United States Postal Service

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier in Portland, OR

Letter
Loved working for USPS. It was my career. I really enjoyed working with the public. Working for the Post office really kept me in shape. I would definitely recommend it to others. There are many different positions available besides this. From HR and accounting to the cafeteria. They have it all.
Hard working letter carriers are often over-worked
Mismanagement from Regional/District offices trickle down problems to the local station managers, who then are pressured to pressure the letter carriers they manage. Policies change all the time, large shifts in workloads also skew towards unrealistic expectations. Fascinating that it all gets done, but still a lot of kinks in the system!
Horrible
I have been a letter carrier for over 20 years. The supervisors and management are serving in pay grades, that exceed their skill sets. No one in management has any sort of college training or people skills. Postal management only Promotes unintelligent people who are puppets and will do whatever they were told regardless if it’s right or wrong.
Management dysfunction at this company starts at the highest levels and trickles down there and competency and promotes an inferior working environment due to their lack of experience and
Great job but very fast paced.
I liked this job because I was almost always on my own as long as you meet United States Postal Services standards for casing and delivering mail, accurately and fast.
Pros
Nice pay, nice working environment
Cons
To many chiefs not enough indians.
Fast pace
Close attention to detail and patience sorting and Organizing handheld scanner system. Operating heavy machinery loading and unloading able to stand on feet for long periods of time
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Not the worst job if you can handle the workload
There's a lot to say about being a letter carrier. You're outside all day, pretty independently; there are days where you're really going to love it. There will also be days where you're gritting your teeth just imagining working anywhere else. If you don't mind working somewhere close to 50 hours a week, sometimes 60 when you're new-- well, you'll be just fine. You'll fall sound asleep within 5 minutes of your head hitting the pillow just about every night. Not for everyone, but it has its perks.
Pros
Nice way to stay in shape, an honest living
Cons
Short lunches, huge time commitment
Fast paced
Postal service was a great place to work 30 years ago. Now regional managers micro manage without knowledge of local conditions. Local station managers have little to no say in station policies or operations. Cutthroat management style where moving up is all that matters, not what’s best for the service.
Pros
Pay and benefits. Limited supervision while delivering mail.
Cons
Management. There is a right way, a wrong way, and managements way.
Tough Place to Work
There is a lot to be said about this company. They do have some strong points but ultimately if you are ambitious, go somewhere else. They don't treat people well, neither employees or customers. You work a lot of hours, so the pay is alright but only due to the tons of OT pay. There is a lot of internal fighting between management and carriers. Screaming and threatening type of fighting. Even had management call the police on a carrier. I have tons of stories and was only there 2.5 years. Everyone blames everyone and nothing ever gets fixed. Decades of problems are stacked on top of each other and no one seems empowered to actually make a difference. The upper management team, who seems to be the only ones allowed make decisions, just blame the people below them and nothing gets resolved. I initially planned to work my way up the ladder and have a long career there but was turned off by the way the company here in town is run. I hear not every district is this bad. That, with the insane population growth in Portland, made it a very tough job when it really shouldn't be. BUT if you are looking for job security and relatively low responsibility, don't mind have split days off and don't mind working 60 hours+ during the Christmas season, it can be a solid career. The best part is once you make regular, you will never have to look for a job ever again. The culture between the carriers is amazing. The union rocks. I loved my coworkers and that was something that kept me there for as long as I was. This job is not for everyone but it can be a great opportunity - more...
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Angry Management. They are only looking to survive, not looking to improve.
High stress job but good benefits
There is a lot of work to be done at the Post Office and it has to be done no matter how many people show up for work everyday. This can cause it to be a rather high stress job with long hours.
Pros
Paid time off, sick leave
Cons
short breaks, strenuous work
Its rough
A good career choice if you don't have anything going on for the next year or two. Will work so much you wont have time to spend all the money your making. Not very organized place to work its in constant chaos.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Lots of overtime
Good secure job
Here we go again, indeed.com would like for me to fill out this portion of the remaining part to finish the resume to put on line. So I am writing to say great exercise and a lot of leg work.
Ambiente de trabajo divertido
No me gusta el mal tiempo afuera se trsbaja mucho no descanso no tiempo con tu familia no tienes vida propia
Tough place to work.
Management that is hard on carriers, never happy with your work, and constantly pressuring employees. The hours, and days are long. You have to accept the fact that you will be drained physically at the end of every shift.
Pros
Government pay, and benefits
Cons
Long hours, impossible management with unrealistic expectations
Very competitive place with luck of professional management
7 years of enthusiastic work were the most of all the outdoor, challenging work equal the mental drainage of the place. Great customers and difficult, unprofessional management.
Detailed and fast
A day would consist of not knowing what you are going to get into that day. Only in the morning as you walk in you will find out your work load and how much can you take and how much can you leave behind even tho you don't know if tomorrow is going to be lite or even heavier to add to. The management helps by assigning assistance to the carriers who might need it (there is only a certain number of helpers, so not everyone will get help), yet at the same time needs to makes sure everyone takes all what they can take.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
no breaks, sometimes no lunch
great job to keep in shape
I very much enjoyed working as a letter carrier at the post office. Had my career not been cut short by physical problems, I would still be there today. I loved this job.
Pros
Keeps you in shape
Cons
maybe a little overworked trying to get the mail out
Good place to work, but you have to deal with bad management at times
I enjoyed my time with the Postal Service as pay and benefits are very good. I now have a pension with 34 years worked (retired).
The two tough things at times are the bad weather, hot or cold to work outside in and sometimes you get supervisors and managers that lose their humanity and manage with a very heavy hand coming down on you when you make a mistake. You need to stay very upbeat in this job.
Unorganized and Hectic
A typical day at work would include a morning phone call telling me where and when I will be working. It could be at any Post Office in the Portland District. I could start between 7am and 11am. The offices are poorly managed as they can not even get a regular schedule together for their CCA's. The hardest part of this job is working 7 days a week with part time hours. A usual day would be 6-7 hours with Sundays being the exception taking around 4-6 hours.
Pros
Decent pay, easy work.
Cons
Terrible organization, no consistent schedule, no days off.
Dramatic Highschool work place.
Try to avoid working for the Post office if you value your social life/ personal relationships / free time.
Pros
22.15 an hour aint bad!
Cons
Work 6 days a week for 6 months and see if you dont want to quit.
Unionized mgmt. rewards the immoral,dishonest,unethical types
THE case for no government unions. Honest people are stabbed in the back by the unions both at the craft level and in mgmt. Pro Marxist all the way. Lots of hate filled people feeling sorry for themselves.
Pros
still trying to think of some...good pay?...lots of vacation time
Cons
rotating days off screws family life, good health plans are dropped regularly
Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.
7.6K
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
United States Postal Service Reviews by Job Title