United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Unorganized Organization
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJune 18, 2019
Unorganized management
You’re just a number
Union is selective on what they back you on
Very hard work on your body
SOME people don’t have to have their own vehicle even though it’s the job requirement.
Hours being cut due to new hires...which greatly effects the revolving door cycle.
Only really guaranteed one day a week (Saturday), but will average maybe 3-4
You’re paid based on the time that the PO anticipates a route should take to complete. If you complete it before the evaluated time, you’re paid the entire evaluation time. If you complete it longer than the evaluated time, you work for free.
Health care is avail, but there are no other benefits...no vacation, no paid time, no holiday pay
The best thing about the job is...ordinarily, if you finish with your day early, you’re done for the day
Pros
Evaluated time, pay
Cons
Evaluated time, no benefits, management, disorderly, work load, own vehicle, favoritism, irregular hours
Mail Handler at USPS
MHA/Dock Tech (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 18, 2019
My advise is to be a clerk or PSE if you want to work for USPS. Mail Handler's have the toughest job and you will lift 70 lbs on an hourly basis. Mangement of USPS is terrible and they don't care about you, just the mail.
Hours vary by week.
City Carrie Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ridgefield, CTJune 18, 2019
Management was not close to being the best. The pay wasn't bad but it wasn't amazing either. You don't become a regular carrier until others have retired. It's based off of what carrier assistants joined recently. If you are the last person to be hired in that specific post office and there are 5 others before you, then you will not become regular until 6 people have either retired or left. Carrier assistants have to work ALL Sundays aside for certain holidays. You could be working all week at 10am-4/5pm and then next week 7:30am-3/4 pm. You only really get the best benefits if you are a regular carrier. To me this is stupid because nobody tells you this before you apply. I think it's unfair because some carrier assistants work harder than regular carriers. Carrier assistants get stuck with doing a lot when the post office gets busy.
Pros
Decent Pay, Not with your manager all day.
Cons
Short and non paid lunch, Work hours can be extremely random, Sometimes you are called days in a row to come in at 7:30am when you are scheduled for 10/11am.
Negative
Casual Employee Position (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 18, 2019
This is a negative and hostile work environment. If you work CEP Casual Employee Position for Christmas Help you can not get on as a permanent position. No matter how many times you work Christmas Help. Management lies about future employment possibilities. Management doesn't seem to know what's going on and lies, lies, and lies. Be prepared to wait a month or two to inform you if you are hired. Continue to wait another month or two to start. They waste peoples valuable time not to mention it takes 3 weeks to get paid. They are slow about everything.
If you make regular the pay and benefits are awesome.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ridgefield, CTJune 18, 2019
Great company it’s federal so the structure was perfect for me. You always know what’s expected from you and if your flexible if need be that’s helpful for upward mobility. You gotta become a regular career employee to truly reap the benefits of this federal position. It’s a veteran friendly environment and if you have good work ethic then the sky’s the limit.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits, and retirement.
Cons
The mail never stops so you can’t either. But hey job security.
Self paced
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Clarksburg, MDJune 18, 2019
The office is a quiet environment. You work by yourself and you set your own pace. Each route is timed due to the regular set time. The office is well diversed and management helps with casing there mail and teaching you different working techniques. I'm a rural carrier but essentially a relief carrier. I cover for a full timer when they are out of the office (days off or vacation). You won't get a regular schedule until you become permanent which can take years. The hardest part is becoming overwhelmed by how much mail you have to case and packages.
Pros
Management, healthcare, no furloughs
Cons
lack of hours, set schedule
Postal Work
PTF Clerk (Current Employee) –  Forest Ranch, CAJune 18, 2019
Very fast paced and customer service is a high priority. I enjoyed the customers. Distribution of the mail is detail oriented. Running the cash register is quite easy and the stamp stock has a lot of variety.
no life
City Carrier Assistant (CCA) (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHJune 18, 2019
this consumes your life for at least 12 hour a day 7 days a week and very hard to get time off. Your life outside of USPS doesn't matter when you work there
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
I enjoyed working for the US Postal Service Office of Inspector General. It offered opportunities and travel.
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 18, 2019
Working for the USPS Office of Inspector General was an opportunity. It offered friendly workplace and staff were equally nice. Due to frequent trips it took me away from my family but it was a requirement for the job so I had to do it.
Package Handler (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 18, 2019
Job has to be done slot of packages but the company has excellent benefits in friendly environment in good social management holiday's has excellent pay in terrific increase growth within the company .and you have to be quick on feet scan package's and load the trucks knights can be he'll along by you're self 350 boxes scanned within 1hour but overall untied postal services it's a great company to grow with good for you're family .
Pros
Good working space easy to get along with employees
Cons
Overworked not enough pay always short staff
Not much room for advancement
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 18, 2019
I worked for the USPS for several years, both as a PSE and as a Career employee. I was a dead-end job when I started and even more so these days. The jobs themselves are easy. The schedules are usually lousy. The ceiling for advancement is pretty low. Not a very fulfilling job.
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 18, 2019
When you work for the USPS as a mail carrier, trust me YOU will work but it is a very good job, I've work at a couple of different facilities and the postmasters can be unbearable and not helpful as well as the shop stewards, which are there to help you in any situation, (productive) but they wasn't, I went to the UNION on may occasions with problems.
RURAL CARRIER ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJune 18, 2019
great place to work, especially when you are a carrier, Get to meet new people, establish relationships with your regular clients, get to travel to different places dependng on your route.
nice place to work
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2019
• Loads and unloads containers of mail.
• Transport mail and empty equipment throughout the building. Open and empty containers of mail.
• Operates and monitors performance of automated mail processing equipment or performs manual sorting of mail. Collect, bundle, and transfer processed mail from one area to another.
• Delivers and collects mail on foot or by vehicle providing customer service in a prescribed area.
Extremely busy
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  TallahasseeJune 18, 2019
Great paycheck and you’ll be very tired. Don’t care to work for the company again due to the lack of compassion they have for their employees. The employee does not matter tot he employer
Productive and a great place to work.
Carrier USPS (Former Employee) –  DecaturJune 18, 2019
Don't be late, be respectable, really sell yourself, pay attention, don't give up, even if it takes a while to receive an answer. Just keep applying. Try to keep your appointment interview. Plan your day around your interview, because they can last anywhere from 3hrs to a whole day process.
The money is good. The work is a lot when co workers don’t come to work. It’s hard to get an off day to do anything but it’s not for everybody.
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 17, 2019
It’s okay if you like been outside despite the weather conditions. The work seems harder when your co workers don’t come in. It’s like 10-12 hr work days.
Pros
The money is good
Cons
Benefits are good
Fast paced work environment
City Carrier (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 17, 2019
Have held several positions from management to carrying mail. the hardest part of the job is dealing with several different personalities. The beat part of the job is being outside enjoying the fresh air delivering to great people.
Interesting projects and very smart people
undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 17, 2019
Interesting projects and very smart people; my team was highly motivated and very strategic; definitely learned a lot during my time here; the office staff were all very nice
It was a job.
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 17, 2019
I was seasonal and I was injured on the job, which caused me to loose my job. They didn't even give me a chance to heal before I was released from my job! So very unfair! But that's the government for you, so very unfair!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

56.5K

Women's ratings

2.6Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss