United States Postal Service
56Below average

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews in Houston, TX

First and foremost, you have to be thick skinned. The majority of management could care less about you. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are far and in between. At large city plants, night time shifts always get overtime announcements. There are a lot of people that do not work, and the ones that do, are ridden pretty hard with almost zero appreciation. I have only worked with three management members that are worth working hard for. The rest are just immature adults who are on a power trip. The work is rough on your body, but is easy enough. The money is incredible for how easy the work is. There are awesome people at the plant, but you have to be careful what you tell anyone. All in all, if you keep your head down and just work, its not a bad job.
Pros
compensation
Cons
90% of management, childish adults, poor organization
Stay away from this company unless you can tolerate a constants negative work environment. All management treat employees like scum of the earth. No time for your family
Great place to work. Nice environment, fast pace. The pay is very good. The management is very organized and great training. Great befits and vacation time.
OverallBest place to work for without a degree. They as also have very good insurance and a good retirement plan. Plus you can join TSP[401] plan. Safety is a plus with the Pistal Service.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Very great place to work for. Great benefits, hours, coworkers, pay. My experience was great working for the post office. Will do it all over again !!
Pros
Money
Cons
These people treat you like garbage! I always thought the PO was a good place to work until I got hired. Many supervisors act as if the PO is an extension of their military service. Although if they loved the military that much why didn’t they stay enlisted until retirement....? They run you like a wild chicken, talk crazy to you, EXTREMELY disorganized (internally), everybody got a nasty attitude, and it’s literally just like high school (USPOHS - United States Post Office High School). I was glad for the money. I definitely worked for every dime, but I have no desire to ever work at the PO again. Good Luck!
Pros
Searching..
Cons
Disorganized, dirty bathroom/lunchrooms, ok pay, no benefits, incompetent supervisors/managers, people screaming incoherent announcements over speaker, etc., etc.., etc.
Steady guessing game among superiors and management. No structure no breaks no hazard pay and one days off. Constantly picking up the slack of others when call in occur
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
Too much overtime
The United States Postal Service does have a structure to which one moves forward securely. However, the culture is first in, first considered, veterans preferred. Also, time constraints hold you to the position you hate most long before you can advance.
Pros
Safe pay, benefits, and once you're in, you're privy to any job you wish to move forward to that the public never has knowledge of.
Cons
Vague and fickle employment offerings, never an opening at a location near you, any job you wish to advance to requires no less than 2 years prior experience or a 4 year degree, asking for help or guidance feels very impersonal, no way to work and enjoy your earnings
I am very proud of being a city carrier. The pay and benefits are the best, especially for a family with children. I love the outdoors and work on your own at a steady pace
Pros
busy and the time went by quickly
Cons
Hot weather, rain, and cold
I sort mail daily and input data for mail carriers to deliver. Working for USPS was a good everyday job. During the holidays the post office get overwhelmed with packages and cards.
No people skills shown by management. Slow to react to safety concerns. Schedules are very demanding with little or no concern for family and meeting a wide range of safety issues across all tours. More evident on the off tours.
Pros
Does offer some security.
Cons
working conditions are sub par.
Pay was excellent hours was horrible, and takes forever to become a regular so you're required to work 6 days until then nut other then that if i was a regualr and had 2 off days i wouldve stated
Pros
excellent pay and benefits, lots of overtime
Cons
required to work 6 days
Management cares Mostly of getting mail delivered and not so much about employees. You have no work life balance , all work you will miss time with your family/ kids.
A company that you can retire from, invest, great medical and life insurance, get a chance to meet all walks of life, educating the public on postal mailing procedures
Horrible management No breaks No flexibility Bad work environment Hard to get in contact with upper management Discrimination Work you like a slave
I Really enjoyed my time there, I loved the flexibility of being out in the public everyday amongst the diverse environment that I was in. This job provided a very nice life for my family and I. I would highly recommend to anyone.
This is a bs company who gets away with a lot from S. Harassment to fraud/forgery at the workplace. I hated it and it is the worst place I’ve ever worked! Money is good but you deal with a lot that management covers up and get away with.
Fast paced warehouse environment.Performs a variety of clerk duties required to process mail using automated mail processing equipment or manual methods of importation and distribution.
It's decent but sometimes it feels as if it's not worth the struggle. There favoritism, over worked and under paid handled rudely. Sometimes if feels as if no one cares.
Management totally sucks here, they don’t respect you as a human being, they talk at you and like a child. Intimidation is rampant. No structure. No professionalism. Positive changes fall on deaf ears. I was displaced out of my position possibly due to retaliation from reporting manager.
work not matter what the weather condition is.Case all classes of mail in sequence of delivery along an established route.Withdraws mail from the distribution case and prepares it in sequence for delivery.
Pros
pay and overtime
Cons
management