United States Postal Service

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews in Oakland, CA

the diversity of people i worked with and the job security, union.
i loved working with a very diverse group of people, i have yet to work in a business where there was that level of diversity. Also had the best Union I've even joined, they really worked for and looked out for all people.
Job Security
There are a lot of lazy people working in there and I can see that the management has a difficult time trying to make them work and often times the ones who are determined to do the job has an extra burden for carrying out the job of others. Since it is a federal company, the management can only do so much because they are trying to reduce expenses by not crossing with the Union.
Last option
This company has no regard for a balance work life. Please only apply if you are really flexible with your schedule. Physical work environment. Unprofessional management
Pros
work out
Cons
dysfunctional
they have a good retirement good plan
USPS has good job security. They have many crafts to choose from, and you can switch crafts anytime. They are backed by the union and have a good retirement plan
Worst job
This is the worst job. Do not work here. You are treated like a slave by management. The employees are very rude. Favoritism is everywhere. Racism is everywhere. Sexism is everywhere at this job. Worstttt job ever. If you are quiet/shy person like me do not work there.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Good job.
US Posral offers overtime and job security. You get a pension and a thrift savings plan and a social security when you reach the golden years. A great career and income.
Not a good job
Not a good job they messy and don’t pay enough not a good job not good at all they use they employees and make them do all kind of work they do they work and other people work who work there and been there for years and don’t do nothing
Mismanagement
Doesn’t care for employees over worked mail carriers not ever post office is the same though have to find work and life balance which is hard for mail carriers
Repetitive work life
This job is very repetitive and not very much required thinking. The hardest part of this job is the consistent heavy lifting, pulling, and pushing of bulky packages and/or mail.
Job Stability
The Culture is good for advancement in many fields. The hard part of the job is the stress level of some positions. The work force is busy and must be done in a timely manner. To be a part of the Management team requires patience and a willingness to work long hours.
Pros
Many positions available.
Cons
Can be stressful
Kiss your life good bye
Postal employees are expected to have everything figured out by the time you leave training. They will leave you on your own and you have no idea where you are going! They will flat out not pay you. You have to keep track of your hours because supervisors are not held accountable when they delete employee hours. The supervisors are unorganized which means you take the blame when they dont do something correctly. You stay out all morning and night. You will work 6-7 days a week . If you have other options do not come here.
Pros
Off-site lunch, Paid Time Off, Benefits
Cons
Benefits expensive, never have time to live, supervisors not to nice
It’s a place you’d only want to work seasonal
Work seasonal , don’t get stuck unless you want the unnecessary drama that management brings it’s like being paid to go to high school ( haha ) . Even if you show up on time and do your work you’re getting under somebody skin . Management really know nothing about the work or operations they just yell and treat you like dogs while you make them look good this Oakland Plant to be exact
Management and job culture
Management and job culture are horrendous. Plain asinine and unprofessional managers. The orientation process was a joke. On the one month eval, the manager didn’t agree with what my feedback and had it changed to a more acceptable ones that would reflect her efficiency as a manager.
Loved it there!
It was a great experience! Very much so
physically demanding but absolutely great career choice when working with certain managers it can be challenging but overall it’s amazing!
Working for the Postoffice.
Sometimes you get a lot of hour sometimes you may not. The overall culture is very diverse. Meaning you get people from everywhere with different religion etc. Management is only okay it depends on the person.
Pros
Get a lot of hours most of the time or at least 40.
Cons
How they treat you
Very busy workload, kept day fast paced and interesting.
Was able to learn the different levels of operation of handling mail. The people were pleasant and very helpful. It was a very good working environment.
Pros
Pay was fair and good.
Cons
Mail bags were heavy
I liked working here...
I found myself getting real intune with the job and overtime was the best part $25 overtime during holidays. I was taking care of the bills and rent. If I could go back I would.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Poor relations
This place is line high school
People are always spreading rumors about other people. Management doesn't care about,you, there is no reason to go above and beyond because you will never be recognized for it, but let you do something wrong a they will try to write you up. Supervisors play favorites. Pay should bebetter, takes about 10 years to max out your pay. Union is good to be a part of..
Benefits
Cons
Management sucks, people always want to be in your business. Nosey people
If you have no other option and don't mind manual labor...
Great money, huge commitment. They want you for 20+ years and they guarantee you money with no sleep for the first few years. They don't want you to go to school or have hobbies. They are scrambling for workers because of competition too. Even so, if you can stick with it, you can raise a family from the Post Office.
Pros
Good money, great benefits, job security, and overtime.
Cons
Almost demanded overtime, schedule, and management.
Team work, productive, competitive and fast paced.
I am working in fast paced work environment. I work long hours. It has nice benefit packages and career advancement opportunities. Nice coworkers and management. I get paid over time and penalty overtimes. Paid holidays.
Most toxic organization I've ever worked for
Worst work environment I've ever experienced, all because I was heavily misled. I'll just paste the rant I gave them in the email they sent me after I quit, inquiring as to why I wouldn't go back to USPS:

"I don't know where to begin.... the United States Postal Service is the most unprofessional, disrespectful, unintelligent, arrogant cesspool of systematic ignorance I've ever witnessed in my entire life. Privatization is honestly the only real solution to all that plagues it on every level. I should've followed my first mind and turned down the job when I caught the first red flag in the form of the trashy lady in administrative laughing at me with a derisive tone as we ended our phone conversation due to a simple miscommunication on my behalf (seriously, why USPS insists on putting disrespectful, non-people-persons in people- person positions just escapes both business logic and plain, old common sense). I stated during my hiring process that my goal was to become a Window Clerk, as the customer service skills required align with my career path as an eventual real estate broker, with USPS being a stepping stone for me while I study. I was told that taking the position as a PSE was the precursor to that, granted I make it through the 90-day probation period. The way this was explained ultimately proved to be misleading, as I was under the impression I could relatively waltz through a transfer after a mere 3 months; the reality of the situation wasn't specified, which was either I wait and hope a Window Clerk spot opens up and that a supervisor offers it to me before someone
 - more...
Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.
7.6K
Women's ratings

2.6Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.