United States Postal Service Culture reviews

Found 2,842 reviews matching the search See all 21,217 reviews
Productive, stable, consistent and face paced.
Distribution & Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJuly 22, 2019
My typical work day at the U.S. Postal service is always different from the previous day. My work days are often fast paced and time sensitive. I work with a very diverse culture of ethnicites, religious and political backgrounds. My coworkers and I are like a big family. My favorite aspect of my job position is that it is independent and self managed. With this, it's important to have discipline so that crucial shipping related deadlines are meet.
Usps is soul sucking
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJuly 22, 2019
I'm saving up money while working here so that's a plus, but the management and culture here is AWFUL.

A lot of changes need to be made, but no one wants to make them.
Busy fast paced environment
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winder, GAJuly 21, 2019
A typical day at the usps consists of going in, casing up mail and sorting packages. Then heading out to deliver to customers. Getting to know customers is the highlight of my day. Hardest part is getting used to the routes.
Fun and every day was a new challenge
Postmaster (Former Employee) –  Hammond and Oakland, IlJuly 21, 2019
Every day was a new challenge from working mail to driving trucks,
delivering Rural Routes , inspecting city routes to computer work, Supervising employees and waiting on the public. The most enjoyable part was serving the public. The workplace culture was great. The hardest part of the job was endless reports
Very political
Manager, customer services (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 21, 2019
Riddled with extreme political culture. Nepotism at its finest. Upper management out of touch with current job environment. Long work hours. If they done like you, will will get fired, even if you are a good worker. Tread lightly.
not a good job environment
Sales and Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 21, 2019
Some managers really care about you. However, the co workers are not very good. It is a bullying culture. A cliquish environment, if you do not go along with people they will go after you.
Great pay but no personal life.
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 20, 2019
The work culture at the Post Office is awful. During the interview process, I told the interviewer that I would be in school during the Fall. The interviewer should have seen this as an indicator that I would not be a good fit as a contract for hire. The Post Office would have been perfect for me if I was planning on going career. Since I already was persueing a career and education this job was not for me. Plus the training style of the whole management team made me want to quit everyday. I truly hated working there. I would only recommend working at the Post Office for individuals who are planning on making it a career.
Pros
The pay and benefits.
Cons
No personal life and the management team.
Hard job however, I had a great postmaster
Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sandy Creek, NYJuly 20, 2019
The job is a great opportunity. Having great co-workers and supervisor makes a huge difference in any work place. The most enjoyable part of the job for me, was seeing my customers that I interacted with daily.
Interesting.
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 19, 2019
Good pay. Very stressful. Interesting culture. Fast pace. Great daily workout. Interesting coworkers. Career job if you can stand the culture and management.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Insufficient training. Terrible management and coaching
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSJuly 18, 2019
You are not expected or given the chance to excel in your job within 90. Their 1st objective is to get rid of you as soon as possible. You have to be inhuman to be competitive and be worth something to them.
Postal service
Postal Carrier (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNJuly 18, 2019
It was easy enough work, however very physical if you were an on foot carrier. The pay did not match the physical stress and exposure to the elements year round. As well as a competitive and sometimes unpleasant relationship with floor managers.
A decent Government job for those who can be proud of who they work for.
SUPERVISOR, STATISTICAL PROGRAMS (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 17, 2019
I have had many positions at the USPS. I have learned all about the entire process of a piece of mail. The management can be a challenge, it really depends on your supervisor and how they were trained. The work culture can be relaxed, as long as you do your job. the hardest part is starting at the bottom and the amount of time it can take to get as far as you can get. The most enjoyable part was working with some wonderful people and the overall benefits associated with the job.
Good pay and benefits for a tough job.
Postmaster (Former Employee) –  Mattapoisett, MAJuly 16, 2019
Good security, tough environment.

Upward mobility available, but competitive.

Good place to start, not so much for older individuals.

An organization to be proud of.
Great
City Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ellisville, MSJuly 16, 2019
Job is awesome!! Great pay and decent hours. Friendly staff members! Understanding about health and family needs. Accommodates accordingly if need be!
Great place to work...but not for everyone
Sales & Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 15, 2019
I have had a pleasurable experience working for the USPS. Some people have not though. However, in all jobs there are Pro/Con's. If the organizational culture fits your personal preferences then the USPS will be an awesome place to build a career.
I love my job and to see the smile on my customers faces because I am doing a great job
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 15, 2019
One has to love working hard and hustle for what they want in life. It's not an easy task job, but it allows you to be independent and to live. The most important and interesting part of my job is pleasing my customers.
Most unrewarding & thankless job ever
Mail Carrier (City Carrier Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COJuly 14, 2019
Due to the seniority union culture, no matter how hard or fast you work you are punished by having to do more because other coworkers are manipulating the system! No accountability to your work by supervisors. Too many employees abuse rules and receive no consequences for poor performance performanceinsubordination!
Work culture is very poor
Clerk, letter carrier, supervisor, postmaster. (Former Employee) –  New EnglandJuly 13, 2019
The USPS has always had a bad work culture, however as of the last few years, the work culture has declined to a new low.
All the people that I used to work with has retired and all of the replacements don’t know what they are doing but it’s not all of their fault. The management does not train them properly and hasn’t provide the necessary help.
That is why when you go to the Post Office to do your mailing, it takes forever to work your way thru the lines of people that are there ahead of you.
I would never recommend a career at the “new USPS”.
Pros
Good vacation, Tsp, customers
Cons
Horrible stress, terrible management.
Great place to work - worth the wait
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nampa, IDJuly 13, 2019
Expect to work part time.
Politics like any other job, but union is strong. Not enough hours, need supplemental income, but if you can stick it out, great pay/benefits to retire on.
Hard part is surviving until you are hired on permanent. Most people quit because not enough hours.
There's no ping pong table at the office but what I did love about that in the morning when you was taking your mail you had a conversation with every
Letter carrier /night supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sharon Hill, PAJuly 13, 2019
Overall I love the job I love working with the customers and I love the part where you're Your Own Boss wears though that you was on the street and you had nobody pounding you or around you management and you was not in the office if you can deal with the weather then the post office is a great job cuz you're only delivering letters and packages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

56.6K

Women's ratings

2.6Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss