United States Postal Service
Happiness rating is 56 out of 100

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier in Portland, OR

Loved working for USPS. It was my career. I really enjoyed working with the public. Working for the Post office really kept me in shape. I would definitely recommend it to others. There are many different positions available besides this. From HR and accounting to the cafeteria. They have it all.
Extremely toxic environment and management will work you to the bone. After working at least 12 hours a day, 6 days a week you barely have the energy to even enjoy your one day off each week. If you express feeling burned out from the workload you’re met with coworkers and management telling you to just deal with it bc this is “just how things are.” When I worked eleven days straight during the holidays I had coworkers tell me “well Ive worked a whole month straight before” as if it’s some kind of competition for who had to endure the most abuse in this company. Money is alright but it’s not nearly enough for all the work we have to do and poor treatment we have to endure. Most of the time, I don’t even take a lunch break bc of the constant pressure to finish my route at a decent time, and nagging from my supervisors. There’s a very high turnover rate in this company due to the insane workload and abuse from people in charge. I’ve heard lots of new coworkers say this job really isn’t what they thought it would be. It’s a shame because most of my coworkers are the hardest working people I’ve ever met in my life, and it’s heartbreaking considering how much we’re overworked and how poorly we’re treated in this company... I would think twice before applying here, and know just what you’ll be getting yourself into...
Pros
Lots of hours, some great coworkers
Cons
Lots of hours, constant stress from the workload, abusive/inept management
Lies. All lies. There is no vacation or time off or schedule for your first 12-16 months! You never know where you’re going to work day to day. How are you supposed to get better when you can’t ever get any proper practice?
Mismanagement from Regional/District offices trickle down problems to the local station managers, who then are pressured to pressure the letter carriers they manage. Policies change all the time, large shifts in workloads also skew towards unrealistic expectations. Fascinating that it all gets done, but still a lot of kinks in the system!
I have been a letter carrier for over 20 years. The supervisors and management are serving in pay grades, that exceed their skill sets. No one in management has any sort of college training or people skills. Postal management only Promotes unintelligent people who are puppets and will do whatever they were told regardless if it’s right or wrong. Management dysfunction at this company starts at the highest levels and trickles down there and competency and promotes an inferior working environment due to their lack of experience and
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I liked this job because I was almost always on my own as long as you meet United States Postal Services standards for casing and delivering mail, accurately and fast.
Pros
Nice pay, nice working environment
Cons
To many chiefs not enough indians.
Close attention to detail and patience sorting and Organizing handheld scanner system. Operating heavy machinery loading and unloading able to stand on feet for long periods of time
There's a lot to say about being a letter carrier. You're outside all day, pretty independently; there are days where you're really going to love it. There will also be days where you're gritting your teeth just imagining working anywhere else. If you don't mind working somewhere close to 50 hours a week, sometimes 60 when you're new-- well, you'll be just fine. You'll fall sound asleep within 5 minutes of your head hitting the pillow just about every night. Not for everyone, but it has its perks.
Pros
Nice way to stay in shape, an honest living
Cons
Short lunches, huge time commitment
Postal service was a great place to work 30 years ago. Now regional managers micro manage without knowledge of local conditions. Local station managers have little to no say in station policies or operations. Cutthroat management style where moving up is all that matters, not what’s best for the service.
Pros
Pay and benefits. Limited supervision while delivering mail.
Cons
Management. There is a right way, a wrong way, and managements way.
There is a lot to be said about this company. They do have some strong points but ultimately if you are ambitious, go somewhere else. They don't treat people well, neither employees or customers. You work a lot of hours, so the pay is alright but only due to the tons of OT pay. There is a lot of internal fighting between management and carriers. Screaming and threatening type of fighting. Even had management call the police on a carrier. I have tons of stories and was only there 2.5 years. Everyone blames everyone and nothing ever gets fixed. Decades of problems are stacked on top of each other and no one seems empowered to actually make a difference. The upper management team, who seems to be the only ones allowed make decisions, just blame the people below them and nothing gets resolved. I initially planned to work my way up the ladder and have a long career there but was turned off by the way the company here in town is run. I hear not every district is this bad. That, with the insane population growth in Portland, made it a very tough job when it really shouldn't be. BUT if you are looking for job security and relatively low responsibility, don't mind have split days off and don't mind working 60 hours+ during the Christmas season, it can be a solid career. The best part is once you make regular, you will never have to look for a job ever again. The culture between the carriers is amazing. The union rocks. I loved my coworkers and that was something that kept me there for as long as I was. This job is not for everyone but it can be a great opportunity - more...
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Angry Management. They are only looking to survive, not looking to improve.
There is a lot of work to be done at the Post Office and it has to be done no matter how many people show up for work everyday. This can cause it to be a rather high stress job with long hours.
Pros
Paid time off, sick leave
Cons
short breaks, strenuous work
A good career choice if you don't have anything going on for the next year or two. Will work so much you wont have time to spend all the money your making. Not very organized place to work its in constant chaos.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Lots of overtime
Here we go again, indeed.com would like for me to fill out this portion of the remaining part to finish the resume to put on line. So I am writing to say great exercise and a lot of leg work.
No me gusta el mal tiempo afuera se trsbaja mucho no descanso no tiempo con tu familia no tienes vida propia
Management that is hard on carriers, never happy with your work, and constantly pressuring employees. The hours, and days are long. You have to accept the fact that you will be drained physically at the end of every shift.
Pros
Government pay, and benefits
Cons
Long hours, impossible management with unrealistic expectations
7 years of enthusiastic work were the most of all the outdoor, challenging work equal the mental drainage of the place. Great customers and difficult, unprofessional management.
A day would consist of not knowing what you are going to get into that day. Only in the morning as you walk in you will find out your work load and how much can you take and how much can you leave behind even tho you don't know if tomorrow is going to be lite or even heavier to add to. The management helps by assigning assistance to the carriers who might need it (there is only a certain number of helpers, so not everyone will get help), yet at the same time needs to makes sure everyone takes all what they can take.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
no breaks, sometimes no lunch
I very much enjoyed working as a letter carrier at the post office. Had my career not been cut short by physical problems, I would still be there today. I loved this job.
Pros
Keeps you in shape
Cons
maybe a little overworked trying to get the mail out
I enjoyed my time with the Postal Service as pay and benefits are very good. I now have a pension with 34 years worked (retired). The two tough things at times are the bad weather, hot or cold to work outside in and sometimes you get supervisors and managers that lose their humanity and manage with a very heavy hand coming down on you when you make a mistake. You need to stay very upbeat in this job.
A typical day at work would include a morning phone call telling me where and when I will be working. It could be at any Post Office in the Portland District. I could start between 7am and 11am. The offices are poorly managed as they can not even get a regular schedule together for their CCA's. The hardest part of this job is working 7 days a week with part time hours. A usual day would be 6-7 hours with Sundays being the exception taking around 4-6 hours.
Pros
Decent pay, easy work.
Cons
Terrible organization, no consistent schedule, no days off.
Try to avoid working for the Post office if you value your social life/ personal relationships / free time.
Pros
22.15 an hour aint bad!
Cons
Work 6 days a week for 6 months and see if you dont want to quit.