United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 18,926 reviews matching the search See all 18,961 reviews
Stressful
Rural Mail Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  VAJanuary 20, 2019
Rules change constantly. Great pay and benefits. Good to be outside and meet the community. No advancement in small offices. Responsible for your work and getting it done in evaluated time.
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 19, 2019
Long hours as pre-career city carrier assistant. Benefits not great until you become a regular, career employee, but that can take years. I think I would enjoy it more if/when I promote to regular. Very cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
Just thrown to the wolves
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 19, 2019
While the Post Office provides OJT for CCAs, you are shown the "ropes" (per say) from a veteran employee. My experience with my OJT instructions was fantastic, same can be said for the carrier I shadowed. These individuals made me feel comfortable and part of the team. That cannot be said of the management team.

ONE of the issues I had was the fact that management was not present, there was no direction given. You had fellow carriers offering their numbers for assistance as well as some going as far as given you a break down of the route, however when I started I was told I was to have a 30 and 60 day review, neither of which occurred. In my opinion, this job is suitable for anyone who has little to no responsibilities and can commit 90% of their lives to their career.
Productive and fun work place
PSE Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 19, 2019
First of all is that you must have at least sleep well and eat well. This job is more on moving, lifting and sorting mails. Probably, you have to prepare yourself everyday because this job is more on physical tasks.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
More on lifting tasks that makes body aches.
You really work for your buck
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAJanuary 19, 2019
Did a position at the USPS and got enough work I could chew , the other employees say it like that every Christmas so I can’t really give a full dissertation
Pros
The pay, free parking, lunch breaks & in door plumbing
Cons
Work crazy hours, multitasking, hypocrisy & lack of equipment
Great place to spend my career! Work outside at your own pace.
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 19, 2019
Great place to work overall. I retired before they put the GPS tracking devices on each carrier. I worked there when the carriers were given the freedom to actually "talk" to their customers without suffering discipline for taking the extra time. It is totally different now I think.
Pros
Freedom to work at your own pace as long as you get done on time.
Cons
Poor management, forced overtime, working in the dark.
No comments
Manager Maintenance Operations (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 19, 2019
I worked for the Postal Service for 31 years. I started as a city letter carrier in 1987. I retired in September of 2018. I have received great training opportunities. Postal Service was a good company to work for.
Pros
Training
Stressful but Pays
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 19, 2019
USPS is a fast pace job and its very overwhelming starting out. Once you get the hang of your position its a piece of cake but until then every day is a nightmare.
Worst Job Ever!
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 19, 2019
If you love misery apply for a CCA position. Worst management I ever encountered in any job I ever had! Some supervisors should not be supervisors and the postmaster is clueless. Schedule changes daily and you have no idea how many hours you will be working so forget about having a life! Anything you learn at academy training does not apply in Wilkes Barre! They send you out and except you to know where you are going like a carrier that has been there 20 years!Then you get yelled at for taking to long! STAY AWAY!!!
its for young people
Duties (CCA) City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WV 26101January 19, 2019
expect to work every week end 6 days a week, have to use your own car a lot of the time, management is always on your case to be faster, lack of true training to do the job.
Pros
the money is ok
Cons
6 days a week, part time on insurance
A great part time job
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJanuary 19, 2019
My day started with casing mail (placing mail into individual residential and business slots) , sorting packages in the case order, then pulling down the mail in delivery order, and loading my vehicle with that route's mail. This part of my day required knowing each resident's and business receptical number and placing their mail efficiently, and quickly. I also had to have this knowledge for all 7 of the routes I substituted for.

After loading my vehicle, I delivered the route's mail, which also included scanning and delivering certain mail and packages, often time sensitive. This also required a great deal of customer contact and service.

I would say the hardest part of my job was maintaining my vehicle (a rural carrier has that responsibility, and it's not easy on part time wages). Fortunately, I am married to a mechanic!
And getting into a full time position is very difficult, as all regular carriers keep their positions as long as possible.

I really enjoyed the relative freedom of performing my job with a minimum amount of supervision, as well as being outdoors half of my day (I enjoy physical labor), and most customers and work mates made it a very pleasant experience.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Obtaining full time as a carrier.
I don’t nnow
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJanuary 18, 2019
I don’t know wat you would like me to say about the post office other than it’s a hard and stressful job. Also, if you have kids, this job requires you to sacrifice you time with the kids.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough pay, not flexible
Stable work
Tractor-trailer Operator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 18, 2019
Work pace is easy going. Stable work, not much in money but it's got good retirement benefits that will enjoy once you get to that point. Work now, play later
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NHJanuary 18, 2019
They will work you to death, and promotions are based on time served not how well you perform your job. If you are an overachiever you just end up doing other peoples work too.
Unless you're kissing up to management......
PSE Clerk (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 18, 2019
It's all about seniority there,nothing about work ethic,at least not at the office I was at.If you're career you've got it made,can get away with doing a poor job everyday and just blame all the problems on anyone who's not career.People who've been there for decades know even less than ones who are newer, and have very poor attitudes towards everything.The pse is one of the worst positions.There is NO LIFE outside of the po,you are expected to be on call at all times,they frown apon you having a second job,even if you only get PT hours there,and management pulls strings for certain people and plays head games.Enjoyed what I did there with the mail,the position itself was great and great pay per hour,but not worth the stress you deal with each day with the management and coworkers.Do not trust anyone, just when you do,then they turn on you because everyone there is only there for themselves....Although, almost all the carriers did a fine job...It's like a soap opera there most days,and it seems that good people become door mats and get stepped over for positions when management becomes "friendly" and "unprofessional" with certain people...Another pse review from KY also described the position spot on as well....All in all, very disappointed from what I had expected when I started there.
Pros
Good pay per hour, learn alot about mail
Cons
Non steady hours, management discriminates, lack of trust
Goal driven organization with some bureaucratic structure
Operation Industrial Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 18, 2019
I interned as a Field OIE at San Francisco main P&DC. Our project was to reduce office hours at Post Office Station in downtown. We were trained Lean Six Sigma before the project was introduced. Project involved traveling to different stations in San Francisco with 70% field and 30% office. Overall, it was a fun project interacting with City Carriers, Supervisors, and Manager to complete our project.
Pros
Freedom, try out different tasks to meet the goal.
Cons
Some bureaucracy to wait on approval.
hard to get a hang of the routes especially for a new person
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delano, CAJanuary 18, 2019
Good job invorement but managers are hard on you and its very difficult to get used to the routes given to you. While i worked there i had 2 or 3 routes to learn.
fass paced, hard work and stressful job
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLJanuary 18, 2019
Working at the USPS is a stressful job and is not easy. I you are a flexible person with a flexible schedule, you will do great here. You do need to be able to work on a face paced time scale. The pay is great though.
Very long hours an physical work
Male Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellmawr, NJJanuary 18, 2019
The pay is great, but is management is not willing to work with my school schedule. If you don't have anything of value going on for yourself, this job is perfect.
Love to drive? Deliver mail
Postal Carrier (Former Employee) –  Lupton, MIJanuary 18, 2019
I absolutely loved delivering the mail in a rural area. I was able to get people their mail in a timely manner and the community was grateful for the service I provided.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

56.1K

Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

57%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

62%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss