 3 years

Worked here for 5 years, there is no work balance. When I left right when the pandemic started they forced new people to work insanely long hours. Don't believe the ads.

Benefits

Cons

Everything else

No future.

New hires are paid less than what they were paid a decade ago.Benefits are expensive.You spend most of your day delivering Amazon and not getting paid for it.Management is a joke.The only thing I liked was being there for my coworkers and being part of the union.

Pros

Sometimes the pay is good. You can join the union.

Cons

Say goodbye to your family, friends, or any life outside of the post office.

Retention problems

The basic structure of career and non-career employees is flawed and rife with problems. The result has been chronic understaffing and non-career retention issues.

Pros

Work outside

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

8.2K

InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight