United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 18,418 reviews matching the search See all 18,453 reviews
New Albany Post was incredibly unorganized.
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INDecember 12, 2018
I was given the wrong route of travel for the first 4 days i attempted me route. I was brand new to the job and was placed on the route no one wanted. Plus the manager gave me the wrong route on top of the route being the only that cased backwards. I was not made aware of that until it was too late. Lastly, the policy is NO LEFT TURNS. nOt only did the route I had to figure out for myself consist of left turns (3 of them to be exact) All 3 turns were left off the route all together.
Pros
Money
Cons
Conditions
Part time job with full time hours
Mail handler / Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 12, 2018
I was only a temp worker with the USPS but they worked us like we were full time workers. We worked overtime and was told only a hours or so into our leave time that we had to stay longer. Pay was minimal, but I was young and needed the funds so I didn't complain.
Hard work, long hours, odd shifts
Acting Manager, Distribution Operations (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 12, 2018
A secure job with good benefits. Expected to be extremely flexible, especially during holiday season, working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week on night shifts.
Pros
Health benefits, thrift savings plan, job security.
Cons
Long hours, working weekends, night shifts, especially during holidays
Horrible Management
clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 11, 2018
Run. Do not bother applying unless you like horrible managers and crummy work.
Worse Job I ever had. Horrible culture and poor management. I would not recommend anyone becoming a Clerk for the Post Office unless you've exhausted all other options.
Pros
Cons
everything
good for flexible schedules
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodville, ALDecember 11, 2018
A typical day of work was sorting, loading and delivering the mail. I learned how to maximize my efficiency in order to complete the job faster. The hardest part of the job was the unpredictable nature of it. There were things that were unreasonable about the position. An example of this was that it was a part time position that the employee was expected to have a right hand drive vehicle as well as a "backup" vehicle for use on the job.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no hope of going full time
Fast paced and stressful
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monett, MO 65708December 11, 2018
This is a very fast paced job and is stressful. There is a lot of walking and physical activity and also mental. The pay is good, but no worth working every weekend and missing family time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
physical, mentally straining, no work/life balance
Really stressful, too many hours of work and they don’t care about their employees.
CCA (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2018
It’s stressful because you are responsible for the mail and package deliveries. You don’t go home unless you’re done with everything and sometimes they don’t give you help. They don’t care about their employees but the mail being delivered. If a dog bites you or you have an accident, it’s your fault!
Rough job that pays fairly well.
USPS Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLDecember 11, 2018
Hard work where people get worn out and ill as well injuries all the time. Management making bad decisions that make the work day even harder. Over worked and no care about us just money in managements pockets.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Bad management and working conditions.
Enjoyed working in various Post Offices
Postmaster Relief (Former Employee) –  Fresno County, CADecember 11, 2018
A typical day at work was sorting out the mail and then putting them in the appropiate box. Selling customers money orders and stamps.
I learned money management during transaction close out. The hardest part of the job was when the close out wasn't matching the daily sales.It would take some time to figure it out but not impossible. The most enjoyable part of the job was that we all got along and helped each other out.
Pros
I really enjoyed working for the post office.
Workplace is generally upbeat & supportive amongst mail carrier & clerks
Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Epsom, NHDecember 11, 2018
The United States Postal Service is a failing government entity. With billions constantly in the red they continue to micromanage their front line personnel & belive the pencil pushers are more important than the letter carriers & clerks..
Pros
It is a job that can still be a career, if you can handle the micromanaging
Cons
See previous criticism
tough place to start over later in life.
Assistant City Carrier. (Former Employee) –  providenceDecember 11, 2018
I lost my job of 22 years because the company I worked for went out of business. I tried the Post Office as a City Carrier Assistant. There was no schedule, day to day and had to work Amazon Sundays. I hated the fact that I couldn't plan anything because I did not know when I would be working or not working. Because of this, turnover is very high, even career employees told me that they can't keep new help. I think the potential is there to be a great career opportunity and it is a little better if you do get career. I think if they just treat the new help a little better, have a schedule, they wouldn't have to waste all of that money training new people all of the time.
Pros
ok pay.
Cons
no schedule for new employees.
Great place to work and people friendly
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Kearny, NJDecember 11, 2018
Working with the post office was definitely a challenge I got to work at many stations and learn each one of them at a fast pace no one was self centered if I needed help they keep you busy and the work is a piece of cake
If you like working 6 days a week..
Postal Clerk, Postmaster Relief (Former Employee) –  Seville, OHDecember 11, 2018
The company was fine but 6 days a week until I retire was not for me, nor the mandatory overtime. It was a good place to make enough money to reach for a higher goal like education.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough not-at-work time
Life Time Job
Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2018
Serviced 36 excellent years for the USPS had many different positions excellent upward mobility program over all great job. Would highly recommend employment with this company, excellent benefits, paid leave excellent pay.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Overtime
Unpleasant job experience
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CTDecember 11, 2018
If you don't know your way around a town, get ready to feel the pressure as there is little to no reference to city routes. A good sense of direction is a MUST, if not, you will be lost and wasting a lot of time to get your work done on time. The on the job learning process can be harsh. Very little co - workers were genuinely helpful, others will find a way to get under your skin.

Since I was behind and fighting to survive, I barely took breaks and never sat to eat an actual lunch, instead I just took protein shakes to drink on the go. Half hour (lunch break) is taken away from your actual worked hours, even if you didn't use it (unfortunately)

Expect supervisors to be unprofessional and call you out when you don't meet their expectations. They WILL talk down at you. Lack of respect and constant intimidation from management (excluding the Postmaster) was one of many factors that drew me away.

Sunday's were delivering Amazon packages. I wish those days were optional. It's a mess for the new ones and little to no help was given for you to succeed (At Manchester hub).
Pros
Helpful co-workers
Cons
Schedule was given day by day, lack of professionalism, being called out in front of everybody in the office, not having the opportunity to have lunch
management
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2018
my manager in my area was a great leader. but supervisor for the whole floor was a major headache. never been bullied so much in my life. lets just say if youre not filipino and a female you are a threat.
Fast paced in-house work. High pay for full timers
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHDecember 10, 2018
Fast paced fair pay. Management doesn't like to hear about problems with other employees. They have a good work environment. Professional. Co-workers help you. Stay until you get full time and it will be one of the best jobs you can ever have
Pros
Good benefits if full time
Cons
Part time seasonal workers get very little of anything
Excellent Work Place
USPCS (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2018
Postal Service is probably one of the best career I've had in the past. but I was holding the position of (Casual Worker) or on contract employee. when my time was up I had to resign and move back home to care for my parents. Excellent boss and co-workers,
Time Management
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, WADecember 10, 2018
The US Post Office is a lot more that delivering letters. With the advent of online shopping packages have to be delivered. This can become very tiresome and frustrating because there is never enough time in the day.
Great pay and benefits, bad work/life ratio
RCA USPS (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHDecember 10, 2018
This job pays well hourly, has amazing benefits including a pension, which is unheard of nowadays. However, the management could be massively improved upon. Poor communication and problems with scheduling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.9K

Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

57%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

62%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss